• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tips for using NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayDead

New news, new thread. Basically, if a thread is old, don't bump it. When you do, people don't look at the last post, they look at the OP, and start responding to it again.

I've been here (can't remember how many) years and I've always wondered why it was like this. I guess it makes sense, but can you clarify something for me?

Say for example it's a community thread or an import thread for a game not many people would play, are you fine to bump those or is it still applicable to make a new thread?

Spladam

Thanks for this thread Trojita, we needed one of these.

Also, two other helpful NeoGAF pages for new juniors:
NeoGAF tips and tricks thread.
The BB code page for those not familiar with code tags.

add #t=5m30s to the end of the link where the part before the m is minutes and the part after the m and before the 3 is seconds:

For example, here is Harry Styles performing on SNL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKNaz_UagRA#t=0m29s

The riff you hear at 0:29-0:31 is an exact copy of Badfinger's Baby Blue at 0:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkA7xQb6uPk#t=0m05s
Wow, good ear. Did you catch that yourself? It sure is the same riff.

10. Last piece of advice: Treat people like they're in the same room with you. If you wouldn't say it to somebody's face, it's a 50/50 chance that you're saying something offensive and bannable. Other than that, it's just a good policy for approaching internet discussion and culture.

Other things to remember:
Read the FAQs; don't ask for tags; make sure your avatar is the right size and completely work safe; never post NSFW stuff; never talk about, ask about, or refer to piracy; no console-wars bullshit; don't be a bigot (racist, sexist, classist, et al); rants are fun but dangerous and often embarassing; be nice and don't be stupid.

Note from the author:
It's taken some years and several bans to learn all of these unwritten rules, and there's probably some that still need to be added. It's possible that one could follow this and still be banned, but this should be a handy guide that will assist you in your junior journey.

-PL

originally posted in Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381926
I was going to drop a link to that thread as soon as I saw Trojita thread today, as it has helped me migrate from lurker to poster here with ease. One of the first threads I bookmarked here and I think it could be added to the FAQ page.

add #t=5m30s to the end of the link where the part before the m is minutes and the part after the m and before the 3 is seconds:

For example, here is Harry Styles performing on SNL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKNaz_UagRA#t=0m29s

The riff you hear at 0:29-0:31 is an exact copy of Badfinger's Baby Blue at 0:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkA7xQb6uPk#t=0m05s

I just became a member, like, last month, so it's been a while. I just lurked for a while because I didn't feel confident enough to post, and if I started posting back when I registered I would have been banned pretty quickly because I was kind of an idiot.

I'm not sure how on mobile (if you even can), but on regular YouTube, click on the share button below the video title, then the little box beneath it that says "Start at:"
NkYDIey.png

Or you can do it manually like Stump said.

Thanks for this.

cntr

Banned
That's actually the latest one I learned and what prompted me to make this thread. It blew my mind too.
I knew about the code thing, but I still quote images since it gets clutter-y to have the same image or a lot of images quoted multiple times.

Fades

Banned
I made this yonks ago:

gafjki6i.jpg

Ok, 1 just blew my mind. I never thought to hover over or click on the thread icon. I use that functionality all the time on the mobile app and I was confused why it seemed like the desktop version lacked that setting. Thanks!

Banzai

I don't understand how dark theme could possibly be considered the superior one. Light theme is much less conspicuous to use at work.

Great thread, OP. I learned new things today.

Though tere's one thing that OP missed and I found very important.

Spoiler tagging images doesn't actually work on mobile.

So please consider that before posting spoilers of important plot of games.

You might want to hotlink it instead and mention that it's a spoiler.

Maybe someone has posted this already, but if you click the number of replies in a thread, then click the number of posts a user has made in that thread you get a search for all his posts on that thread which is very useful

ChrisD

Maybe someone has posted this already, but if you click the number of replies in a thread, then click the number of posts a user has made in that thread you get a search for all his posts on that thread which is very useful
WHAT
I've checked post counts in threads so many times and never knew.

I'd like to know if there is another member who has been around as long as me and still doesn't have a tag.

I've been here since 6-6-2004 and still tagless. Beat that.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Never seen anyone tag-begging, didn't know it was a thing. A while back I had to plead with a mod not to change my tag though, I said Thor 2 was an OK movie and I think he wanted to punish me.

Can anyone explain to me how to embed a tweet, I don't know how so usually just post the link, would be nice to know how to get the image of the tweet to show up.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Never seen anyone tag-begging, didn't know it was a thing. A while back I had to plead with a mod not to change my tag though, I said Thor 2 was an OK movie and I think he wanted to punish me.

Can anyone explain to me how to embed a tweet, I don't know how so usually just post the link, would be nice to know how to get the image of the tweet to show up.
You take a screen capture of it and re-upload it to an image website.

If you have a screenshot tool like W10's snipping tool or a browser extension that automatically uploads it makes it easier.

gimmmick

Here is a tip for all you gentlemen that live with your SO.

NEVER tell them about neogaf. I explained what neogaf was to an old girlfriend that I had a relationship / lived with for 2 years and got ridiculed ever since. Yeah it's cool that they want to know what you do online, but it really pissed me off how she would always call me out on why I would keep wasting my time reading an internet forum. If I wanted to spend a whole day off watching e3 pressers while posting on a active thread, then that is my business.

My wife has no idea what this site is, and will probably never know about it. She vloggs on youtube as a hobby so I guess it's pretty even imo. Whenever she spends her time editing, I'm usually browsing neogaf if I'm not doing something productive at home.

PSY・S;234211819 said:
gaf is better with avatars off
Yup. Also click for images people, it's awesome.
Looks like I found my kind of people. These were going to be my contributions. Saves bandwidth, drastically lowers the chance of getting spoiled without warnings, and prevents you from associating people with their avatars. The latter used to trip me up when someone changed their avatar, or if the same picture was used by multiple people.

Speaking of disabled images though. This is what many OTs look like on this forum:
LtGqIph.png

Sure, it is my own fault that these OPs are worthless, but this problem extends beyond my quirks. If I use the search function to find some data, browsers and web crawlers can only read text. It's CTRL+F'd up. I've long accepted that if I need to get any information about a game, I'm better served asking Google or Wikipedia than the OTs that supposedly conveniently aggregate this sort of info.

Another thing I find handy is the ability to organise your thread subscriptions. I often bookmark a thread to remember for later, and combined with auto-subbing to every thread I post in, sooner or later your subscription list is going to get cluttered. At the very bottom of your subscription page however, you can find the "Edit Folders" button. As the name might imply, it allows you to create some folders where you can move your subs into. For instance I keep a folder for game music threads, since I'll be needing tons of examples to populate the Soundtrack of the Year thread with.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm not sure if this has been said already, I skimmed the thread but didn't see it. This seems obvious but I think it's worth saying anyway.

If you want to link to a particular post within a thread (not a direct post link), click the post number to get to a direct post link, and then click the thread title on the upper right of that page. It'll open the thread, starting at that post.

Way more useful than linking to a page which will behave differently for 50ppp and 100ppp users.

There's also two bits of BB code that people don't realise exist for linking to posts and threads. [post=post number] and [thread=thread number].

The post one is useful as it links to the thread view and jumps to the post in question, so you can see it in the context of the thread rather than the post on its own, which linking with the posts url will do.

This is a link using the posts url.
[post=234210707]This is a link using the post tags.[/post]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom