• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TouchSense, a haptic technology, will be implemented in the Switch's touchscreen

ajjow

TouchSense technology makes touchscreen controls come alive, giving users the sense that they are touching physical buttons. It can be expected that when Switch developers gain greater control over touchscreen development with TouchSense technology, gameplay experiences on the Switch will become more refined and imersive.

People here like the post-truth Donald Trump crazy way of distorting simple ideas. They clearly say TOUCHSCREEN.

Since when the HD Rumble is touch screen?! If they are using the joy-cons for creating hapitics, I don't care. The thing is if this feels good. The Switch has a touch screen with hapitics. If it feels good, only time will tell.

Iacobellis

The Switch is reminding me so much of the PS3. Extra hardware features that likely make the price higher, but then some backwards moves (digital triggers/lack of rumble for example).

Assuming this isn't some weird interpretation of the HD rumble, why is Nintendo hiding this? Are they trying to shy away from touchscreen games because they won't be available when docked?

ggx2ac

I think Nintendo didn't mention this in their presentation because there is nothing to show off with it yet. They don't like to talk about tech bullet-point style, they like to show things. They didn't even mention the specs in the presentation IIRC.

I was thinking Nintendo didn't want to show any touch screen games because it would probably make people think of the Wii U Gamepad so they just made the HD Rumble the focus for now.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Given that docked mode pretty much negates the option of touchscreen control for anything other than menu navigation in handheld mode, this is most likely HD rumble in the joycons.

AgeEighty

Given that docked mode pretty much negates the option of touchscreen control for anything other than menu navigation in handheld mode, this is most likely HD rumble in the joycons.

It very specifically says "touchscreen".

And actually, HD rumble is probably exactly what gets employed for those same features when the Switch is docked.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

And actually, HD rumble is probably exactly what gets employed for those same features when the Switch is docked.

But how would they be implementing this into the console AFTER the fact? Isn't this tech (when relating specifically to the touchscreen) something that needs to be there from day one? It's a hardware feature activated via software isn't it?

brad-t

But how would they be implementing this into the console AFTER the fact? Isn't this tech (when relating specifically to the touchscreen) something that needs to be there from day one? It's a hardware feature activated via software isn't it?

What gives you the impression it will be implemented post-launch?

I'm confused, what about this is indicating that it's not part of the current hardware? It's more likely that Nintendo just hasn't talked about this yet (if true) just like they haven't talked about what the touchscreen is for in general.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
What gives you the impression it will be implemented post-launch?

I'm confused, what about this is indicating that it's not part of the current hardware? It's more likely that Nintendo just hasn't talked about this yet (if true) just like they haven't talked about what the touchscreen is for in general.

The way the original Business Insider article is worded makes it sound like it will come. Not like it's there now.

pulsemyne

I think Nintendo didn't mention this in their presentation because there is nothing to show off with it yet. They don't like to talk about tech bullet-point style, they like to show things. They didn't even mention the specs in the presentation IIRC.

I think this is the case. I also think they wanted to put the emphasis on the Joy cons and make sure people learned all about them and their features. They mentioned very little about the touchscreen so they may well talk about that at another time. If it does have a haptic feedback touchscreen then nintendo really have pushed the boat out on the machine.
Also it could have been a late addition to the console and Immersion may not have finished the drivers and development software for it yet.

ItIsOkBro

TouchSense technology makes touchscreen controls come alive, giving users the sense that they are touching physical buttons. It can be expected that when Switch developers gain greater control over touchscreen development with TouchSense technology, gameplay experiences on the Switch will become more refined and imersive.

People here like the post-truth Donald Trump crazy way of distorting simple ideas. They clearly say TOUCHSCREEN.

Since when the HD Rumble is touch screen?! If they are using the joy-cons for creating hapitics, I don't care. The thing is if this feels good. The Switch has a touch screen with hapitics. If it feels good, only time will tell.

First rule of this post-truth society: always go to the original source (where touchscreen is not mentioned).

koss424

Creates further disparity in functionality between docked mode and handheld mode, though.

I don't think that's a problem. If game is developed for this technology it's obviously meant to be played in tablet mode. It's not like there are skus out there without this capability.

Rvaisse

Is this the same haptic feedback as on android phones where you type on keyboard it vibrates there?

somehow, it's more like apple taptic engine on iphone 7 face button or the apple watch.
The Main difference in Sense Tech is that there are multiples taptic engines placed around the screen (in the joycons from what we know so far) that can work in harmony for improved haptic feedback.

Neoxon

To be fair, the IR Camera could simulate touch controls while the Switch is docked without the need of a sensor bar.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Funny enough, the post truth society never checks the source of the information and takes an article that provides a version of a story that fits one's opinion at its face value.

The touchscreen mentioned in the article is just the interpretation of the author of the article and it's not even once mentioned in the press release from Immersion.

Cuburt

To be fair, the IR Camera could simulate touch controls while the Switch is docked without the need of a sensor bar.
Not really, since there appears to be no IR LED. The IR camera doesn't seem to be used for pointing but for rudimentary imaging sensing and promimity sensing. If anything controls an on-screen pointer to take place of a touchscreen, I'd guess they'd just use the gyros in the Joycon, especially since impressions have made them sound more precise than the Wii remote.

RRockman

Banned
Funny enough, the post truth society never checks the source of the information and takes an article that provides a version of a story that fits one's opinion at its face value.

The touchscreen mentioned in the article is just the interpretation of the author of the article and it's not even once mentioned in the press release from Immersion.

Isnt this their website? if so, why would they link to the business wide article with the allegedly incorrect information?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
The quotes in the article don't say anything about touchscreen, so I think this is just HD Rumble...

immersive touch-based gaming controls = HD Rumble

Schnozberry

Knowing Nintendo and their approach, they probably kept this off the presentation because they don't have a game to showcase it.

RRockman

Banned
The quotes in the article don't say anything about touchscreen, so I think this is just HD Rumble...

immersive touch-based gaming controls = HD Rumble

But my issue with that is that while rumble provides feed back, it is not a way to input in to the device isn't it? The only touch based input as far as I know is the touch screen right?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Isnt this their website? if so, why would they link to the business wide article with the allegedly incorrect information?

Where is a screen mentioned in the business wire article?

But my issue with that is that while rumble provides feed back, it is not a way to input in to the device isn't it? The only touch based input as far as I know is the touch screen right?

Where does it say touch based "input"?

In the PR we find "the sense of touch","touch effects" and "touch feedback".

I'd say this is all HD rumble but the fact that they didn't address the touch screen at all during the press conference was a bit strange so maybe there's something to this after all.

Would be great because then i think I'd see the price tag much less of a problem.

AgeEighty

I admit I lapsed on that, but it's a bit obnoxious to link me to the "post truth society" over it.

Nicktendo86

I have a feeling nintendo just want to keep the message very, very simple at tue moment. Keep it to just a console you can take with you, then move onto other features later.

nightside

This is absolutely cool, but I wonder is it really necessary? Switch seems to implement different technologies that aren't cheap and probably won't be used often if at all.

18-Volt

Wait, I don't think this thing is inside of current Switches, sounds like they have just recently signed a contract with Nintendo. Maybe this will be featured in an upcoming revision of Switch. I expect one to come late next year.

Not really, since there appears to be no IR LED. The IR camera doesn't seem to be used for pointing but for rudimentary imaging sensing and promimity sensing. If anything controls an on-screen pointer to take place of a touchscreen, I'd guess they'd just use the gyros in the Joycon, especially since impressions have made them sound more precise than the Wii remote.
If i would have to guess there is infact an IR LED, the thing is it's probably inside the R Joycon with the IR Image Sensor Itself. It has to bath the target with infrared light for the proximity and image sensor to have a clean image instead of relying on the location's ambient lighting conditions.

So depending of the range that the R Joycon emits IR Light, one culd achieve similar Wii Remote Point Functionality with some IR reflective markers. Another solution (maybe) is to have the Joycon set on or attached to a surface with some guides with the IR sensor facing your hand/fingers and use it to track the hand motion as it moves near the surface. The program or game would have a UI pointer on the TV shadowing the hand movements. Just some possibilites, not necesarily that it would happen.

This is some beautiful irony in so many levels, but what makes it even more delicious is presenting the "post truth" as some sort of new tendency in human behavior that began with the new US elected president. People have been doing what that word suggests since the dawn of civilization XD

There's no haptic engines inside the Switch main body, at least not according to the patent which seems more reliable than the article since it has interpretations on the author's part. What it could happen (maybe), is that the actuators inside the Joycons can vibrate the main body in some "special way" when they are attached.

Edit: Going on a tangent, a question for anyone that saw the IGN in depth video: Did the Nintendo representative confirmed motion sensors inside the main body? The sound gets a bit muffled in that part.

Noitshado

The haptics is probably tied heavily with the OS and its functions along with touch based games that they decided not to focus on so guess we will get a dedicated direct for that together. To me this makes most sense in tablet only mode so if the tablet has no hardware and relys on joycons then Im confused at its usefulness. Maybe im not seeing their full vision or there is hardware in the main unit. Many of their innovations focus on Portable mode and commute can drown out its presence and Its position as Console first is perplexing.

They also haven't gone into detail about the IR sensor features so im leaning to them being heavily tied to OS functions. They haven't explained navigation while in console mode to handle the touchscreen functions. I mentioned this before but I still feel they are aiming for Google's Project Soli and PointGrab's hand recognition tech to handle navigation using the IR sensor and the depth perception thing or some form similar.

Zemm

Ah man so many people are going to be disappointed because of this thread when it turns out to be just the HD rumble. It doesn't make sense anyway since devs aren't going to want to add this to games when loads of people will be playing with the dock and can't use it.

BigEmil

somehow, it's more like apple taptic engine on iphone 7 face button or the apple watch.
The Main difference in Sense Tech is that there are multiples taptic engines placed around the screen (in the joycons from what we know so far) that can work in harmony for improved haptic feedback.
Interesting thanks

Top Bottom