• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To those who played the ME: Andromeda trial: are you buying the full game?

Yes, even though the game on the xbox looks ugly and gave me motion sickness (only bioshock on PC and the one part on horizon zero dawn ever have gave me this)..I'll still get it since I got the deluxe for 44 on amazon paid off already,but not impressed so far :/.

Yes 100%. It has some dodgy animation and some badly written lines, but the rest is excellent. Amazing music, gameplay is stellar and the graphics (non face) are stunning on PC.

Feels like Mass Effect to me.

Ryzaki009

I had already preordered it and seeing the backlash now makes me want it more. I do tend to love the games that get shit on so *buckles in*

Game needs a few patches before I can start it for real. I don't mind waiting though. Got a bunch of other games to play in the meantime.

Moaradin

No but mostly because I don't think I'll have the time I need to play it before Persona 5 comes out. I thought the opening bits were alright and I'm a big Mass Effect fan in general, so I haven't wrote it off yet. Might wait for patches to fix some of the jank.

Yes, but mainly because I got it for like £25ish. I like the combat (bar the AI dying quite a bit at random times) and beats etc make me interested to see what happens...I found the facial expressions of the Natalie Dormer Asari hilarious in the intro bit, and I like the new dialogue being less "This option is good/bad" etc and the tones.

It looks janky as hell in places. I've also slowly gotten to that point where I either take much longer to complete games or just give up. One of the people on the Easy Alliess podcast said it's almost about choosing your battles with games nowadays :p Andromeda may be janky, messy and incredibly flawed but there's some stuff there that I want to see unfold, and I want to see how it plays out. If I hadn't got it cheap, I'd have cancelled tho.

Tarahiro

I already bought it. Had to get it digitally because there's no physical deluxe in England.

I loved the trial though.

RAIDEN1

Definitely getting the game, I'll be trading in MGS-5 for this, always been a fan, despite my frustrations of the trial version and having no choice but to try it on my PC..(which wasn't the preferred option) .....there is a dearth of sci-fi action rpgs right now...so this will fill that requirement nicely...

Tecnniqe

Banned
Combat doesn't feel good because weapons don't feel impactful for me, companion AI is dumb as a rock so you have to do all combos yourself, auto cover is finicky, and 3 active ability limit coupled with the above makes the whole thing not mesh together.
No mentioning the lack of feedback and how incredibly dumb the camera is when you go into cover, it don't change as you move sides and so on + no aim sensitivity outside the general look sensitivity.

Story founds like a 12 yold fan fic writing stage in the trial.

Bionic throw feels great but that's about it.

Hell yeah. The combat gameplay felt good as a biotic and I loved the exploring and scanning aspect as well as crafting.

Mass Effect has always suffered from weird animations so no surprise when the gifs popped up.

JarrodL

Yes. It's not a bad Bioware formula game from what I played. Too early to tell if it's a good Mass Effect game yet, but even if it's not I'd like to at least finish it to experience more of the good parts. I like the new crew, the emphasis on exploration, the improved dialog system, combat and the character advancement systems. The environments look beautiful. While there's plenty of things I didn't like or would prefer would be done differently (animations are certainly disappointing), there's also much I enjoyed and I want to play more.

SZips

I already did.

I got the trial and then used the 10% discount to pick up the Deluxe Edition of Andromeda.

Hell yeah. The combat gameplay felt good as a biotic and I loved the exploring and scanning aspect as well as crafting.

Mass Effect has always suffered from weird animations so no surprise when the gifs popped up.

I love how awesome they made biotics in this now. You can finally do INSTANT biotic combos by yourself since your source and detonation powers arent sharing a common cooldown. It was great firing a singularity at a shielded enemy, then instantly firing a throw - which detonated causing the shields to be stripped and for the enemy to now be lifted up into the air due to that.

What I really loved though was when choosing adept, it replaces the jetpack with biotic moves instead - makes you feel like a real badass.

Rad Agast

Preordered earlier this month. Yes the humans look stupid and conversation camera cuts don't make sense sometimes but I will persevere.

I enjoyed the gameplay so I hope the story ends up being close to ME1. Fingers crossed.

Played the trial on a friend's xbox (he hasn't played any mass effect beyond the first ten min of the first one).

There is no chance in hell I'm buying the full game.

Andromeda would have to look like one of the greatest games of all time + come with a personalized apology letter for spraying liquid feces into my face at the end of 3 for me to buy it.

Before playing this I expected to end up renting it months later after I got jealous of people talking about it. However it looks and plays awful and am probably for the first time ever genuinely happy that a game seems shitty.

I should have expected it after how DA: I had trash writing/trash combat/mmo style quests.

jond76

Banned
I really liked the trial. I liked the story and the premise. Uncharted space for or heroes. I'm in the process of moving into a new house so I won't pick it up until we move into the new place.

The jank don't bother me.

My gamesharing buddy is buying it, I'm totally there. I don't feel like I have a fully formed opinion on the game yet, we'll see when I get it and can continue past the trial end.

Altairre

Yes. The more I played the more I liked it. Game is unquestionably rough around the edges, to put it lightly, but there's enough Mass Effect there that I couldn't help but enjoy myself.

Any other year, maybe... But given the quality of games currently releasing a game as bug ridden as Mass Effect is an easily dropped purchase compared to Zelda, Horizon, Persona and more. I mean I can't blame EA for not knowing this part of the year would end up being stacked, but I can't help but feel delaying this game until Christmas would have helped it a lot, both with the bugs and how it is perceived next to its peers in the same year.

t hicks

Banned
I was slightly interested in playing it before the trial as I really liked 1-3, but after playing the trial I'm definitely not gonna buy it :/ Everything just felt so off to me idk, maybe it gets better but yeah.. I'm gonna pass on this unfortunately

Comandr

Not at release. I'll give it another look after a few patches or maybe on a sale
:/

This is pretty much me.

7b737a129c21011a993db1c6fa19c2cb.jpg

Ushay

Absolutely yes. I just completed the initial section of the game (the first planet) and I really enjoyed it. That being said, I'm hanging on to my copy to play multiplayer (which is amazing) until Scorpio releases, at which point I'll play the campaign and any DLC.

The Xbox One version runs really poorly to the point where I can see slowdowns and stutters and it distracts from the experience. So Scorpio version it is!

TI82

Banned
Helllll no, not until we get a few major updates and the eventual DLC. This is an unfinished game especially with the animations. I'm grateful of EA and Bioware for giving us the trial because for $5 I saved myself 60 more dollars.

Yes, I enjoyed my time through it. The faces and animations are disappointing, but I can live with it. Rest of the game has been fun so far and absolutely gorgeous with HDR. I do have my reservations about the characters and story, and my first impression was I didn't really care about any of them, but maybe they'll grow on me. Not that Kaiden or Ashley ever grew on me in the original trilogy. Even if the rest of the game is a mess, I'll be seeing it through to the bitter end just to witness it myself rather than believing whatever the GAF consensus might come up with. I also enjoyed Inquisition so there's that.

Crzy1

I don't plan to initially. I'll probably grab it after it goes on sale. The beginning may just give a very bad impression, but it's worrying enough to cause me to skip it. Have too many other games I need to get through right now, anyway.

Tacitus_

Still on the fence. I'm still debating whether to get it now to see the train wreck in real time or wait for it to get cheaper.

I enjoyed it enough to want to buy it, but as a Canadian the 70$ price tag without any interest in MP is very steep. I will probably buy it on the first big sale.

No I'm good. Not feeling it at all. Bugs and Animation aside - the set up and characters didn't pull me in so I can wait for an inevitable complete edition down the line. Even then I'll wait for a sale on it. Just not impressed at all with the trial.

I'm thinking about getting it for the MP alone. Which says a lot about what I think about the single player. The multiplayer in ME3 was something I put a lot of hours into and enjoyed but only after completing the single player 2 or 3 times.

After spending a lot of time in it I think I will. Technical issues aside I had fun in it. Barring some weird shit the story isn't that bad, come on. I am interested in finding out more. Reading through all the lore in the codex and stuff, I think "this is Mass Effect". Also, the combat is the most well done thing in this game. Guns feel like they have power, especially the sniper rifles. They've clearly been taking some hints from BF1 and DICE in general.

The animation complaints are justified but the constant gif shitposting is beating the dead horse until it's a skeleton.

No mentioning the lack of feedback and how incredibly dumb the camera is when you go into cover, it don't change as you move sides and so on + no aim sensitivity outside the general look sensitivity.

Not gonna touch the story issue (seriously disagree), but you can switch sides manually. Alt on PC, click... I think left thumb stick on pad. Feedback is pretty good, AI reacts to your hits and powers.

You want more impactful guns, though, you'll probably want to get... better guns :p That's what the loot is for!

DAY ONE BAYBEE

ME1-3 are my top games of last gen and ME:A tops them in every way I care about. I'm on this hype train for the long run.

Yoda

I can overlook the animations if I had confidence about the quality of the story. The dialogue and the messiah like character (OHHHH DA PATHFINDER?!?!?) make me doubt they'll manage to make it something meaningful. Thus, I'll be waiting for reviews.

TI82

Banned

The entire auto-cover system they implemented is so awkward. What was wrong with the cover button from the previous games?!

Pre-ordered after playing the trial. Aside from some questionable facial animations I think the game is pretty awesome. Now I didn't play much ME2, the game just never clicked for me, and never touched ME3, so I don't really have any sort of fatigue with the franchise. I'm probably a bit more forgiving than most. Game looks great, plays great, combat and movement are fun, story seems good. I can't wait!

Top Bottom