• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Trailer (Director's Edition)

so1337

I had to close the window after about 5 minutes. That said, the scope of this looks incredible. Reminds me of a time when developers had higher ambitions than just a forgettable 5 hour campaign.

Tenki

franco-so-good.gif

There it is, the GOTY 2013.

Alright alright...

a mod has to do the title though

I don't see how it's spoilers so much as its demonstrating that "hey this game actually has a pretty cool story" but I guess I don't have to

Hey guys, lets spoil:

The team is hiding something from Wondereyes Red and that kid complaining at the end of the opening of the game is probably going to transform in Red because it was foreshowed in a flashback at the opening in the game

Amneisac

I'm glad there's a demo, I seriously want to see what the fuck this game is all about.

Also, it's a little bit disappointing that the only female character is a dominatrix, but whatever - I don't want to start that debate in here!

Kid Ying

Kamiya just retweeted this

@PG_jp 4 min
Oh yeah… if you think that was a spoiler trailer… that wasn’t a spoiler trailer. #wonderful101 #NintendoDirect

Oh yeah, man. All into my veins. I can not be more hyped for this.

Revven

Kamiya just retweeted this

@PG_jp 4 min
Oh yeah… if you think that was a spoiler trailer… that wasn’t a spoiler trailer. #wonderful101 #NintendoDirect

Oh yeah, man. All into my veins. I can not be more hyped for this.

..........Oh... my god....

The Lamp

Okay I went from buying a Wii U next year for Smash to maybe having to buy one soon...this trailer was just too good.

jmls1121

Banned
This looks like Platinum's Masterpiece. The culmination of all their action design concepts rolled up into one beautiful game.

This game. THIS GAME.

moggio

Banned
Last of Us says otherwise. Not trying to hate. Wonderful 101 looks amazing but the GOTY talk is going too far. It's gaf. I get it.

The Last of Us was a good game that succeeded mostly because of the exceptional storytelling.

Gameplay wise though... nah.

Galdius

I can't wait untill September to play it. I still remember the demo that I played last year on Eurogamer Expo and I absolutely loved it.

Neiteio

Last of Us says otherwise. Not trying to hate. Wonderful 101 looks amazing but the GOTY talk is going too far. It's gaf. I get it.
Last of Us is my current GOTY, as well, but I suggest you actually watch the TW101 trailer and think about who's making it and consider the reviewers saying we haven't seen a tenth of what this game has to offer. TLOU will have some competition in TW101. Just another reason 2013 has been one of gaming's best years. :)

Break out the spoiler warnings people - the team captain and the team hotshot clash heads. Never saw that coming :p

Anyway the game looks good. Looking forward to playing the demo... eventually ::mutter noa mutter::

Meier

Watched the first 4 or so minutes. It really does look fantastic. Been openly bullish on this since the first reveal. Once Nintendo drops the price, I'm all in for Pikmin and W101. Hopefully it happens prior to Zelda.

The Last of Us is an interactive setpiece movie.

W101 is a video game.

I like video games better. This will likely be my GOTY.

Can't speak on The Last of Us properly at all but I watched a playthrough of parts of it and wasn't impressed.

I didn't get any context of the story but the gameplay seemed nothing new.

OryoN

Like I said; this is standard trailer material, not really spoilers. We've seen this style trailers time and time again, without knowing exactly how a plot comes together.

Beautiful trailer, btw!

Neiteio

W101 is a video game.

Dude, I'm a huge Nintendo fan and looking forward to TW101, as well, but you have no idea what you're talking about with TLOU if you're calling it an "interactive setpiece movie." You look like a Nintendo fanboy when you say completely untrue statements like that. Have you played TLOU?

W101 is a video game.

I knew it

I knew as soon as that guy name dropped TLOU as GotY there would be some moronic nintendo fanboy comments such as this to overcompensate for it.

JDSN

Banned
Wpw, amazing trailer, it looks like its gonna be a fun story on top of amazing gameplay.

Yep, TW101 or any kind of movie or book wont reach the mature highs that The Last of Us provide, best story since the renaissance. #realtears #GOTF #fuckbioshock

Neiteio

Since calling TLoU an "interactive setpiece movie" is one of the greatest lies in videogames, I'll post what I've written elsewhere:

Let's start by establishing TLoU is NOT like Uncharted. I like UC2, but I never thought the gameplay was anything special. Its appeal to me was, and remains, its audiovisual presentation, and the way it shuttles the player through a variety of technically impressive set-pieces. But again: I never thought the gameplay in UC2 was anything special.

The Last of Us is a whole different beast, though. Most players will hardly ever shoot their guns in TLoU. Those who do will find themselves scouring every nook and cranny of the environment looking for bullets. I usually only had three bullets per gun -- maybe seven or nine, tops. So when you resort to your gun, you make sure "every shot counts," as Joel says. And when the bullet connects, there's none of the "sponginess" of Uncharted. In TLoU, bullets obliterate enemies, as they should; hell, shotguns will even dismember and disembowel (though there is an option to disable gore). It's raw, it's brutal. Your character doesn't fare well, either; power weapons will knock your character on his ass, and it can be a struggle to get back to your feet.

So, you often avoid direct combat. You crouch and tip-toe around the environment. You survey your surroundings for enemies. You slip through doorways and hop through open windows, effortlessly seguing straight back into a crouching stance. You throw bricks and bottles to distract enemies, drawing them to the opposite corner of the room. You lure them away, and sneak by... or maybe strangle them, at the risk of causing noise... or maybe grab them to hold them hostage as a human shield... or maybe throw them to the ground and hold them at gunpoint, forcing them to beg for mercy... or in most cases, if you've crafted a shiv from sufficient bindings and blades you scrounged up in the cabinets and closets and drawers, you stick them in the jugular, bleeding them out. Their comrades won't hear the kill, but they might find it later... They'll grow alert, intensify their patrolling... If they see you have a gun, they'll change their strategy completely, going on the defensive... They can spot you by the shine of your flashlight, so you'll want to turn it off. You can cause a stir to lure them into nail bombs you crafted, or hide behind furniture and wait for the opportune moment to throw a Molotov you scrapped together from rags and liquor. You can arm yourself with planks and pipes and hatchets and machetes. You can power up your blunt bludgeoning devices with blades. You can silently snipe enemies with a bow, provided you account for the trajectory and time it just right... Then you can retrieve the arrow, if it doesn't break on impact. You can flank your enemies, stalk them, elude them, up and down flights of stairs, through holes in the walls, down fire escapes, up ladders, in and out of bathrooms and utility closets, behind bars.

And those are just the human enemies. Then you have the runners, the stalkers, the clickers, the bloaters. All well within your ability to handle them, provided you're patient and observant. The controls in TLoU are streamlined and sensible, weighty and deliberate. None of the over-sensitive fiddly-ness of MGS controls... Nothing frustrating or unfair about the enemies. The enemies are smartly placed, in multi-tiered environments with numerous ways in and out, with copious bricks and bottles, with many solutions to the same puzzle, each encounter playing out like a clockwork construct no matter which way you approach it. The enemies telegraph their routines well, but they still have enough spontaneity to make them seem alive. The effect of the experience is something dynamic, something organic, with layers like an onion -- I'm on the final stretch of my second play-through, and it's remarkable how differently my enemy encounters played out this go-around, and how much tighter this replay feels, which is saying something, since the first playthrough was also well-paced and immensely gratifying.

BOTTOM LINE: I wasn't hyped for The Last of Us, and I've never considered myself a Naughty Dog "fan." I was merely so-so on UC2 and UC3. But TLoU is a legitimately excellent GAME... It's deep yet accessible... Tightly designed... Deftly paced... It's a subtle game, with lots of quiet downtime, lots of meditative moments... It exercises remarkable restraint I would've never associated with ND after the Uncharted trilogy. And semi-frequent enemy encounters are richly rewarding in their tactical complexity, in the way they encourage improvisation and experimentation. Many sequences are harrowing in their odds; you frequently feel vulnerable, and running away, hiding, sneaking and avoiding enemies altogether is often a viable strategy. It's that back and forth between predator and prey, the way it's executed so confidently here, that makes the action in TLoU so addictive. And then the world is so well-realized that you're not only driven to see the next story beat, but to pore over the background narrative cobbled together with notes and recorders and environmental details that trace the trajectory of mankind's struggle in a post-pandemic world.

Soooooo GOOD!

Top Bottom