• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TouchSense, a haptic technology, will be implemented in the Switch's touchscreen

Cuburt

If i would have to guess there is infact an IR LED, the thing is it's probably inside the R Joycon with the IR Image Sensor Itself. It has to bath the target with infrared light for the proximity and image sensor to have a clean image instead of relying on the location's ambient lighting conditions.

So depending of the range that the R Joycon emits IR Light, one culd achieve similar Wii Remote Point Functionality with some IR reflective markers. Another solution (maybe) is to have the Joycon set on or attached to a surface with some guides with the IR sensor facing your hand/fingers and use it to track the hand motion as it moves near the surface. The program or game would have a UI pointer on the TV shadowing the hand movements. Just some possibilites, not necesarily that it would happen.

Interesting ideas but all sound too complex or not available in all configurations. Gyros seem like the simplest answer, especially since it would seem there is no IR camera in the Pro controller.

THIS must be the feature the Senran Kagura developer was talking about.

Oh good lord, the next SK game on Switch is gonna be lewd as fuck

This might be a hard thing to communicate on launch day.

Interesting how many smaller directs they will have in the lead up to launch. Maybe another features one including this tech, the Fire Emblem one... Interesting days ahead.

Noitshado

Because all the bitching about battery life wasn't irritating enough? You guys are being really unreasonable. :/

Should have put that money into more GFLOPS and bigger battery and cooling solution. /s Hows that then? I mean these maybe nonissues to you but to some they might be so.

I think they went this route since the positioning as a mobile device people seem to notice cool interfaces and usage tech than raw power. The battery life and recharge time though.... WTH. I can only forsee a Switch Pro or XL deluxe during Christmas or something like that with a larger battery and larger screen that doesn't add to the depth of the unit so you can still use the existing docks. Either that or there is still extra space in the unit for a slightly larger battery.

Haptics might be cool not gonna lie. Its just up to them to show if they are compelling enough to have them in the first place.

Oresama

I'm clueless as to how this would work irl.

Can someone explain how this would work/feel?

Is it like the little rumbles I feel when I press icons on my cell phone screen? Is that what this haptic thing does?

Schnozberry

I'm clueless as to how this would work irl.

Can someone explain how this would work/feel?

Is it like the little rumbles I feel when I press icons on my cell phone screen? Is that what this haptic thing does?

It depends on if Nintendo has a haptic engine behind the screen, and what Nintendo has licensed immersion tech to do. If it does involve the screen, then it uses the haptic engine behind the screen to simulate the feelings of texture and pressure through sophisticated vibration techniques. It's pretty neat stuff. It could also be related to the HD Rumble in the joycons. Immersion tech owns a range of IP for different types of haptic feedback.

AmyS

Wait WAT? This sounds seriously cool.

Please explain what this tech actually does and can do for games.

Nintendo didn't mention anything screen related, not the technology nor the software

We know Super Mario Maker will be on Switch one way so Nintendo might be holding the screen info to market the core feature of the Switch and avoid over complicating the message.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I can't wait for 3rd of March and the thread "WTF! My Switch doesn't have haptic touchscreen, is it broken?".

zoukka

Not buying it. The touch screen is not the primary input method so why would nintendo implement fancy haptic tech to it?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
It might not be that big as I doubt there will be many touch screen specific games and if there are they'd have to be playable when docked so would've have to work with the joycons too.

Wonder if there are stipulations that companies have to make a game that runs and works well both docked and on tv or if some games can be handheld-centric.

That's gonna be a development/testing overhead not seen before eh.

Tripy73

No Vibrator mention on the Nintendo Switch patent:

15178984-30a6sfd.png

azyless

I wouldn't see the point of advanced touchscreen tech when the whole point of the console is you can put it in the dock. If that's it then it's just jacking up the price for nothing.

I don't get it. The touchscreen wouldnt work when you're playing in docked mode.. Isn't that why we haven't seen any game use the touchscreen? I thought it would only be used for UI purposes?

vareon

I don't get it. The touchscreen wouldnt work when you're playing in docked mode.. Isn't that why we haven't seen any game use the touchscreen? I thought it would only be used for UI purposes?

Maybe some time later, Nintendo would introduce touch-only games (like port of small mobile games) to Switch. As for today they seem hell-bent on delivering the message that Switch will support multiple modes of play.

Maybe some time later, Nintendo would introduce touch-only games (like port of small mobile games) to Switch. As for today they seem hell-bent on delivering the message that Switch will support multiple modes of play.

I think they really want to push that the Switch is a home console you can play on the go, vs a portable that can be docked and so are focusing on the full fat console games right now.

I hope they won't stop people from making games that use the touch screen.

ajjow

After reading everything calmly, I think this thread should be blocked.

The information on the First Post IS WRONG.

It sounds like PR, but that information is not official. Thread should be locked!

Could make Nintendogs quite interesting. I think something like this could make the switch very attractive for kids. Imagine books for children in which the pages give you haptic feedback.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo havnt said there won't be tablet specific games.

I think you should quote the official PR in the OP and not the interpretation of that article.

You are practically misinforming at this point after all the discussion by not updating the OP.

And if you think better about it, this is not helping Nintendo in any way. If the touch screen is bullshit any negative feedback to that would be because of this thread.

Luigiv

15178984-30a6sfd.png

But it does mention an accelerometer, gyroscope and magnetometer. Interesting. That means with Joycons attached you have 3 redundant sets of motion sensors in the "one" device. Must be super accurate, lol.

15178984-30a6sfd.png

For the record, there have been quite a few changes from the patent application. It was also filed in June 2015 in Japan, so I'd expect a substantial amount of changes actually.

I think you should quote the official PR in the OP and not the interpretation of that article.

You are practically misinforming at this point after all the discussion by not updating the OP.

And if you think better about it, this is not helping Nintendo in any way. If the touch screen is bullshit any negative feedback to that would be because of this thread.

We now have IGN reporting the same thing, so even if it turns out not to be true it's certainly worthwhile to have a thread discussing this. Maybe a disclaimer in the OP about how this might be a misunderstanding could help?

Top Bottom