• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Witness" will have VR compatibility on PC, no support for PSVR

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
IIRC, the VR demo runs natively at 60 fps, but uses the headsets reprojection tech to output at 120 fps. I can't even imagine those weather gifs even being half as pretty in VR.

Woosh.

tuxfool

Banned
Yea, but we don't know just how 30fps Driveclub is when unlocked, and we don't know to what extent it'd be scaled back. For all we know if could be like comparing the X1 and 360 versions of Horizon 2.

Sony's general guidelines are more or less ps3 levels.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Really?...

Yea, but we don't know just how 30fps Driveclub is when unlocked, and we don't know to what extent it'd be scaled back. For all we know if could be like comparing the X1 and 360 versions of Horizon 2.

But PSVR needs to be perfectly locked, which means just as much overkill as 30fps perfectly locked. Unless Driveclub was far beyond perfectly locked? In that case why didn't they just target 60fps?

Danlord

That just mean No Man Sky will not be in VR also on the PSVR but will be on PC.

Then why would Hello Games have PSVR devkits in their offices some time ago? There's no suggestion that they are working on another project other than No Man's Sky and they aren't sub-contracting other games in development alongside No Man's Sky development.

Then why would Hello Games have PSVR devkits in their offices some time ago? There's no suggestion that they are working on another project other than No Man's Sky and they aren't sub-contracting other games in development alongside No Man's Sky development.

Practice.

Ridley327

I do wonder if there might still be some hope for VR on that one on PS4, seeing as Sony has been significantly more hands on for that one than they have been on The Witness. Not that I think it's terribly viable myself, but I think there's at least a glimmer of hope there.

Afrikan

depends when No Man Sky was indevelopment...in comparison to The Witness.

Also I believe the No Man Sky devs took pics of PSVR and Rift on their desk. Hinting it might feature VR.

edit- beaten.

N30RYU

I was holding my purchase just waiting for a PSVR confirmarion to play it for the first with VR... now I'm not sure if I'm really interested in it even waiting for a price drop... guess I'll pass and cross my fingers for it to became a PS+ game in the future to give it a try... or a really really good sale.

Sucks for PSVR adopters, and definitely surprising since Sony has a deal with him.

Game exclusivity will be the death of VR. It's a brand new market, and limiting the opportunity to grow the market will prevent VR from leaving the niche category.

Kind of a weird announcement to make right before release. I was sorta on the fence on buying it for PS4, but I think now I'll just wait for my Rift to come in and then buy it on a summer sale or whatever, not dying to play the game or anything so may as well just savor it in VR.

Danlord

Practice.

I suppose that could be an option, but Hello Games have tested VR before with DK2 in-house and they have been reluctant to talk about VR integration with No Man's Sky in a not-too-subtle way that they're forbidden almost in talking about it for now, which would make sense if Sony would want to push PSVR integration when they advertise No Man's Sky closer to release, which could release around the same time as PSVR would launch.

How did some turn this one announcement into a vr war wth?

Because of the potential implications it has for existing games that has been suggested to support VR with PSVR for example.

Synth

Sony's general guidelines are more or less ps3 levels.

Yea, that's pretty much why I gave that as the potential example.

But PSVR needs to be perfectly locked, which means just as much overkill as 30fps perfectly locked. Unless Driveclub was far beyond perfectly locked? In that case why didn't they just target 60fps?

True about the fps I guess. Still though, until we actually know what's being done to Driveclub to make it work in VR, I think it's a bit early to start expecting other devs to follow. Considering one of the reasons for The Witness' exclusivity was supposedly that it's too much to take on making it for multiple platforms... if getting it running on in VR would require the sort of commitment that would usually be seen in a downport, then it'd kinda defeat the purpose.

FelipeMGM

Well, Rift is coming in march and we dont know when the support will be added soooo

Im still buying on the PS4.

Thats a lot of jumping to conclusions there. Especially for a game we know very little about the deals and its specs

Nzyme32

Hmm, I thought it was 60fps on PS4? If that's true and it holds a solid 60fps I don't know why they wouldn't try to implement it unless there are even more performance costs associated with it.

I could be completely wrong tho, I just read that it was 60fps on GAF.

Well the PC version scales from Intel integrated graphics all the way upwards to whatever you want, so scaling to get 60fps or more for PSVR should not be the problem.

The actual problem may just be the nature of the game and what they want to do in VR. PSVR is largely a forward facing experience since tracking can be lost for input when turning away due to occlusion and a single camera solution. Then again even that might not be the real issue. It could just be that no support is planned "at this time" like they say, and it could be implemented later.

You think every studio with a PSVR devkit develops a game for PSVR, or even releases a PSVR game?

Danlord

You think every studio with a PSVR devkit develops a game for PSVR?

Maybe not but a small indie team with limited resources might not be able to afford to experiment alongside core development.

Besides, for No Man's Sky we know they have VR integration, and every video of NMS for PS4 they've shown in 60fps footage (which isn't interpolated as far as I know) and combined with PSVR devkit in house, reluctance to discuss official VR plans for the game and such, it's looking more plausible that it could support PSVR.

Nzyme32

DK2 support?

There's no word on support yet, but Blow has experimented with VR using Rift headsets and has a Vive kit, so it seems likely unless there is some strict focus on Room Scale alone.

The actual reason for not supporting PSVR but supporting PC VR setups indicates that the VR support is still quite a way off and is preferred specifically because it is easier to implement later. So it may be that VR support is still a long way off.

“Not on PlayStation VR simply because to support that you would’ve had to design the game from the outset,” Blow said. “We started this game a long time ago way before PlayStation VR was a concept so for for this game. We might do some support for PC based UV because it’s easier to add that in later.”

that quote and that article/headline are at odds with one another. in fact that article just plain sucks

Yeah. In general, any publication happy to use "PC Master Race" to identify PC gaming is almost always a poor journalistic entity. The article is marred with spelling mistakes too and reads a bit like a British tabloid.

Portugeezer

I imagine Blow would do it if he could, so there's probably not much overhead on the PS4 to support VR at the game's current fidelity.

That is what he means by it being easier to add in later for PC, because they can add it whenever, and people will be able to run it as long as they meet the specs.

Reallink

Might be a Half Life 2 VR type issue. That games widely considered one of the most sickening experiences on DK2 and they (Sony or Blow) might not want that kind of bad impression on the mainstream PSVR. PC already has a ton of that stuff so its just one more to the heap.

MUnited83

For you.
You can't brute force on Rift. It needs to run without drops on a 970.
? Sure you can. That requirement is for Oculus Store titles only. The Rift can run on games outside of Oculus Store.
Might be a Half Life 2 VR type issue. That games widely considered one of the most sickening experiences on DK2 and they (Sony or Blow) might not want that kind of bad impression on the mainstream PSVR. PC already has a ton of that stuff so its just one more to the heap.

LOL

Uhyve

Rendering a stereoscopic view is much more demanding than a standard render. It's unlikely the game would hold frame-rate at the same fidelity.
In what way? Logically speaking, it shouldn't be that much more demanding, not when you're rendering at half resolution, especially on a console since you don't have so much overhead to worry about (double the drawcalls will hit PC harder pre-DX12).

gdt

yeah buddy

Orayn

Have we had any recent confirmation that The Witness is still 1080p60 on PS4? If that's changed for the worse, that's what I'd expect as the main culprit.

In what way? Logically speaking, it shouldn't be that much more demanding, not when you're rendering at half resolution, especially on a console since you don't have so much overhead to worry about (double the drawcalls will hit PC harder pre-DX12).

It's not "just half the resolution," the general recommendation is to supersample as well. Helps maintain image quality after distorting it for the optics.

FelipeMGM

I spent way too much time trying to figure it out if this is a joke or not.

DriveClub wasn't built with VR in mind though so obviously Jonathons reason is factually incorrect.

You have no idea what level of stress or lack thereof DC puts on the system with the VR helmet. SO Blow designed Witness to be on PS4 at 1080p/60fps, and now he's expected to have been coding it to render twice in your VR headset and remain at 60? Meanwhile on the PC, specs will ever increase so of course he can program for that.

entremet

I think it's foolish to assume PSVR support just because the PC analog gets its it.

Let any announcement stand on its own. It's strange that people would assume such parity given the spec differential.

Top Bottom