• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

They're never fixing MCC, are they?

nynt9

I played all of the single player campaigns in Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST and Halo 4). I never ran into any bugs and I was really happy with it. I played on Heroic difficulty. The only complaints I had was I did not like Halo 4's Spartan Ops and I thought some of the achievements in HMCC were not great.

One other thing. I think this thread and Neogaf's coverage of HMCC has been unfair. When I played HMCC, I expected it to be a disaster because of what I read on Neogaf. Instead, I found out it was a really good game bundle. I think Neogaf's coverage could be improved if thread titles stated what was broken and stated when the person tried playing the game.

If you think gaf is the only place that has issues with the game you're in for a rude awakening, but I don't think you'll change your mind anyway.

E92 M3

I played all of the single player campaigns in Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST and Halo 4). I never ran into any bugs and I was really happy with it. I played on Heroic difficulty. The only complaints I had was I did not like Halo 4's Spartan Ops and I thought some of the achievements in HMCC were not great.

One other thing. I think this thread and Neogaf's coverage of HMCC has been unfair. When I played HMCC, I expected it to be a disaster because of what I read on Neogaf. Instead, I found out it was a really good game bundle. I think Neogaf's coverage could be improved if thread titles stated what was broken and stated when the person tried playing the game.

Do you work for 343 lmao?

I've never had a console game where I had more crashes and hard locks. I recall having to restart 2 different missions too because it checkpointed me right before whatever was causing a crash and I couldn't get past it without retriggering the crash. This was SP stuff. Didn't even bother with MP after the nightmare of that first month trying to get it to work.

If it's still broken, I guess they called it a lost cause. Wouldn't be surprised if the base was too fragile to ever truly make it right.

They've already said it's barely held together currently. I think it was if one thing gets fixed, 5 other things don't work and the state they have it in is the best they could do. I think the project was way too ambitious. Halo 3 and Halo 4 came out great, Halo 2 was alright but Halo 1 was just insane porting not only the 360 remaster but also the PC multiplayer and the original Xbox campaign which has more effects than either the 360 or PC editions and it's still missing effects in certain areas. Adding Live support to Halo 1 must have been a huge pain since it was made for dedicated server only, and it shows. Just way too many different games to integrate into one thing. The networking is probably it's biggest issue by far.

If you play solo, it works pretty much fine. Add any players and it gets rough. I played through the campaigns without hiccups myself, but I always had trouble finding multiplayer games with a queue bigger than 1.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
bought this collection end 2015 finished all campaigns on solo didn't see a single bug.
however.

i almost never played online.

Deja

I just wish they'd have delayed it and been upfront that it was a mess, and more time was needed. I'd have been fine with that, but spending upwards of £300 on a system and getting it back and not being able to play the one game I really cared about has really lost Microsoft favour with me. Of course I've bought and enjoyed many many games on my Xbox One, but aside from Gears 4, I could've got them on other platforms

Unless they buck up their ideas, get some more decent first party and treat customers with respect, I'll be jumping ship next time it comes to buy a new console. I still love Halo, I always will, but no longer enough for me to buy their box, which as someone who owned the OG, 360 and One mainly for those Halo games, that should be counted as a failure on their part. Then again, I came back to Nintendo, so they could deffo win me back if they address those concerns I have.

VDenter

Banned
They rushed this game in order to make it launch on time with the Halo 2 anniversary. It was a huge part of the marketing and if the game missed that date it would look pretty embarrassing. While all the single player stuff worked fine the multiplayer was such a mess and having that be the case for a Halo game is quite depressing. I bet that if they were to fix it they would have by now. If they do a Halo 3 anniversary bundle with Reach or something i hope they do not mess that up completely.

Fox Mulder

They already got the sales bump and holiday slot from this game at launch. MS shipped it broken and dont care it's still considered broken, they got your money.

Halo is dead to me anyways. 343's direction isn't for me at all.

ps3ud0

Still don't understand why MS allowed this to happen and still didn't throw money at it to get it fixed. Every other platform holder would have done by now if it was their tent pole franchise.

Just pretending it doesn't exist will probably do more harm than good.

ps3ud0 8)

Smokey

REALLY ambitious project. In theory it should've absolutely been a heavy weight for Xbox. All 4 Halo games with MP + H2A? Man. To screw it up like they did is one of my all time disappointments in gaming. Probably got too complex for it's own good.

Probably started the downward trend of the franchise in terms of sales.

Deja

Those saying single player was fine out the box aren't being accurate to the wider user base either, I don't think. I've no doubt it's fine for those who say it is, I mean I'll give the benefit of the doubt because I really don't think people would lie. But yeah, I had numerous single player issues in the months before the first patch.

Those saying single player was fine out the box aren't being accurate to the wider user base either, I don't think. I've no doubt it's fine for those who say it is, I mean I'll give the benefit of the doubt because I really don't think people would lie. But yeah, I had numerous single player issues in the months before the first patch.

I love Halo but even I can't say tha MMC worked.

In the first week I managed to get Halo 4 to go to the debug screen. The god damn debug screen.

Kill3r7

SP experience is not bad, especially after several patches but Co-Op is still hit or miss, mostly miss.

343 has killed the franchise for me. I used to buy Halo at midnight launches each and every time, get the expensive special editions, buy figures, shirts etc.

I rage quit Halo 4 and nothing I've seen since has interested me. Sad to have a franchise I loved dead to me like this, but that's how it is.

same =(

It's sad people are still struggling with this game. I am happy for those that just play single player and somehow got everything to work.

I bought the game for co-op and online multiplayer and bought an Xbone for this huge amazing halo package. I no longer own that Xbone.

My friend and I tried to play co-op on the hardest difficulty but suffered hard console crashes almost every mission, having to start again repeatedly on the hardest difficulty is soul crushing when it's because the game freezes your console.

Dervius

A game dev friend of mine said that he'd heard that MCC was essentially held together with duct tape, any time they tried to fix anything something else catastrophically crashed.

Cost of having so many different games in one package I suppose.

So no, it's likely this will never get fixed without some significant investment from MS, and I can't see that happening without the potential for significant revenue.,

Sephzilla

MCC was such a colossal disaster that it completely soured my love of anything Halo that's been touched by 343. This game was in such a bad launch state that it should have been recalled.

And honestly, in hindsight, red flags should have went up all over the place when it was discovered that multiplayer was a day one patch

Deja

MCC was such a colossal disaster that it completely soured my franchise on anything Halo that's been touched by 343. This game was in such a bad launch state that it should have been recalled.

And honestly, in hindsight, red flags should have went up all over the place when it was discovered that multiplayer was a day one patch

Preach.

nstine

All I wanna do is play Halo 3 ODST with my friends, but I can't connect most of the time, and on those RARE occasions that I do connect with my friends, we try loading a mission and the screen doesn't load at all.

They've just given up at this point, haven't they? I can't figure out how to troubleshoot at all. We've managed, like... two times to play together, but that's it. It's frustrating as heck. I wish they'd just bring the 360 games to backwards compatibility already so I could actually play with my friends.

Is there some magical troubleshooting step I've missed? I've reset the console, backed out of the update OS ring, reset my router, my modem, everything. I don't know what else to do. I'm just not gonna get to play this game with my friends, am I?

Just wondering, but what is your nat type in network settings and have you and your friends tried assigning a static ip to your xbox one's and opening ports on your router for halo/xbox live?

I know the game is supposed to use dedicated servers with p2p as a fallback, but I'm not sure how often dedicated servers are used and in which modes. The fact that you can't connect with your friends makes it sound like a p2p network issue. Ideally you would all want to have an open nat type under network settings.

-UI is will occasionally cut so multiple pages appear at once or things are out of alignment
-Matchmaking will get hung up and often returns unbalanced teams
-Hit detection in all of the games is off. Sometimes shots landed on the player or on online opponents do not register damage as they should. (Not a lag problem)
-Online coop will often fail to load or the games will desync. Lag in coop often makes it unplayable (meanwhile halo 5 is fine so not a isp problem)
-Individual games do not perform as they intended lots of glitches and bugs. There is a website devoted to just halo 1 bugs. http://www.halobugs.com/#?s=most_recent?v=halo_mcc
-Halo 1 and 2 are PC ports which means they are a port of a port this leads to lots of small issues. One example is in halo 2 single player there is an enemy vehicle that should attack you but because the physics engine is bugged the enemies flip their vehicle over on spawn and just stand around it.

Now there are tons of missing features that aren't related to bugs or things that are broken like full armor customization, working player emblems in Halo 2 to see where your friends are on the map for callouts, just to name a few.

They should get all of the bugs fixed, add in Reach and ODST firefight, release a Scorpio patch, and add it to games pass or games with gold to increase the population. Incredibly sad to see halo treated so poorly.

Marcel

Major Nelson's alt account?

There'#s absolutely NO WAY they didn't know the game would be shipped like this during development. I can't believe that quote from the Waypoint where a guy from 343 said so. Such an unbelievable game basically ruined for who knows what reason.

Kssio_Aug

They will announce a new patch together with the W10 version, this E3.
:)

Major Nelson's alt account?

Do you work for 343 lmao?

In his defense, since he said about the single player campaign I have to say I had no issue with it either. Except in Halo 2 that sometimes wasn't saving my progress in the middle of a level, but since it stopped happening I think it was patched.

But other than that I played through all campaigns (Halo CE, 2A, 3, ODST and 4) without any problems. I think it was a pretty damn good value.

However, the multiplayer was totally messed up. I had tons of problems with it till the point I bought Halo 5 and gave up MCC's multiplayer.

Lil Marco

Banned
This is me as well. I'm never buying another game for a MS platform until this is fixed - and I'm doing just fine without them at the moment.

Shit's a disgrace.

Same. I left xbox (sold my X1, downgraded my Live to silver/free) after they trashed the Halo franchise. Around that same time my X1 had the optical drive die just a month after the warranty so it was a nail in the coffin for me in terms of frustration.

The 360 remains as one of my favorite consoles ever, though. I'm open to coming back if the price is right and if Microsoft gets their shit together but that doesn't seem to be happening. They make truly boneheaded product and IP management decisions.

They will announce a new patch together with the W10 version, this E3.
:)

In his defense, since he said about the single player campaign I have to say I had no issue with it either. Except in Halo 2 that sometimes wasn't saving my progress in the middle of a level, but since it stopped happening I think it was patched.

But other than that I played through all campaigns (Halo CE, 2A, 3, ODST and 4) without any problems. I think it was a pretty damn good value.

However, the multiplayer was totally messed up. I had tons of problems with it till the point I bought Halo 5 and gave up MCC's multiplayer.

I got it back in 2014 for Christmas and I played the original halo on the collection and would occasionally encounter floating or spinning weapons in mid air and through solid walls or some of the covenant dead suspended in the air. Nothing big I guess but still. Decent collection I guess but nothing special.

If a patch doesn't drop with Scorpio then I wouldn't expect it. I wouldn't expect it anyway, but if there's even the tiniest glimmer of hope that they will, it'll be this fall.

I personally had no issues in the campaign or in Halo 3 multiplayer, but I started having problems finding matches outside of 3. I'd love a Scorpio patch or even a PC
lol
release though.

EMT0

Banned
I bought an Xbox and the MCC on the promise that I'd finally get to try out the Halo franchise in its entirety. Yeah...no, that didn't happen. My very first level I ended up with my body flying through space and unable to access any menus.

And that's when I learned to not give Microsoft my money

There seems to be a thread about this every month.

Frankie seems to post here regularly. I am surprised he doesn't respond to these threads or atleast give us a statement.

The only way this is going to be fixed if we tweet Phil and him. Make them recognise that the game broken nearly 3 years after release is still unacceptable.

You take the time to go through my post and/or game history. I can list more than 12 Aussie gamertags of mates and I getting together weekly for 6-9 months of MCC since launch day, see every Halo game release we step up to a weekly night of customs/matchmaking and an annual LAN party too. MCC killed the fuck out of this group, I do not exaggerate in the slightest. I want to love Halo, I championed specific game links, crashes, videos and more. I would go as far as being one of the most dedicated groups of Halo buddies going for customs/matchmaking from Australia, if not the most dedicated at it for months on end.

Sure the campaigns worked with minimal bugs but using P2P things were unplayable, check my game history for coop on campaigns, we didn't get through much at all. Friends left Halo, less than 50% trialled Halo 5 with Aussie dedicated servers that were hell for more than 6 months post launch from Australia. Less than 10% of a near 20 person crew even play Halo anymore since Halo 4 days.

We even returned to 4 man a legendary playthrough of ODST campaign, it shit the bed in the second or third mission, we tried for 3 nights and gave the fuck up completely. Single player campaign still has great value for money, matchmaking and coop are a total waste of space IMO.

It speaks volumes, don't sit there and tell me I wasn't specific with feedback or technical research or patience or getting my mates to play together weekly. Fucking party chat was a joke for 12 months and you couldn't even stay in a party of 5 or 6 for more than 30 seconds. Christ take me back to Halo 2 voicemasking parties or Halo 3 ranked/social, the shit just worked, all the time. Latency riddled host advantage pure addictive fun but it just worked and we had a fucking blast for years.

