• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To those who played the ME: Andromeda trial: are you buying the full game?

The entire auto-cover system they implemented is so awkward. What was wrong with the cover button from the previous games?!

It would make dashing and jumping into and out of cover impossible, or at least, clunky as hell.

It works pretty well here, barring a few issues with thinking something was cover and finding out it wasn't.

It would make dashing and jumping into and out of cover impossible, or at least, clunky as hell.

It works pretty well here, barring a few issues with thinking something was cover and finding out it wasn't.

And there's a skill that gives you deployable cover, which can negate that quibble.

xealo

Got it for about 30% off already due to timing an offer Origin had running a couple months back, and I enjoyed the gameplay quite much in the trial.

Even if it turns out to be a poor rpg what I've experienced of the combat seems to still be a pretty good cover shooter.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Not gonna touch the story issue (seriously disagree), but you can switch sides manually. Alt on PC, click... I think left thumb stick on pad. Feedback is pretty good, AI reacts to your hits and powers.

You want more impactful guns, though, you'll probably want to get... better guns :p That's what the loot is for!
They don't react. They stand there soaking up mag after mag and it's not better in the MP. I got a few rare weapons and they all feel like BBguns and the enemy just takes magazines for days + automatic guns are useless as they are far superior at any range single fire onto the enemies head or weakpoint region.

I do like the bionic throw and things they make them go flying but guns are aweful and the enemy health pool too.

Cruxist

Nope. One of the big draws for me in me3 was the multiplayer, and it's incredibly sketchy from what I played. I'll wait for a few patches, hear what kinda dlc is planned and then make a final decision.

TI82

Banned

Other games like Hitman have a cover button and also let you leave cover without pushing the button? And the climbing over cover thing doesn't work well either since I got stuck in a bug loop of climbing up a ledge and falling off it over and over for awhile and that happened more than once.

They don't react. They stand there soaking up mag after mag and it's not better in the MP. I got a few rare weapons and they all feel like BBguns and the enemy just takes magazines for days + automatic guns are useless as they are far superior at any range single fire onto the enemies head or weakpoint region.

I do like the bionic throw and things they make them go flying but guns are aweful and the enemy health pool too.

Yeah that's another issue the combat just felt... dull? Nothing was reactive other than biotic powers like you said.

I'm playing through the trial, and while I'm enjoying my time with it, I don't feel like I care about the story arc or the characters.

Mass Effect to me is the first game. What came afterwards never really compared to it.

We'll see. One sure thing is that writing is bad, really bad.

It's just not true, though. Using tech powers, enemies always react, and after you hit the basic ones with a combo it's just about doing cleanup. They react to the first hit (assuming they don't have armor or shields), and then go seek cover or fire back.

And if you think the HP pool is too large, turn down the difficulty? Idk.

Other games like Hitman have a cover button and also let you leave cover without pushing the button? And the climbing over cover thing doesn't work well either since I got stuck in a bug loop of climbing up a ledge and falling off it over and over for awhile and that happened more than once.

Yeah that's another issue the combat just felt... dull? Nothing was reactive other than biotic powers like you said.

Yeah, but if you had a cover button you couldn't do stuff like jumpjet backwards out of cover after getting flanked, hit the ground and immediately dash left to take cover behind a pillar and return fire.

It really does work, it just takes a little getting used to.

Ion Guru

Probably not at release for me. Still need to finish Nioh (almost done with it), Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and Horizon Zero Dawn (which I haven't even started yet). My single player backlog is just too long for another big action RPG at the moment. Given some of the rough edges to the new Mass Effect, I'll probably wait for a price drop while I play other stuff.

TI82

Banned
Yeah, but if you had a cover button you couldn't do stuff like jumpjet backwards out of cover after getting flanked, hit the ground and immediately dash left to take cover behind a pillar and return fire.

It really does work, it just takes a little getting used to.

I never felt like that would have been a worthwhile strategy during the trial, especially with the low range of the jumpjet and the distance of the dash? I dunno man, I reaaaalllyyy don't like the new cover system it feels really awkward.

What rare guns were you using? I've only got that "my airsoft gun does more damage" feeling with the M8 which is a legitimately awful gun. But the sniper rifles, they are great. Can 1 or 2 shot kett with headshots using the basic sniper rifle. Haven't really had the opportunity to try the more advanced weapons in the time allowed. It might be the shield/armor thing a lot of enemies have, I find using special ammo/tech powers does a good job taking those down more effectively than just shooting them.

renzolama

Yes. The gameplay positives (particularly combat and exploration) far outweigh some of the animation/story negatives, and the gif/video threads are not an accurate portrayal of how it looks and feels when you're actually playing the game (at least in my experience on PC).

nutella

Neo Member
I played about 6 hours and probably 100%'d what we could do with the early access version. That said, I'll be waiting a few months after release and keeping an eye on the game in the meantime.

My main concern is that I was getting an MMO vibe as I spent more time on Eos. Crafting may be a slog because of all the materials you need to make anything, and actually gathering the materials seemed very time consuming and unfun. Set up mining outposts, drive around gathering / scanning for materials, collect blueprints -- blah. It may be too early to tell how essential that stuff is to your character's progression, however, so I'll see what critics have to say. Oh, and I can't even put into words how much I dislike navigating around the galaxy map to get resources from planets/anomalies.

rpmboy

Granted, I'm only 3 or 3.5 hours into a trial, but no. I was on the fence before, the trial has moved me into the no camp. Might buy Nier instead, or just wait for P5

The animation stuff is funny but would never be a reason I'd write off a game. However after playing the trial this went into my 'pick up on deep sale' category. There just wasn'ta lot interesting about it.

SheHateMe

Considering the price that I got it for, yeah I'm all in.
That price is free, by the way. Thanks for the Switch SNAFU, Amazon.

I'm one of those that supremely enjoyed the first ME. I've probably played it 6 or 7 times over the past 10 years. Then I played through the second one twice and skipped the third one completely.

I'm eager to see how it's gonna play. If anything, I got a free game and I'll play it and move on.

I'm​ coming in with no expectations.

RulkezX

For sure.

Yeah the facial animations are weird, but the trial played exactly like id expect a ME game to play.

No regrets.

I played some more this morning and a lot of the mechanics seem solid enough to keep my ($37 admittedly) purchase.

The animation stuff isn't fantastic, but it isn't as bad as the same 10-12 gifs on GAF are making it seems.

Strike team seems cool, loot seems cool, more weapons and abilities and freedom to customize your ability loadout.

There's enough here to warrant my purchase. It might not be of the same tier as the other ME titles, but will still be worth playing.

Also, I love space.

Yes. The gameplay positives (particularly combat and exploration) far outweigh some of the animation/story negatives, and the gif/video threads are not an accurate portrayal of how it looks and feels when you're actually playing the game (at least in my experience on PC).

This is where I'm at too

The positive impressions from the trial have justified my pre order. But I was never going to cancel it anyway it's Mass Effect.
This. I dont buy or play many games anymore but its mass effect. More or less enjoying the trial. I also have an expensive computer. Might as well play something on it.

I play rpgs for stories and systems. The combat systems here look very interesting even if the story is subpar

TI82

Banned

I'm playing on PC and it's definitely like that with the animations lmao

Izuna

Banned
I was unlikely regardless. These days, I haven't been playing franchises I used to love a lot as a teen etc.

But nothing from ME:A previews got me interested despite ADORING previous entries. I got ME2 Day One and proceeded to do like half the game there and then.

ME:A trial, honestly, makes me happy. Like, even though Fallout 4 ain't all that, not having time to finish it makes me upset.

I basically have ME:A for free and my time is too precious. Animations, characters... They really helped make the OG trilogy so special. ME:A is freaking atrocious in that regard.

Guess I'm not a gamer.

Kimaka

Months or a year later I will. There are some interesting ideas that are touched on in Andromeda such as colonialism and nepotism, but I am not confident in Bioware's ability to write about these well. It doesn't help that the roleplaying is pretty crap.

I'll wait for impressions once the full game is out. I have numerous games to keep me occupied anyway.

jryeje29

Definitely I'm super excited though I did have more than few crashes in multiplayer. But I guess that's what this stuff is for, so it can all be ironed out.

I never felt like that would have been a worthwhile strategy during the trial, especially with the low range of the jumpjet and the distance of the dash? I dunno man, I reaaaalllyyy don't like the new cover system it feels really awkward.

I did that a bunch of times on Insanity, lol. Being able to fly out of cover and reposition back into it in another place rapidly saved my ass more than once. Especially vs. those Kett dogs and minigunners, who are, I might add, way too fucking aggressive for how much damage they can take and put out, lmao.

TI82

Banned
I did that a bunch of times on Insanity, lol. Being able to fly out of cover and reposition back into it in another place rapidly saved my ass more than once. Especially vs. those Kett dogs and minigunners, who are, I might add, way too fucking aggressive for how much damage they can take and put out, lmao.

That's cool, clearly you enjoyed the combat and I found it beyond lackluster and that's fine. As long as you or I aren't attacking people for their opinions (like some of the more overzealous fans in the Trial thread did) we can all get along :)

Edit: And just to clarify, I'm a huge Mass Effect fan so I didn't want to be disappointed in this game. I literally only purchased origin access for this trial.

I am enjoying the game so far. Runs pretty well on my machine. so far so good, I like the story so far. Animations don't really bother me yet.just got to the nexus about an hour ago.

Once I checked out the map I was getting some serious mass effect 1 vibes and immediately flashed back to looking for every secret on the exploration missions.

Still have so many games to finish though, so I'll probably take my time with it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
What rare guns were you using? I've only got that "my airsoft gun does more damage" feeling with the M8 which is a legitimately awful gun. But the sniper rifles, they are great. Can 1 or 2 shot kett with headshots using the basic sniper rifle. Haven't really had the opportunity to try the more advanced weapons in the time allowed. It might be the shield/armor thing a lot of enemies have, I find using special ammo/tech powers does a good job taking those down more effectively than just shooting them.
Don't know their name but it was some crazy ROF AR and a burst fire alien looking AR. I tried an SMG under pistol too which was fun but ultimately only useful of ou single fire enemy in the head like every other gun...

Lt-47

Hell yes. I did not plan to pay for EA access but I was too worried after the gif/animation shitstorm. After 10h I know that I'm going to enjoy that game even with all the jank

10 extremely fun hours. I'm definitely keeping my preorder. My only regret is that I played the trial on Thursday and Friday instead of waiting until tomorrow and Monday haha

itxaka

Defeatist
Not at 50/60€. Yes at 35€ with some patching.

Edit: doesn't help that i don't have a lot of spare time right now.

TI82

Banned
Edit: doesn't help that i don't have a lot of spare time right now.

Yeah that's another thing that pushed me away, we have persona 5 coming next month and just had Zelda. To release such a lackluster (at least the first 10 hours which is a fair shake imo) game inbetween those two is just... well... :x

JMY86

I loved my 20 hours (10 on PC & 10 on Xbox One) despite a few small issues which do not really bother me. The game is a day one purchase for me no question. I was planning on playing on PS4 Pro but damn the PC version looks nice plus VPN early access makes it a no brainer. I played through the entirety of the previous trilogy on PC so it seems fitting that I continue my story there.

Ominym

Banned
Yes. I'm not a hypocryt who doesn't want to play a good game with good story because of some facial animations
Would you mind telling me how not wanting to play a game for these reasons makes someone a hypocrite? Because I don't see any reason to call hypocrisy there.

Yup. The trial sold me on the game. I pre ordered the deluxe when I got home from the gym digitally since I get a discount on EA games. Hopefully there will be a nice Scorpio patch.

I was on the fence after the constant previews that paint a very dry picture because of the janky animations, and although I honestly don't think this is by any stretch of the word a goty candidate (combination between an amazing year and the game's own faults) I think if you're a ME this is a day one purchase after having played 5-6 hours on the ea access trial.

Top Bottom