• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch.tv update imposes delay up to 60s in streams, viewer interaction impacted

This mainly affects the small channels where a chat's vocabulary can go beyond Kappa faces, where individual player-chatter conversations can go into detail and specifics. In other words: the channels Twitch no longer has any reason to care about.

Pretty much. It butchers any attempts for the streamer to interact with the chat, which is imperative for smaller streams where they need the bring in regular viewers to grow. Streams where the streamer lets the viewers make some choices, or take requests or whatever are also an absolute nightmare because they have to wait for up to a minute before the first answers can even start coming in - which in turn means the viewers have a whole minute of dead screentime.

But then the massive LoL/Dota/speedrun streams that bring in the big ad revenue which Twitch cares about don't have any chat interaction anyway, so why would it matter about the little guy?

BigDug13

So PC gamers who have enjoyed using this service for years have had their experience demolished because the service got opened up to all next gen consoles and therefore a shittier but more scalable format had to be chosen, and now nobody has a good experience at all on twitch?

This doesn't seem like it has anybody in the winner's spot of this scenario.

Mesoian

So PC gamers who have enjoyed using this service for years have had their experience demolished because the service got opened up to all next gen consoles and therefore a shittier but more scalable format had to be chosen, and now nobody has a good experience at all on twitch?

Pretty much. Expect it to get worse in the coming months. Remember, XBone's streaming functionality hasn't even been turned on yet.

So YouTube and Twitch both suck.... now what? Huh?

God I can't believe YouTube. It's getting to the point that I'm looking at alternatives. It just keeps getting worse.

When 1080p video first came out I could view it just fine.

Then that started stuttering, so I switched to 720p. That worked fine for quite a while.

Now it's so bad that it doesn't matter if it's 1080p or 240p, shit sometimes just won't load at all. I rage when I'm desperately trying to watch a 10 second video at 360p and just can't get it to load. And I can't even let it preload anymore like it used to. It automatically stops preloading so many seconds ahead of the current point.

I like to watch gameplay videos in bed on my tablet sometimes before I fall asleep. I got so frustrated with youtube a couple of nights ago that I actually installed the damn dailymotion app (first alternative that came to mind, couldnt remember any others as I laid in bed). It worked better.

I can download a torrent at 1.5 megabytes a second but I can't watch a damn movie trailer on youtube. Fuck youtube.

If I remember correctly, Vimeo does HD pretty smoothly the few times I've used it. Do they have a lot of content?

FranXico

God I can't believe YouTube. It's getting to the point that I'm looking at alternatives. It just keeps getting worse. [...]

Personally, under Windows 8, I installed Hyper and just download whatever I want to watch. It's faster than trying to stream it several times in a row.

Personally, under Windows 8, I installed Hyper and just download whatever I want to watch. It's faster than trying to stream it several times in a row.

I've got a video downloader in Chrome that I use to download things from Youtube from time to time, when it's being a bitch but I really want to see it. But I wish I didn't have to resort to that.

This really didn't have much to do with the consoles. Twitch was buckling hard way before any of the new load from the next-gen systems came out.

I think the admins and coders at Twitch definitely are going to be working to mitigate the lag. I agree that it really does hurt interactive streams (which are some of the most popular).

tafer

Saltybet has been suffering from this bullshit for days. The random delays means that you have to constantly refresh the stream or suffer the nasty consequences. (And sometimes even refreshing isn't enough)

Mesoian

There are no fighting games being streamed on hitbox.tv

I will try and rectify that tonight, even though I am not very good at anything.

http://www.hitbox.tv/Mesoian

Edit: Oh hey, what ever happened to GAF getting the Twitch association licence thingy? Did that just shrivel up?

This is going to kill MANvsGAME style shows, which is actually the majority of the streamers I watch. I don't participate much in chat but the shows just wouldn't be the same if the caster isn't playing off of the chat. Already established guys may do alright but new guys and up and comers trying to build an audience don't have a chance if they're unable to effectively interact with their viewers.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
This is like when a group of idiots manage to have a really good idea.

They seriously don't seem to have any idea how to run this.

Give it a few months and they'll be banning face cams as a follow up to their "strictly video game streaming only" rule.

Nabs

I'll give Hitbox another try later down the line. I tried it a few weeks back and got hit with a ton of visual glitches. It just couldn't keep up with the game.

Neiteio

hq82.png

A 60 second delay? Impacted! Rendered unusable!!
Two questions:

Who's the smug guy in black and white? I see that, uh, emoticon all the time. Always makes me laugh. :)

Also, where do people get these tiny reaction images?

There are no fighting games being streamed on hitbox.tv

I will try and rectify that tonight, even though I am not very good at anything.

Edit: Oh hey, what ever happened to GAF getting the Twitch association licence thingy? Did that just shrivel up?

Cool, you should post a link in the fighting games weekly thread when you go live.

Venfayth

Seems like it got huge this year. Don't worry, you're not alone. I too would rather play games then watch someone else enjoy them.

It's not like when people feel like playing games they watch Twitch instead, that's not how it works; I don't know why people say this.

Two questions:

Who's the smug guy in black and white? I see that, uh, emoticon all the time. Always makes me laugh. :)

He's a former justin.tv employee. Most of the early face emoticons are. He's making a funny smirking expression so it caught on as a sarcasm/trolling emoticon.

Zemm

Two questions:

some random twitch employee (or was) as far as I know and it's basically the twitch version of troll face now. Twitch put them up and if you type /Kappa in the chat it'll show I think, dunno as I've never used that one.

Zemm

I am streaming right now http://www.hitbox.tv/Nokterian

Please provide some feedback and or comments just doing some testing!

Quality and stream is perfect.

Really surprised by the hitbox.tv stuff, the problem is getting the main streamers moving over and they'll only do that as long as they can get subscription/ad money which is completely understandable. How are hitbox for that?

Pretty much, although Twitch wasn't exactly great before the new consoles, but it has got worse since to the point they've needed to implement this new software. Thing is though the PS4 streams are dead now the novelty has worn off, it's peak on a Friday and the highest viewing stream has 240 people.

Tehalemi

Looks pretty slick. However, according to them, the service is only a couple months old. Wonder how it will handle a heavy user load.

They will adapt and get better, they have to. D:

Also, last time I checked a few weeks ago Kappa on Hitbox actually renders a different emote than a guy's face.
It's an emote of sushi I believe.
I like the love and increase in awareness Hitbox has been getting lately. Definitely a potential alternative if it lasts. :3

hitbox.tv doesn't let you put underscores in your username. I wanted to use the same name as on twitch but I guess emp_nemos_paypal_chargeback will have to stay a twitch only thing

Top Bottom