• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TouchSense, a haptic technology, will be implemented in the Switch's touchscreen

ASIS

I'm all for more haptic feedback. But there is enough evidence to suggest that this is just HD rumble. I hope its more than that though.

Would rather that cost go into the graphics card.

The speculated SoC is apparently the best Nintendo could pack into a device of this form factor (even the Shield TV throttles to the Switch's clock speeds), so it really looks like they haven't skimped on anything on the hardware side here.

Now, they could easily have a more powerful console with a different form factor (stationary console for instance) but that's a different complaint.

Sami+

Not sure what more can be done in a device this small without breaking its portability. Or are you just trolling?

They opted for an older mobile Nvidia card over the more power-efficient newer model didn't they? That.

Or they could have cut this and made it cheaper.

Best case scenario would have been to cut the silly gimmicks entirely and just make a really cheap normal console (OG XB1 power at least) but eh.

They opted for an older mobile Nvidia card over the more power-efficient newer model didn't they? That.

The brand new Shield TV is based on the exact same SoC apparently and the older Shield TV at least throttles down its clocks to those of the Switch's level.

So no, there is no new card they could have used. This is almost certainly the most powerful console they could possibly have made with the given form factor (with any sort of battery life).

Spinluck

Is there a device with a similar form factor with the same capabilities? For what they were trying to build I think they went with the best tech available.

Cuburt

it's just the HD rumble, is how I'm reading it.

The Switch patents don't show rumble in the Switch, only the Joycon.

I guess that HD Rumble might be used for the touchscreen when in portable mode, but it likely won't be a large part of gaming. I mean, it seems touchscreen will mostly be for UI, but I still could see smartphone games come to the system. Even then, the Joycon will need to be attached, meaning it can have haptics with just the tablet.

tr00per

Great news! I was hoping they would implement something like this. They should have mentioned this too. I assume no playable demos had this in their current builds?

Edit : or an even more disturbing thought, the demo units weren't using the final screen..?

CronoShot

Best case scenario would have been to cut the silly gimmicks entirely and just make a really cheap normal console (OG XB1 power at least) but eh.
There is no newer model yet. Even the brand new Shield console just announced still uses the Tegra X1.

Anyway, I'm betting this has to do with HD rumble. I know people like to point out the mention of touch based controls, but rumble itself is based on the sensation of touch (and apparently has gameplay applications, like that marble demo everyone is talking about). It's not the best wording, but it makes sense.

There is no new model. The Drive PX(Parker) is designed for AI/Computer Vision in self-driving cars. Xavier(nVidia's new SoC likely for mobile devices) won't be ready for mass production until next year at the earliest.

Dremorak

Banned

How would making another xbone help nintendo in any way?? They MIGHT get some ports?? Like steep, NBA and Fifa? Well, they are getting those, and also having a unique position with something that makes them different from the competition. This is nintendo's wheelhouse. If they try to go toe-to-toe with ps4 and xbone, the VERY best they could do is reach xbone levels of success (which isnt great).

Hoo-doo

Banned
We all realize that 'touch' is also how we feel vibration, right?

Is there any solid evidence that this is about the display as of right now?

it's just the HD rumble, is how I'm reading it.

The Switch patents don't show rumble in the Switch, only the Joycon.

I guess that HD Rumble might be used for the touchscreen when in portable mode, but it likely won't be a large part of gaming. I mean, it seems touchscreen will mostly be for UI, but I still could see smartphone games come to the system. Even then, the Joycon will need to be attached, meaning it can have haptics with just the tablet.

This has been floating around for a while
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ould_hint_at_full_touchscreen_interface_on_nx

spekkeh

Banned
The reason that patent has the rumbling on the sides is because the rumble is in the joycons. This is simply the HD rumble.

We all realize that 'touch' is also how we feel vibration, right?

Is there any solid evidence that this is about the display as of right now?

No evidence either way, really. Nothing is linking Touchsense to HD rumble and nothing is suggesting that it's touchscreen haptics.

Nintendo disclosing that the screen is a capacitive touch screen but not showing a single application which uses a touchscreen could suggest that they're holding back a bit more info about the screen. Or maybe not.

It's too early to call this one either way I'd say.

_Ryo_

Shouldn't they have at least demoed this feature to add interest in the product? or even have announced it during the presentation ?

Cuburt

Yes, I remember that. I'm referring to the Switch patents, which show the tech actually included in the hardware. Perhaps, what is in the patents aren't what is in the final device, but there hasn't been any change thus far.

It shows no rumble in the core system, but oddly enough motion sensors. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1325344

I just wrote Immersion an e-mail. Maybe they can provide me an clear answer. This is all to confusing and we will never know for what the tech is used, if nobody who works on or with it answers the question.

Yes, I remember that. I'm referring to the Switch patents, which show the tech actually included in the hardware. Perhaps, what is in the patents aren't what is in the final device, but there hasn't been any change thus far.

It shows no rumble in the core system, but oddly enough motion sensors. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1325344

There are quite a few differences between the patent application and the device we've seen. Most obviously the kickstand and placement of the SD card slot. The patent was filed in the US in June 2016 but in Japan it was June 2015, so I'm sure there have been a number of changes.

oti

Banned

As cool as that tech may be I can understand companies not implementing stuff like this because A) nobody asks for this really and how many developers would even use that for their apps and B) the cheap tablet market is so crowded that the margins must be razor thin. Adding this makes otherwise dirt cheap touchscreens not so cheap anymore, which means a higher price overall.

Nintendo of course isn't positioning Switch as a cheap Android tablet to who knows.

Probably not related but did we ever find out what the multi million dollar purchase made by Nintendo a few years ago was about? I think they purchased a company, right? It might have been for QoL but could have had to do with rumble hardware maybe?

I'm assuming this is completely 100% about "HD rumble" for a few reasons. First, it makes sense given people's impressions of how the rumble feels. Touchscreen haptics are designed to make you feel like you're interacting with physical controls even though you're not, and when it works it's eerily similar. Given what people have said about the marble box game and Nintendo's comments about "being able to feel the number of ice cubes/water pouring into a cup," it just sounds like the same haptic technology driven by the motion controls instead of a touchscreen.

Second, I really don't think the touchscreen is going to be a major component of the Switch. It's designed at least in part to sit in a dock, meaning you get no touchscreen controls when it's connected to a TV. And I still don't see Nintendo making games that require you to play the Switch undocked; even 1 2 Switch, which doesn't even need a screen at all, can be played while docked. If the touchscreen isn't supposed to be a primary control interface, then, why bother making it haptic? Players wouldn't expect it and developers probably wouldn't make use of it.

That said, I don't know how much it would cost to also make the touchscreen haptic. If it's pennies to include the parts, maybe Nintendo did it just for kicks, so that UI button presses on the screen would pop a bit more. It would also explain why they don't seem to care about telling people about it.

alexbull_uk

If this does exist, does it mean I'll be able to pet my Pokemon in Stars and like, feel their scales and stuff?

That sounds cool if so.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This should also confirm mobile games will be coming? Mobile game ports anyway that will still use the touch screen.

Fat4all

Banned
I'm guessing they would want to talk about mobile/smartphone like games at a later date to sort of separate it from the main reveal talk.

Mokujin

Is this for real or just speculation? Seems sooooo weird that this has not been mentioned at all in the presentation...

Truth to be told it was very weird that they didn't mention basic touchscreen features, or that no game in the live demos had any touchscreen enabled features.

RRockman

Banned
hype.png

Justin Bailey

------ ------
I think Nintendo didn't mention this in their presentation because there is nothing to show off with it yet. They don't like to talk about tech bullet-point style, they like to show things. They didn't even mention the specs in the presentation IIRC.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who doesn't have a newer iphone or anything, can anyone explain to me what TouchSense or similar mechanics actually does that goes further than standard "vibrate on click", and how it "feels like a button"? I can't imagine alternative haptic feedback for screens at all lol, please educate me.

Top Bottom