• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two muslims women expelled from a french restaurant, called "terrorists".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elandyll

Banned
Beside the deserved really really bad PR, what he did is obviously breaking the law in France. In fact, probably several, but in particular in the penal code articles 225-1 and 225-2, with a punishment attached of up to 45.000 euros and 3 years in prison...

Why were those two women kicked out of the restaurant? Because there are people who were afraid that they might be terrorists.

Was there any evidence or sign that they could be terrorists? No, there wasn't.

The 'phobia' label is completely appropriate since it's clearly caused by irrational fear.

It's obvious the man felt no real threat or else he would of called the cops, I just think he was acting like jerk here, he's in the wrong, no doubt about that.

I understand how terrible this situation is, but don't you guys think tacking on phobia to anything people don't like or agree with is a little tired and unnecessary?

a) no

b) why

c) lmao "anything people don't like or agree with" when referring to the existence of human beings as the "anything"

Anon1210651188-ChineseAndDogsAreNotAllowed353087_lg.jpg

hmm reminds me of this

Racism is a fucking epidemic of mankind

Why were those two women kicked out of the restaurant? Because there are people who were afraid that they might be terrorists.

Was there any evidence or sign that they could be terrorists? No, there wasn't.

The 'phobia' label is completely appropriate since it's clearly caused by irrational fear.

Ehrmm...it's not appropriate. A true "islamophobia" would be hate towards muslims without anything to sustain such fear. No terrorists attacks, no personal trauma, no nothing, just pure and unadultered hate for a different religion.

There is a reason for the fear and hate the restaurant owner displayed and that is the terrorists attacks perpetrated by radical islamists. People in general are not islamophobes, nor bigots or haters: they are victims of terror, and terror can make people do and say the most unthinkable things in order to stay safe or "get rid" of said terror. In that regard, the terrorists have accomplished their objective. They've won. =/

Not surprising.

Not because of recent events regarding muslims and French society, but because historically speaking French society has always had an issue with minorities.

Ehrmm...it's not appropriate. A true "islamophobia" would be hate towards muslims without anything to sustain such fear. No terrorists attacks, no personal trauma, no nothing, just pure and unadultered hate for a different religion.

There is a reason for the fear and hate the restaurant owner displayed and that is the terrorists attacks perpetrated by radical islamists. People in general are not islamophobes, nor bigots or haters: they are victims of terror, and terror can make people do and say the most unthinkable things in order to stay safe or "get rid" of said terror. In that regard, the terrorists have accomplished their objective. They've won. =/

You're assuming that because there were terrorist attacks that it means their fear is justified, when in actuality, terrorist attacks only show that something happened. The terrorist acts on their own do not prove that every single muslim is a terrorist. It is still islamophobia in the sense that you're taking an irrational stance based on an assumption that a person falls under a group regardless of whether or not they've perpetrated attacks.

kaitain19

The restaurant owner literally said that because the terrorists are muslims, that means all muslims must be terrorists. Is that not an example of pure unadultered hate toward Islam?

Those women clearly didn't do anything that would threaten him, that means his fear is completely unjustified.

So yes, this is definitely Islamophobia.

This guy.

Every racism or bigotry have always fondements, a justification.
You won't find any hate who is just "pure and unadulterated hate for a different religion/race/sexuality". This is such a naive way to understand racism. Racism always take root in a specific mindset that associate everything that a member of a particular group do as representative of the whole group. So it doesn't matter that most terrorist attack are not made by muslims, when a muslim is responsible for an attack, the whole group will be targeted as terrorist by the racist mindset. Just go on any website that is committed to spread hate from the far-right movement, you'll find constant searching of every incident or evil that could come from any possible minority.

But if a white man or a christian do the same thing, it won't happen.

You're twisting yourself into knots in order to defend paranoid bigotry.

You're assuming that because there were terrorist attacks that it means their fear is justified, when in actuality, terrorist attacks only show that something happened. The terrorist acts on their own do not prove that every single muslim is a terrorist. It is still islamophobia in the sense that you're taking an irrational stance based on an assumption that a person falls under a group regardless of whether or not they've perpetrated attacks.
I think you misunderstood my point. What I'm trying to say is that if there were no terrorists attacks, there wouldn't be fear nor hate (or would be far less probable) towards islamic people in general (there will always be a minority of bigots but that's beside the point). However, it were those terrorist attacks that installed the irrational fear for islam onto the general population. That is not a phobia "per-se", but a kind of... ptsd? I don't know.

Sai-kun

Banned
I think you misunderstood my point. What I'm trying to say is that if there were no terrorists attacks, there wouldn't be fear nor hate (or would be far less probable) towards islamic people in general. However, it were those terrorist attacks that installed the irrational fear for islam onto the general population. That is not a phobia "per-se", but a kind of... ptsd? I don't know.

how do homophobia and transphobia exist

I think you misunderstood my point. What I'm trying to say is that if there were no terrorists attacks, there wouldn't be fear nor hate (or would be far less probable) towards islamic people in general. However, it were those terrorist attacks that installed the irrational fear for islam onto the general population. That is not a phobia "per-se", but a kind of... ptsd? I don't know.

Calling this PTSD is an affront to those that actually suffer from PTSD. Good grief, man. There's no justification for this.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Has there ever be a "hate" in this world that stemmed literally from nothing? Even the most bigoted, racist person must have a reason to hate the people they're bigoted and racist towards, even when that reason can be very well be just nonsense.

Speaking of which, you're talking flowery language but in the end all you typed about were that, just a bunch of nonsense.

This guy.

Every racism or bigotry have always fondements, a justification.
You won't find any hate who is just "pure and unadulterated hate for a different religion/race/sexuality". This is such a naive way to understand racism. Racism always take root in a specific mindset that associate everything that a member of a particular group do as representative of the whole group. So it doesn't matter that most terrorist attack are not made by muslims, when a muslim is responsible for an attack, the whole group will be targeted as terrorist by the racist mindset. Just go on any website that is committed to spread hate from the far-right movement, you'll find constant searching of every incident or evil that could come from any possible minority.

But if a white man or a christian do the same thing, it won't happen.
Most terrorist attack in France on the last 5 years where not made my Islamic terrorist?
Show me the receipts...

Some spiders are poisonous.

Ergo, arachnophobia does not exist.

I think you misunderstood my point. What I'm trying to say is that if there were no terrorists attacks, there wouldn't be fear nor hate (or would be far less probable) towards islamic people in general (there will always be a minority of bigots but that's beside the point). However, it were those terrorist attacks that installed the irrational fear for islam onto the general population. That is not a phobia "per-se", but a kind of... ptsd? I don't know.

I didn't misunderstand anything. The underlying argument I was making is that you're focusing too much on the terrorist attacks on its own, and less on how people have created the irrational reasoning behind disliking a particular group (Muslims in this case). Terrorist attacks don't justify the belief that every single Muslim in the world is a terrorist, so creating that explanation falls apart very quickly, so as long as that's the case, it will always be irrational and thus a phobia. Furthermore, your reasoning makes even less sense when you start to compare this line of reasoning to other phobias like homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, etc as Sai-kun noted. So by that logic, some minorities engage in crime = racism is justified? Some gays broke people's expectations of gender and sex = homophobia is justified? Lastly, calling this ptsd is laughable considering ptsd is completely different from what you're trying to explain (not to mention, disrespectful to people who suffer from ptsd).

What I'm trying to say is that if they live in France, they should subscribe to the local culture as close as possible in public in order to avoid conflict.

It's, for example, like going to Iran or Russia with an american flag, speak american english out loud and still be confident that you won't be frown upon (at the very least), or go to the "boca" neighbourhood in Buenos Aires wearing a River Plate t-shirt: it's just asking for trouble.
You mean you should become a racist bigot to live peacefully in France?

Most terrorist attack in France on the last 5 years where not made my Islamic terrorist?
Show me the receipts...

I didn't speak about France but the world in general. Islamophobia existed in France since a very long time, it didn't wait the terrorists attacks. The people who are now expressing racist are just using those attack as justifications for their long time hatred.
After 9/11, Muslim were attacked and called terrorists in France even if no terrorist attacks occurred from 2000 to 2010.

And i don't consider ISIS to be muslims. They can claim what they want but i doubt that most christians consider that KKK are christians, even if they have big crosses and speak about Christ all the time.
Muslims who get attacked and discriminated by bigots are not even considered to be muslims by those terrorists groups.

how do homophobia and transphobia exist
Truly? I don't know. Those are the phobias that truly are made of pure unadultered hate towards different people. There isn't even a single reason I can recall of that could justify that behavior.

Calling this PTSD is an affront to those that actually suffer from PTSD. Good grief, man. There's no justification for this.
I'm not justifying it, but trying to understand and explain it. I thought of ptsd because I've seen in my own country how the act of just a handful of terrorists could label an entire people because of the trauma such acts of terror inflicted on the general population. The victims were the general population AND the inocent people that was unjustly labeled for what those handful of terrorists did. Those traumas (like burning a family alive) are not easily forgotten by the general population and are the reason for that hate.

In France is happening exactly the same and the winners are still the terrorists.

I didn't misunderstand anything. The underlying argument I was making is that you're focusing too much on the terrorist attacks on its own, and less on how people have created the irrational reasoning behind disliking a particular group (Muslims in this case). Terrorist attacks don't justify the belief that every single Muslim in the world is a terrorist, so creating that explanation falls apart very quickly, so as long as that's the case, it will always be irrational and thus a phobia.
Ok, maybe I'm lost somewhere here, because, for what I've understood, every fear is irrational per-se, so there is no point in understanding that fear, but what triggered it and that's why I focus on the attacks.

Personally, I have absolutely nothing against muslims (heck, I even like some of their views), but that's just me, not the general population. The masses are very suceptible to events that alter their way of life in a radical way even if its for just moment.

I didn't speak about France but the world in general. Islamophobia existed in France since a very long time, it didn't wait the terrorists attacks. The people who are now expressing racist are just using those attack as justifications for their long time hatred.
After 9/11, Muslim were attacked and called terrorists in France even if no terrorist attacks occurred from 2000 to 2010.

And i don't consider ISIS to be muslims. They can claim what they want but i doubt that most christians consider that KKK are christians, even if they have big crosses and speak about Christ all the time.

Kkk are Christian terrorist as the Westboro baptist church and IRA.
Isis is a Muslim terror organization like Al-Qeada and the GIA

Those stats are alone either USA centered or not taking into account the number of victims which is disingenuous.

Truly? I don't know. Those are the phobias that truly are made of pure unadultered hate towards different people. There isn't even a single reason I can recall of that could justify that behavior.

My grandmother believe that it's unsafe to let them with little childrens. It's totally absurd but i am sure you'll be able to find as many case of pedophilia from homosexuals as you'll find terrorist acts from muslims, in proportions.
People forget that less than 0.000001 % of muslims are terrorists. If it's not a irrational fear i don't know how to call it. As a muslim in France, i am as afraid of anyone to get killed by a terrorist attack.

Conclusion ? All bigotry is nonsensical and based on irrational fear. The terrorists even shave their beard so they won't even look like muslims. But it's the peaceful grandpa who get targeted on his way to the mosque, or the girls eating at the restaurant.
And the terrorists groups want that. It's pretty clear if you read their "literature".

Those stats are alone either USA centered or not taking into account the number of victims which is disingenuous.

No they are not. There is a lot of christian or buddhist terror organization that you probably never heard about. Like Lord's army or the Anti Balaka who are comitting ethnical cleansing, or :

buddhism_cover_0701.jpg

His group alone killed more people than ISIS and Al Qaida together.

No they are not. There is a lot of christian or buddhist terror organization that you probably never heard about. Like Lord's army or the Anti Balaka who are comitting ethnical cleansing, or :

buddhism_cover_0701.jpg

Really ? That's quite a claim to make given the tens of thousands of victims of ISIS and Al Qaida. The press likes to throw around phrases like 'most persecuted group in the world' with regards to the Rohingya but the death toll is not remotely close to that.

Really ? That's quite a claim to make given the tens of thousands of victims of ISIS and Al Qaida. The press likes to throw around phrases like 'most persecuted group in the world' with regards to the Rohingya but the death toll is not remotely close to that.

I shouldn't had include Al Qaida in the statement but ISIS definitely, i was not able to find a good source about how Birmania muslims were killed by the group by it's definitely in the thousands, it's difficult to tell since it's totally forbidden to go in the zone where the killing occure, even for humanitarian groups, and it's classified as a genocide in "extermination" phase by Genocide Watch.

buddhism_cover_0701.jpg

Then you have a consistency issue:
If you can say: ISIS is not really muslim, what stop anyone to deflect via the good old "not true Scotsman " fallacy?

Then you have a consistency issue:
If you can say: ISIS is not really muslim, what stop anyone to deflect via the good old "not true Scotsman " fallacy?

I was saying in that post that they are not taking in the study i linked only in account the US or the amount of deaths like you said.
I agree that you have actually a lot of muslims terrorists groups in the world, but you have to admit that it's always related to a military conflict and the muslims world have their share of military conflict. Terrorism don't grow in country like Malaysia or Senegal but in country like Irak or Afghanistan, who were in conflict or occupation the last 35 years. You can actually make a map of world conflict zone just by highlighting the oil reserve in the world.

Academically i agree that ISIS or Al Qaida are muslims since they claim they are. From a muslim and theological point of view, they are not and most of our scholars feels that way. They are deemed as "Kharijites" and thus unbelievers.

I shouldn't had include Al Qaida in the statement but ISIS definitely, i was not able to find a good source about how Birmania muslims were killed by the groups by it's definitely in the thousands, and it's classified as a genocide in "extermination" phase by Genocide Watch.

That article mentions persecution starting in 1978 when Asin Wirathu, the guy in your picture was 10 years old. Did he already mastermind ISIS level violence as a child ?

That article mentions persecution starting in 1978 when Asin Wirathu, the guy in your picture was 10 years old. Did he already mastermind ISIS level violence as a child ?

Historical context.
The article speak about the general plight of the Rohingya, not this specific group leader.

Historical context.
The article speak about the general plight of the Rohingya, not this specific group leader.

But your claim is: "His group alone killed more people than ISIS and Al Qaida together."

How big is his group and how many have they killed ? How many more groups like his are there ? If your claim that just this one Buddhist terror group outdoes ISIS in bodycount is true then that is a huge issue.

Or your claim is completely made up to make islamist terror seem less terrible.

But your claim is: "His group alone killed more people than ISIS and Al Qaida together."

How big is his group and how many have they killed ? How many more groups like his are there ? If your claim that just this one Buddhist terror group outdoes ISIS in bodycount is true then that is a huge issue.

Or your claim is completely made up to make islamist terror seem less terrible.

I wonder if you'll make the same comment if i was not muslim. I guess not.

Why would i would have this intention since muslims are the primary victims of these groups (80 percent actually)? Are muslims more inclined to terrorism in your views? If not, why treat muslims terrorists groups as worst than any other terrorists groups?

By the report we have from Birmania from the last 4 years, this group is actively making a genocide against the muslim birmans. It's impossible to have journalists there and up to 100.000 forced to exile. We have reports of massacres but, unlike ISIS, the terrorist group is not advertising their crimes but have openly said that they will kill and expel all muslims from Birmania.

So yes, it's more likely that they killed more than ISIS. I don't know in what sense that make them less horrible ISIS anyway. ISIS would do the same if they were actually used as an auxiliary force by a government to conduct a genocide, like this buddhist terrorist group. What is striking is the world silence about this issue, US even said that it was not a genocide.

It's like saying that Assad killed more than ISIS and Al Qaida together, and that it's totally true and can be easily demonstrated and i don't know in what sense it's make some apology to the two terrors groups.

Jumeira

Banned

Treating them as one group and being fearful of them is dangerous. At least you seem to understand irrationality is present, which is one of the key components of phobias. Your almost there, just stop grouping peaceful people as collaborators of terrorism then you'll be free from your narrow viewpoint. Lots of Muslims are being targeted for events they've not been responsible for and have also been the victims of. Remember Muslims are the largest victims of terrorism. Extremist don't care, and believe moderate Muslims are infidels.

Some spiders are poisonous.

Ergo, arachnophobia does not exist.
Well said.

I wonder if you'll make the same comment if i was not muslim. I guess not.

Why would i would have this intention since muslims are the primary victims of these groups (80 percent actually)? Are muslims more inclined to terrorism in your views? If not, why treat muslims terrorists groups as worst than any other terrorists groups?

I'd consider the number of people killed for being the wrong religion to be the main measurement of which religious terror group is the worst. And you can't make a lack of information proof that X must be greater then Y as we know little about X.
I can claim just as easily that far more Buddhists were murdered by Muslims in Burma. There has been an insurgency there since the 1940's to join first East Pakistan and now Bangladesh.

I'd consider the number of people killed for being the wrong religion to be the main measurement of which religious terror group is the worst. And you can't make a lack of information proof that X must be greater then Y as we know little about X.
I can claim just as easily that far more Buddhists were murdered by Muslims in Burma. There has been an insurgency there since the 1940's to join first East Pakistan and now Bangladesh.

So you are actually denying the genocide and buying into the Burma narrative about the situation, against all the report of Amnesty International and humans rights groups ?

Beside the deserved really really bad PR, what he did is obviously breaking the law in France. In fact, probably several, but in particular in the penal code articles 225-1 and 225-2, with a punishment attached of up to 45.000 euros and 3 years in prison...

I'm glad France has laws to punish this kind of thing properly.

Dalibor68

Banned
Very disturbing. The best thing is to film these incidents and publicize them and/or go to the police with it, so good that happened in this case.

What's also disturbing is Golden Pigeons tendency to use these incidents/threads to bolster his victimization of Islam itself.

Alx

Very disturbing. The best thing is to film these incidents and publicize them and/or go to the police with it, so good that happened in this case.

What's also disturbing is Golden Pigeons tendency to use these incidents/threads to bolster his victimization of Islam itself.

Which is probably why publicizing such isolated incidents isn't a great idea, it will raise tensions more than solve anything.
Guy has been racist towards customers, the French law protects them and will punish the guy if they file a complaint. So the system works, there's no need for outrage. It's not like he's the first racist in the country, nor the last.

Dalibor68

Banned
Which is probably why publicizing such isolated incidents isn't a great idea, it will raise tensions more than solve anything.
Guy has been racist towards customers, the French law protects them and will punish the guy if they file a complaint. So the system works, there's no need for outrage. It's not like he's the first racist in the country, nor the last.
You're right. I didnt mean publicize as in shame them live on national TV but maybe share it on FB (with censored faces) or show it to friends who usually are not confronted with that kind of thing happening.

It's a relevant news and was broadcasted by BBC and the like, so what you're problem ?

I am french and actually concerned by rampant islamophobia, but i certainly understand why you don't want to have to confront it.

And BTW, Islam is a religion so it cannot be "victimized", i care about actual people getting discriminated because of their beliefs, being muslims or otherwise.

At the contrary, it's sharing it and generate general outrage that will prevent this kind of event to be normalized. Without the shitstorm the guy is receiving, he would think that was a normal thing to do.

Every antiracist group adopt this as a strategy, to publicize the cases of discriminations, to generate empathy. If this is not done, only the targeted group is concerned by racism.

Alx

At the contrary, it's sharing it and generate general outrage that will prevent this kind of event to be normalized. Without the shitstorm the guy is receiving, he would think that was a normal thing to do.

With a fine of several thousands of euros, I doubt he would still think it's a normal thing to do. While being harassed on the internet is probably not the best way to become more tolerant.
If you want to address the issue of racist events in the country, then ask journalists/police to do a large scale study of such events and talk about that, don't focus on a single occurence. That's being rational. Being emotional is what created such community issues to begin with.

With a fine of several thousands of euros, I doubt he would still think it's a normal thing to do. While being harassed on the internet is probably not the best way to become more tolerant.
If you want to address the issue of racist events in the country, then ask journalists/police to do a large scale study of such events and talk about that, don't focus on a single occurence. That's being rational. Being emotional is what created such community issues to begin with.

So you feel the same about reporting any kind of hate crime or only against muslims?

There is a lot of studies about islamophobia in France as a general phenomena, but it's doesn't speak to people as actual case.

Dalibor68

Banned
It's a relevant news and was broadcasted by BBC and the like, so what you're problem ?

I am french and actually concerned by rampant islamophobia, but i certainly understand why you don't want to have to confront it.
My problem is that amongst your Erdogan defense in the other thread you seem to make use of these incidents by using it as an islamophobia shield. As we all agree here, there is no defending these racists in this case. And the latrst terror attacks don't make this outright hateful behavior ok either.

Yet we're not living in a contextless bubble, there are problems with Islam that have become very obvious in europe. A move in the right direction would be to have a conversation about how to make it (work) better in our societies, not throw down any attempt by self-victimization and islamophobia claims. Because by doing that, as a big part of the (western) european left has done for a long time until recently, you leave the topic entirely to the far-right which again fuels anti-muslim sentiment.

Of course I do, why would I single out muslims ?

Any example of thread where you did the same about reporting an attack against a minority ?

I swear i read a lot of thread about racist or bigoted incident on GAF but it's only on the muslims thread that we get some "mixed" and "call for comprehension"..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom