• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tried to watch Interstellar and bd drive died

jts

...hate me...
oh god, I cant stop laughing. good day, sir.

I mean, you love consoles and franchises that have died. What's the social utility in that?

Maybe it means something more, something we can't yet understand.

J_Ark

Ending spoiler:
Yes it was. It was the conclusion. And I'm fine with that.

All the movie explains in absence of love. All the chit chat from hathaway and Mconaughey can be omitted with their own believes in critical moments or simply they don't understand that humans from the future do it because it happened before and must happen.

Too much hate for a visual and sound masterpiece. Loved the interpretations and plot too.

CassSept

Ending spoiler:
Yes it was. It was the conclusion. And I'm fine with that.

Umm, no
All the movie explains in absence of love. All the chit chat from hathaway and Mconaughey can be omitted with their own believes in critical moments or simply they don't understand that humans from the future do it because it happened before and must happen.

Too much hate for a visual and sound masterpiece. Loved the interpretations and plot too.

Basically this. McConaughey thinks it's love when he's inside the tesseract but it's actually built by future humans to close the time loop

JMTHEFOX

SpiritedShadowyGrunion.gif

gcib.gif

Damn, I had no idea Interstellar had such a big hate circle jerk behind it.

It's just here on NeoGAF, outside it's widely praised. It has it's haters, but it's minority.

It's currently on #23 on the top 250 of IMDb, 8.4 user score on Metacritic and 86% audience score on RT.

JobenNC

Try generating a ton of loud ambient noise in your home and speaking to your xbone in a voice that's barely audible.

OneUh8

I honestly do not like watching Blu Rays on the Xbox One. Something just seems off with it. Prefer my dedicated player or PS4. Plus it bothers me to no end it can't bitstream HD audio codecs (True HD and DTS HD) to my receiver to do the decoding.

BrunoM

The clicking noises ng be giving you the coordinates to an ebgames store to buy a new Xboxone or a higher life form telling you to let it go let it goo

EBreda

I don't hate it but I don't love it neither. There's a few parts that really bothers me, thw whole matt damon part is waaay too 'hollywood cheap script' for me. and yeah that plot with the 'love'.... I was like seriously? a friend of mine said: You'll get it once you're a father. Yeah no lol
Soundtrack is amazing though so there's that

He's right though. Try having a baby daughter and watching that again. Damn...

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Fucking spoilers beware. The OP stated he never finished the movie. Asses...

Also. Interstellar is an amazing film and one of the most important in decades.

Screw tha haters.

Jito

Banned

Screw tha haters.

Uh no it's really not, you think people will be talking about Interstellar later this year? Let alone in years to come...

Uh no it's really not, you think people will be talking about Interstellar later this year? Let alone in years to come...

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/astrophysics-interstellar-black-hole

Yeah, they will.

Over the course of a couple months in early 2013, Thorne and Nolan delved into what the physicist calls “the warped side of the universe”—curved spacetime, holes in the fabric of reality, how gravity bends light. “The story is now essentially all Chris and Jonah's,” Thorne says. “But the spirit of it, the goal of having a movie in which science is embedded in the fabric from the beginning—and it's great science—that was preserved.”

Their success with the wormhole emboldened the effects team to try the same approach with the black hole. But black holes, as the name suggests, are murder on light. Filmmakers often use a technique called ray tracing to render light and reflections in images. “But ray-tracing software makes the generally reasonable assumption that light is traveling along straight paths,” says Eugénie von Tunzelmann, a CG supervisor at Double Negative. This was a whole other kind of physics. “We had to write a completely new renderer,” she says.

In the end, Nolan got elegant images that advance the story. Thorne got a movie that teaches a mass audience some real, accurate science. But he also got something he didn't expect: a scientific discovery. “This is our observational data,” he says of the movie's visualizations. “That's the way nature behaves. Period.” Thorne says he can get at least two published articles out of it.

When Thorne discusses the astrophysics that he likes best—colliding black holes, space dragged into motion by a whirling star, time warps—he uses a lot of analogies. He talks about two tornadoes running into each other or rays of light cast about like straw in the wind. But metaphors can be deceptive; they can make people think they understand something when they only understand what it is like. But Thorne's haloed, spinning black hole and galaxy-spanning wormhole are not just metaphors. Most Interstellar viewers will see these images—the wormhole, the black hole, the weird light—and think, “Whoa. That's beautiful.” Thorne looks at them and thinks, “Whoa. That's true.” And from a certain perspective, that's beautiful too.

Screw tha haters.

Sure it is. Movies like 2001: Space Odissey, Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner and Scarface also got hating and backslashing in their initial release but now they're regarded as one of the best movies of all time. It's no different from the hate Interstellar is getting now. It'll become a landmark classic in the near future.

You'll feel dumb for saying this.

Erm an article from last year doesn't prove me wrong.

Did you not see the end of the article? It led to scientific advancement - your broad statement about nobody caring is far too broad. It's dismissed within one specific field rather easily.

And really what this article is talking about is the science in the film, not the film itself. Yeh maybe they'll be talking about stuff referenced in the movie in the future, but I'm sure they would do without Interstellar being made.

But that didn't happen, did it? You're dealing in hypotheticals.

Jito

Banned
Did you not see the end of the article? It led to scientific advancement - your broad statement about nobody caring is far too broad. It's dismissed within one specific field rather easily.

Oh ok, so you're actually just talking about scientific bases, yeh I guess you're right then.

But as a movie, which is what Interstellar is, then I doubt it'll be talked about in years to come.

So you're seriously suggesting that without the movie Interstellar, some scientific advancement/discoveries wouldn't have been made. Right.

You'll feel dumb for saying this.

I really won't.

malfcn

I really wish I would have recorded the sounds.
If only I had known.. Who or what was communicating with me? Xbox 1080?

After finishing the movie, I have to admit the whole experience is hysterical.

Kowalski

Banned
Sort of had an issue with my console too, but turned out to be the disc iteself. Whew.

Was going to watch GOT S4 on the living room XB1, but disc 3 would not read. I kept trying and trying, but nothing. Gave up and went to the media room XB1, got a little further, but kept failing. Popped in a different disc, worked.

Got the three episodes I planned to watch by other means, but sucked that disc 3 was a defect. To my disappointment, I was two days over the 45 days I'm allowed to return for an exchange. :(

Better to have a defect disc than a defect console.

Top Bottom