Am I salty? Not so much anymore but I still can't find games in Australia with anything but expanded Halo 5 searches, I uninstalled MCC completely and refuse to reinstall just to play a campaign or two that happen to work, as they bloody well should consistently and from day one. I loved the H2A remake, loved it, well done to the studio. As for moving forward I don't level Aussie population issues at just the studio or a single Halo game but the xbox platform caused much of this, MCC issues/lack of dedis, platform changes post launch, crap matchmaking filters, stalled launches with H5 (in terms of Australian region). It all adds up to me still loving what is coming with Halo campaigns and multiplayer, Warzone is fun but I miss objective and 4v4 less eSports Halo. I feel the studio and platform effort, experience and systems now are mature enough to hopefully sell a shit tonne of Scorpio consoles just so my favourite franchise can entice my friends back to play and hopefully find some new friends to play with too.

Halo 5 is finding Aussies when they're there, friends or new players, the engine and platform features are what they should be a launch but I cross my fingers Xbox/343 don't reinvent the wheel with the next mainline Halo game. Just deliver at launch and blow us away with new content post launch. Oh and dial it up to 11 on Scorpio please.

As an outside arm chair specialist my advice is reduce and simplify from the excellent base/hard work of getting Halo 5 to its current state so you can focus on delivering consistent high quality services and content at launch. AAA standard no exceptions.

jviggy43

There seems to be a thread about this every month.

Frankie seems to post here regularly. I am surprised he doesn't respond to these threads or atleast give us a statement.

The only way this is going to be fixed if we tweet Phil and him. Make them recognise that the game broken nearly 3 years after release is still unacceptable.

Came in here to post this. I imagine Frankie probably doesn't want to be making any definitive statements on here about the game which would then likely be reported on and bring the subject up to more scrutiny when as it stands, its forgotten about.

Which tells you how big of a debacle this is. MS's biggest franchise is being kept quiet so as to ignore just how much of a broken mess the MCC is to this day. As an avid fan of the original trilogy, it really fucking sucks.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Came in here to post this. I imagine Frankie probably doesn't want to be making any definitive statements on here about the game which would then likely be reported on and bring the subject up to more scrutiny when as it stands, its forgotten about.

Which tells you how big of a debacle this is. MS's biggest franchise is being kept quiet so as to ignore just how much of a broken mess the MCC is to this day. As an avid fan of the original trilogy, it really fucking sucks.

I'm sure Frankie knows how much of a disaster MCC has been. There's nothing really for him to say at this point.

Don't remind me!
"Blah blah blah the campaigns run fine."
Fuck the campaigns. For console owners this(Halo 2 to start)was the competitive online experience to start it all.
A lot of us wanted a return to glory if only for the nostalgia but we got robbed. Absolutely no exaggeration.

jviggy43

I'm sure Frankie knows how much of a disaster MCC has been. There's nothing really for him to say at this point.

an official "no were never fixing the game you were promised" is what I imagine people who start threads like this want; which is why I'm sure they wont get it.

e93.jpg

You take the time to go through my post and/or game history. I can list more than 12 Aussie gamertags of mates and I getting together weekly for 6-9 months of MCC since launch day, see every Halo game release we step up to a weekly night of customs/matchmaking and an annual LAN party too. MCC killed the fuck out of this group, I do not exaggerate in the slightest. I want to love Halo, I championed specific game links, crashes, videos and more. I would go as far as being one of the most dedicated groups of Halo buddies going for customs/matchmaking from Australia, if not the most dedicated at it for months on end.

Sure the campaigns worked with minimal bugs but using P2P things were unplayable, check my game history for coop on campaigns, we didn't get through much at all. Friends left Halo, less than 50% trialled Halo 5 with Aussie dedicated servers that were hell for more than 6 months post launch from Australia. Less than 10% of a near 20 person crew even play Halo anymore since Halo 4 days.

We even returned to 4 man a legendary playthrough of ODST campaign, it shit the bed in the second or third mission, we tried for 3 nights and gave the fuck up completely. Single player campaign still has great value for money, matchmaking and coop are a total waste of space IMO.

It speaks volumes, don't sit there and tell me I wasn't specific with feedback or technical research or patience or getting my mates to play together weekly. Fucking party chat was a joke for 12 months and you couldn't even stay in a party of 5 or 6 for more than 30 seconds. Christ take me back to Halo 2 voicemasking parties or Halo 3 ranked/social, the shit just worked, all the time. Latency riddled host advantage pure addictive fun but it just worked and we had a fucking blast for years.

Am I salty? Not so much anymore but I still can't find games in Australia with anything but expanded Halo 5 searches, I uninstalled MCC completely and refuse to reinstall just to play a campaign or two that happen to work, as they bloody well should consistently and from day one. I loved the H2A remake, loved it, well done to the studio. As for moving forward I don't level Aussie population issues at just the studio or a single Halo game but the xbox platform caused much of this, MCC issues/lack of dedis, platform changes post launch, crap matchmaking filters, stalled launches with H5 (in terms of Australian region). It all adds up to me still loving what is coming with Halo campaigns and multiplayer, Warzone is fun but I miss objective and 4v4 less eSports Halo. I feel the studio and platform effort, experience and systems now are mature enough to hopefully sell a shit tonne of Scorpio consoles just so my favourite franchise can entice my friends back to play and hopefully find some new friends to play with too.

Halo 5 is finding Aussies when they're there, friends or new players, the engine and platform features are what they should be a launch but I cross my fingers Xbox/343 don't reinvent the wheel with the next mainline Halo game. Just deliver at launch and blow us away with new content post launch. Oh and dial it up to 11 on Scorpio please.

As an outside arm chair specialist my advice is reduce and simplify from the excellent base/hard work of getting Halo 5 to its current state so you can focus on delivering consistent high quality services and content at launch. AAA standard no exceptions.
The thing is that I've noticed with MCC in the past couple years, not in it's first year since I have no context for it that some players have almost no problem playing the game while others can't get it to work for the life of them. I've had minimal issues with it solo at best, and matchmaking was always slower when with more than one person. The campaigns, two of which I beat with a friend, played almost flawlessly save for two or three disconnects. I'm not defending anything here but wondering why this game seems to be so dramatically different for people for seemingly no reason - it's incomprehensible. The poster you replied to probably did have exactly the experience he claimed, since I had a good one too. But then there's you, and other people who have nothing but problems. It's so confusing man.

The thing is that I've noticed with MCC in the past couple years, not in it's first year since I have no context for it that some players have almost no problem playing the game while others can't get it to work for the life of them. I've had minimal issues with it solo at best, and matchmaking was always slower when with more than one person. The campaigns, two of which I beat with a friend, played almost flawlessly save for two or three disconnects. I'm not defending anything here but wondering why this game seems to be so dramatically different for people for seemingly no reason - it's incomprehensible. The poster you replied to probably did have exactly the experience he claimed, since I had a good one too. But then there's you, and other people who have nothing but problems. It's so confusing man.

Given the regional nature of Azure Cloud running all this behind the scenes for Xbox I'm guessing there is some hybrid of old engine tech and new engine tech in terms of networking. Literally outside of USA and you're fucked I think it he answer. It did improve and for the most part campaigns were fine solo, coop wasn't and multiplayer just didn't work for us in Australia. I think even the ISP you're with can determine issues with Azure networking from my research e.g. in Australia the #1 ISP Telstra doesn't play nice with Azure datacentres period.

It a fair comment you post.

Schmitty

Sucks that this still has issues. The game has been very moody for me ever since they had the 'update' to fix everything.

Sometimes I will be stuck in search purgatory, and sometimes I find games in seconds. It is still my most played game from the past 2 years because of the singleplayer. Thank God that works for me all the time.

I had 2 friends buy and then subsequently sell the Xbone because of the MCC debacle.

Theres literally nothing left to say about MCC. It showed me what 343 were as a developer and it made me lose all confidence in them. The fact that this game is just abandoned like this is an insult to all the fans. This isnt project spark, its fucking halo and it deserved being treated with a lot more respect.

As far as im concerned, 343 will never deliver.

I love Halo, and it saddens me how bad 343i managed the franchise. I really hope they bring the Master Chief Collection and all future Halo games to PC so modders can fix what 343i can't.

E92 M3

Theres literally nothing left to say about MCC. It showed me what 343 were as a developer and it made me lose all confidence in them. The fact that this game is just abandoned like this is an insult to all the fans. This isnt project spark, its fucking halo and it deserved being treated with a lot more respect.

As far as im concerned, 343 will never deliver.

Yeah, that's true. Halo 6 will be the first Halo game that I won't be buying.

Top Bottom