• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Rise of the Tomb Raider sells <60k units at launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidDesu

Kind of sad. From all accounts it's an improvement over the last game, and I actually quite enjoyed it (in spite of it's terribly depressing and oppressive setting). I would like to have played this and would have bought it over anything else this Xmas (besides Battlefront). As it stands it now has a year of waiting ahead of it by which point Uncharted 4 and even PSVR will have launched and probably be vying for my time and money far more so than a year forgotten game will. An awful decision from all involved to artificially restrict this to Xbox One.

MrChom

Sadly I don't think this will damage it enough that we'll see it rebooted as a puzzle platformer rather than the direction it seems to be going in. I know there'll never be a true sequel to Underworld, or a return of Keeley Hawes but that's not going to stop me wishing it was so.

Bradach

More proof that timed exclusives are a bad idea.

A lot of launch hype is killed by these deals and negative news like these poor sales figures damage the game and franchise.

I realise the deal included an upfront payment which reduces financial risk and is obviously valuable but the franchise suffers in the long term.

I'll likely pick it up next year on PC provided it is priced as a 1 year old game should be.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
All the formats together.

As suspected, so the xb360 version of TR2013 was more or less 60k right?

This thread is really deceiving, one count is to make:
Xbox One (85%) &lt; 48,200
Xbox 360 (15%) &lt; 8,500

vs 183k(ps360 +pc)

another is making
Xbox One (85%) &lt; 48,200
Xbox 360 (15%) &lt; 8,500

vs 60k(360 alone)

don't you think? Especially if you consider that the XB1 has a way lower userbase compared to x360 in 2013 and that ROTR released close to Fallout 4.

Sad to see an amazing game hurt by company decisions (release date / exclusive )

They were probably kicking themselves when uncharted got delayed . Hopefully it has long legs up until xmas .

Seems like the kind of game every Xbox owner should buy. I know I'll be picking it up soo.

Kas

Honest to god, this saddens me. I enjoyed TR2013 a good deal. It wasn't a perfect game, and the tone of the plot was like a fucking Richter scale, but I loved the combat and the overall feel of the game.

I chose to go with a PS4 this gen, and I really hope that this sells well enough on 360 and X1 where we'll have a third game.

Broank

Who would have thought releasing against the Juggernaut that is Fallout 4 was a bad idea. Would have been a lot smarter to come out early December against what, Rainbow Six?

Soul_Pie

The exclusivity thing just seemed ill conceived from from the beginning. Apart from the fact that the series has a long history with both the Playstation and PC platforms and therefore a poor choice as an exclusive candidate, it was an absolute PR nightmare on top of that and as such the reveal didn't receive the kind of attention, interest and excitement that it should. Then you have the sales lost through this exclusivity which affects not only the short term, but it could also have a serious knock on effect on future games and ruin a lot of the momentum that the franchise needs.

More proof that timed exclusives are a bad idea.

Nope.

This could have sold more if it wasn't crushed by the competition. I don't have time to play anything other than Fallout at the moment and I would have bought it other than that.

Clearly, single platform sales < multi platform sales, but this was crushed by timing.

Sometimes good games (or great games) just don't sell.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Maybe next time don't go directly head to head with one of the biggest games of all time, there guys. Rise is a great game, but even independent reviewers were putting it on the back burner until they finished Fallout 4.

Yoday

It's such a shame, as it is a remarkable game, but they released on what is quite possibly the worst day of the entire year. Fallout and Tomb Raider may be two very different games, but I feel like they appeal to a very similar audience. They would have been much better off releasing a week earlier alongside Need for Speed.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Hopefully it sees a better return next year. But yeah, launching two big Xbox marketed games on the same day, with one being Fallout 4... not a good move.

Syntsui

Thanks for the info, pretty sad but after the unity cluster, it makes sense.

I have two questions to ask you:

Has Capcom released the numbers for USF4 on PS4, because that's the only deal near comparable to the MS/Square deal?

Has any of the high profile Indie developers who came out and say they will not be supporting xbox release their numbers? Developers and games I talking about: Skull Girls: 2nd Encore, Assault Android Cactus, White Paper Games, Magikca 2 and Housemarque.

USF4 is not comparable at all, not even SF5 will be due to it being exclusive. There is no game to compare in this situation of timed exclusive I think.

le.phat

The game never stood a chance. Let's hope that the industry learns a lesson and stop with these bullshit deals, and hopefully Microsoft learns not to bet the farm on just the holidays.

Oh well.

Crystal Dynamics may not be happy with the sales, but I'd hazard a guess that Square Enix won't mind as much. Despite the fact the game sold really well in the end, they weren't happy at all with early sales. They may have decided to take "guaranteed income" from MS in terms of exclusivity payment/marketing support, over the "potential payments" from a broader market.

I'd imagine though that sales will pick up quite a bit as those who initially bought F4 will eventually jump on ROTR too. January would be a better time to judge this one.

Eh? Man the sales of TR will likely drop by +50% the next week.
And will only go down with each subsequent week. By January things wont look any rosier except for releases on new platforms. XB1 bundles give a bit of hope I guess.

I'm sure the cheque Square received from MS was tasty but without pertinent details, the loss of potential global PS4 and PC sales may dwarf the amount of money/marketing support they got.

Given that it was SE's own stupidity with regards to the launch window that caused this, I can't say I'm too sad for them. But hey, at least they saved Lara Croft.

Kei-

You guys think it's possible Square Enix has a clause in their exclusivity deal that says if the game sells less than X copies during a certain window, they have the option to release it earlier on PS4 (probably not PC since it's only 3 months I think) while the game is still relevant, has some buzz around it and not looked at as old?

I wonder how they work these deals, would love to be a fly on the wall during the negotiations. Was the deal like say: We'll grant you exclusivity, if you cover the revenue for X sales; X being the potential lost sales Projected by Square Enix for the platforms it won't be launching on. Anyone have some insight?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I didn't buy it but will definitely be picking it up. Too busy playing Fallout 4.

If they had given it a better release date and made it available to both XB1/PS4 at the same time then it'd have done much better. Whoever made those decisions is to blame. If it's anything like the first reboot game then it deserves so much more than this.

This game may have not been made without Microsoft money. MS didn't just pay for an exclusive, but paid to make the game happen.

It's the best thing I've played this year, a real shame many folks won't be experiencing it.

It's a great game it really is, I've been very critical about Aaron Greenberg and his comments regarding this situation and Fallout 4, he said "hopefully people buy both" which to me isn't good enough from someone who is leading marketing for 1st and 3rd party. He should be called out on it. Hopefully US numbers are a bit better.

maybe. if they pack in all dlc, & charge a bit below full price, maybe not...

Yeah, we'll see. As anecdotal as it is, most of my gaming acquitances are either going to get it used or from some very cheap bargain bin, some are even saying they're not going to get it because of the horrible MS/SE deal. I don't know what I'm going to do. I really liked TR:DE, but the deal was so shitty so I think I'm going to skip it altogether.

We'll see what other games are released at the time.

le.phat

This game may have not been made without Microsoft money. MS didn't just pay for an exclusive, but paid to make the game happen.

It's the best thing I've played this year, a real shame many folks won't be experiencing it.

It's Microsoft's involvement that murdered this release.

Bradach

Nope.

This could have sold more if it wasn't crushed by the competition. I don't have time to play anything other than Fallout at the moment and I would have bought it other than that.

Clearly, single platform sales < multi platform sales, but this was crushed by timing.

Sometimes good games (or great games) just don't sell.

I don't agree. This was heading for poor sales anyway, regardless of fallout 4. And the rest of my post still stands. Times exclusives damage franchises in the long term.

They are a bad idea.

El-Suave

Greenberg's excuse of launching TR when they did instead of going a week earlier or later or even together with Halo shows that they're a bit clueless at MS. Of course TR would have suffered either way but it would have been a better alternative to the multiplayer centric shooters than it is to the biggest single player game of the year.

Ok after seeing the breakdown of tr13 sales, that had a much larger install Base, I have realised that the spin and gloom over the xbox one sales of rotr are pretty extreme. It's no where near as bad as people are making out. I would say it did well on fallout release week

Bummer. I'm enjoying it so much more than that overhyped Fallout 4. Definitely a more polished game.

Hope it bounces back on whatever console. I need another game like RotTR in my life.

novablue

Banned
USF4 is not comparable at all, not even SF5 will be due to it being exclusive. There is no game to compare in this situation of timed exclusive I think.

In a way, it is. I was talking about SF and TR because they are third party games locked into deals to benefit a first party.

Kosma

Banned
Sadly I don't think this will damage it enough that we'll see it rebooted as a puzzle platformer rather than the direction it seems to be going in. I know there'll never be a true sequel to Underworld, or a return of Keeley Hawes but that's not going to stop me wishing it was so.

A reboot as a real puzle platformer would be amazing. Also would cost way less then how it looks now.

Do you really believe that a franchise like Tomb Raider wouldn't have got a sequel without Microsoft paying for timed exclusivity on it? Really?

Already predicted it to be under 1 million wew, wonder if it will really be bad. Honestly though the first game wasn't that great nor was it a tomb raider game...

I bought it on sell or did I get it for free on plus? Think I bought it but wasn't pleased.

What is it people see in this?

The holiday time makes it a bit of a wild card. Could see 150k or 350k for npd.

Son Of D

Ouch. Hurts to see that. Especially in the UK where Tomb Raider games sell pretty damn well. I know TR2013 had good legs, SE are hoping that Rise has strong enough legs until the PC and later the PS4 releases.

Coxy100

Banned
I know people that own a Xbox One and didn't bought it because the exclusivity deal pissed them off.

Really? Strange view to have?

"I won't buy this game because it is exclusive to my console for a few months - even though it's a great game this exclusive deal to MY console has pissed me off."

Personally bought it last week and can't wait to play it - after Fallout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom