• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Witness" will have VR compatibility on PC, no support for PSVR

bitbydeath

You have no idea what level of stress or lack thereof DC puts on the system with the VR helmet. SO Blow designed Witness to be on PS4 at 1080p/60fps, and now he's expected to have been coding it to render twice in your VR headset and remain at 60? Meanwhile on the PC, specs will ever increase so of course he can program for that.

I didn't say it had to be 1:1 with the original just it doesn't need to be built from the ground up with VR in mind.

Will it support the DK2? If so, I'll buy the game on PC. If not, I'll stick with my PS4 purchase of the game for now and rebuy the game once CV1 is out. No way I'll be able to hold off playing until CV1 is out.

bitbydeath

It had to be adapted with several cutbacks. Unless you're arguing for Blow to cut his entire game world in half or similar, he is absolutely right.

Or perhaps no cuts at all, Blow said he isn't looking into it because PS VR didn't exist when the project began not because PS VR can't handle it.

Why do people even assume that this would be a good VR game? Just because it's first person?
Do we even know what makes a good VR game yet really? I get the feeling most people just want to try anything that interests them to see what it's like. I'd love to play this in VR but it's purely because I'm interested in VR and what the devs can do with it.

Why so negative?

Yeah, just another fuel to the platform wars.
It's gloomy days from now on on GAF.
It's funny tho I had foolish dreams that vr would be the one thing we all could come together and say "wow this is amazing" whether from a power standpoint,games,experience I don't get how the console vs of war mentality made its way to vr

Seiru

Banned
Do we even know what makes a good VR game yet really? I get the feeling most people just want to try anything that interests them to see what it's like. I'd love to play this in VR but it's purely because I'm interested in VR and what the devs can do with it.

Why so negative?

I didn't think I was being negative. Just seems to me that if VR seriously a new medium, it shouldn't be something easily tacked on to current experiences.

bitbydeath

It had to be adapted with several cutbacks.

Cutbacks for DriveClub were to increase the FPS from 30->60.

Evolution's Paul Rustchynsky explained that some optimisation has been made to get DriveClub running at 60fps - in contrast to the 30fps the base game runs at - with the car count being reduced from 12 to eight competitors, and with some trackside detail and the nuances of the weather and cloud system being dialled back.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...on-playstation-vr-and-its-mightily-impressive

GHG

Get used to this. I have a feeling VR will be much easier to implement on PC.

Of course it will.

You make it scaleable dependant on hardware but mostly it will only run well on high end PC's. And when people complain that they can't get the definitive VR experience on 2-3 year old PC's you can simply sit back and say "not my problem". That person has the option to either buy better hardware or turn some options down to make the framerate better.

On the ps4 you need to slave away to optimise for it and you need to make sure you get it right.

Uhyve

Have we had any recent confirmation that The Witness is still 1080p60 on PS4? If that's changed for the worse, that's what I'd expect as the main culprit.

It's not "just half the resolution," the general recommendation is to supersample as well. Helps maintain image quality after distorting it for the optics.
From what I've heard, Sony uses a much less aggressive suggestion for their VR supersampling.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I didn't say it had to be 1:1 with the original just it doesn't need to be built from the ground up with VR in mind.

Maybe when your team is 8 people and it took over 7 years to make the game, it feels like an unreasonably difficult task to add VR support for a technically restrictive platform.

Even though he is speaking in the second person general, he might actually mean for their particular game it would have needed to be built for VR from an earlier point in time.

SonyGAF in full defence force in this thread lol. Some funny quotes from the fanboys

'Just give it some time'

'VR is incredibly niche, wise choice'

'The game is not suites for VR anyway'

'They are missing a shit ton of sales now'

'Will pick it up on sale'

'Driveclub'

'Needs some Sony money for optimization'

It's ridiculous how defensive some get over this. The console is to weak, get the fuck over it.

The only thing stopping him is time and money not that it wasn't built with VR in mind.
oLGoxUB.jpg
IMG_20140204_1813521.jpg

MUnited83

For you.
The only thing stopping him is time and money not that it wasn't built with VR in mind.

And yet he has the time and money to support PC VR? That doesn't make much sense.

The game experience as he wants it to be just couldn't be achieved on PSVR. It is as simple as that. That's all there is to it. Do you want to try and argue that Driveclub VR is only cutting back in several ways because the devs have no time and money? Guess what, the Driveclub VR isn't the complete Driveclub experience either.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

He's saying this game needs to be in development process in order to have PSVR support.

Not all games are build in the same way. There are several variables which could impact the difficulty of implementing VR support. Could be the game engine, game programming codes and others. In this case, his game is simply made in a way where it'll be extremely hard to have PSVR support

SonyGAF in full defence force in this thread lol. Some funny quotes from the fanboys

'Just give it some time'

'Driveclub'

It's ridiculous how defensive some get over this. The console is to weak, get the fuck over it.
You're embarrassing yourself seriously. The fact everything turns into some platform war even with vr is pathetic

'Just give it some time'

'Driveclub'

Console is not too weak and its just he does not want to port it because of efforts needed for that. Also he took almost 8 years to get the game out, so he does not want to work on PS VR support unless the game sold very well in PS4 which is the truth.

Console is not too weak and its just he does not want to port it because of efforts needed for that. Also he took almost 8 years to get the game out, so he does not want to work on PS VR support unless the game sold very well in PS4 which is the truth.
Now you can read minds?

rambis

Banned

'Just give it some time'

'Driveclub'

Somehow with this one post you manage to be more defensive than anybody.

Reading the quote and the explanation, why exactly is their controversy in the first place? His explanation has nothing to do with power.

Reallink

I spent way too much time trying to figure it out if this is a joke or not.

Not a joke, it's really the only logical conclusion to draw from his comments. We know the PC version will scale down to a toaster and an Xbone version is coming, certainly they could get an adequate approximation of the game on PSVR. Straight porting a first person title into VR with standard controls has a very high chance of making people sick (50%+ in some cases). PSVR is a walled garden with certification requirements, we don't yet know what Sony is going to let through. That is in stark contrast to Steam where you can publish anything.

Somehow with this one post you manage to be more defensive than anybody.

Reading the quote and the explanation, why exactly is their controversy in the first place? His explanation has nothing to do with power.
There is no controversy that's the thing it's not coming to psvr but may come to pcvr later that's all he said. Somehow that made people go lol power and so forth. I probably sound like a parrot at this point but I really don't get why the start of something as mind blowing as vr has to immediately turn into a power pc vs console war

bitbydeath

And yet he has the time and money to support PC VR? That doesn't make much sense.

Maybe only has money for one and placed his bets on Occulus?

BernadoOne said:
The game experience as he wants it to be just couldn't be achieved on PSVR. It is as simple as that. That's all there is to it. Do you want to try and argue that Driveclub VR is only cutting back in several ways because the devs have no time and money? Guess what, the Driveclub VR isn't the complete Driveclub experience either.

Cutbacks were to get DriveClub to run at 60fps. (I put the quote in above someplace)

But this could be said of nearly anything.

So doesn't that make it the logical conclusion as opposed to not building with VR in mind from the get-go?

He's saying this game needs to be in development process in order to have PSVR support.

Not all games are build in the same way. There are several variables which could impact the difficulty of implementing VR support. Could be the game engine, game programming codes and others. In this case, his game is simply made in a way where it'll be extremely hard to have PSVR support

Doesn't mean it can't be done though, just time and money are the factors.

The time and money required to support VR on PC is lower than on PS4, I'd imagine- for PC you have to support the output format and have an interface that doesn't suck with it. For PS4 you have to do that *and* scale your game's GPU demands down to the point where it can output at that resolution at a solid 60fps or higher, as opposed to the PC where you can put the expectation on the user to have hardware beefy enough to handle that. Sony has the money and motivation to do that with Driveclub, Blow doesn't with The Witness.

Cartman86

Banned
Using a standard controller or keyboard/mouse to move around in a first person game sucks. It makes you sick. It just does and nothing can be done to solve it. Games have to designed specifically to counter this. So cockpit games, games where you teleport for locomotion etc. This game is the perfect game for teleportation and with the experience Blow had with the Vive it seems very obvious that if he's going to do VR it will be with "room" scale first. PSVR and Oculus can't do this for a variety of reasons. Occlusion, lack of proper inputs, using cameras to track, controller drift etc. It's not impossible to design an interface with these headsets but it won't be ideal.

RiverKwai

For PS4 you have to do that *and* scale your game's GPU demands down to the point where it can output at that resolution at a solid 60fps or higher, .

The Witness is already 1080p @60fps on PS4. So it's not like you'd have to do much. I assume there'd be SOME overhead for barrel distortion and whatnot, but it's not like they are having to find 30 more FPS or anything. Remember that PSVR is a single screen solution, unlike Oculus/Vive so it's not doubling the image resolution, it's halving it,

vpance

Using a standard controller or keyboard/mouse to move around in a first person game sucks. It makes you sick. It just does and nothing can be done to solve it. Games have to designed specifically to counter this. So cockpit games, games where you teleport for locomotion etc. This game is the perfect game for teleportation and with the experience Blow had with the Vive it seems very obvious that if he's going to do VR it will be with "room" scale first. PSVR and Oculus can't do this for a variety of reasons. Occlusion, lack of proper inputs, using cameras to track, controller drift etc. It's not impossible to design an interface with these headsets but it won't be ideal.

Can't they just disable things like strafing and back pedaling? And make the char move slow?

The Witness is already 1080p @60fps on PS4. So it's not like you'd have to do much. I assume there'd be SOME overhead for barrel distortion and whatnot, but it's not like they are having to find 30 more FPS or anything. Remember that PSVR is a single screen solution, unlike Oculus/Vive so it's not doubling the image resolution, it's halving it,

IIRC PS VR requires 1/2 the pixels/sec that OR does and 1/4 Vive if you choose to render at 60hz on PS4.

"The Witness is already 1080p @60fps on PS4. So it's not like you'd have to do much. I assume there'd be SOME overhead for barrel distortion and whatnot, but it's not like they are having to find 30 more FPS or anything. Remember that PSVR is a single screen solution, unlike Oculus/Vive so it's not doubling the image resolution, it's halving it,"

AFAIK, PSVR still renders the game once per eye for stereoscopic 3D just like Rift and Vive which is where the big performance hit comes from. Furthermore, Rift and Vive are using two 1080x1200 displays, one per eye. PSVR is splitting that one screen into two 960x1080 regions. They're both "halving" the resolution.

Nif

My impression is that this is a "Hey, here's a VR option for people who want to dick around in the world, but I don't think it's fun to play it this way. Don't hold me accountable if it's terrible". Less risk putting it out as an option on PC than labeling it as a PSVR title.

sono

Ok so this doesnt seem to make much sense, being one of the games advertised in PS4 launch trailers.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Maybe only has money for one and placed his bets on Occulus?

Cutbacks were to get DriveClub to run at 60fps. (I put the quote in above someplace)

So doesn't that make it the logical conclusion as opposed to not building with VR in mind from the get-go?

Doesn't mean it can't be done though, just time and money are the factors.

I am guessing time and money that he require will be significantly huge and unrealistic. That'll be like saying you can walk from the US to China on foot and then walk that great wall of China. Technically you can do that, but its unrealistic. Or you for some reason have enough money to afford an air ticket.

cheezcake

So much drama over such a small statement.

I think it's pretty obvious he's not talking about PS4's power as the reason he's no developing for PSVR. He's talking about having begun development and continued with a certain target (1080p@60fps I assume) on a closed platform, trying to shift that target to what should be 1080p@90fps while also creating a need to bug test what is effectively a new platform late in development is a super fucking tall order for any small developer. Not everyone has the resources of Sony AAA first party.

On PC devkit availability for Oculus was available earlier and he doesn't have to worry about improving performance as people with beefier rigs will probably easily achieve the necessary perf reqs for VR without any intervention from the devs.

Top Bottom