• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TolkienGAF |OT| The World is Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

71fRpOg.jpg

Welcome everyone to TolkienGAF's new home! What with the Hobbit films being over, we figured it was a good time to finally have one single thread where we can discuss all things related to J.R.R. Tolkien and his works. This includes not only literature, but also the films (live action and animated), board games, video games, everything is up for discussion. This does, unfortunately, mean we are retiring our old and faithful "Literary Works of J.R.R. Tolkien" megathread as well as our long-standing "Hobbit trilogy production thread". There's a ton of great discussions from those threads that we can certainly carry over to this one.

But to get us going, Dantès has compiled a lovely and extensive "Tolkien Timeline". Bask in its glory:

A timeline for J.R.R Tolkien - by Edmond Dantès

1891 – Mabel Suffield travels to Africa to marry Arthur Tolkien, English manager of a bank in Orange Free State, in Bloemfontein.

1892 – Their first son, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien is born, 3 January. Generally called Ronald.

1894 – A second son, Hilary Arthur Reuel is born.

1895 – Mabel and her sons return to England, partly for reason of Ronald’s health.

1896 – Arthur Tolkien dies of rheumatic fever in South Africa. Mabel moves her sons to a cottage in the hamlet of Sarehole, a mill outside the city. She begins to teach Ronald Latin and art, the beginning of four years he later called “the longest seeming formative part of my life”.

1900 – Mabel and her sons become Catholic. Her family withdraws financial support, forcing her to live on a small inheritance. Mabel moves to a house in Birmingham, a suburb of Moseley. Ronald enters King Edward’s School.

1902 –Ronald changes schools and enrolls at St. Philip’s Grammar School.

1903 – Returns to King Edward’s on a scholarship.

1904 – In April of this year Mabel is hospitalized and diagnosed with diabetes. She retires, under sponsorship of Father Morgan, to a rural cottage at Rednal, Worcestershire. The boys join her in June. In November she dies. Father Morgan is designated the boys’ guardian.

1906 – 1911 –Ronald privately studies Old English, Old Norse and Gothic and begins to invent languages with their own grammars and histories, and writes poems, some in invented languages.

1908 – The brothers board with a Mrs Faulkner. Edith Bratt, also an orphan, is also there.

1909 – In Autumn Father Morgan discovers the romance between Ronald and Edith, which he fears may lead to early marriage and ruin Tolkien’s career prospects. Tolkien fails to win an Oxford scholarship.

1910 – Father Morgan moves the boys. Ronald is forbidden to contact Edith until he is twenty-one. She leaves Birmingham. Ronald speaks Gothic and Old English in a school debate. He is awarded a small scholarship to study classical languages at Exeter College, Oxford.

1911 – During the summer, he enjoys fellowship of clique of like-minded students at King Edward’s, the Tea Club. He hikes through mountains in Switzerland. He enters Oxford.

1912 – He begins the study of comparative philology under Joseph Wright, joins and camps with a cavalry regiment, reads a paper on the Kalevala and writes poems.

1913 – Turns 21 and contacts Edith. She breaks engagement to another man. He takes a Second Class in exams and transfers from classics to English, with emphasis on philology and formally studies Old Norse.

1914 – Edith becomes Catholic, and they are formally engaged. Britain declares war on Germany. Tolkien decides to complete his degree before serving.

1915 – Receives First Honors on final examination, takes a commission, and begins army training. Continues to write poetry in fairy language and English, including the anthologized ‘Goblin Feet’.

1916 – Marries Edith. Is shipped to France, where he serves as battalion signaling officer in the Somme. Survives horrors of mechanized war and is sent home in November with Trench Fever.

1917 – While convalescing, begins The Book of Lost Tales, including The Fall of Gondolin, and spends most of the year hospitalized. His first son John is born.

1918 – Posted in Staffordshire, and continues writing the Lost Tales. When the war ends he joins the staff of the New English Dictionary (later known as the Oxford English Dictionary) at Oxford and works in the letter ‘W’.

1920 – Appointed Reader in English Language at Leeds University. His second son, Michael is born.

1922 – Publishes ‘A Middle English Vocabulary’. E.V Gordon hired at Leeds, and they begin work on their standards edition of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

1924 – Appointed Professor of English Language at Leeds. His third son, Christopher is born.

1925 – The Gawain edition is published. Elected Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford.

1926 – Forms ‘The Coalbiters’, a faculty club reading Old Norse. He meets C.S Lewis.

1928 – In Summer he scribbles the first sentence of The Hobbit on a blank examination book page and begins to tell the story to his children.

1929 – His daughter, Priscilla is born.

1930 – Completes full draft of The Silmarillion. Begins scribbled draft of The Hobbit and reaches the death of Smaug.

1932 – C.S Lewis reads the manuscript of The Hobbit. Tolkien at work on an expanded Silmarillion and continues to publish poems and articles.

1934 – Receives two-year Leverhulme Research Fellowship.

1936 – Delivers his famous, ‘Beowulf: The Monsters and Critics’, lecture before the British Academy. Susan Dagnall, with Allen and Unwin, reads The Hobbit manuscript and suggests he completes it. He does so and it is accepted for publication.

1937 – The Hobbit is published in autumn and is a commercial and critical success. Stanley Unwin asks for a sequel. Tolkien submits ‘Father Christmas Letters’ and ‘The Silmarillion’. They are rejected. In December he writes the first chapter of the ‘New Hobbit’, which will become The Lord of the Rings.

1938 – Expands Farmer Giles of Ham manuscript to book length. The Hobbit is published in the United States by Houghton Mifflin and receives New York Herald Tribune award as best children’s book of the season. Drafts twelve chapters of The Lord of the Rings.

1939 – Lectures ‘On Fairy Stories’ at St Andrews University. World War II begins. Sixteen chapters of The Lord of the Rings written.

1943 – Christopher Tolkien enters the Air Force.

1944 – Tolkien writes long letters to Christopher, who is serving in South Africa, and sends him new chapters of The Lord of the Rings, now into book five.

1945 – ‘Leaf by Niggle’ is published in the Dublin Review. Germany is defeated. Atomic bombs are dropped on Japan. Tolkien elected Merton Professor of English Language and Literature and says he is putting The Lord of the Rings “before all else”.

1947 – He notes the discrepancies between The Hobbit and its sequel, particularly as to the nature of the ring.

1948 – The Lord of the Rings is completed in the summer.

1949 – Farmer Giles of Ham is published.

1950 – Negotiates with Collins, a London publisher, to publish The Silmarillion alongside The Lord of the Rings. Farmer Giles sells slowly.

1951 – The revised edition of The Hobbit is published.

1952 – Collins returns manuscripts. Tolkien agrees to allow Allen Unwin to publish The Lord of the Rings without The Silmarillion.

1954 – The first two volumes of The Lord of the Rings published.

1955 – The last volume published with the appendices included.

1957 – The Hobbit is published in German.

1959 – Tolkien retires from his Oxford professorship.

1960 – Attempts to rewrite The Hobbit, eventually abandons attempt after sage advice. The Hobbit published in Polish.

1962 – The Adventures of Tom Bombadil published. The Hobbit is published in Portuguese and Swedish. Tolkien’s edition of the Middle English Ancrene Wisse is published.

1964 – Tree and Leaf is published.

1965 – An unauthorised Ace paperback edition of The Lord of the Rings, the first inexpensive version, triggers sudden popularity of Tolkien on college campuses and attention from the press. There is a legal conflict over publishing rights. An authorised revised edition is issued by Ballantine and is a best seller. The Tolkien Society of America is founded.

1966 – A revised third edition of The Hobbit is published.

1967 – Smith of Wooton major is published.

1968 – The Tolkiens move to Poole, near Bournemouth, in a seaside resort area.

1970 – The staff of the Oxford English Dictionary compiles an entry for ‘hobbit’.

1971 – Edith Tolkien dies, aged eighty two. Is buried at Wolvercote Cemetery in Oxford.

1972 – Tolkien returns to Oxford, with rooms at Merton College. Receives honorary doctorate from Oxford University and is honoured by the Queen.

1973 – Visiting friends in Bournemouth, he becomes ill and dies a few days later on 2 September, at eighty one years of age. His son Christopher, as literary executor, is left with the task of completing The Silmarillion.

It's here! I'm finally working my way through the "Letters of JRR Tolkien" (took me a little longer to get around to it than I anticipated). Quite fasincating insights into the publishing and writing process of LOTR.

He mentions an unfinished story called "The King of the Green Dozen" - has that ever been published in any form?

I've recently finished The Hobbit, it feels so much better without all the padding, and you get a feel that the journey takes longer than the movie makes it. Now starting on The Lord of the Rings (Amazon sells an eBook that has all 3 in 1 book), and reading on the history of Hobbits.

Loxley

It's here! I'm finally working my way through the "Letters of JRR Tolkien" (took me a little longer to get around to it than I anticipated). Quite fasincating insights into the publishing and writing process of LOTR.

He mentions an unfinished story called "The King of the Green Dozen" - has that ever been published in any form?

To my knowledge it has yet to ever be officially published - that letter is the only place I remember ever reading about it. Even though Tolkien said it wasn't finished, maybe one day we'll get to see it if we're lucky.

terrisus

Really glad to have the Tolkien thread continue on.

I read The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion when I was younger, in the early 1990s, and they definitely played a large part in my love for fantasy and adventure, among many other things.

I read parts of them in subsequent years, but never got around to re-reading them in full.
Then, with my stroke in 2013, and the significant impact it had on my vision, I figured I wouldn't ever actually get going to them again.

Thanks to some great suggestions of Audiobook versions in the previous thread though, I did listen through The Lord of the Rings again last year/this year, and am listening through The Silmarillion now.
It's definitely not the same as actually reading them, but given my situation, it's definitely much easier.

They bring back so many memories. Of my childhood. Of things that I enjoyed and loved when I was younger. Of things that I did. Of things that I should have done.
In a way, it's quite bittersweet. How I wish I could go back to then and do things differently. There are so many things that I would have done differently. I don't know how my life ever ended up like this.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Ainaurdur

I started by trying to read the runes in the banner... it made no sense at first.
Silly me.

Looking forward to this continued road. I will follow it, if I can.

Cheebo

Banned
So glad to get back to the amazing written works of Tolkien and we can move past those awful awful Hobbit films.

They bring back so many memories. Of my childhood. Of things that I enjoyed and loved when I was younger. Of things that I did. Of things that I should have done.
In a way, it's quite bittersweet. How I wish I could go back to then and do things differently. There are so many things that I would have done differently. I don't know how my life ever ended up like this.

The power of great literature to take us back is really something...I feel like Tolkien is special in this regard because of the way Frodo and Sam (and even Bilbo) look back on their adventures when they move on.

Loxley

Oh, regarding our Silmarillion thread, I think its safe to say that we're more or less moving on from it at this point. It was a noble effort on everyone's part and a lot of fun, but it's such a dense read that we kept losing people with each passing week. But hey, we tried :) There was a lot of awesome discussion going on in there and I'm glad we did it.

Having said that, things like The Hobbit or any one part of the Lord of the Rings would lend themselves to that kind of read-through thread much more easily than the Silmarillion. So perhaps at some point in the future we'll attempt another Tolkien reading with something a little more easy to swallow.

*edit - Here's a collection of the banners for the chapters we managed to get through:

To my knowledge it has yet to ever be officially published - that letter is the only place I remember ever reading about it. Even though Tolkien said it wasn't finished, maybe one day we'll get to see it if we're lucky.

Yeah, that'd be really neat. He said it wouldn't take much work to finish. Crazy to think there is still unpublished material out there (other than alternate Silmarillion versions; I'm sure there is a lot there).

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yeah, that'd be really neat. He said it wouldn't take much work to finish. Crazy to think there is still unpublished material out there (other than alternate Silmarillion versions; I'm sure there is a lot there).
There are quite a few unpublished materials. One upcoming this year is to feature Tolkien's version of the Tale of Kullervo (from the Finnish Kalevala). It served as a blueprint for his Turin story and its many iterations.
It's really ingenious in my opinion.

Nice to see you again, old friend.
Mae govannen.

Jacob

I'm glad to see this thread up. Big thanks to both Loxley and Dantes for all the work you've done for the TolkienGAF community.

Ruruja

Good to see this thread finally appear, I'll try and take part in discussions now and again.

Here's a relevant fun fact about myself - my initials are LSR. No doubt you'll know why that's pretty cool.

Edmond Dantès;155198065 said:
There are quite a few unpublished materials. One upcoming this year is to feature Tolkien's version of the Tale of Kullervo (from the Finnish Kalevala). It served as a blueprint for his Turin story and its many iterations.

Sounds like I need to expand my collection. I only have The Hobbit, LOTR, Unfinished Tales, Silmarillion, and now Letters. What would be the logical next step?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Sounds like I need to expand my collection. I only have The Hobbit, LOTR, Unfinished Tales, Silmarillion, and now Letters. What would be the logical next step?
His non-Arda fiction is probably the next step for you. They are lighter reading than the aforementioned books and offer a fairy tale experience that closely resembles The Hobbit.

Much of these can be found in the Tales of the Perilous Realm. This collection includes:

• Farmer Giles of Ham - a short story about an English farmer who encounters a dragon.
  • Smith of Wootton Major - a short story, set partly in Faerie and partly in the area near Oxford.
  • Leaf by Niggle - regarded as allegorical short story.
  • Roverandom - about the adventures of a young dog, turned into a toy by a wizard.
It also includes The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, a collection of poems and an essay (On Fairy-Stories) which discusses the fairy-story as a literary form.

Then you can return to Arda via The History of Middle-earth series, a tome of analysis.

Finally, his other works, which include Beowulf, The Fall of Arthur, The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún, Finn and Hengest and Kullervo eventually.

Norfair

When the war ends he joins the staff of the New English Dictionary (later known as the Oxford English Dictionary) at Oxford and works in the letter ‘W’.

I don't know why but that made me giggle.

Jacob

In addition to the non-legendarium stuff, I highly recommend the History of Middle-earth series and Humphrey Carpenter's biography of Tolkien. If you liked the Letters I think you'll enjoy those "behind the scenes" books as well.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ha. I missed The Silmarillion read through on GAF, but I still I read it as per my annual requirement. What a book. What a thread.

Edmond Dantès;155203948 said:
His non-Arda fiction is probably the next step for you. They are lighter reading than the aforementioned books and offer a fairy tale experience that closely resembles The Hobbit.

Much of these can be found in the Tales of the Perilous Realm. This collection includes:

• Farmer Giles of Ham - a short story about an English farmer who encounters a dragon.
  • Smith of Wootton Major - a short story, set partly in Faerie and partly in the area near Oxford.
  • Leaf by Niggle - regarded as allegorical short story.
  • Roverandom - about the adventures of a young dog, turned into a toy by a wizard.
It also includes The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, a collection of poems and an essay (On Fairy-Stories) which discusses the fairy-story as a literary form.

Then you can return to Arda via The History of Middle-earth series, a tome of analysis.

Finally, his other works, which include Beowulf, The Fall of Arthur, The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún, Finn and Hengest and Kullervo eventually.

In addition to the non-legendarium stuff, I highly recommend the History of Middle-earth series and Humphrey Carpenter's biography of Tolkien. If you liked the Letters I think you'll enjoy those "behind the scenes" books as well.

Thank you both! I completely forgot that I have already read the Perilous Realm, sorry about that. The fairy story essay was really excellent and the stories themselves were, on the whole, charming.

How would you describe the History series? Is it comparable to parts of Unfinished Tales by having chunks of Tolkien's writing followed by Christopher's notes to tie it all together?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Thank you both! I completely forgot that I have already read the Perilous Realm, sorry about that. The fairy story essay was really excellent and the stories themselves were, on the whole, charming.

How would you describe the History series? Is it comparable to parts of Unfinished Tales by having chunks of Tolkien's writing followed by Christopher's notes to tie it all together?
Very much like you describe but even more so than the Unfinished Tales. The Histories also include the abandoned narrative (The Book of Lost Tales Volumes 1 and 2) that served as a prelude of sorts to The Silmarillion, as well as extensive histories of the Dwarves, the Elves and their customs, the development of the Akallabêth, essays on the languages themselves. The History series is a treasure trove of information for any Tolkien reader.

This is one of the better editions available, collecting all the volumes:

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780007105083/The+Complete+History+of+Middle-earth+

terrisus

The power of great literature to take us back is really something...I feel like Tolkien is special in this regard because of the way Frodo and Sam (and even Bilbo) look back on their adventures when they move on.

Agreed. Especially when there was such a period of time separating the reading, and such significant life differences. Bilbo's process of looking back on his adventures in The Hobbit during the process of The Lord of the Rings definitely really speaks to me as well. It feels like a different lifetime ago for him at that point, and is more of a memory in those books.

On a tangential note, I've never actually watched through the current Lord of the Rings or Hobbit movies (I'm not a big movie fan), but I did watch the Rankin/Bass versions in the 1980s when I was younger, and I enjoyed them. Apparently this song was created for those movies, and I really like it:

Roads go ever, ever on
To the lands beyond the sea.
On a white ship will I sail,
Watching shadows part for me.

Leaving Havens grey with rain,
Now that years have slipped away.
Leaving friends with gentle pain
As they start another day.

The roads I travel I must leave,
For I've turned the final bend.
Weep not empty tears, but grieve
As the roads come to an end.

It's so easy not to try;
Let the world go drifting by.
If you never say hello,
You won't have to say goodbye.

If you never say hello,
You won't have to say goodbye.

dukeoflegs

I'll be subbing this thread.
I just started rekindling my love for Tolkien. I use to read the LotR every year in high school and a couple years after. It mostly got rekindled after working on Shadow of Mordor and yesterday I started reading the Last Ring Bearer (Not Tolkien but really dig the idea behind it).

Edmond Dantès;155211025 said:
Very much like you describe but even more so than the Unfinished Tales. The Histories also include the abandoned narrative (The Book of Lost Tales Volumes 1 and 2) that served as a prelude of sorts to The Silmarillion, as well as extensive histories of the Dwarves, the Elves and their customs, the development of the Akallabêth, essays on the languages themselves. The History series is a treasure trove of information for any Tolkien reader.

This is one of the better editions available, collecting all the volumes:

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780007105083/The+Complete+History+of+Middle-earth+

Perfect, thanks. Sounds like there is a lot to dig into. That will be my next project when I finish Letters!

Apparently this song was created for those movies, and I really like it:

Yeah, that's rather nice. I've been meaning to watch those versions. The clips I've seen online make it look really endearing.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Loxley and Edmond, you're our heroes! Awesome OT.

Jacob

HoME follows on the model of Unfinished Tales, but it has opposite priorities. UT is a collection of stories that also includes notes from Christopher shedding some light on the textual situation. HoME is primarily a scholarly history of Tolkien's writing process, which includes numerous documents quoted in their entirety. The closest thing to this style in UT is the Galadriel and Celeborn chapter. They're still fascinating books, but you have to want to make a study of Tolkien to get the most out of it, though some of the narrative fragments (like the LOTR epilogue in Volume IX and the abandoned sequel in Volume XII) are in and if themselves worth the price of certain volumes if you're into that sort of thing.

The first two volumes of the series (the Book of Lost Tales) has some of the longest narratives, and it's the chronological starting point, but Tolkien was writing in an extremely archaic style at that point so it can be a little jarring even if you didn't have a problem with The Silmarillion.

daxy

This is just what I've been looking for! I just recently got started reading Tolkien. It's silly, but while the movies didn't really convince me, it was Brad from Giantbomb going off on a tangent about the mythologies described in the Silmarillion during a Shadow of Mordor quick look got me really interested in reading Tolkien.

So, I recently picked up the Annotated Hobbit, which I started reading as well, and I've been enjoying the history surrounding Tolkien's legacy and the iterations these books have gone through a lot, aside from the Hobbit itself.

I also picked up the 60th anniversary boxed set with the Reader's Companion with an eye on a second, fresh read in the future. While I permit myself to read all these asides in the Hobbit, I think it'll be too much of a distraction on my first read of the trilogy. I was doubting between this one and the new 60th anniversary book that contains all three parts (and nice illustrations!), but I like the idea of engrossing myself in these in my off time and reading them wherever I'm most comfortable, rather than having to sit down behind a table to put this huge tome on and making it a whole thing each time I want to read.

As I understand it, the Silmarillion will make more sense once I've finished these.

Look forward to reading interesting stuff here!

terrisus

Yeah, that's rather nice. I've been meaning to watch those versions. The clips I've seen online make it look really endearing.

Some of it's probably childhood nostalgia speaking - and, as I said, I can't compare them to the modern movies since I haven't really seen those...
But, yeah, I really liked them.

Just wanted to say thanks for this OT. Lord of the Rings was a huge thing for my dad and myself growing up, and since he died it's had an even greater place in my heart.

I can't think of any other books that evoke the same feelings within me feelings that LotR does, even now. Will do my utmost to contribute to the thread as much as I am possible.

Thank you again Loxley and Dante for this, it means more than you know.

I've been looking for an excuse to re-read LOTR. A Neogaf read along would be pretty cool but this thread is probably still too fresh to organise that.

terrisus

On another note - the relationships of Beren and Lúthien, and of Aragorn and Arwen, played a significant part in my development of the concept of a relationship and love.

Of course, the reality of my situation isn't - and never has been - anywhere even remotely close to that =(

Turin

Banned
I first started getting enthralled by Tolkien's lore about 4-5 years ago. It was therapeutic in a way. Helped me through a period of depression back then.

Pretty sure my enthusiasm for Tolkien got me my first teaching job last week...

Now that is awesome. :D

Excellent. I can safely say have been a fan since I can remember remembering to read. Read the books several times and will do again. The original trilogy in my mind are excellent. The hobbit movie was a bit naff.

I must admit I have not read any work by Christopher Tolkien, please can any folks here let me know what you think to his books.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Excellent. I can safely say have been a fan since I can remember remembering to read. Read the books several times and will do again. The original trilogy in my mind are excellent. The hobbit movie was a bit naff.

I must admit I have not read any work by Christopher Tolkien, please can any folks here let me know what you think to his books.
In relation to his father's works, much of Christopher's contributions have been editing, consolidation and analysis. He has also written certain chapters of The Silmarillion, that were left unfinished.

His most significant work is The History of Middle-earth series and it is certainly worth reading through.

Away from his father's legacy he has translated a number of tales, which are generally well received.

OMG OT YAY!!!! Thanks you two <3 I was wondering when I'd see this pop up :) It's nice to see a shiny new thread, I miss talkin' about stuffs!!

Also, it's not exclusively Middle Earth-y but I did pick up Tolkien's translation of Beowulf recently. I friggin' love Beowulf, so I'm excited to read it again, in his style :) And it was such a pretty hardback edition I couldn't help myself. Mmmm <3

GDGF

Soothsayer
And bookmarked. Great work.

Wish you guys were around when I was reading these for the first time <3

Or the world wide web, even

Loxley

Just wanted to say thanks for this OT. Lord of the Rings was a huge thing for my dad and myself growing up, and since he died it's had an even greater place in my heart.

I can't think of any other books that evoke the same feelings within me feelings that LotR does, even now. Will do my utmost to contribute to the thread as much as I am possible.

Thank you again Loxley and Dante for this, it means more than you know.

You're very welcome!

Pretty sure my enthusiasm for Tolkien got me my first teaching job last week...

Congrats man, that's awesome.

Weta posted a pretty cool pic of their ol' Lothlorian miniature bigature on facebook today:

Edmond Dantès;155253724 said:
In relation to his father's works, much of Christopher's contributions have been editing, consolidation and analysis. He has also written certain chapters of The Silmarillion, that were left unfinished.

His most significant work is The History of Middle-earth series and it is certainly worth reading through.

Away from his father's legacy he has translated a number of tales, which are generally well received.

Thanks chap. Have seen his work from time to time and wondered if I should pick up any of his books. Will take a look at Amazon when next surfing for a new read.

Watevaman

Subbing, not so much for my discussion, but for reading what people have to say about these works. Keeps me so interested in the world Tolkien created.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
An interesting review of Kazuo Ishiguro's new book, 'The Buried Giant' by Tom Holland (author of Rubicon: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic, Persian Fire and other such history books).

Kazuo Ishiguro ventures into Tolkien territory
In 1953, JRR Tolkien wrote an essay on Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, a late medieval poem that features the eponymous nephew of King Arthur undertaking a mysterious quest. He praised it for the deep roots it had in the past – a quality he saw it as sharing with both Beowulf and King Lear: “It is made of tales often told before and elsewhere, and of elements that derive from remote times, beyond the vision or awareness of the poet.” The ultimate origins of the poem, as of the entire corpus of Arthurian myth, lay back in the murkiest depths of the dark ages; a time when native Britons and invading Saxons had been fighting over the abandoned Roman province of Britannia. Arthur, the probably fictional war leader who was supposed to have stemmed the Saxon advance, could be located in the period, and enshrined as a great king, precisely because almost nothing was known about it. Only odd fragments of poetry had survived to hint at how natives and immigrants in post-Roman Britain might actually have made sense of the world. It was from these same fragments that Tolkien, committed to restoring to his country the legends he felt had been lost as a result of the Norman conquest, had fashioned The Lord of the Rings.

The genre of fantasy he thereby founded has been one that novelists of the kind who win the Booker prize tend not to touch with a barge-pole. Literary fiction and dragons rarely go together. This, though, has evidently not deterred Kazuo Ishiguro. For all the constancy of his obsession with themes of memory and loss, he has always delighted in taking his fans by surprise. In When We Were Orphans, he made play with the detective novel; in Never Let Me Go, with science fiction. Now, in The Buried Giant, his first novel for 10 years, he has performed his most startling and audacious adaptation of genre yet. “Icy fogs hung over rivers and marshes,” Ishiguro writes in the opening paragraph, “serving all too well the ogres that were then still native to this land.” A dragon is not merely present in the novel, but lies at the very heart of its plot.

Nevertheless, the palpable debt Ishiguro owes to the literary tradition established by The Lord of the Rings only makes his adaptation of it stranger and more hallucinatory. The role of Tolkien in The Buried Giant is akin to that of Wodehouse in The Remains of the Day: less a model than a fixed point to be destabilised. Although the first characters we meet live underground, connected “one to another by underground passages and covered corridors”, the village is no Hobbiton. Rather than transmute dark-ages Britain into Middle-earth, Ishiguro gives us what is ostensibly a historical novel – and yet the narrator’s show of objectivity, garnished as it is with seemingly authoritative allusions to the iron age and Roman roads, is itself a deception. At times, it will speak as though from the present day; at other times, as though from an age in which its audience might well have grown up in roundhouses. Geography and details of history are similarly scrambled – and literary influences too. Sir Gawain appears, roaming through a landscape familiar from the medieval poem about the Green Knight; but in Ishiguro’s novel, he has become an old man, Don Quixote-like in battered armour. A warrior who wrestles with ogres and stalks a dragon is recognisably drawn from Beowulf. Echoes of “La Belle Dame Sans Merci” repeatedly sound. “Do these trees ail, even as they shelter us?”
...continued here: Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom