• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tips for using NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falchion

Didn't realize the junior member upgrade was 300 posts AND 6 months, I thought it was just 200 posts and then you'll eventually get bumped up unless you did something stupid.

The live extension is awesome, still wish there were quote notifications though. I bet people would be willing to donate to the site to support that feature being added.

NandoGip

Sticky this? Had to learn a lot of this the hard way... Really made the site difficult for the first few hundred posts.

PSY・S;234238745 said:

You can't make me be polite to the concept of sequential user-submitted data strings pertaining contextually to an original topic of discussion!

That's like giving god a Pepsi for doing a good job on keeping the atoms together and giving us relative stability and predictability in our dire existance!

Sticky this? Had to learn a lot of this the hard way... Really made the site difficult for the first few hundred posts.

🤖TROJITA HAS BEEN STICKIED INTO THE FAQ SECTION AND HAS...BECOME AS MODS 🤖

also if you have common words as a user name use [quote=*username* to find people that have quoted you. it will only show posts that you've been quoted in and no other posts.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
oh dang that's how? thanks. i feel like i would be imposing.

Help with account-related issues is more or less what they're there for. ;) That includes name changes, though, as I alluded to above, your request may be knocked back if you have history of being fickle or your name was changed as punishment for some sort of faux pas (like the user formerly known as OrbitalBeardJr).

*snip*

7. If you want a tag, join and become a regular contributor to one of the -ages. It can take a long time and usually requires some memorable contribution. Remember though, there's a hairline difference between a tag and a permaban, so be careful. Best bets for tags are Sales-Age, PC-Age, AV-Age, SportsGAF, PoliGAF. Most of the time they're given for being stupid, so it's not some mark of glory but usually a mark of shame. Some can be a source of pride, though.

*snip*

I heard, if you enter any one of those particular GAF communities, refresh the latest Page three (3) times and then post, "Sell me this pen drive I use for legal tennis practice across the border," you'll be tagged.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Being vaguely aware of other forums that had or have a similar feature. It ends up being a nightmare.
Hmm, works fine on my own, though obviously I don't have as much traffic as GAF does. It's barely used on my own forum but it could be 'cause I rule it with an iron fist >_>

That's a better question for someone at admin level, but from someone who has modded other forums with that feature previously, the issue there is making it completely low efforts leads to a ton of false flags and harassment reporting.

Currently, you have to decide if it's really worth a report and then take the time to explain what you feel the problem is. Gives us more information than "Reported Post - Trolling" that I'd get on my other forums, which ultimately just turns into a bulleted list of stuff to sift through where 80% of the reports are just "I don't like this person."
Ahhh, now that makes sense, I can see that happening on forums with very heavy traffic. Cheers

Am I the only one who misses gif avatars?
Yes. Or at least, I hope so.

Here is a tip for all you gentlemen that live with your SO.

NEVER tell them about neogaf. I explained what neogaf was to an old girlfriend that I had a relationship / lived with for 2 years and got ridiculed ever since. Yeah it's cool that they want to know what you do online, but it really pissed me off how she would always call me out on why I would keep wasting my time reading an internet forum. If I wanted to spend a whole day off watching e3 pressers while posting on a active thread, then that is my business.

My wife has no idea what this site is, and will probably never know about it. She vloggs on youtube as a hobby so I guess it's pretty even imo. Whenever she spends her time editing, I'm usually browsing neogaf if I'm not doing something productive at home.
My SO is on GAF...

Seik

Banned
Heh, so you can ask an admin for a tag?

I always thought this was earned by either making a huge fuck up of a post, being overly stupid or making an astonishingly and revolutionary statement on something.

Still won't ask because it feels weird to do so though, I always wanted a tag related to being a legit emulation enthusiast (because I bought tons of shit like the Retrode+adapters to rip my games and made a lot of thread about emulation and how to do it.). Though I can't think of a clever tag for this...something about preservation I guess. :lol

Help with account-related issues is more or less what they're there for. ;) That includes name changes, though, as I alluded to above, your request may be knocked back if you have history of being fickle or your name was changed as punishment for some sort of faux pas (like the user formerly known as OrbitalBeardJr).
Hahah wow how did I miss OrbitalBeardJr's name change. That's brilliant

lol wtf

No name change has ever told the truth more than that one

"If you have an issue with me taking your name and avatar, deal with it an PM me. Stop making this a public thing"

wtffffffffffff

Xe4

Banned
Heh, so you can ask an admin for a tag?

I always thought this was earned by either making a huge fuck up of a post, being overly stupid or making an astonishingly and revolutionary statement on something.

Still won't ask because it feels weird to do so though, I always wanted a tag related to being a legit emulation enthusiast (because I bought tons of shit like the Retrode+adapters to rip my games and made a lot of thread about emulation and how to do it.). Though I can't think of a clever tag for this...something about preservation I guess. :lol

You don't ask for a tag, you earn a tag, and more likely than not, it'll be for something stupid as shit that you said. Generally if a mod catches you doing something cool or stupid (again, usually the latter), they'll give you a tag. You don't have any power over it, which is kind of the fun of it.

So the longer you can go without a tag, the better in my opinion.

AdamT

Wonder how many long-term juniors there are like me. I've had an account for 3 years (plus another 3 lurking) and only posted 200ish times.

besada

Banned
I've been here (can't remember how many) years and I've always wondered why it was like this. I guess it makes sense, but can you clarify something for me?

Say for example it's a community thread or an import thread for a game not many people would play, are you fine to bump those or is it still applicable to make a new thread?

Community threads don't count under the bump rules. The basic way to look at this is: Is the thread active? If it is, it's not a bump. Community threads tend to stay active.

The issue is when folks bump a thread that hasn't had a post in months, which makes people think it's a new thread.

For those that didn't know, clicking the orange neogaf logo next to the thread title takes you to your first unread post while clicking on the number under replies gives you a list of who posted the most in that thread.

On mobile, you can change the settings to make it so touching the thread arrow takes you to the first unread post.

Always use dark theme.

I knew about this on mobile, but not on GAF proper. This is awesome.

The thing I struggled with when I first joined a long, long time ago was that GAF wasn't like other forums. I was used to being a smartass on forums and I'm lucky I didn't get banned as a junior. But flaws aside, GAF is a great community and people, instead of lashing back, were more quizzical and I figured out pretty quickly that this was a different kind of space.

Mods are hard to read

Oh well, nothing like a little bit of 2012 nostalgia

congrats on the new tag dood

My wife knows how often I use GAF. She just couldn't care less about the usual topics this site covers.

Marry people different than you that are OK with being different than you

If she can't handle you at your Gaffest then she doesn't deserve you at your...laughest?

Don't know if it has been said before in this thread, but it's worth repeating anyway: don't future quote. I repeat: Do. Not. Future. Quote. It's the most annoying thing ever, and in a perfect world it would be punished by cutting your internet access for life.

:[

But then you'd have to see my posts more often...are you sure you want that?

Not

Banned
Here is a tip for all you gentlemen that live with your SO.

NEVER tell them about neogaf. I explained what neogaf was to an old girlfriend that I had a relationship / lived with for 2 years and got ridiculed ever since. Yeah it's cool that they want to know what you do online, but it really pissed me off how she would always call me out on why I would keep wasting my time reading an internet forum. If I wanted to spend a whole day off watching e3 pressers while posting on a active thread, then that is my business.

My wife has no idea what this site is, and will probably never know about it. She vloggs on youtube as a hobby so I guess it's pretty even imo. Whenever she spends her time editing, I'm usually browsing neogaf if I'm not doing something productive at home.

My wife knows how often I use GAF. She just couldn't care less about the usual topics this site covers.

Marry people different than you that are OK with being different than you

how do you post a link to a specific post but not use the #number post link.
Example you want to link to a post in the middle of a page, what is the link so that someone gets to the middle of page without using the # out that post.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if it has been said before in this thread, but it's worth repeating anyway: don't future quote. I repeat: Do. Not. Future. Quote. It's the most annoying thing ever, and in a perfect world it would be punished by cutting your internet access for life.

how do you post a link to a specific post but not use the #number post link.
Example you want to link to a post in the middle of a page, what is the link so that someone gets to the middle of page without using the # out that post.
If you're on desktop GAF, click the number on the upper right of the post, and then the name of the thread just above it. Copy the URL and link it in your post. It'll be something like this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=234255053#post234255053.

Peltz

Community threads don't count under the bump rules. The basic way to look at this is: Is the thread active? If it is, it's not a bump. Community threads tend to stay active.

The issue is when folks bump a thread that hasn't had a post in months, which makes people think it's a new thread.

What about EPIC necrobumps though? Like the guy who predicted that Nintendo would outlast G4 then necro'd when G4 went under years later. That was pretty great.

By the way, what is "future quoting" as alluded to a few posts above?

Also, is double posting really frowned upon? I do it by accident all the time when I think a thread is moving faster than it is.

Cyan

Banned
oh dang that's how? thanks. i feel like i would be imposing.

It's fine, just send me a PM with your request. Honestly I'm way happier to receive "please change my name" (or "please change my thread title") PMs than the requests to ban everyone in some unspecified thread that the person doesn't provide a link to or the demands to justify a ban from two years ago that someone is still upset about.

LoveCake

I do like GAF.

I often re-read the rules/ToS just in-case there has been a change or something.

I don't swear on here and I don't make drive-by comments, I always have a look back at my comments to see if anyone has quoted or replied to me, although I no longer get drawn into argument that will just escalate.

I try to keep images and GIF'S to a minimum, and also of a appropriate size, I will admit to posting large images in the Forza threads (as others do) they just seem to be the perfect size when downloading from the Forza site and uploading on Imgur.

PtM

Banned
PSY・S;234234219 said:
I actually have a question about this. On other forums when you click "Go to first unread post" it will always bring me to the first unread post. But on NeoGAF if the thread is a little old, maybe two weeks, the first unread button will skip a bunch of posts. Why does that happen?
It's actually "go to the first unread post of the last 24h".

Posting to remind myself to check out this thread after work, Been on GAF for a few years now and some of these extensions look real handy.

I've never heard of future quoting - what is that?

What about EPIC necrobumps though? Like the guy who predicted that Nintendo would outlast G4 then necro'd when G4 went under years later. That was pretty great.
It's at your own risk, and I'd guess that your definition of EPIC might be a little different than most of the staff. Most of the time the threads getting locked, and you'll be banned.
By the way, what is "future quoting" as alluded to a few posts above?
Editing your post to respond to one that was after it chronologically.
Also, is double posting really frowned upon? I do it by accident all the time when I think a thread is moving faster than it is.
It's a minor nuisance if it happens frequently, but the occasionaly one is not a big deal since it does happen accidentally from time to time.

Lots of good tips in here from everyone.

A couple of thoughts:

- When making thread titles, please do not use ALL-CAPS. We're getting more and more of this now that it's cropping up on tweets and youtube video titles (particularly with movie titles), but it's frowned upon here. Don't do it.

- When you make a new thread, please double check the title before you hit submit. There are thread title errors all the time from people that get sloppy and don't realize what they pasted didn't fit in the character limit, etc... Use the preview. Remember that it's easy enough for you to touch up the OP later, but a thread title change will require a moderator.

- Please do your best to ensure you're not posting a duplicate thread. Scan the front page of the forum and use the search function. It's also highly recommended that you use one of these if you're on Twitter:
There are twitterbots that collect and post new threads as they are created, like NESbot and NESbot OT (among others that function the same).

Between use of subscriptions and following those twitterbots, you can keep track of both every new thread and every existing thread that interests you effortlessly.
PSY·S;234204335 said:
We get a lot of duplicate threads, and they're easily preventable.

- Though it's improving these days, we don't get enough quality threads about science, nature, culture (aside from movies and TV), general news, and a lot of other topics. If you see something threadworthy that others might enjoy or find interesting, make a thread for it. I see frequent complaints that there are too many political threads, and one way to counteract that is to ignore those threads if they bother you and post something different. Ultimately, the forum is what the members make it.

Imgur images can be quickly resized by simply adding a character to the image URL. For example:

http://i.imgur.com/1Qx7a6F.jpg (this is the original image)
1Qx7a6F.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Qx7a6Fh.jpg (huge)
1Qx7a6Fh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Qx7a6Fl.jpg (large)
1Qx7a6Fl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Qx7a6Fm.jpg (medium)
1Qx7a6Fm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Qx7a6Ft.jpg (thumbnail)
1Qx7a6Ft.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Qx7a6Fb.jpg (big square)
1Qx7a6Fb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Qx7a6Fs.jpg (small square)
1Qx7a6Fs.jpg

Also, when you're on Imgur, just Ctrl+V the url of an image to upload it. You don't even have to click on "New post" or paste into a text field or anything. Just be on the site and press Ctrl+V.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Auctopus

I had no idea about that OrbitalBeard stuff, I think I was definitely guilty of mistaking that person as the same user at some point.

Surprised Jr wasn't straight up banned, that's creepy.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

I mentioned future quoting earlier, but your post and use of red is a welcome addition to the cause.

Genuinely drives me up the wall. Have some respect for your fellow members and stop this appalling practice.

Peltz

I mentioned future quoting earlier, but your post and use of red is a welcome addition to the cause.

Genuinely drives me up the wall. Have some respect for your fellow members and stop this appalling practice.

I still don't understand how this is disrespectful or appalling. But I won't do it anymore knowing there are people who hate it.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I still don't understand how this is disrespectful or appalling. But I won't do it anymore knowing there are people who hate it.

A chronological system having non-chronological posts is horrible and distracting to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom