• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole debacle of Microsoft's serial failings is hardly a result of a kneejerk reaction to Sony's initial surprise reveal in February?

It certainly reeks of unpreparedness ... if so ... well played Sony ... well played ..

tumblr_map36xRxph1rbk089o2_250.gif

He has posted threads with inside info, in that style of posting. Mods have given him or her their blessing.

I think that says a LOT, really.

Remember Me being a Sony exclusive premiere at E3 2012. But obviously that fell apart and went multiplatform.

it was dropped by sony at a late stage and bought by capcom.

so he was still right just outdated info.

Like someone said, MS can't "refresh" the Xbone.

If they downgrade their system, THAT system will be the default system for the next 6-7 years.

Developers will have to program with that system in mind.

That really sucks.

I honestly believe, that at this point Microsoft should delay the Xbone a year to sort their shut out. Launch next year with a powerful console and mature development tools, and hope for a PS3 "come from behind and catch up" situation.

Drek

I'm a bit bummed about X1 becoming the platform third-party devs have to use as a baseline. Yeah, PS4 versions might get 60 fps instead of 30 but I'd much rather have seen what devs could do around PS4 baseline to make incredible gfx + 30 fps.

Why do you assume that is going to happen?

I'd bet everyone works on top tier PC hardware for 90% of development and then ports over.

Developers will look to target PS4 for "high" settings, Xbone for "medium" early in the generation and by the end it'll be PS4 = "medium", Xbone = "low".

The bigger concern is that the ESRAM demands more optimization than any PS4 component to get worthwhile performance, which even then isn't going to be enough to catch up with PS4's GDDR5 bandwidth. The Xbone is probably looking at a lot of sloppy ports a la the PS3 this generation. Why spend three months optimizing the data management on Xbone when you can get a functional version on it in a month and even optimized it'll lag behind PS4 and PC? Developers and publishers gain nothing optimizing for the weakest, most specialized hardware.

oh my, I just read through the OP. There are no words.

It does explain an awful lot about the confusing messages coming from MS but this could be gen shattering if true, especially for developers/publishers who were counting on PS4/Xbox One being platform twins again.

Downscaling assets shouldn't be a huge deal for exclusive titles but I can't see how this wouldn't effect multiplatform development if the gap in power between the One and the PS4 are as huge as it's beginning to look.

dcx4610

Sony has been handed a silver platter and now it's getting stacked with delicious food.

There's no way they won't screw this up. I predict all launch consoles to overheat or something catastrophic. It's Sony after all.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This post makes no sense. If you're a fan of a company and their games, why would you feel the need to apologize about that?

Seriously

People seem to forget that the system will still be very capable by ~6x more than the predecessor

They will still have the same great games and forward thinking services

Yes, it sucks- these things can happen

But I'm not going to tear the patch off my shoulder just because we lose some potential

The best looking games aren't always the best games.

BigDug13

GDDR5 still has some drawbacks (like their memory controllers). Just a design decision, and if this pans out to be true, is lucky for Sony at this time.

Again, the question is how bad the yields are and how that effects the total supply the first 6 months of release. That is up for the MSFT execs to figure out and us to dream about.

If they don't down clock, they most likely will get improved yields in a year or so, but supply will be shitty (possibly).

But won't they basically be throwing money away as they produce unusable components that have to be trashed if they don't downclock? It's not just supply issues, it's way more money to produce the console than originally budgetted, right?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
In simpe words, what does this means?

Either...

1. The XBox will be delayed by x months
  2. The XBox will not be available in sufficient numbers on this year's release
  3. The XBox's APU will be downclocked to some degree to improve production rates

AOC83

Banned
This whole debacle of Microsoft's serial failings is hardly a result of a kneejerk reaction to Sony's initial surprise reveal in February?

It certainly reeks of unpreparedness ... if so ... well played Sony ... well played ..

How can anybody be unprepared after 8 years?

Perkel

Banned
ucan remo.ve RUMUR frmo hte thread tittle TEAMMOD. esram yieldls. are "troubling"toput it lightly.

truthfact.

btw youiw lil not njhear abouthing about tech atMS E3 presentation. tech tarbaby (notracistst!) IS TSTICKIER THAN YOU WIL EVER KNOW. I LOOK FORWARF TO READING THE BOOK BY VENTUREBEAT.

theyMSrushed. --caughtoutbysonychangs. leadershitfailure.p.

And it is done. Horrible news for all people who love gaming (both PS and MS lovers)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They can find it now thanks to this guy who trasnlated the thing can't they?

Dude... "they" read gaf.

And a news site isn't gonna parrot my translation. The point of teh gibberish style is probably so he doesn't get quoted by press, but that can't be as important these days, "they" are aware by now of CBoaT and I imagine at this point he's just sticking with convention... his posts aren't secrets.

Vesper73

Is it possible for Microsoft to delay the console for a year or so, and re-architect this thing? (2.5-TFLOP, 12GB of memory)

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I actually hope microsoft havea bit of a flop on their hands to be honest. Sony deserved it with the ps3 at first. Now MS deserve it

avaya

This is what happens when you get MBA cretins to make the big calls on your machine.

Seriously what a piece of dogshit this thing is, they have ruined it for everyone. PC gamers will suffer from Xbone gimping, PS4 gamers will suffer from Xbone gimping.

Microsoft is like the guy jumping on the tracks at rush hour. Fucked everyone.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Wonder if its specific enough for dopey. Perhaps he would need to inspect the hardware post launch.

I don't go in PS4 threads FYI

I just read outlines and whatever in big info drops

Yeah, but looking good does not hurt either.

This is suggesting there won't be good looking games on X1

We are starting to have diminishing returns, and this gen has been impressive for a long time

So there is no doubt some games will look jaw dropping

I'm not truly concerned.

Remember Me being a Sony exclusive premiere at E3 2012. But obviously that fell apart and went multiplatform.

Although he was right about the existence of the game even posted a small section of a screenshot well before the announcement, and it came out that it was intended to be a Sony exclusive, so even then he was right, but there were last minute changes, Microsoft changes perhaps?

BigDug13

Seriously

People seem to forget that the system will still be very capable by ~6x more than the predecessor

They will still have the same great games and forward thinking services

Yes, it sucks- these things can happen

But I'm not going to tear the patch off my shoulder just because we lose some potential

The best looking games aren't always the best games.

If you think a cobbled together and rushed system with component production issues is going to be "A ok", I think your kool-aid is pretty strong. I'm just not sure what MS did to deserve such good will. They've had 2 catastrophic hardware failures in a row with Xbox's that set houses on fire 2 generations ago, and systems that were extremely prone to RROD this generation (I bought 4 360's this generation). This announcement does nothing to shake your resolve? Well then you're quite the company man.

But won't they basically be throwing money away as they produce unusable components that have to be trashed if they don't downclock? It's not just supply issues, it's way more money to produce the console than originally budgetted, right?

Welcome to corporate risk! Upside? MSFT is huge, and the XBOX division could sell the chips internally to say "tablets" or something similar that could make use of slower chips.

Make a new zune!

Talamius

I honestly wonder if Microsoft's original intent was a Holiday 2014 launch. Too bad we'll probably never know for sure. They were obviously not prepared for Sony to be ready to go in 2013.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
ucan remo.ve RUMUR frmo hte thread tittle TEAMMOD. esram yieldls. are "troubling"toput it lightly.

truthfact.

btw youiw lil not njhear abouthing about tech atMS E3 presentation. tech tarbaby (notracistst!) IS TSTICKIER THAN YOU WIL EVER KNOW. I LOOK FORWARF TO READING THE BOOK BY VENTUREBEAT.

theyMSrushed. --caughtoutbysonychangs. leadershitfailure.p.

Where's the Vince Carter at SDC 2000 gif when you need it?

sTeLioSco

Banned
this is terrible for next gen. even if the PS4 ends up with +800 gflops, multiplatform games will still have to be designed with the limitations of the xboner in mind which is infuriating for me. it could just be like the current PC situation where the core game is limited in design by the lowest common denominator and then they just add some nice coats of paint on top for the higher end versions....

luckily, the ps4 will have their own studios to make exclusives, but it's just something i was hoping was going to be done with when we moved to next gen systems.

damn you esram for hogging up all that die space! you SOB!

well fortunately sony has alot of first parties.

the team that made the last of us will make the next uncharted on the most powerful console.interesting.....

Man, the stars are not aligning for MS. I can't help but feel even a stellar line up at E3 won't help them at this point.

Well, it would help them a lot, but I'm not expecting anything close to stellar out of their line up.

So far, pretty much every major rumor that was circulating earlier this year about the Xbone has had at least some truth to it:

- Quite underpowered compared to PS4
- "Always" online
- Always "Kinected"/privacy issues
- DRM/Used game restrictions
- Casual focus/TV passthrough, etc.
- Six months behind the curve in terms of game development

That last one we won't know for sure about until after E3, but at this point I'm pretty much expecting it to be just as true as everything above it. Either that, or they're going to announce a bunch of launch games at E3 and then push many of them back into 2014 in the weeks/months after E3.

Durante

And it is done. Horrible news for all people who love gaming (both PS and MS lovers)
I'm not sure. Given their recent actions, I honestly believe that MS dominating the console market would be a bad thing for gaming enthusiasts like us. As such, I welcome news that impede their progress. (Of course, I'm not really either an MS or PS lover -- it should be well established by now that my love is reserved only for open platforms)

calder

Assumedly to attempt to disguise who he is. Syntax and writing style can give a lot away about a person and this seems to obfuscate pretty well.

I've always assumed the same, and it is a very effective mask for CBoaT. For example, I am constantly mindful of my phrasing because I'm terrified people will realize I'm Pulitzer Prize winning novelist and playwright Cormac McCarthy.

gaming_noob

This post makes no sense. If you're a fan of a company and their games, why would you feel the need to apologize about that?

I have been rather defensive in the past and gotten personal with some posters when something negative was talked about regarding MS...I have apologized to them either in PM or publicly though!

Mindwipe

To be honest, part of me feels that the Xbone failing big would be good news at this point for people who love gaming, because the DRM thing will be pinned as one of the reasons.

Drek

They can find it now thanks to this guy who trasnlated the thing can't they?

They'll get a link to Evolved's post that links back to CBoaT's original post on a message board WELL known for telling corporations to fuck off when asking for user's private information.

Journalists aren't going to quote and cite him on VG news sites because the formatting is atrocious (coupled with their own ego), so the biggest "red flag" is already bypassed.

They couldn't even use preferential word use and sentence arrangement (how your phone/tablet predicts what word you want next) versus known employee twitter accounts/internal emails/etc.. If you don't think that is done regularly you're fooling yourself, and this bypasses a huge leak detection tool.

That and with no real specific red flag words so you can quite literally argue the "word" of the law should they ever track him down. It's gibberish to most.

And again, this is a paper shield. But a thousand paper shields stacked one atop the other becomes pretty damn effective.

Salaadin

What does this mean for the XBO being playable at E3? I mean, 3 weeks ago, we got zero playable footage, tech demos, and a faked OS presentation. Is this thing even working yet? Is E3 going to come and go with no real hands on impressions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom