• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TolkienGAF |OT| The World is Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renegade Yeti

Neo Member
Great work on the OT guys :)

Just finished Children of Hurin and I was wondering what GAF''s opinion on it is?, I very rarely see it mentioned on Tolkien threads , personally I loved it a lot darker then most middle earth based stories

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

Just finished Children of Hurin and I was wondering what GAF''s opinion on it is?, I very rarely see it mentioned on Tolkien threads , personally I loved it a lot darker then most middle earth based stories
Dark as it is in nature, with a protagonist who has few redeeming qualities, it is a rather good tale. Tolkien took a tale from old lore, modified it and gave it a new audience via his own created mythology.

Edmond Dantès;155320867 said:
An interesting review of Kazuo Ishiguro's new book, 'The Buried Giant' by Tom Holland (author of Rubicon: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic, Persian Fire and other such history books).

This book sounds pretty good based on that excerpt. Goodreads is giving away some signed first editions, if anyone is interested.

I haven't read the standalone version, but have read the other versions and loved it. I may prefer Glaurung to Smaug. He is a cruel genius, and much scarier.

Huge thanks for Loxley and Dantes, and to other enthusiasts and writers on these Tolkien topics too. I have followed your journey and discussions from shadows for long time, and it's great to be part of it now.

And great to hear there's coming Tolkiens version of tale of Kullervo. Since I'm from Finland, Kalevala has special place in my heart and I'm proud it had so big impact to Middle-earth stories and history building of it.

Ixion

HoME follows on the model of Unfinished Tales, but it has opposite priorities. UT is a collection of stories that also includes notes from Christopher shedding some light on the textual situation. HoME is primarily a scholarly history of Tolkien's writing process, which includes numerous documents quoted in their entirety. The closest thing to this style in UT is the Galadriel and Celeborn chapter. They're still fascinating books, but you have to want to make a study of Tolkien to get the most out of it, though some of the narrative fragments (like the LOTR epilogue in Volume IX and the abandoned sequel in Volume XII) are in and if themselves worth the price of certain volumes if you're into that sort of thing.

I'm reading the History of Middle-Earth series now, and I'm just skipping the Christopher Tolkien notes, as well as the multiple versions of given sections. I love Tolkien, but not enough to really delve into his edits and thought process behind everything.

This thread motivated me to return to the LotR books last night. Starting over with Fellowship of the Ring. Already learned something new: the LotR trilogy is not an actual trilogy, but a set of 6 "books" as per Tolkien's foreword note.

Also, Hobbits ranging in height from 2-4 feet is really surprising. I can't imagine the cast of Hobbits during the quest being 2 feet tall, that would be really diminutive.

Finally finished a re read of the LOTR Trilogy and actually just reading the Hobbit for the first time now!

I see what everyone was saying when they said the hobbit might be "Better Written" it's much easier to follow that's for sure!

I love all the little details and dialogue from the books that Jackson got into the movies. Little stuff like the Annie Lennox song into the west using lines from the elf poetry in the book about that part of middle earth

kess

Reading the trilogy again, I've come to like the writing Fellowship of the Ring more than the rest of the books-- it wouldn't be totally inaccurate to say that I'm falling out of love with the Return of the King, which appeals less to me than it used to.

Ixion

Reading the trilogy again, I've come to like the writing Fellowship of the Ring more than the rest of the books-- it wouldn't be totally inaccurate to say that I'm falling out of love with the Return of the King, which appeals less to me than it used to.

I've read the trilogy twice, and I remember loving FOTR for the mystery and ROTK for the scope and majesty. It's TTT that isn't quite as good in my opinion. Especially since there's such a large lull period towards the middle of the story.

Also, my opinion of the three PJ films is pretty much the same as above.

The writing once the Fellowship is underway is sublime; very crisp and Tolkien utilizes some direct simple Anglo-Saxon derived vocabulary to drive points home powerfully and efficiently to counterpoint the whimsy and brief flirts with danger of the first "book" earlier.

Loxley

The writing once the Fellowship is underway is sublime; very crisp and Tolkien utilizes some direct simple Anglo-Saxon derived vocabulary to drive points home powerfully and efficiently to counterpoint the whimsy and brief flirts with danger of the first "book" earlier.

Some of my favorite writing of Tolkien's is Fog on the Barrow-downs. Tolkien's descriptive writing style works wonders, especially when he's trying to create a creepy and uneasy atmosphere.

kess

Some of my favorite writing of Tolkien's is Fog on the Barrow-downs. Tolkien's descriptive writing style works wonders, especially when he's trying to create a creepy and uneasy atmosphere.

I saw the movie first, so running into the entire stretch between the Old Forest to Bombadil to the Barrow Downs made for one of the best reading experiences I've had. There's a crisp clear style to his writing in the early chapters that really sets a scene. The passage of the Dead Marshes comes to mind, another good chapter.

Turin

Banned
Edmond Dantès;155326312 said:
Dark as it is in nature, with a protagonist who has few redeeming qualities, it is a rather good tale. Tolkien took a tale from old lore, modified it and gave it a new audience via his own created mythology.

At least I'm more human than Aragorn. Hmph!

For the record, I have no problem with Aragorn.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
At least I'm more human than Aragorn. Hmph!

For the record, I have no problem with Aragorn.
Yes indeed. I find Turin a far more interesting character than Aragorn. Turin is an example of a character that goes against the consensus of certain critics that regard Tolkien as a writer of characters of a didactic nature, who lack a certain depth.

Mego Thor

Neo Member
Christopher Tolkien is probably designing a casket lined with ball bearings to make his eventual spinning in his grave easier, but Shadow of Mordor is a really, really good game.

Christopher Tolkien is probably designing a casket lined with ball bearings to make his eventual spinning in his grave easier, but Shadow of Mordor is a really, really good game.
Yes, it is great. I know it goes against a lot of Tolkien's writings but I'm just happy to have a game that's set in a Middle Earth that's not a piece a crap and that's what Shadow of Mordor gave us. I would love for a sequel to expand into more interesting areas than just Mordor but I don't really mind if the over-the-top power fantasy that you can upgrade Talion too persists.

Mego Thor

Neo Member
The PS2-era Two Towers and Return of the King games were also well done. I would given just about anything to have had a game like those when I was a first-time Tolkien reader.

Loxley

The PS2-era Two Towers and Return of the King games were also well done. I would given just about anything to have had a game like those when I was a first-time Tolkien reader.

I actually re-purchased a PS2 last year just to play through those games again, they're still a ton of fun. Plus, playing any action game with Howard Shore's music will automatically make it awesome.

Fun fact: Because the Return of the King game was developed so quickly, it actually uses the Witch King's original design which featured a more Sauron-like pointy helmet and a much smaller mace:

jF5gp3P.jpg

How it looked in the film:
mBqAjTg.jpg

The design was changed when they shot pick-ups for RoTK, but I guess the game was too far along at that point to go back and update the character model (they had less than a year to crank that thing out).

Mego Thor

Neo Member
I actually re-purchased a PS2 last year just to play through those games again, they're still a ton of fun. Plus, playing any action game with Howard Shore's music will automatically make it awesome.

I specifically remember thinking at the time, "If I could take this game, with all its spoken dialog and scenes from an honest-to-God LotR movie, back in time and show it to the Golden Age Mego Thor with his Atari 2600; he'd think I was some kind of wizard."

Which I guess I would be if was time travelling just to show myself how far video gaming has come.

I never played The Two Towers but I remember Return of the King was pretty sweet especially with a buddy. There was one level that was particularly awesome but I cannot remember which one it was.

Loxley

I replayed Return of the King a couple of months ago and it was still unbelievably hard. Playing as Legolas during the Ghost City bossfight was a terrible idea.

No kidding. That walls of Minus Tirith level with Gandalf also took me about two dozen attempts before I finally beat it. I remember reading an article in EGM about the game and the devs basically said "Screw the players, we wanted to make a hard game so we did."

Yep, sure did.

bengraven

My favorite Tolkien of all is everything from meeting up with Fatty at Frodo's supposed "new home" to the rush to the hedge, the old forest, and then the Barrow Downs. As you said, the atmosphere is very creepy, very unsettling. We're seeing a very eldritch type of horror here, something very old and unknown to even some of the wisest locals.

When I decided to write my own fantasy novel a few years ago, I realized I wouldn't do it unless I could capture this kind of atmosphere and thus you see why I haven't advertised my completed fantasy novel. :p

Mego Thor

Neo Member
I never played The Two Towers but I remember Return of the King was pretty sweet especially with a buddy. There was one level that was particularly awesome but I cannot remember which one it was.

The last level of The Two Towers, where you are trying to keep the forces of Saruman out of Helm's Deep, was very difficult, no matter which character you picked.

kess

My favorite Tolkien of all is everything from meeting up with Fatty at Frodo's supposed "new home" to the rush to the hedge, the old forest, and then the Barrow Downs. As you said, the atmosphere is very creepy, very unsettling. We're seeing a very eldritch type of horror here, something very old and unknown to even some of the wisest locals.

When I decided to write my own fantasy novel a few years ago, I realized I wouldn't do it unless I could capture this kind of atmosphere and thus you see why I haven't advertised my completed fantasy novel. :p

Yeah, but the unexpected appearance of Bombadil makes it perfect. And let's not forget Goldberry, either.

hunnies28

The part of the Barrow-wights confused me a lot when I was a kid. I tend to re read that bit more.

Regarding games, I still remember being very conflicted in choosing 1080° or Return of the King a birthday present.

Anyone else played this game ?

Also, I'm super late to this OT :(

Jacob

Anyone else played this game ?

I bought a used copy of this on the cheap after having enjoyed and finished the movie games of TTT and ROTK. I got stung to death by a bumblebee in the first level while trying to deliver the deed to Bag End to Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. Gave up on the game then and there.

hunnies28

I bought a used copy of this on the cheap after having enjoyed and finished the movie games of TTT and ROTK. I got stung to death by a bumblebee in the first level while trying to deliver the deed to Bag End to Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. Gave up on the game then and there.

I remember getting to the point where Strider joins your party, then got my ass kicked by some wolves and then left the game for ever.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Speaking of videogames; they do seem like the most likely direction for the Middle-earth franchise going forward. Film and book rights as they are, developers of future games set in Middle-earth have a certain amount of leeway in terms of what they can include and invent, as Shadow of Mordor demonstrates.

Ruruja

I have heard that is good but I'm not really into multiplayer. I may as well give it a go if it's gone free-to-play though.

If it helps you can pretty much solo the entire game. It's really great to run around the Shire, Bree, Rivendell etc - the music is great in it too.

Niahak

A Mount & Blade style game would be nice

It's unofficial (and you might indeed have played it), but The Last Days is a really nice M&B mod that takes place during the War of the Ring. They updated it to support Warband recently, but it's been around for around a decade. (I wonder if the project lead who went missing ever turned up...)

Best Middle Earth game I've played by far (not that I've played many of the ones discussed here). Put easily a couple hundred hours into it. It's pretty much my dream LOTR game, so I'm glad that it happened.

/edit: Although you may be looking for a less crazy-pressured feel - one of the things I don't like about The Last Days is how absolutely essential your work on the war-effort is.

Ixion

I still want an actual free roaming Middle-Earth eventually. I know there's the MMO but it takes literally days to move from one area to the next.

A Mount & Blade style game would be nice, but frankly the canceled White Council game was what I was hoping would eventually arrive on our shores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_White_Council

Yeah, we still need a proper single-player open-world Middle-Earth game that features a large section of the realm and allows for more customizable characters (Elf, Ranger, Hobbit, etc). An MMO is a completely different feel than a game like Elder Scolls, for example.

The White Council was indeed that exact kind of game. I used to be active on the White Council forums back in the day. Can't believe that was eight years ago...

terrisus

I still want an actual free roaming Middle-Earth eventually. I know there's the MMO but it takes literally days to move from one area to the next.

Well, I mean... Middle-earth is big :þ

If it helps you can pretty much solo the entire game. It's really great to run around the Shire, Bree, Rivendell etc - the music is great in it too.

Yeah, I tend to basically solo most MMORPGs that I play/have played.

And, indeed, the experience of being able to really explore Middle-earth is something that no other game can give.
It's pretty great, and while I didn't play it as much as I should have, I wish it had caught on more.

I'm actually kinda disappointed that Creative Assembly is doing a Warhammer Total War game instead of a Lord of the Rings one. I"d much prefer the latter.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
A question to all Tolkien readers; are there any particular aspects of Tolkien's writings that appeal to you above others? For example, the mythos itself, his prose, the oft descriptive nature of his writing, the characters, the languages, the integration of other myths?

Edmond Dantès;155782441 said:
A question to all Tolkien readers; are there any particular aspects of Tolkien's writings that appeal to you above others? For example, the mythos itself, his prose, the oft descriptive nature of his writing, the characters, the languages, the integration of other myths?

Above all else, the quaintness and charm of Hobbits.

But more broadly speaking, it's the sense of the larger mythos that gives historical texture beyond the story we're currently "in." Tolkien says in Letters that "a part of the fascination consists in the vistas of yet more legend and history, to which this work does not contain a full clue." It's actually one of the same reasons I find Dark Souls so compelling.

And of course the language is always exquisite.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Above all else, the quaintness and charm of Hobbits.

But more broadly speaking, it's the sense of the larger mythos that gives historical texture beyond the story we're currently "in." Tolkien says in Letters that "a part of the fascination consists in the vistas of yet more legend and history, to which this work does not contain a full clue." It's actually one of the same reasons I find Dark Souls so compelling.

And of course the language is always exquisite.
Yes, the hobbits are rather endearing and for many readers they act as the first introduction to Middle-earth and through them they explore the land and its people.

terrisus

Edmond Dantès;155782441 said:

For me, I mainly love the sense of adventure and exploring and discovery.
Which, with Tolkien's marvelous way of describing things, is always a joy.

I can just lose myself in an adventure there, and not be thinking about anything else for a while.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like the "mythic" quality of his writing. He has a good sense for grandiosity. The Tale of Beren and Luthien is, at its most basic, just another star-crossed lovers story, but in his hands it feels like something really special.

fallout

I think that the depth of the history of the world and its races, languages, etc. has always been what has appealed to me about Tolkien's Middle Earth works. Reading LOTR in high school was the first time reading a book where I really felt like I was exploring a different world.

This might be rather heretical to say here, but the stories themselves and his writing style have never been that special to me. Not to say that I find them to be a detriment, but they certainly aren't the reasons why I keep coming back.

bengraven

I like the mysteries of the world.

This feeling of an old world that's itself almost a haunting ghost layered upon the real world. I regret having read the Silmarillion I think and knowing most of the history. It would have been great to have a few big Children of Hurin like books while keeping other parts still a mystery - like the fall of Numenor.

Just reading Fellowship of the Ring, I'm amazed at how real Tolkien's world is. Even when describing the mayorship of Hobbiton and the roles of the local constables, you just get this feeling that this place is a plane ride away.

Also, I am having the hardest time not quoting the dialogue in the style of the movie. Especially because dialogue in one place in the book, is in a different place in the film. Some words are taken out, and some are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom