• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time : The Best RPG of 2015 Is Only Available on the Wii U

Kimawolf

I'd love to pick it up based on the visuals and scope I've seen, but I remember watching combat gameplay that looked really monotonous and braindead. Someone please tell me it's otherwise, it looks like a beautiful RPG to sink my teeth into. I've never played a Xenoblade game btw.
It's more intense than videos show for sure. It gets deep too. Like real deep.

SenkiDala

No, it's a dating simulator.

I mean come on... It's an action game... Because it "looks like Souls" then it's an RPG? :/ It's an action game, a beat them all with RPG elements (like for exemple Dying Light has RPG elements too like XP, specs, upgrades of weapons, etc).

And BB is one of my GOTY... But I wouldn't put this game in front of Xenoblade X or Witcher 3.

Somnid

Personally it's one of the most enthralling games I've played in a very long time.

It's interesting because a lot of GOTY fodder typically feels too play-tested. Like they have some theoretical curve they wanted to follow and focus-grouped it so that 90% of players will comfortably finish. Xenoblade X feels like a game for gamers. It more of less let's you do as you please and has no problem spiking the difficulty, throwing some bullshit every once in a while, or letting the player figure something out via experimenting. Sometimes the more interesting game isn't a gradual and paved incline but sometime expects you to goat hop your way up a steep cliff. The fact that it's not designed to please everyone makes it all the better for those it does work for.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are more action adventures than RPGs, especially Bloodborne. No way is XCX as good as Witcher 3, but if you don't consider Witcher 3 an RPG, I'd give XCX the RPG 2015 crown, no problem.

EhoaVash

i do like xenoblade x more than the witcher 3,

I haven't played fallout 4 so idk if i can name it rpg of the year.
I have played bloodborne and so far xenoblade is better

my only complaint is that like witcher 3, i dislike the side quests in this game.

-Horizon-

Yeah, that's one thing that needs to be looked at in their next game. So much stuff is thrown at you and some barely mentioned in random splash pages after an event. Even the manual is not enough.

And there needs to be a better use for the collectopedia. They should've made it so when you registered something, its general location would be given. Not the broad location of "primordia" well doy of course its located somewhere on the continent.

Otherwise its a fantastic game that I've already sunk 31 hours into.

Guymelef

I mean come on... It's an action game... Because it "looks like Souls" then it's an RPG? :/ It's an action game, a beat them all with RPG elements (like for exemple Dying Light has RPG elements too like XP, specs, upgrades of weapons, etc).

And BB is one of my GOTY... But I wouldn't put this game in front of Xenoblade X or Witcher 3.

I'm confuse, so Souls are RPG but Bloodborne not?

While I don't love it too much, it does have me excited about the studio if they could combine the gameplay improvements to a more Xenoblade 1 structure/narrative.
The gameplay is very very good and one of the most ambitious projects out of Japan in awhile

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Opinions!

I would vote Bloodborne over Witcher and Xenoblade X though...i just don't agree with a few of these awards

QaaQer

While I haven't has the time to fully go through it yet the author of this piece, Matt Peckham, and Tom Chick recorded a two hour long Podcast here detailing their thoughts on the game. Full warning that there may be spoilers there as I have yet to finish it. While Toms review is still forthcoming I think he liked the game.

A really good and super in depth podcast, and yes some minor spoilers.

Awesome game. :)

Another excuse to post awesome pictures!

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ttpv1.jpg

2qTZPcR.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_017tbos.jpg

i.imgur.com/f9nRJzl.gif

Better than Witcher 3?
They wrote PS3 wrong.
Yakuza 5
If we're not counting Bloodborne then I'd certainly agree. If we are then I'd put it slightly behind BB.
I disagree with the opinions presented in the article.

vehemently.
What a waste if that's true. Def won't be system seller.
TIME has some pretty low standards.
Looks like they didn't really played Witcher 3
I see the mainstream media has discovered the joys of over aggrandizing Nintendo exclusives.

Fishlake

I've been impressed with it. Granted it is the only RPG, other than Undertale, I've played this year since I've not been able to play Bloodborne yet and no Pokemon main line RPG came out. I also have no interest in Fallout and Witcher after being unimpressed with there previous entries.

Its not perfect but I love the freedom in design in this game. I hope more teams get creative freedom like Dark Souls and Xenoblade in the future.

I haven't played XCX, but its good to see it pleasing fans and getting a lot of positive coverage. Even as somebody who loves JRPG's, its hard to imagine XCX is better (or that I would like it more) than The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - but of course I haven't played it so who knows.

styl3s

I wouldn't dispute it i have enjoyed the 40 or so hours i have put in it and can't wait to play some more once i knock Tales and Life is Strange off my backlog.

And bloodborne is a action RPG-lite at best i would never give it any award in any RPG category but it is GOTY.

Zornack

XCX has a lot going for it but the lackluster mech combat, disappointing story, bad crafting system and horrid party management puts it down in the list compared to Pillars, Undertale, MH4U and Bloodborne.

Faustek

Yeah this is why I barely ever bother with reviews.

Read that thing twice and he never once went into detail about anything. He isn't even making an argument about anything. Just presents shallow information and operates as if it existed in vacuum. he does reference FFXIII and Gran Pulse though.
The video is a little piece meal that works though.

This is a fanboy feeding the system wars? Or am I mistaken :/

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Best RPG this year is Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros. though.

Top Bottom