• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two muslims women expelled from a french restaurant, called "terrorists".

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.O.O.

heh, guy probably searched the name of his restaurant on google

HArtXFc.jpg

"I just called : "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I lost it yesterday, I apologize to the Muslim world. I don't know what got into me, if you're a muslim you are welcome, I apologized to the ladies after that..."

Hmmmm, he saw he lost his turnover or something ?"

also opening a business in Seine-Saint Denis when you're a racist is a really stupid thing to do

Erigu

According to this, the guy met with some Muslims from the neighborhood and apologized, explaining that he lost a friend in the Bataclan attack.

DrFurbs

There must be a real air of fear in France for people to act to reactionary.

Maybe this is a time for moderate Islam to try calm fears.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm sure he was just trying to protect them from their oppressive culture.

This piss me off immensely. The terrorists want nothing more than spread the notion that muslims and westerners are locked in a deathmatch, and thoses bigots are happy to oblige them...

Well what that guy did was generalize the behaviour of a handful to a whole population. You just did it, too.

Germany was very much subject to the same kinds of attacks, but greater social sentiment didn't sour towards Muslims. The general consensus is still that immigration is an important aspect of their society. The French have a long history of discrimination thinly veiled as 'cultural protectionism'.

RK9039

HArtXFc.jpg

"I just called : "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I lost it yesterday, I apologize to the Muslim world. I don't know what got into me, if you're a muslim you are welcome, I apologized to the ladies after that..."

also opening a business in Seine-Saint Denis when you're a racist is a really stupid thing to do

Hah, get wrecked m8.

Koren

There must be a real air of fear in France for people to act to reactionary.
I don't think it's representative of the general mood (and I hope it's not, this case is just stupid).

Plently of summer events have been cancelled for security reasons, though :/

Maybe this is a time for moderate Islam to try calm fears.
It's always time for more moderate religions, but I don't think "calming fears" is a sound reason.

G.O.O.

a few things about islamophobia in France => it is real, and this kind of stuff isn't rare at all. Reactions in Nice after the truck attack were horrifying. However we have quite an important muslim community and you need to understand that we live with them in good terms. Mostly.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/07/19/5-facts-about-the-muslim-population-in-europe/

So please keep that in mind before making conclusions on the entire country. Islamophobia concerns me of course, but not as much as the dramatic losses of freedom

...and this type of behavior is what happens when two extremely different cultures clashes. There's a reason for the old saying "When in Rome, do as romans do"; reason that held true a thousand years ago as it is true today: to keep everyone in peace and not create a cultural clash.

Permanently A

The scary part is, what about all the smart racists who don't make fools of themselves and manifest their racism in smarter ways, like spitting in or contaminating their food?

...and this type of behavior is what happens when two extremely different cultures clashes. There's a reason for the old saying "When in Rome, do as romans do"; reason that held true a thousand years ago as it is true today: to keep everyone in peace and not create a cultural clash.

france has freedom of religion last I checked

So when in Rome don't be visually Muslim?

Koodo

Banned
You mean to say these innocent women should subscribe to a French culture that has been historically responsible for genocides and regional destabilization?

Or perhaps you were trying to say something else?

Exactly what ISIS wants after all of their attacks in France. Create hostility and instability to further push their propaganda. It's wrong that they think this but if this keeps up, those who aren't intelligent enough to have any form of critical thinking will end up with the same mentality. I feel for those people as a lot of them do believe these things out of fear, especially if they have lost someone in this mess.

I also feel for the muslim or anyone of ethnic background in France, as they will suffer the same form of racism.

Best wishes.

You mean to say these innocent women should subscribe to a French culture that has been historically responsible for genocides and regional destabilization?

Or perhaps you were trying to say something else?

What I'm trying to say is that if they live in France, they should subscribe to the local culture as close as possible in public in order to avoid conflict.

It's, for example, like going to Iran or Russia with an american flag, speak american english out loud and still be confident that you won't be frown upon (at the very least), or go to the "boca" neighbourhood in Buenos Aires wearing a River Plate t-shirt: it's just asking for trouble.

Llyranor

What I'm trying to say is that if they live in France, they should subscribe to the local culture as close as possible in public in order to avoid conflict.

It's, for example, like going to Iran or Russia with an american flag, speak american english out loud and still be confident that you won't be frown upon (at the very least), or go to the "boca" neighbourhood in Buenos Aires wearing a River Plate t-shirt: it's just asking for trouble.

The local culture of France is freedom of religion.

You're not exactly painting France in a good light here with those comparisons...sounds more like a totalitarian state that you'd be happy with where everyone has to act a certain way so no one gets hurt. These muslims were just asking for trouble, right?

Permanently A

today I learned Iran has freedom of religion

Were at the stage where being visibly Muslim, in public is asking akin for trouble in the form of racist abuse.

Yep.

You're not exactly painting France in a good light here with those comparisons...sounds more like a totalitarian state that you'd be happy with where everyone has to act a certain way so no one gets hurt. These muslims were just asking for trouble, right?

Yes and no. Yes, they were "in danger" in the sense that with all the turmoil the recent attacks created in France, it's no wonder the rest of the people would see them with anger and hate.

No, in the sense that in "normal times" (i.e. no recent terrorists attacks) they should be and dress however they like, as the rest of the people wouldn't have the terrorist attacks so present in their collective memory and wouldn't criticize them or ban them from any place out of fear/hate.

It's sad, but right now, terrorists have won.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
"All muslims are terrorists". Wow, nice logic...

HArtXFc.jpg

lol, very believable apology. I guess it's better than doubling down but yeaaaah. Fuck this guy and his restaurant.

It's crazy to see how much argentinians seems to have trouble to understand the realities of Europe today. (Uruguayans are the same, i have uruguayan heritage)

Muslims are not foreigners in France, most of muslims are here from 3 generations, as Italians are in Buenos Aires. Yet you know that Argentinians have no issue feel pride of being from italian/spanish descent and actively maintaining certain cultural traits like the foods or even the accent. Even worst, if you look like indigenous you'll get discriminated in Argentina. You have italian and spanish club all over buenos aires and montevideo, and nobody is saying that they are not "integrating".

Without mentioning the facts that islam is a religion and not a nationality. I am muslim and i am no arab, and i know a lot of french converts. They should stop to practice islam because "when in Rome..." ? They ARE Romans. Freedom of religion and ultimately freedom itself is about being free to express and act differently from the majority.

Hypron

Not surprised at all. Growing up in both the east and centre of France I got to witness a lot of racism against Arabs. Those people probably just extended that bigotry to Muslims in general (they might even think both are the same).

Opto

Banned
France, you guys are acting in a way that are making the people who tried to get "freedom fries" in the vernacular look at you kindly.

Angel_DvA

Racist people are racist, nothing new here, those people are still a minority though, you can't judge a nation because some people are asshole.

As of 11 April 2011, it is illegal to wear a face-covering veil or other mask in public places such as the street, shops, museums, public transportation, and parks. Veils such as the chador, scarves and other headwear that do not cover the face, are not affected by this law and can be worn.

As a result of the law, the only exceptions to a woman wearing a niqāb in public will be if she is travelling in a private car or worshiping in a religious place. French police say that while there are five million Muslims in France, fewer than 2,000 are thought to fully cover their faces with a veil.

The law was challenged and taken to the European Court of Human Rights which upheld the French law on 1 July 2014, accepting the argument of the French government that the law was based on "a certain idea of living together".

RK9039

As of 11 April 2011, it is illegal to wear a face-covering veil or other mask in public places such as the street, shops, museums, public transportation, and parks. Veils such as the chador, scarves and other headwear that do not cover the face, are not affected by this law and can be worn.

As a result of the law, the only exceptions to a woman wearing a niqāb in public will be if she is travelling in a private car or worshiping in a religious place. French police say that while there are five million Muslims in France, fewer than 2,000 are thought to fully cover their faces with a veil.

The law was challenged and taken to the European Court of Human Rights which upheld the French law on 1 July 2014, accepting the argument of the French government that the law was based on "a certain idea of living together".

They were wearing head scarves.

Yes and no. Yes, they were "in danger" in the sense that with all the turmoil the recent attacks created in France, it's no wonder the rest of the people would see them with anger and hate.

No, in the sense that in "normal times" (i.e. no recent terrorists attacks) they should be and dress however they like, as the rest of the people wouldn't have the terrorist attacks so present in their collective memory and wouldn't criticize them or ban them from any place out of fear/hate.

It's sad, but right now, terrorists have won.
We don't know when we'll get to normal times, could be a decade more, so until then I'd rather we focus on stamping out discrimination and hatred rather than "[insert an activity here] while muslim" and victim blame innocents for the actions of a few. If we let racists continue like this, yes they're only helping the terrorists' cause. One of ISIS' actual goals is to cause enough hatred of muslims in western countries so that more muslims join their cause in a sense of anger.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

So what you're saying is, the women asked for it.

I understand how terrible this situation is, but don't you guys think tacking on phobia to anything people don't like or agree with is a little tired and unnecessary?

BigDes

They weren't wearing veils

kaitain19

I understand how terrible this situation is, but don't you guys think tacking on phobia to anything people don't like or agree with is a little tired and unnecessary?

Why were those two women kicked out of the restaurant? Because there are people who were afraid that they might be terrorists.

Was there any evidence or sign that they could be terrorists? No, there wasn't.

The 'phobia' label is completely appropriate since it's clearly caused by irrational fear.

Kurdel

Banned

Did you read the OP?

Shit head restaurant owner said:
Madam, the terrorists are muslims and all the terrorists are muslims. This sentence explain it all. Analyse it.

Don't you think he is afraid of muslims?

and some people wonder why certain liberals or whomever aren't too keen on demonizing a religion that is peacefully practiced by so few in so many places throughout the world, and usually by minorities. it leads to shitty behavior like this, among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom