• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch streaming coming to Xbox One March 11

I definitely like the Xbone interface more. Streaming on PS4 works fine, I just wished it looked nicer. I'm sure they'll eventually update it, hopefully it doesn't take that long though when bigger and better games start coming out.

Lynn616

Always hated when watching PS4 streams that you can see the comments at the bottom of the game window. I just want to see the game with a small video overlay of the streamers face. Looks like the X1 is doing that.

On Demand

Banned
Always hated when watching PS4 streams that you can see the comments at the bottom of the game window. I just want to see the game with a small video overlay of the streamers face. Looks like the X1 is doing that.

PS4 has a full screen option.

EDIT-

On the PS4 in order to do anything else you have to quit streaming. The XB version won't be like this?

Looks better than the ps4 version tbh.

The video looks way cleaner, plus its bigger. Also, it has chat in a logical place. The ps4 chat is moronic with only 2 lines of text, plus the chat looks better.

Hopefully sony revamps it.

What are the odds of Sony revamping the Twitch app on PS4? ._.

Lynn616

Yeah. If someone broadcast full screen that's what you'll see, no?

I have never seen one full screen. Maybe no one goes full screen or I am watching the wrong ones.

AcoRJ1G.png

Lynn616

You can already do that. Like the XB1 it's up to the user to turn that on or off.

Here's a full screen PS4 stream going on now: http://www.twitch.tv/kevzgaming

Here's a list of all PS4 streams- you can see a few are full screen: http://www.twitch.tv/directory/all/ps4

Can they go full screen and still have their face overlayed on the game?

edit:

I think I found one. I wish everyone would broadcast like that. So much better. I had never seen one and I dont stream so I didnt know they could do it.

I can see why PS4 did the 2 line bottom row thing, it's so you can see the text better as you're playing as opposed to smaller wall of text on the right side but it's really ugly.

Pain

Banned
I don't get what all the fuss is about Twitch. Twitch streams are HORRIBLE quality on PS4. Ustream is much better quality.

Lynn616

Yeah but then streamers can't interact with the audience since they can't see the chat. Still I agree, I like it better like that.

It would be better if the audience always saw it full-screen with the face overlay and the streamer sees the chat. Maybe it is like that. I might stream something later and see if it is.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I wish you could see the chat during full screen. The stuff on the side is highly unnecessary. I don't have a cam nor do I care to see how many subscribers are viewing my stream. And if I have a cam just pop it up in the corner.

Is it a matter of resources that they have to shrink the gameplay down?

Alx

I don't intend to show my face to the world while I play videogames, but I wonder if they planned to use kinect to do a "green screen" insert of the player in the game image. That would be cool.

derFeef

I wish you could see the chat during full screen. The stuff on the side is highly unnecessary. I don't have a cam nor do I care to see how many subscribers are viewing my stream.

Is it a matter of resources that they have to shrink the gameplay down?

You don't have a cam? Did you sell Kinect? ;)

Falcon511

Banned
I stream on occasions here and there. I remembered i doubled my followers by streaming some Halo Reach in one night. That was really cool. I use my elgato capture card for xbox 360 streaming. I sit right next to my PC when i stream so viewing the chat channel and such isnt an issue. Glad i can go full screen for myself since my TV is a bit small. About 20 inches.

Really excited for the March update. Cant wait for the 11th!!

Cudder

I like what Xbox is doing with the chat on the side as opposed to on the bottom like Sony. However, if the side bars are really pure white like that screen, that will suck. Streaming in the dark, or horror games for instance on the PS4 draws me out even with Gray side bars, I can't imagine how annoying a white sidebar will be. Why can't they just make all of the sidebars/border backgrounds BLACK?

too bad there's nothing like "playroom" on X1, thats where most of the entertainment comes from :p

that UI looks nice though. Joining broadcasters party doesn't make sense....

Respawn

Banned
So you could watch your friend playing and then jump straight into their game if you want to. That's cool, hope Sony implements it on PS4. The "interactive" streaming we've seen on PS4 games so far has been pretty lame.
lol. Love reading these post. Shows your devotion my friend.

Wereroku

Having Kappa automatically makes it better than the PS4's Twitch app. Fix this shit, Sony.

They probably can't. Sony's is designed to handle multiple streaming services with the same front end and software which means it has to be more generic. Microsoft's method is to have a new app for each streaming service which means they can make it more specialized but it also means it will take longer to implement new services.

They probably can't. Sony's is designed to handle multiple streaming services with the same front end and software which means it has to be more generic. Microsoft's method is to have a new app for each streaming service which means they can make it more specialized but it also means it will take longer to implement new services.

Personally I will take MS' method even if it takes longer over having everything generalized, because then each service just feels generic and boring.

Twitch isn't the same without Kappa's!

xkramz

I see what MS is doing. Same thing Apple does Sith iPhone. Leave key features so people could be hype for it later on ?

Watching streams is fun. I dont stream myself in fear of being ridiculed for sucking or my girlfriend being told to "get naked" and "show boobs".

Withnail

lol. Love reading these post. Shows your devotion my friend.

Huh? I'm a PS3/PS4 owner and no fan of Microsoft. But I'd much rather the PS4 had streaming integrated with the party system instead the current so-called 'interactivity' which is pretty much garbage.

Alx

Having Kappa automatically makes it better than the PS4's Twitch app. Fix this shit, Sony.

I'm not familiar with twitch, but what's this Kappa thing ? As google tried to tell me, it seems to be that strange face icon, but what does it mean ?

SRTtoZ

I'm not familiar with twitch, but what's this Kappa thing ? As google tried to tell me, it seems to be that strange face icon, but what does it mean ?

Its pretty much a sarcastic troll type face. Its one of the twitch guys I believe.

On Demand

Banned
Huh? I'm a PS3/PS4 owner and no fan of Microsoft. But I'd much rather the PS4 had streaming integrated with the party system instead the current so-called 'interactivity' which is pretty much garbage.

You can join anyone's game though.

I wonder how the performance is going to be. Does the XB have a dedicated chip for streaming for streaming like PS4? Or i'm guessing one of the 3 OS's will make it work smoothly.

Would other people in the room be able to say "stop broadcast" and have it effect the system, or even people in the chat? I've heard that has happened to people with Skype?

Pretty cool how they're placing such a high priority on getting all this stuff ready in time for Titanfall's launch. Literally rolling out the red carpet.

Sounds like they really thought this thing out, too. Although, I'm a bit of a twitch streaming rookie, so I may highlight things that aren't much of a big deal at all.

- Follow whoever is broadcasting by viewing their gamer card.

- Setup notifications for when one of your favorite broadcaster's are on.

- your twitch activity is updated in the friends app and activity feed of your followers.

- broadcasters can invite friends into a private party from the chat stream, allowing them to voice chat outside of the broadcast. (good they thought of this, because sometimes you might want to have a private chat with a friend without everyone else hearing what you're saying.)

- Kinect also allows you to easily include your picture-in-picture video feed and audio commentary along with the game broadcast (good - don't always want to be broadcasting my face over an online video stream.)

- Twitch chat experience, offering 10 lines in the chat stream and allowing viewers to choose their name color and post emoticons.

I think that's everything. One of the things I've always liked most about this system is how the different parts are so nicely setup to work together, some really nice integration, especially with Kinect, and this just makes that whole thing even better.

You can join anyone's game though.

I wonder how the performance is going to be. Does the XB have a dedicated chip for streaming for streaming like PS4? Or i'm guessing one of the 3 OS's will make it work smoothly.

I would like to think it doesn't impact performance of the game too much, if at all, or else that would be a bit disappointing. That said, don't games already run pretty solidly despite all the other things you can do in addition to gaming, such as with snap, or even having the game minimized on the home screen?

Alx

Would other people in the room be able to say "stop broadcast" and have it effect the system, or even people in the chat? I've heard that has happened to people with Skype?

There's always a risk of that happening, but the filtering of commands coming from the speakers seems to be quite effective.Soon after the console launch, I was watching a youtube demo of the voice commands on my laptop, and I noticed that it made the console react. Out of curiosity I ran the same video on the console's youtube app, and it never reacted to the same commands.

There's always a risk of that happening, but the filtering of commands coming from the speakers seems to be quite effective.Soon after the console launch, I was watching a youtube demo of the voice commands on my laptop, and I noticed that it made the console react. Out of curiosity I ran the same video on the console's youtube app, and it never reacted to the same commands.

What's more, it helps if you don't have troublemakers in your house also. :p

Then again, I think that's what Kinect's camera is for also. It can tell who is speaking, can it not? So, maybe if it doesn't spot the person signed in and in control giving a command, it will probably ignore any other voice command. Still, that's kind of tricky if the mouth of the signed in user is moving at the same time someone else is giving a command. Not really a perfect solution, but then this is what the keywords are for, to cut down on situations like this. It would be interesting if we were later able to create our own custom keyword that told the xbox when to start listening, or some kind of voice command password to lock or unlock the listen ability when you feel like it.

Top Bottom