• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Town meant to pas $.02 tax raise, passes .02¢ raise instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

VOTERS in Upper Freehold Township passed a bond question this month that will raise an additional $264,000 annually to preserve farmland in their Monmouth County community.

Or did they?

It turns out the ballots were misprinted. Instead of asking if voters wanted to pay an additional $.02 per $100 of assessed value — 2 cents — the amount printed on ballots was “.02¢.”

The error was brought to light by a resident, Walter Helfrecht, at the Nov. 1 town meeting — five days before the election and too late for a reprint.

“I’m an engineer and I pay attention to detail,” said Mr. Helfrecht, who said he still voted for the ballot measure, which passed, 962 to 899.

“When I brought it up, everyone’s jaw dropped,” he said.

The town’s plan was to issue a bond of about $2.5 million for farmland preservation and use the money raised by the ballot question to make the annual payments of about $264,000, said Barbara Bascom, the township administrator. A .02-cent assessment, on the other hand, would bring in only $2,640 a year.

Even when the township committee passed the resolution authorizing the bond question on Aug. 16, that erroneous cent sign was in place. The bond question’s explanatory statement was also wrong. It said that if the measure was rejected, the town’s open space tax levy would remain at “.04¢” — not the correct amount, 4 cents.

“This must have been reviewed by all five township committeemen three or four times,” Mrs. Bascom said. She said she and the town attorney, Granville D. Magee, also repeatedly examined it. If Mr. Helfrecht had not raised the matter at the Nov. 1 meeting, “I don’t think anyone would have noticed it,” she said.

The town will discuss the options at its next meeting, on Thursday, including whether it can levy the 2-cent tax that was intended, Mrs. Bascom said.

“The people of this municipality very clearly knew that we were looking for 2 cents because it was mostly at the request of the public that we put it on the ballot,” she said, noting that numerous local news stories leading up to the vote referred to 2 cents.

According to the State Division of Elections, if the township decides to levy the 2-cent tax, a resident could file a challenge in State Superior Court within 30 days of the election, said David Wald, a division spokesman.

Penny M. Venetis, a Rutgers law professor, said the town could run into trouble if it unilaterally decided to levy the 2 cents. “They would really need to hold a special election to fix it,” she said.

Ms. Venetis said that in addition to taking the expensive and time-consuming step of suing to invalidate the amount if the town levies the 2 cents, residents could refuse to pay the larger levy, shelling out only the .02 cents that was technically approved.

The Monmouth County clerk of elections, Bertha Sumick, said she assumed the town would be bound by what was printed, “but that’s why attorneys get into it.”

Rita Marie Fulginiti, vice president of the statewide organization that represents county clerks, said errors were quite common, recalling mistakes like spelling problems and incorrect Spanish translations. “It’s generally caught with the absentee ballots,” which are mailed out 40 days before the general election, said Mrs. Fulginiti, who is also the Cape May County clerk.

Upper Freehold has a long history of farmland and open space preservation. About 42 percent of the land in the 48-square-mile township is preserved in some manner, Mrs. Bascom said.

“The people in the municipality have always been very supportive because they basically want this area to stay rural,” she said.

Mr. Helfrecht, whose sharp eyes caught the error, said he was frustrated that so many officials missed such a key mistake. If the town winds up putting the measure to another vote, he said, he will keep his eyes peeled.

“They better be careful next time,” he said. “I’ll put my two cents in again if they mess it up a second time.”

Story is here

Aside from my general opinion that the town council is just plain stupid, I think it's rather frightening that they assume the voters can intuit that what was on the ballot was not what was REALLY on the ballot. I think that they voted for the .02¢ increase because that's genuinely what they wanted and if the blood sucker... I mean, if the town council wants to raise taxes again they should do it openly and hold another election, not try to alter what the town voted on secretly.

edit, DAMMIT, I can't believe I said "pas" instead of "pass" that's what I get for not double checking my thread title. Unless a kindly mod can step in......

wow, thats about 10 minutes from where i live. i drive through freehold every day going to rutgers.

anyway, this a sham and they should just hold another election. it is probable that people thought "hey, only .02 of a cent? ok w/e ill vote for it" and didnt stupidly assume it meant $.02

Gaborn

Francois the Great said:
wow, thats about 10 minutes from where i live. i drive through freehold every day going to rutgers.

anyway, this a sham and they should just hold another election. it is probable that people thought "hey, only .02 of a cent? ok w/e ill vote for it" and didnt stupidly assume it meant $.02

Exactly, they should NOT raise taxes by 10,000%.

Lesson of the day: when you see food advertised for ".99¢" or some such in a window, go inside and slap down your penny, then ask for change.

Gaborn

Cheesemeister said:
Lesson of the day: when you see food advertised for ".99¢" or some such in a window, go inside and slap down your penny, then ask for change.

And then sue them for false advertising when they tell you to fuck off.

fallout

cloudwalking said:
what is it with people and decimal fractions. it's like most people find them completely incomprehensible.
It's actually more of a problem with people not understanding units.

aoi tsuki

i just remembered the math dispute i had at Cookout (local burger chain) a week back. i was debating what burger to get, but i didn't want anything with a more than a third pound of meat.

Girl at window: Why don't you just get the "[whatever it was] Burger"? It's got two quarter pound patties.
Me: That's more than a third pounder.
Girl at window: No, it's two quarter pounds. That's less.
Me: Two quarter pounds is a half pound. A half pound is more than a third pound.
Girl at window: ...
Me: Yeah, i'll just take that.

She was really friendly, and i've been back and seen her and she's still really friendly, but fuck if fast food places employees aren't some of the worst in terms of basic math. i wish i were basing that on this experience alone.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Who the hell uses the cent symbol? Make it go away for good.

aoi tsuki said:
i just remembered the math dispute i had at Cookout (local burger chain) a week back. i was debating what burger to get, but i didn't want anything with a more than a third pound of meat.

Girl at window: Why don't you just get the "[whatever it was] Burger"? It's got two quarter pound patties.
Me: That's more than a third pounder.
Girl at window: No, it's two quarter pounds. That's less.
Me: Two quarter pounds is a half pound. A half pound is more than a third pound.
Me: Yeah, i'll just take that.

She was really friendly, and i've been back and seen her and she's still really friendly, but fuck if fast food places employees aren't some of the worst in terms of basic math. i wish i were basing that on this experience alone.

Why do you think we work in fast food?

aoi tsuki

A Link to the Snitch said:
Why do you think we work in fast food?
i only stated that fast food places are some of the worst. i didn't say they had the market on people who are shit at math. i've encountered such people in all walks of life, but fast food tends to be the worst in my experience.

aoi tsuki said:
i only stated that fast food places are some of the worst. i didn't say they had the market on people who are shit at math. i've encountered such people in all walks of life, but fast food tends to be the worst in my experience.

Trust me, we're all bad at math.

aoi tsuki

A Link to the Snitch said:
Trust me, we're all bad at math.
Define "we". If by "we" you mean "the general US population" and by "bad at math" you mean "can't mentally do middle school math", then i'd have to disagree.

aoi tsuki said:
Define "we". If by "we" you mean "the general US population" and by "bad at math" you mean "can't mentally do middle school math", then i'd have to disagree.

Maybe he is saying he is under the employ of a fast food company?

draven

Gaborn said:
Aside from my general opinion that the town council is just plain stupid, I think it's rather frightening that they assume the voters can intuit that what was on the ballot was not what was REALLY on the ballot. I think that they voted for the .02¢ increase because that's genuinely what they wanted and if the blood sucker... I mean, if the town council wants to raise taxes again they should do it openly and hold another election, not try to alter what the town voted on secretly.

edit, DAMMIT, I can't believe I said "pas" instead of "pass" that's what I get for not double checking my thread title. Unless a kindly mod can step in......

What's that phrase about rocks and glass houses?

Anyway, even before reading the thread I kinda figured it would be an engineer who'd point it out...

Gaborn

gkrykewy said:
It would pass anyway - open space referenda almost always pass. Sorry, libertopians.

You're probably right, but at LEAST if they want to raise taxes by 9,990% they have to do it through a special election, not by looking for ways around the vote.

aoi tsuki said:

No, just fast food peoples.

Math is our kryptonite, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom