• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time : The Best RPG of 2015 Is Only Available on the Wii U

Riki

That's a painfully slow walk. 5 minutes to cross that bridge at the 55 seconds mark?

I wan't to see who's the brave soul that will make a video transversing xenoblade X's world at walking speed. :p
It would take 9 hours just to walk across New LA.

Writing "I think", "I believe", "in my opinion", etc is redundant, and a good English teacher coaches that out of you in high school, or earlier."
I'd never argue that a reviewer preface themselves in such a way. I'm arguing that ones personal taste should never bloat up into a statement of universal, objective fact, as in "This is the best RPG of 2015 hands down".
This isn't a fucking research paper lol.
You're right, it's an opinion piece. So why is he making objective assertions ?
Or are you saying that we shouldn't expect high writing standards in a published video game article ?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That's a painfully slow walk. 5 minutes to cross that bridge at the 55 seconds mark?

I wan't to see who's the brave soul that will make a video transversing xenoblade X's world at walking speed. :p
Oh man, I've just taken a look at that video. Is this really the speed you play that game at? The walking speed is horrible. Even at that heavily sped up pace walking across the bridge takes ages...Lucky me I didn't have to review that game.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Oh man, I've just taken a look at that video. Is this really the speed you play that game at?

What? No. He's walking, not running, first of all. Second, usually in that game you're driving or (more likely) flying where you're going.

It would take 9 hours just to walk across New LA.

lol no. kotaka ran across the map in 31 minutes, if you put the running speed at 20mph, which is the speed of a NFL receiver at top speed, probably faster then X running speed, it would take 2:40 minutes walking. hopefully a walking video will be done soon.

1279287693550877541.jpg

lol no. kotaka ran across the map in 31 minutes, if you put the running speed at 20mph, which is the speed of a NFL receiver at top speed, probably faster then X running speed, it would take 2:40 minutes walking. hopefully a walking video will be done soon.

1279287693550877541.jpg

Not that it is a giant deal, but doesn't that trek cut off two continents?

newdetailsxenoblade_1385684.jpg

Chaos17

Character yes, story no. Affinity quests really are about characterization more than anything. They also hid heart to hearts this time which is so fucking stupid. 40 hours in and I havent seen one.

The game is not plot driven. So the expectation of an epic plot will let people down. But thus far the characters seem like they are going to be fleshed out more than the original. They are just less interesting characters because they don't live on different parts of a God. Most games are never going to have a more interesting setting than XBC, I dont think that's largely a negative.

Story is fine, not ground breaking but fine.
It just doesn't bring any closure to the ending wich is allright as long a sequel is planned.

Also most heart to heart are revealed by citizens, you know.
You just have to visit regulary the city.

Nice to see the game get some mainstream media attention. I'd play it if I had a Wii U, but at this point I might as well wait for the NX and hope it has BC.

Although seeing TIMEs top 10 list leaves a lot to be desired. No Fallout 4 and Prune is #1.

Vice

I'd never argue that a reviewer preface themselves in such a way. I'm arguing that ones personal taste should never bloat up into a statement of universal, objective fact, as in "This is the best RPG of 2015 hands down".

Or are you saying that we shouldn't expect high writing standards in a published video game article ?
The term "best X" isn't unique to games. Every magazine, critic organization, newspaper, etc. has best of lists and best movie/game/book/artist/somg/sraue. It's been around long enough that people know it's just their subjective take on what's the best.

Mega

Banned

Writing in that manner is common across all kinds of entertainment subject matter and its intention is well understood by everyone. You're getting hung up over nothing; stylistic preference that you misinterpret as writers declaring their opinions are fact (or that you assume someone out there, somewhere, will confuse as the gospel truth). You know that's not what the writers are doing and that no one is getting mixed up here, so why go on insisting that all of it accommodate your stiff preferences? Your idea of how it "should" be isn't elevating anything.These are just personal "best of" lists and articles. Accept it without demanding one must state "my best of" because no one will agree with you and nothing will change. And frankly that's a good thing.

Am I the only one genuinely digging X's narrative? I actually really like Lin and Elma... Vandham and Tatsumare cool too. The humanity crash landed on an unknown planet trope might be well played out, but I can get down with X's take on it.

Also I'm surprised the music is something people seem to hate. The only track I really dislike thus far is the battle music, and even then that's only once the vocals kick in and they really aren't THAT bad.

Am I the only one genuinely digging X's narrative? I actually really like Lin and Elma... Vandham and Tatsumare cool too. The humanity crash landed on an unknown planet trope might be well played out, but I can get down with X's take on it.

Also I'm surprised the music is something people seem to hate. The only track I really dislike thus far is the battle music, and even then that's only once the vocals kick in and they really aren't THAT bad.

I love Lin and Elma. <3

Elma for Smash 5

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't understand the point in comparing walk and run speeds of XCX and Just Cause 3. Just Cause 3's walk and run speed is slow so that it wants you to use grapple, flight, and cars at your disposal to get across the map much faster.

Xenoblade's map is much larger, and since you don't have many tools at your disposal they increased the run speed and jump height. You could argue it's weird to run so fast and jump so high but you're on an alien planet that probably has lower gravity or something. It's sci-fi fiction where nothing has to be that grounded in reality.

Xenoblade's map is much larger, and since you don't have many tools at your disposal they increased the run speed and jump height. You could argue it's weird to run so fast and jump so high but you're on an alien planet that probably has lower gravity or something. It's sci-fi fiction where nothing has to be that grounded in reality.
Plus
you're an android

I don't understand the point in comparing walk and run speeds of XCX and Just Cause 3. Just Cause 3's walk and run speed is slow so that it wants you to use grapple, flight, and cars at your disposal to get across the map much faster.

In SF everything should be grounded in reality, because of SCIENCE Fiction. Xenoblade (or Star Wars or Mass Effect) is pure fantasy (just not an medieval fantasy). Nonetheless there IS an explanation for the fast running and jumping in XCX.

Ninjablade, I don't think that X's world being massive is up to debate. Comparing different traversal speeds doesn't make sense either. It takes about 30-40 minutes to get to my school by foot but 10 minutes by car.
It looks pretty silly to complain about a game you don't have or plan on buying, especially to people the own the game with you cropping out two whole continent to make it seem like you're right.
The game is massive and very impressive with no load times, nice visuals and performance.
There's other aspects you could complain about, but why bother if you haven't played the game?

Nanashrew

Banned
In SF everything should be grounded in reality, because of SCIENCE Fiction. Xenoblade (or Star Wars or Mass Effect) is pure fantasy. Nonetheless there IS an explanation for the fast running and jumping in XCX.

Well, not all sci-fi has to be. Many exaggerate and play around with fiction to make some things just a bit more fantistical. Not everything needs an explanation but it's nice to know there is one in XCX. I'm still saving up for the game :C

etking

Banned
That they did not play Trials in the Sky is no wonder but it has so many pointless text with no information that it gets annoying and boring to play. I want to play a game instead of reading a long and boring book.

I hope that some day there will be a patch that cuts the text in less then half to make the game playable. I love JRPGs but the text heaviness in this game is too extreme for me, it often feels like a visual novel and makes me fall asleep.

It is often said that Trials is a good game, but after 2 almost text-only hours I could not cope anymore and quit playing the game.

And Xenoblade, a least the original one is not a fantasy game.
The whole game is a computer simulation controlled by a human creator / god https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtcfMP_72zg

Writing in that manner is common across all kinds of entertainment subject matter and its intention is well understood by everyone. You know that's not what the writers are doing
So, because the intent can be deduced, in spite of its wording, it doesn't stand to be improved ?
..you misinterpret as writers declaring their opinions are fact..
It's no misinterpretation. "The best role-playing game of 2015 hands down" is a declaration of fact.
Why go on insisting that all of it accommodate your stiff preferences?
To elevate discourse beyond "No, my game is the best". This thread is mostly a reaction to the articles inherently argumentative, sensationalised and didactic title, when it could have been a place to open those players minds to Wii U and XCX.
Accept it, nothing will change.
If one accepts it, then nothing will change. A good writer needn't resort to objective language in a subjective context to louden their opinion.

alvis.exe

I was actually really surprised at how much I love the characters. I liked XC's cast a lot as fictional characters but I'd love to hang out with XCX's cast IRL. It's obviously helped a lot by the setting but I love how, minus the whole alien planet thing, they're (mostly) just a bunch of adults talking about cars and pets and food and shopping and grabbing a couple beers after work haha.

Mega

Banned
So, because the intent can be deduced, in spite of its wording, it doesn't stand to be improved ?
It's no misinterpretation. "The best role-playing game of 2015 hands down" is a declaration of fact.
To elevate discourse beyond "No, my game is the best". This thread is mostly a reaction to the articles inherently argumentative, sensationalised and didactic title, when it could have been a place to open those players minds to Wii U and XCX.

If one accepts it, then nothing will change. A good writer needn't resort to objective language in a subjective context to louden their opinion.

Being hyper-literal is boring and uncreative. No serious writer is going to take your ridiculous advice anyway. Give up your meaningless cause.

Jolkien

He probably did not reach the end.

Joking aside nice that XBX get recognized but the story feel so incomplete I can't agree with this article.

sörine

Banned
Have you even played the game?

Why are you acting like such an authoritative figure of all the facts about everything in the game if you haven't even played the game?
He's estimating what running speeds look like, and using that to make some sort of judgement on what relative word size is for open world games. Because you know, even though we've had confirmation on world size reviewers and developers are liars with fanboy agendas or something. Gotta fight those fanboy agendas.

This is besides the fact that the characters in XCX sprint and jump at superhuman speed. Sprinting across the map is incomparable to top run speed in GTA5, JC3, Skyrim or even the first XC. Even the top running speed is faster in XCX and sprinting is 1.5x that. Maybe something like Crackdown would be comparable, after a bit of leveling.

Mega

Banned
Yes, "the best RPG hands down" is testament to the soaring, creative poetry achievable when rules are broken.

It turns out you're quite the authority on eloquent & persuasive writing yourself. :p

I'm not the one passing himself off as a knowledgeable authority on how anything should or must be written. I recognize I'm nobody to huff and puff about how mean writers pen their video game articles. Your own insignificance in this seems lost on you.

I made a point of mentioning how these articles usually aren't very serious nor a bastion of ground breaking writing and as such it's okay that they take such (incredibly benign) liberties in their choice of words. In fact,it hardly matters if it were a serious piece; it's a simple choice and style, not a statement on the decline of culture.

You don't grasp that language, written and oral, has always been highly nuanced and deviated from rigid conformity and strict matter of factness. Writers bend the "rules" all the time and still get their messages across and with clarity to fully cognizant readers. People imply and allude without always making stiff, dry statements, we use humor, sarcasm and wit to make a point; sometimes we just use seemingly plain speak and, yes, your dreaded declarative statements with a shared understanding that there's a meaning behind it without the need to browbeat the receptive party with a literal explanation, "let me overexplain exactly what I mean in the miniscule chance you take every single word at face value." No one is like this except socially stunted individuals and (respectfully) certain individuals on the autism spectrum.

That's why, ultimately, no one agrees with you and a 10-year crusade against the troubles you're imagining will get you nowhere. But good luck with that...?

I'm not the one passing himself off as a knowledgeable authority...
It's telling, how differently you react to objective declarations you disagree with. ;)
I recognize I'm nobody to huff and puff about how mean writers pen their video game articles. Your own insignificance in this seems lost on you.
All of us here are readers, writers and passionate games enthusiasts. We're all perfectly entitled to express our views on this matter, and that's precisely what these forums are for.
these articles usually aren't very serious nor a bastion of ground breaking writing and as such it's okay that they take such (incredibly benign) liberties in their choice of words.
So you're saying it's sound writing, providing one doesn't take it too seriously or expect anything ground breaking ? Gotcha.
Writers bend the "rules" all the time and still get their messages across
The reality is it's merely Matt's favourite RPG of the few he played this year. But, after 'rules were bent', it became "The Best RPG of 2016 hands down". You're okay with that leap, I'm not.
"without the need to browbeat.. overexplain.. without always making stiff, dry statements..
That's not remotely what subjective writing entails, and is a false alternative. The premise of my argument all along has been that an actual subjective title, e.g."Matt Peckham explores his most treasured RPG of 2015", would've resulted in a less indignant reaction here on Neogaf. (And I'm not going to dignify your stoop to personal provocation at the end there, but perhaps I got a little cheap too. Oh, and please remember, for future arguments, that a person can be utterly alone in being right). I look forward to our next encounter, Mega. Peace.

Top Bottom