• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tips for using NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mule

Tag begging usually doesn't work.
Fake news.

If you want a tag, the best thing to do is create a thread (preferably on both Gaming and OT) asking for a tag. The admins are typically so impressed by your initiative and go-getter attitude that they will award you with one in short order.

Just make sure that the title is in ALL CAPS so that they can see it.

Ravek

Banned
Something I've always been curious about is whenever some one is temped banned do they mods/admins notify the user and tell them why? And does the user know how long they've been temp banned for?

Or is the user just banned and has to try logging in everyday until they're finally "free" again?

I skimmed through FAQs and didn't see anything.

Carn82

Something I've always been curious about is whenever some one is temped banned do they mods/admins notify the user and tell them why? And does the user know how long they've been temp banned for?

Or is the user just banned and has to try logging in everyday until they're finally "free" again?

You'll see a message when you log in that you're banned and when the ban expires, pretty basic forum stuff.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Yes, you get told and for how long.

Mine was "Please don't accuse other members of hiding joycons up their anuses".

Which made it all worthwhile.

Numb

Yes, you get told and for how long.

Mine was "Please don't accuse other members of hiding joycons up their anuses".

Which made it all worthwhile.

Übermatik;234226109 said:
The ban reasons are the best part about being banned. One of mine was "Please don't stab people".
You guys are crazy with those reasons

My only ban was requested

It's safer to lurk than it is to post a lot of times. :p

Navigating graveyards that were once ban bait threads is an advanced technique for the next thread which will cover:

-how to get banned repeatedly but never permed
-how to become a full member after being junior'd
-fast track to full member
-how to get people to quote and respond to your posts when you're a nobody
-how to create threads that don't suck
-GafGOLD

You can hover over a user's avatar or username and see their user ID. The lower it is, the longer they've been on the forum. Don't know why but I do that all the time when I read some posts.

I just wish thread filtering was possible on mobile devices. It's really a night and day difference when you can make NeoGAF only show you threads you want to see. You can filter out negativity and doom and gloom very easily.

Fake news.

If you want a tag, the best thing to do is create a thread (preferably on both Gaming and OT) asking for a tag. The admins are typically so impressed by your initiative and go-getter attitude that they will award you with one in short order.

Just make sure that the title is in ALL CAPS so that they can see it.
Oh sure, and that tag will say

"junior member"

It's a throwback tag

I feel like it's been forever since we had a good tag begging thread.

And this thread has enlightened me to the NESbot twitters so I know what I'm adding to Twitterfeed today! Work productivity about to take an extreme nosedive!

Serious question NeoGaf gold is fake right like a running joke like the 30$ Italian meal?

We don't joke about a meal of such quality

the only way to know for sure is to get yourself banned

Ran rp

OP is missing the best Chrome extension, NeoGAF Thread Summarizer.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=993461

summarizeraction5.gif.gif

Threadviews.png

Thorgal

Since we are talking about Gaf in general: did they at one point remove the portion on the homepage that shows all the names who are currently online?

Or is this only missing on my end?

PtM

Banned
Übermatik;234226109 said:
The ban reasons are the best part about being banned. One of mine was "Please don't stab people".
Haha! About that. My last one said I had been posting without a modicum of honesty. >:'(

Is there a way to get bumped back to regular member after getting juniored?

If you were juniored by modbot, just wait your due sentence and act cleanly and orderly in the meanwhile.

If not, ask a mod. I've been juniored twice and twice risen from that darkest of holes.

I have to ask.

Why is NeoGAF called NeoGAF?

Gaming age forums needed new hosting because of internet shenanigans, and became the new gaming age forums, ergo NeoGAF.

Chuckie

The latter would be really mean hahaha.

No you see the date when the ban expires. And the mod gave me the reason for the ban too.

y2dvd

I never used Subscriptions for years until recently, and I bet others were like me. Use it!

Sometimes, my last read post gets lost and moves me to some newer post. It can jump by several pages and if the thread is massive, by the dozens. In this case, I usually try to read the last 5 pages to catch up a little.

Always think twice before posting something controversial lol.

fushi

I was looking for a way to sort theads by creation date again, but all of the vbulletin queries that I tried did not work. Is there a way to do that?

It's easily my most desired feature and given the amount of subscribers Neogaf new threads twitter feeds have I wouldn't be the only one to use this.

(OP might want to add those twitter links as well.)

Ran rp

Sometimes, my last read post gets lost and moves me to some newer post. It can jump by several pages and if the thread is massive, by the dozens. In this case, I usually try to read the last 5 pages to catch up a little.

I actually have a question about this. On other forums when you click "Go to first unread post" it will always bring me to the first unread post. But on NeoGAF if the thread is a little old, maybe two weeks, the first unread button will skip a bunch of posts. Why does that happen?

I've always just assumed this would be Thread Derails The Extension.

It's actually good for that. Instead of skimming through pages of derail you can just see the offending post and open the reply chain if you want to read it or just ignore it if you don't.

It works best in massive threads like the rumor and controversy threads on gaming side and politics threads in off-topic. Just analyze the thread and read the most important posts. You can also enter a list of users whos posts you always want to show up, like the mods or ~verified insiders~.

Peltz

Since we are talking about Gaf in general: did they at one point remove the portion on the homepage that shows all the names who are currently online?

That may be a GAF Gold-only feature now.

(I think it was removed).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, the list of active users was given the flick back in June 2015. IIRC, it was disabled as part of resource saving measure for E3 o'clock and was presumably not re-enabled on the count of it being a rather useless feature. If you need to contact a certain member, you can just send them a PM, and if you need an admin/mod, there's a list here along with an online status indicator.

Ran rp

Analysis complete: "Its shit"

We can't make you be nice.

For the various folks who'd like to blame moderation for allowing people to act cruelly, that's something you should probably know. More to the point, you don't want us to try and make you be nice, because we have blunt tools, and the way we'd do it is tighten up on banning negative, hostile comments.

You don't want us to do that, because you're guilty of it. Go look in your reading history right now. If you can't find a single comment that someone might think was nasty or unpleasant, I will be deeply surprised. That means the rest of you would be banned.

No rule we can put up, no pogrom of bans, no effort on our part can make you change the way you talk to other people. I've spent a lot of time on OT trying to convince people not to be assholes directly to each other, with little success, so the idea that we're going to stop people from being assholes about someone who isn't here or made promises they didn't keep, is a fantasy.

The only person that can make you behave better, make you remember that there are people on the other side of the keyboard, is you. And you can't make anyone else behave better, either. Each of us can only be responsible for ourselves.

It's easy to blame "GAF" as if the software and hardware were making the comments. It's easy to blame moderation, although it's you guys who create all the content, not us. It's less easy to take a look at your own posting and make changes. But if you want GAF to be a nicer place, that's literally your only option, because GAF is a collective of thousands of different voices, and those voices create the chorus that people perceive.

So keep throwing stones -- at developers, at moderators, at your fellow posters -- but you're part of the problem, and rather than deal with your part in the problem, you're engaging in negativity about other posters, the forum, and its staff. Try, instead, treating fellow posters, developers, and staff as if they were people. Consider that your funny, cruel joke is less funny and more cruel, and maybe don't post it. Moderate your language and instead of calling people scam artists, or shoving your head up your ass in self-righteousness about your consumer rights, consider that the company you're railing against is really just people trying to make something neat and failing rather than a conspiracy to rob you and make you play bad games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom