• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

...what's a tech tarbaby? :/

Seriously, though, that's...not very reassuring.

MS tried to use ESRAM to fix the low bandwidth of DDR3 to avoid the price of using GDDR5 & it only got them stuck in a technical shit storm that will only get worse as they try to get out of it.

Would be fairly similar, likely

X1 CPU would have had better performance on DDR3, and then there's the shape stuff...

But then again we aren't 100% sure what both systems are handling on dedicated hardware

If all audio in PS4 is being handled by a dedicated chip, or if OS functions are offloaded, or whatever

Though that was confirmed, as in PS4 has an audio dedicated chip.

Neo C.

This doesn't seem like a very good bet though.

The odds that this process was going to work well seem, from doing a bit of reading but by no means as an expert on fabrication, against Microsoft.

MS has certain goals which make the engineering difficult. Honestly, I don't blame the engineers, MS just set the priorities wrong.

Drek

Is there reasoning behind cboats posting format? I feel like I'm reading into someone's mind that I shouldn't be

Try google searching the particulars and see if his posts pop up anywhere in the first 100000 pages.

Its not much of an extra layer of protection for a leaker, but you're stupid not to do everything you can to CYA if you're going to leak details. Running a text search on a forum, twitter, etc. is the first thing any sane company does when they want to find the source of a leak. Nine times out of ten you'll probably be able to trace it back to a twitter account or facebook page with real user data in the mix.

Mikey Jr.

Like someone said, MS can't "refresh" the Xbone.

If they downgrade their system, THAT system will be the default system for the next 6-7 years.

Developers will have to program with that system in mind.

That really sucks.

Mr Swine

Banned
Can MS ship Xbones with down clocked CPU/GPU and later on with none down locked hardware? Won't that in itself cause problems with games?

Durante

I'm almost certain CBOAT posts like he posts because it makes direct quotes by publications less likely.

And it's fun of course.

Anyway, I'm honestly flabbergasted by the incompetence MS' is displaying in key areas. First the revelation that their development tools (a core competency of the company!) are actually behind Sony's and now it appears like they could be spending more money for significantly inferior hardware.

ucan remo.ve RUMUR frmo hte thread tittle TEAMMOD. esram yieldls. are "troubling"toput it lightly.

truthfact.

btw youiw lil not njhear abouthing about tech atMS E3 presentation. tech tarbaby (notracistst!) IS TSTICKIER THAN YOU WIL EVER KNOW. I LOOK FORWARF TO READING THE BOOK BY VENTUREBEAT.

theyMSrushed. --caughtoutbysonychangs. leadershitfailure.p.

buttocks in the thread
:O

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I see rumors but never specifics

It was confirmed by Mark Cerny himself in his post-reveal Gamasutra interview, Dedicated audio hardware for O/S and gaming use, dedicated zlib compression/decompression hardware and dedicated video encoding h/w.

If Sony ends winning the generation, I think Cerny would have played a major role. His architecture design choice for the PS4 is totally paying off right now.

Donnie

Can someone give me a post history of CBOAT? What are his connections to the gaming industry? Ex MS worker? Phil Harrison in disguise?

No, they have separate cocks that can be modified at wish. Heck, they have separate power saving frequencies [CPU will not always work @ full speed, GPU also].

Where has it been said that each part within the APU can have its own clock speed totally independent of the APU clock? I'm always interesting in new info.

Separate power saving frequencies could be simply a combination of a dynamic APU clock and multiplier changes, that would give you various CPU and GPU speeds independent of each other.

ucan remo.ve RUMUR frmo hte thread tittle TEAMMOD. esram yieldls. are "troubling"toput it lightly.

truthfact.

btw youiw lil not njhear abouthing about tech atMS E3 presentation. tech tarbaby (notracistst!) IS TSTICKIER THAN YOU WIL EVER KNOW. I LOOK FORWARF TO READING THE BOOK BY VENTUREBEAT.

Man, the stars are not aligning for MS. I can't help but feel even a stellar line up at E3 won't help them at this point.

FinKL

This is pretty big news, it literally sounds like MS is being caught with their pants down recently with everything screaming "rushed"

Anteo

Try google searching the particulars and see if his posts pop up anywhere in the first 100000 pages.

Its not much of an extra layer of protection for a leaker, but you're stupid not to do everything you can to CYA if you're going to leak details. Running a text search on a forum, twitter, etc. is the first thing any sane company does when they want to find the source of a leak. Nine times out of ten you'll probably be able to trace it back to a twitter account or facebook page with real user data in the mix.

They can find it now thanks to this guy who trasnlated the thing can't they?

sure

edit: I might have gotten the tarbaby thing wrong... only vaguely familiar with the reference.

Majanew

Banned
Just read crazy buttocks post... holy shit. MS looks so dumb right now it's amazing.

Those rumors back a few months ago about MS delaying the release date were probably true because what MS currently have right now, is a complete fucking mess of a console.

Sky Chief

I love this thread and all the MS fanboys that are trying to spin this and the negative attention to Sony ("well, Sony shouldn't be doing any better, in that case...").

Also I love all the tech stuff (yields, bill of materials, embedded system ram, etc), mostly the jargon and stuff, things like these are why I love reading educational GAF!

Still, shouldn't matter much as I'm dead set on getting a PS4, but it should get more interesting come E3.

For me the most fascinating thing is how these consoles have to be designed so far out without knowledge of how tech and manufacturing will advance between the time you are designing and the time you must bring the console to market.

Looks like Sony and Cerny somehow got GDDR5 exactly right (with some good fortune).

This also shows what a huge risk it is to design a gaming console where the primary focus is not gaming. MS dug a huge hole for themselves by deciding right off the bat that they needed 8GB of RAM for all of the non gaming stuff they wanted to do and they have been living with the regret of that decision ever since as that decision had a cascading effect that led to the ESRAM being necessary, etc..., etc....

Really, really fascinating stuff.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I see rumors but never specifics

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php?page=3

Another thing the PlayStation 4 team did to increase the flexibility of the console is to put many of its basic functions on dedicated units on the board -- that way, you don't have to allocate resources to handling these things.

"The reason we use dedicated units is it means the overhead as far as games are concerned is very low," said Cerny. "It also establishes a baseline that we can use in our user experience."

"For example, by having the hardware dedicated unit for audio, that means we can support audio chat without the games needing to dedicate any significant resources to them. The same thing for compression and decompression of video." The audio unit also handles decompression of "a very large number" of MP3 streams for in-game audio, Cerny added.

Wow never thought about that. Kinda genius on his part

I'm a bit bummed about X1 becoming the platform third-party devs have to use as a baseline. Yeah, PS4 versions might get 60 fps instead of 30 but I'd much rather have seen what devs could do around PS4 baseline to make incredible gfx + 30 fps.

Delaying, no question about it.

You need a product on the shelf. You can fix those other problems later. MS of all companies in the game industry know this.

Yeah, you're right, you can also bank on Sony being supply constrained, not as severely but delaying this late and missing the holiday would also be a killer for publishers, who would also then be pushing for the PS4 hard in 2013.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh Microsoft. You are an entirely fucked from top to bottom organisation it seems these days. Ballmer really did a number on every aspect.

These are some pretty horrendous reports to be hearing 4-5 months from LAUNCH. Sony must be delirious with joy.

I do not understand this.

Xbox 360 was released in 2005. It is 2013 now, eight years later, how is Microsoft having so many issues with the launch of this console?

They had ample time, resources to begin with.

Elios83

It's amazing how Microsoft has messed up with this product.
The icing on the cake at this point would be a higher price than PS4 announced at E3.

MS tried to use ESRAM to fix the low bandwidth of DDR3 to avoid the price of using GDDR5 & it only got them stuck in a technical shit storm that will only get worse as they try to get out of it.

GDDR5 still has some drawbacks (like their memory controllers). Just a design decision, and if this pans out to be true, is lucky for Sony at this time.

Again, the question is how bad the yields are and how that effects the total supply the first 6 months of release. That is up for the MSFT execs to figure out and us to dream about.

If they don't down clock, they most likely will get improved yields in a year or so, but supply will be shitty (possibly).

They had 8 years.

image.php

how many Wii-Us ducttaped together is the XBONE('d)

and hey, if multiplatforms gotta lower the IQ/graphics for XBONE, this speaks well for the Wii-U ports, right?

lol

truthfact.

Game set and match.

this is terrible for next gen. even if the PS4 ends up with +800 gflops, multiplatform games will still have to be designed with the limitations of the xboner in mind which is infuriating for me. it could just be like the current PC situation where the core game is limited in design by the lowest common denominator and then they just add some nice coats of paint on top for the higher end versions....

luckily, the ps4 will have their own studios to make exclusives, but it's just something i was hoping was going to be done with when we moved to next gen systems.

damn you esram for hogging up all that die space! you SOB!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I do not understand this.

Xbox 360 was released in 2005. It is 2013 now, eight years later, how is Microsoft having so many issues with the launch of this console?

They had ample time, resources to begin with.

Slightly too early r&d/target spec on the new box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom