• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TotalBiscuit asks ESRB to consider microtransactions in its criteria

PMS341

Did you think about this statement before you posted it? Because from this, a bunch of games would just disappear, and that many more would never, ever, ever get made.

If they never, ever, ever get made because they canned the game instead of releasing it filled with stamina bars, lootboxes, pay-to-win, microtransactions, excess DLC and add-ons, then I think something positive has happened here.

LordRaptor

Yep thanks, does that mean that everyone elses opinion doesn't count? Again, what is hilarious?

That you're telling someone who makes super small in scope games and is highly successful in doing so - and who is self-aware enough of how lucky they are to be super successful doing so, because they see the road they travelled littered with the corpses of everyone who didn't make it - how to reduce their scope and be successful?

PMS341

As a consumer your choice is, ultimately, going to be:

1) Suck it up and accept microtransactions

2)Pay far more for the base game than you're used to

3)Say goodbye to AAA titles and accept that games will be shorter/smaller or less impressive.

Because the costs of production are only going up and up.* FWIW paying more to get a complete game is preferable to me, but probably not most of the population

*option 4, try and convince yourselves you can have everything and that game developers are greedy.

Option 5, CEOs of EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. all take paycuts, stop focusing on shareholders, and put that money directly into development. Cut marketing costs. If the costs of production are going up and up, maybe the bosses need to make less money?

Making a game M-Rated just for having lootboxes? I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that. This sounds like a suggestion based around concerns of "gambling" but is just a cover with the actual motive being people want lootboxes gone and they know a lot of games would avoid an M rating.

Tho it seems like a lot of people don't care, they just want them gone. Guess you're all cool with $100 games then, right? Games have become too expensive for the $60 price tag, companies have to do something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHSso2vufPM

First of all, fuck loot boxes. With that out of the way, a serious question:

How are loot boxes different from a package of pokemon cards? Is it the digital aspect?

Man all these corporate shills over here does anyone have any sources that all these million dollar companies who are selling millions of copies ranging from 60-100 were losing money??

also why do they refuse to just let us justt buy the item its because why let you pay for something once when they can charge you mutpile times for it even tho they were already making money from dlc its pure greed!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
As someone who lived through Jack Thompson's attack on video games, you fools willingly want THIS US Government to set their sights on video games? That is fucking madness.

Edit: As someone who sells hundreds of dollars of PSN/XB1/Steam/Shark Cash cards each day to parents, I'm willing to bet a lot more of them know exactly what their kids are buying and are okay with it than we think. Why? Because to them, it's $20 every now and again to buy DLC versus $60 more often to buy a whole new game their kids blasts through in a week.

A lot of parents are clueless, but a lot are not.

Being rated M doesn't stop anything so if they want to throw it in there, go for it.

inner-G

Banned
Sounds like a sensible plan to me

Making the loot boxes not randomized would fix it, but also keep people from pumping in as much money a.k.a. Gambling or gatcha

WHM-6R

Neo Member
As a consumer your choice is, ultimately, going to be:

1) Suck it up and accept microtransactions

2)Pay far more for the base game than you're used to

3)Say goodbye to AAA titles and accept that games will be shorter/smaller or less impressive.

Because the costs of production are only going up and up.* FWIW paying more to get a complete game is preferable to me, but probably not most of the population

Also I'd agree that I'd trade a higher sticker price to avoid Microtrans gating of content.

*option 4, try and convince yourselves you can have everything and that game developers are greedy.

This pretty much sums it up. Though I'd sub in publishers in place of developers in option 4.

Also to say goodbye to any of the publishers trying to innovate or take risks with AAA games as larger and larger budgets scare them out of it.

LordRaptor

Man all these corporate shills over here does anyone have any sources that all these million dollar companies who are selling millions of copies ranging from 60-100 were losing money??

- game production costs more than double generation to generation
- game sticker price remained the same from last generation to this generation
- fewer games are being made, so each game has to earn more to pull the weight of games not being made that obviously cant be sold
- huge publishers bailing the fuck out completely
- multiple studio closures over the last decade, including studios that had been around since pretty much the beginning of the industry

These would all suggest that there is something broken.

On the flipside, the evidence presented that publishers are just greedy is... people saying that that is so.

Spuck-uk

Banned
This pretty much sums it up. Though I'd sub in publishers in place of developers in option 4.

Also to say goodbye to any of the publishers trying to innovate or take risks with AAA games as larger and larger budgets scare them out of it.

To be fair publishers ARE greedy, but thats kinda the point of their business.

Also more people need to learn what the difference between developers and publishers is.

- fewer games are being made, so each game has to earn more to pull the weight of games not being made that obviously cant be sold
- multiple studio closures over the last decade, including studios that had been around since pretty much the beginning of the industry

On the flipside, the evidence presented that publishers are just greedy is... people saying that that is so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHSso2vufPM

inner-G

Banned

Maybe they should develop games on lower budgets? Everyone chasing that AAA market. In the previous generations, many publishers thrived in the b-tier of production value.

Zarth

That video is so out of context. He says you aren't getting the full experience for $60.

He mentions nothing about expansion packs. Just dives right into Season Passes/monumental DLC.

Says nothing about what "full" means or what $60 gets you in terms of hours and entertainment today vs 10, 20, 30 years ago.

I lost my respect for him there. Sure publishers may want to make money but my $ per hour on games has gone down over the years.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Maybe they should develop games on lower budgets? Everyone chasing that AAA market. In the previous generations, many publishers thrived in the b-tier of production value.

And then everyone immediately calls the bigger developers lazy and/or greedy.

The circle of life.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It’s not really different at all. In a lot of cases loot boxes are actually more tame because they are just cosmetic things, and you can buy them with in-game currency. It’s just the flavor of the week thing for people to be mad about, and gamers are grasping at straws trying to figure out how to make publishers stop shoving this stuff in their faces. The real answer is the same as it has always been: don’t buy them and give feedback saying how much you hate it.

things like FIFA cards are not cosmetic though. They're pretty much pay to win. Buy enough expensive cards and you get better players

This is the first time I have ever seen a genuine and decent argument/solution brought up against the monetization of video games in this way.

I applaud him for it and I wish more journalist, vloggers and the community would take up real discussions around the issue with real solutions that don't devolve into "I am whining because I don't like thing"

benzopil

I like how people talk about cutting marketing costs like they have any idea how this works.

Btw is Jim some kind of industry insider or what? I thought he's a journalist and entertainer, but people believe everything he says

benzopil

Hellblade's proof that AAA can be done on a budget, without a $60 price tag, and without fucking over your consumers with microtransactions.

Owners: 184,185 ± 12,583
Players total: 170,242 ± 12,098 (92.43%)

I'm sure Activision/EA/WB would kill to see these numbers!

Zarth

Hellblade's proof that AAA can be done on a budget, without a $60 price tag, and without fucking over your consumers with microtransactions.

Hellblade was really cool and all but it is also only a few hours long and very gameplay lite.

I'm not sure what AAA games you'd really make the comparison to but I definitely want more options and I doubt it woulda been $30 if they made it 5 times longer.

It definitely had AAA level production values though.

WHM-6R

Neo Member
I like how people talk about cutting marketing costs like they have any idea how this works.

Btw is Jim some kind of industry insider or what? I thought he's a journalist and entertainer, but people believe everything he says

Even when its factually incorrect, pointed out to him as such and he basically states he doesn't care about presenting correct information at all.

IDK if Lootboxes constitute gambling though. Gambling, you get something monetary in return. Something you can sell at least. In Overwatch, you can get random costumes, but you can't sell them back to someone. In some games I think you can, and maybe that should be discussed.

Haven't we been doing stuff like this for ages too, with Pokemon/Yugioh booster packs?

IDK. I just think there is some grey territory. I would like to see a study that measures reactions to these things, especially with kids, to real gambling. If they find a real correlation, the whole thing should be regulated. Pokemon cards and all, TBH. Kids shouldn't develop gambling habits at a young age. Depending on the results, it should constitute an AO rating, and be illegal in states where gambling is.

However, I feel like the lack of a real monetary incentive, really chances the picture. People ruin their lives because they think they can change everything by making it big, or they find themselves in a hole because they need do recoup their losses. Gambling is a cyclical, predatory, addictive, and fraudulent type of thing. Lootboxes just don't seem that bad.

Again, I'd like to see some type of study on this. If it turns out to be a little like gambling, it should at least not be in kids games. Make it rated T. Or M. Just not E.

Typical

Banned
I was suprised to see that the loot box principle has moved over to children's toys which is pretty shitty.

Maybe it's the other way round but first time I've seen it in kids toys specifically Disney's trolls toys.

Basically you buy packs (blind bags) with random troll dolls, rare ones which kids want are extremely rare so parents have to keep buying packs untill they find the ones wanted.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073YH1X9M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Personally I would like to see loot boxes banned outright, despicable practice.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

You really fell for the Hellblade marketing didn't you?

I was suprised to see that the loot box principle has moved over to children's toys which is pretty shifty.

Maybe it's the other way round but first time I've seen it in kids toys specially disneys trolls toys.

Basically you buy packs (blind bags) with random troll dolls, rare ones which kids want are extremely rare so parents have to keep buying packs untill they find the ones wanted.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073YH1X9M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Personally I would like to see loot boxes banned outright, despicable practice.

Trading cards have existed for an ETERNITY. So, seeing it moved to other thing is NOT surprising.

HOWEVER, it can be nipped in the bud. Parents can stop this immediately by not spending money on it. Parents, in that situation, can recognize the scheme and simply not buy in. They can also educate their kids on it and move towards better toys.

At this point, we are simply caught up in our own out of control, rampant consumerism and have extended it to our children.

Nyoro SF

I support this move, but I'm not sure if the ESRB will be able to enforce such a rule. I can see companies exploiting loopholes. And since parents have no problem buying GTA for their 8 year old kids, I don't think a gambling warning on the rating will stop them either.

Zarth

Which is exactly the same as Pokémon or Magic. And it's certainly not gambling since when you put money into the system you actually get something in return. It might not be what you were hoping for, but it's not nothing.

This is why it is unlikely video games will ever get the gambling treatment.

Magic has gone through this for years and gets away with it because gambling requires you to bet for something of value with something of value.

The easy argument is to acknowledge that all the rewards are equal value and equally worthless.

WoTC has managed to keep this on the d/l by not acknowledging secondary markets so as far as they are concerned all cards are worth the cost of making the card. Since you're always opening a pack for the same price and getting the same # of cards you get the same thing no matter what those cards are.

For video games many of the rewards cannot be traded and therefore cannot hold value. In addition you technically do not own your data so you're not really getting anything.

MJLord

I support this move, but I'm not sure if the ESRB will be able to enforce such a rule. I can see companies exploiting loopholes. And since parents have no problem buying GTA for their 8 year old kids, I don't think a gambling warning on the rating will stop them either.

A change in the ESRB rating will absolutely factor into how publishers push for the loot box mechanic in games.

I don't think it needs to go further than age ratings tbh. You can't worry about people who discard the guidelines and buy their children GTA. Why should we coddle people like that?

In a world where parents happily buy GTA and other 17+ games to their kids, I honestly don't see what would be the point of that... not to mention many of the games with such microtransactions are already rated Mature.

Fifa and forza are rated mature?

LordRaptor

Maybe all those B-tier studios getting shut down last generation says something about the state of the console gaming market in and of itself?

MJLord

Why should we coddle people who leave their credit card info saved on their console or give their children free reign to buy whatever they want?

Like, I get it, guys. Loot boxes suck. I hate them, I can’t think of a case where I’ve ever bought them (outside of Hearthstone packs) and don’t see myself doing it in the future. But TB’s solution to this is dumbshit. I think he has some shitty opinions and a largely reprehensible worldview, but he’s an intelligent person in general. I would think he would be smarter than to come up with this idiotic approach to things.

All major consoles have account settings and other parental controls for the better part of a decade now.

Hellblade was really cool and all but it is also only a few hours long and very gameplay lite.

I'm not sure what AAA games you'd really make the comparison to but I definitely want more options and I doubt it woulda been $30 if they made it 5 times longer.

It definitely had AAA level production values though.

Hellblade was specifically designed as AA experience. To prove that there was still room for that middle tier production. It is not AAA. Whatever any of these terms mean anymore.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
I don't see a problem. Also tax it and regulate it like regular gambling aswell.

Yes. This!

Would be interesting to see Pubs reconsider it and perhaps curb how it's going into most games...

Interesting when he talks about the dopamine release you get when opening a crate. Pretty sure every gambling addict can relate. Also the 'next crate will be better' mentality that goes hand in hand with an addict...

mlclmtckr

Banned
Option 5, CEOs of EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. all take paycuts, stop focusing on shareholders, and put that money directly into development. Cut marketing costs. If the costs of production are going up and up, maybe the bosses need to make less money?

i too am not a fan of capitalism but let's be realistic here

jackal27

Banned
This is actually a pretty solid idea. Microtransactions shouldn't be in $60 games in the first place, but they also shouldn't be in the hands of children who don't understand the power of persuasion or the responsibility of money.

MJLord

Yes, I understand that. If we are suggesting that ESRB rating descriptiors are needed for loot boxes because children are buying them without their parents’ knowledge, then that means their parents are not using those parental controls. And if they’re not bothering to use the built-in controls that have been there for a long time, how is putting a line on a box pointing out that the game has microtransactions going to change anything?

Again, this was absolutely not thought through by TB.

If loot box mechanics suddenly put the age rating of a game up then publishers audiences shrink. Some racing games don't deform the car beyond a certain point(I can't remember the criteria) because if they did the age rating would go up and their audience shrinks.

Using existing ESRB ratings and the parental controls in place already is a realistic response that can be implemented in the framework of the industry right now. Frankly I don't think it needs to go further than that either.

LordRaptor

Again, this was absolutely not thought through by TB.

People aren't up in arms about this because they legitimately give a shit about children - thats just convenient padding for their fairly weak 'I don't like it' argument.

They're all in favour of this because it would be an additional inconvenience for publishers that they hope will stop them adding lootboxes in future.

Top Bottom