• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Rise of the Tomb Raider sells <60k units at launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

novablue

Banned
I don't think so, and I doubt the sales numbers for the game were very good at all. But that seemed like more of a primer to prepare the audience for SFV than expectations of it doing particularly strong numbers by itself.

We rarely get numbers for digital sales, so I wouldn't expect so. However, in the case of Housemarque I don't necessarily think that they would not be supporting the Xbone, but rather that the vast majority of their work comes from Sony. I got the impression that Matterfall is a Housemarque IP so it might go to platforms other than the PS4, like Outland did (a Ubisoft IP).

Thanks man, it's shame really. I just think that the PS4 and X1 will only have a handful of true exclusives that will break the 1 million quota.

Hasney

they'll make up the sales when the launch on the platforms the last game sold most on.

I can't imagine the PS4 version being a big deal. I always find these late releases after timed exclusives to come out with a whimper, especially as people buy XB1's and upgrade PC's and pick this up on the cheap before the PS4 version even happens.

Plus, it'll be up to SE to market it themselves since Sony won't and MS have already done their part.

Glass

Feel bad for the dev's, but a part of me is glad this happened to stop shitty exclusive deals like this happening in the future.

The dev's deserve better, whoever was behind all the marketing and publishing deals for this game, don't.

Coxy100

Banned
Shenmue was never multi. It was Dreamcast then got a late port of one game to XBox after that died.

Shenmue 3 will launch on more platforms than any installment in the history of the franchise. Double the platforms even.

But shenmue was never Playstation exclusive. So it's pretty shitty now as an xbox owner that a series that has always been multi (street fighter) and a series that has been on xbox before (shenmue) is now fully exclusive to playstation.

My point is ps4 owners get to eventually play tomb raider. it's only a timed exclusive... so I don't like to see some of these moaning posts.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Geez, that doesn't sound great. Shame, the game seems to be great. I will definitely buy the PC version (don't own an XBO). Hope it does well overall.

Dremark

Banned
I hate to rub if in, but this tweet was too good:

fce5bfc59d.png

I can't imagine the PS4 version being a big deal. I always find these late releases after timed exclusives to come out with a whimper, especially as people buy XB1's and upgrade PC's and pick this up on the cheap before the PS4 version even happens.

Plus, it'll be up to SE to market it themselves since Sony won't and MS have already done their part.

The problem with the PS4 launch next year is that Sony is bound to have a much better exclusive line up next year compared to this year, not that this year isnt hard to beat sony first party has been underwhelming this gen.
The ironic part in all this is, they'd have been better off if they were PS exclusive this holiday rather than Xbox just because of how sparse sony's line up is compared to how strong MS is.

Feel bad for the dev's, but a part of me is glad this happened to stop shitty exclusive deals like this happening in the future.

The dev's deserve better, whoever was behind all the marketing and publishing deals for this game, don't.

Somehow I suspect the consequences and burden are gonna fall onto the wrong party in this case.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
After the GTA4 DLC...this is the second dumb exclusive deal they've made.

Sorry but Tomb Raider is not that popular anymore and imo, even not AAA game.

Loomba

I have an xbox but I'm waiting for the PS4 version because it will probably look better and might have a chance to be 60fps.

Unless I see it at like £20.

Dremark

Banned
But shenmue was never Playstation exclusive. So it's pretty shitty now as an xbox owner that a series that has always been multi (street fighter) and a series that has been on xbox before (shenmue) is now fully exclusive to playstation.

I'm sure all the Dreamcast owners in the US who didn't get to play Shenmue 2 because Peter Moore used a moneyhat to get it cancelled are playing the world's smallest violin for you.

Also neither SF5 nor Shenmue 3 are fully exclusive to PlayStation.

Poona

Time to bring Keeley Hawes and acrobatic Lara back into focus and say bye bye to whimpering Camilla Luddington Lara.

Kezen

Banned
Good luck Square Enix, you are going to need it.

What a terrible deal all around.

And I don't see many PC gamers rushing to buy a late game at full price even with visual enhancements and DX12 support. I know I will but I'm probably in the minority, and I can't blame anyone for waiting for a sale to send Square Enix a message.

Likewise, it is not going to be easy for ROTTR to stand the comparison with Uncharted 4 amongst PS gamers, in my opinion it would have been wiser to release it before Uncharted 4.

cilonen

This game may have not been made without Microsoft money. MS didn't just pay for an exclusive, but paid to make the game happen.

It's the best thing I've played this year, a real shame many folks won't be experiencing it.

Do people really believe this? How does the "wouldn't have been made" line square (pardon the pun) with the "we're making a trilogy" line? I don't see how both can be true unless either MS paid for both TR2 and TR3 up front.

Floody

Shame a great game bombed, but hopefully it'll scare others from doing the same type of deals, which would be great, as timed exclusives can fuck off.

Kazuhira

This is only on X1 for now right?
They didn't stand a chance against FO4,i can't believe they couldn't foreseen this outcome.

RotTR will be fine in 2016, the Steam version is early 2016 and PS4 is November 2016. Staggering the releases sucks but if word of mouth about the Bone version is positive (and it is), people will pick it up when it's out for the platform they own.

Sorry but Tomb Raider is not that popular anymore and imo, even not AAA game.

Huh? TR2013 eventually crossed 9 million sold, including the Definitive Editions. Initial sales were disappointing but it went on sale a lot on Steam and ultimately had a long tail.

EGM1966

We'll see how it does WW but I'm feeling vindicated for doubting the deal ever made sense.

It's a shame for the game as I liked reboot but deserved as a poorly thought out business strategy.

SE knowing chose to limit the game to the platform with smallest install base for the reboot and smallest WW install base. That alone was a poor move.

Then they went for crowded holiday release which was also a mistake.

Cherry on top was MS having deal for Fallout and scheduling launch for same day. Madness.

Just a string of bad decisions from the start IMHO.

What a hammering for franchise in UK for sure and I'm not optimistic for other regions.

Windforce

PS4 install base is double of Xbone, and Tomb Raider fans are mostly associated with the PlayStation brand since PS1 days.

I'll get this game but not on Xbox.

Kezen

Banned
I think it'll still do fine when it releases on PC and then PS4, but they do need some marketing support instead of quietly dropping them. Marketing three releases is more expensive than one.

Marketing the PC release is not going to be too difficult nor costly : they will focus on the tech and AMD partnership.
What marketing angle is left really ? PC gamers are not cavemen, they know about the game already so no need to remind them of what it is. Square Enix and AMD should just put the emphasis on how better it can look on PC.

I have high hopes for the PC version, even if Nixxes are probably not working on it.

Tak3n

Banned
it's a shame as it is a brilliant game, you PC owners are in for a treat, no one should want this to fail just to have some sort of hollow victory feeling

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Going by the talk of how well Fallout did and no MS PR, I'd imagine a similar thing happened. Fallout and Elder Scrolls have slowly turned into some of the bigger juggernauts.

Probably so.

Anecdotally I went to pick up my copy on Friday at the Microsoft Store, and when I told the employee I was picking up a preordered game he went, ""Fallout right?"

Poor Lara's buried under a pile of shooters and open world games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom