• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon Ice

Banned
The fact that they mentioned the transistor count (entirely meaningless) but avoided talking about any clock speeds (meaningful) should have alerted everybody to this.

jet1911

Man, poor MS can't catch a break lol

Seriously E3 can't come soon enough. We'll really see what the console can do compared to the PS4.

ucan remo.ve RUMUR frmo hte thread tittle TEAMMOD. esram yieldls. are "troubling"toput it lightly.

truthfact.

btw youiw lil not njhear abouthing about tech atMS E3 presentation. tech tarbaby (notracistst!) IS TSTICKIER THAN YOU WIL EVER KNOW. I LOOK FORWARF TO READING THE BOOK BY VENTUREBEAT.

theyMSrushed. --caughtoutbysonychangs. leadershitfailure.p.

0300_ymsh.gif

I don't recall his earlier posts being dyslexic, so instead if stroke I will go with him making other media searching and referring to his confirmation in blogs less of a risk, he probably does not need that attention. Kind of like the zebra pattern of leak posts.

Hopefully. Sorry, it just reminded me if an old friend.

KOHIPEET

This is sad if true. I was really looking forward to see a face-melting Halo 5.

Can still happen though, it's just becoming more and more unlikely.

AzaK

What gamers often misunderstand is the fact that consoles aren't made with cutting edge tech but with an affordable price point in mind. It's all about compromises and tough choices for both engineers and CEOs. Sometimes they do a good job and are lucky with the outcome, sometimes things don't turn out as expected and they get louder, hotter, bigger, more complicated, pricier or all at once.

All three companies made some hardware bets, and this time it looks like MS has drawn the loser. It happens.
Still doesn't sound worse than Wii u. Although if true it might end up better for it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Can someone give me a post history of CBOAT? What are his connections to the gaming industry? Ex MS worker? Phil Harrison in disguise?

He has posted threads with inside info, in that style of posting. Mods have given him or her their blessing.

I think that says a LOT, really.

Once, I believe

But only once

Don't remember on what, though

Remember Me being a Sony exclusive premiere at E3 2012. But obviously that fell apart and went multiplatform.

Jigolo

ucan remo.ve RUMUR frmo hte thread tittle TEAMMOD. esram yieldls. are "troubling"toput it lightly.

truthfact.

btw youiw lil not njhear abouthing about tech atMS E3 presentation. tech tarbaby (notracistst!) IS TSTICKIER THAN YOU WIL EVER KNOW. I LOOK FORWARF TO READING THE BOOK BY VENTUREBEAT.

what the fuck is this?

Linkified

No, it would require a full silicon respin and tape out. Not possible in the time we have left between now and launch. It takes around 6-9 months for a full silicon respin. For MS to have done it they would have had to start the process back in November to allow for 3 months of mass production, stockpiling, assembly and testing.

Going by the rumours it seems very unlikely that MS have a silicon respin in the works that will be ready in time for launch. Not only that, there is no guarantee that it will solve the issues, sometimes Intel get to D0 stepping cores before they have consumer grade silicon ready, asking for a huge and complex APU to be ready on a B0/1 stepping core with a passable yield is a big ask and even a third revision may not be enough.

Waiting for a respin would be a poor idea, and waiting for magical process improvements is a worse one. Either they take the pain or they downclock. It is, for once, a black and white choice.

Or just delay X1, the $99/£99 360 with a couple of exclusives would be more than sufficient this year. There is a third option ...

diffusionx

Gold Member
This doesn't seem like a very good bet though.

The odds that this process was going to work well seem, from doing a bit of reading but by no means as an expert on fabrication, against Microsoft.

Not sure about that, considering the 360 leaned heavily on eDRAM and it arguably kept the system pumping out great looking games far longer than it should have.

I know why MS made the decisions they did with this system, maybe it's just not panning out like it did on 360.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Can someone translate crazy buttocks on a train post into something readable?

sure

truthfact.

rough translation said:
Mods, you can remove "rumor" from the title. ESRAM yields are "troubling", to put it lightly.

This is factual truth.

Btw, you won't hear tech talk at MS' conference. And the tech cannot change at this point. They're stuck with it.

MS rushed, they were caught off guard by Sony, due to a failure in leadership.

edit: I might have gotten the tarbaby thing wrong... only vaguely familiar with the reference.

1-D_FTW

So yields are poor. Check (but any clarity on clocks?).

E3 won't mention any tech (so confirms just games???).

MS rushed the design. (or in this case I also think AMD overpromised. ESRAM at 32 mb is pretty large).

Isn't TSMC involved in this process? They're pretty notorious at under delivering on promises (at least if you were to ask Nvidia). If they're the ones doing the fabbing, and this is truly an exotic design, none of those guys should have been shocked. Any other result would have been shocking.

Clevinger

truthfact.

Buddy, stop binge drinking before you post. I'm worried about your health.

What is a worse situation:

Being severely supply constrained out of the gate and for a significant amount of time, bringing potential customers to stores with your marketing, who then may chose the in-stock competing product or delay the launch while you increase your production, so your launch hype and marketing blitz can coincide with actually having product in stores to sell yet giving your competition time to build up momentum while they are alone in the market?

Truant

From the little I know, the only thing affected by this will be the number of units available at launch. No changes in silicone, speed, or performance.

Not sure if my source is legit, though.

Donnie

GPU? APU? GPU/CPU? I don't know which. A lot of conflicting suggestions. Those who understand it better will have to hash it out. I don't know what the most appropriate term would should be.

GPU is fine for the title. I mean technically its an APU which includes the CPU/GPU and eSRAM, and is the part they're having yield problems with so that's what they'll be downclocking.

However while technically that's true they could possibly change some APU settings so that only the GPU ends up slower. So considering at the moment we've only heard of a GPU downclock I'd say "GPU" is best to use in the title as its going to be clearer and easier to understand for most of GAF

diffusionx

Gold Member
What is a worse situation:

Being severely supply constrained out of the gate and for a significant amount of time, bringing potential customers to stores with your marketing, who then may chose the in-stock competing product or delay the launch while you increase your production, so your launch hype and marketing blitz can coincide with actually having product in stores to sell yet giving your competition time to build up momentum while they are alone in the market?

Delaying, no question about it.

You need a product on the shelf. You can fix those other problems later. MS of all companies in the game industry know this.

Isn't TSMC involved in this process? They're pretty notorious at under delivering on promises (at least if you were to ask Nvidia). If they're the ones doing the fabbing, and this is truly an exotic design, none of those guys should have been shocked. Any other result would have been shocking.

True. Hard to point out if AMD, when designing honestly the largest ESRAM ever, went too far, or TSMC is still having major 28 nm problems at some Fabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom