• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK:TF's first week sales on XB1 is more than the double amount TF2 sold on PS4&XB1

Mafro

Sad to see, but entirely predictable. The game was pretty screwed from the start with the first game being a console exclusive for the Xbox and basically marketed as a first party title, and the TF2 release date was suicide. Plus I bet it was a low priority for EA due to the lack of season pass, DLC and micro transactions.

Triteon

All this armchair quaterbacking. The release date is poor, the advertising is terrible, no-one knows it has single player, poor beta impressions.

One of the above? Combination?

All i know is the game is great and if you like it fast fps its fantastic and you should drop the cash and buy it now at full price. Its worth it.

blakep267

Why I think it failed
1. Release date. February- March is the way to go if you don't want your game to be swallowed up. The Division benefited from it and Ghost recon will as well( and of course OG titanfall)

2. Marketing wasn't on the same level. MS treated it as a top exclusive. Only Halo 5 rivaled Titanfall marketing. Maybe it would've been better off staying exclsuive( that is of course assuming the release date also changes)

3. Changes to the core design. It put some people off. Even put me off. But I really wanted something new to play. It's different but still good. How many people would give it the chance though

The single player is great but I can do without it. Just give me the multiplayer suite priced at $30-$40. I think that's the way to go for TF3( I have no doubt it gets made. Either with EA or MA backing)

I've played the open beta on PS4.
Judging by the direction that COD is going the last few years, TF isn't much of a clone unless you only look on the surface

Putty

Very happy to support Respawn. It's a fabulous game. Shows you how important finding the right window of opportunity really is. The amount of Q4 games pencilled in for release these past few years that have then been pushed is telling...You do have to pin this on EA....simple.

It's not only EA fault

TF1 was simply bad and quickly boring with minimal amount of content and got forgotten soon.

It probably soured people to sequel (which I'm hearing is much better)

How many online shooters do they expect people to play? in close proximity you have Gears 4, TF2, BF1, CoD plus shit people were already playing.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't interested in Titanfall 2 and I'm not even getting Battlefield, COD, or any of its competitors. I'm not a big online shooter guy which is mainly the reason, but my experience with the first game didn't exactly get me hyped.

Since release though I've heard plenty of praise for it, including an apparently really good singleplayer mode, so I'll probably check it out down the line. Hopefully it will have some legs through word-of-mouth as I hear it's a very fun game.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Given what they did to the multiplayer, it's completely and utterly unsurprising. Actually? It was expected.

The multiplayer in Titanfall 1 is the greatest thing to happen to multiplayer shooters of all time. The multiplayer in Titanfall 2 is BLOPS 3 with Titans basically as a killstreak.

Luckily I hear good things about the campaign so I'll pick it up pre-owned for that and get the 3 or 4 MP achievements out of the way and then never touch it again.

blakep267

Given what they did to the multiplayer, it's completely and utterly unsurprising. Actually? It was expected.

The multiplayer in Titanfall 1 is the greatest thing to happen to multiplayer shooters of all time. The multiplayer in Titanfall 2 is BLOPS 3 with Titans basically as a killstreak.

Luckily I hear good things about the campaign so I'll pick it up pre-owned for that and get the 3 or 4 MP achievements out of the way and then never touch it again.
the MP is different and TF was better but it's still solid and better than IW. I have it a chance

Cropduster89

Neo Member
Well the first game was the only killer app for Xbox one on release, so it basically had no competition whatsoever, plus there were loads of people who'd just bought a new console and needed something to play on it (plus they didn't exactly have much choice in what games they could get).

Even before you take the whole BF1/CoD thing into account it was probably never going get as easy a ride as the first game.

The Power of marketing and exclusives

As a sony owner I was so hyped to pick up a xbone for TF1 it looked awesome

The fact that I have rarely seen any marketing for TF2 and that its just Another multi I just wasent hyped for

I guess exclusives are attractive to me since I love killzone and gears of war series but never really liked BF or COD..

-hadouken

Hated the tech test but... loved what I played of the MP last night though. Oh how things change!
Another GAF sheep who follows the flock wherever it randomly goes. The tech test hate wagon had an impact on pre-release sentiment. Everyone hated it, and now it's the second coming. FFS think for yourselves, people. /rant.

Shock32

What are we looking at for legs on this game? I was planning on picking this up with the target deal but now i'm not so sure. If i remember right the TF1 ran out of steam pretty quickly.

The first game was fucking amazing. The problem was the Tech Test played nothing like Titanfall 1, they were practically two completely different games, thus Xbox gamers who loved the first one pretty much completely lost interest in 2.

Yeah, in my case I wouldn't say I completely lost interest, but after that test Titanfall 2 went onto the "Buy it later" pile.

Kusagari

The tech test killed it. It was most PS4 owners first experience with the series and it was absolutely horrible as an introduction.

I think EA underestimated BF1. not how many copies it would sell or anything, but how broad a reach it would have, which probably did snatch up some players away from an underwhelming cod - something that tf2 should've done.
Like 1 week vs 2 days matters thaaaat much. Bulk of sales is day 0-1 anyway.
it might not suffer a giant drop off next week - it has very positive word of mouth that's starting to get around now.

ironmang

MP numbers are fine...takes seconds to find a game. You don't need hundreds of thousands to have an active playerbase online.

Well yeah, everybody who bought it is playing since it's new. I care about how the community looks in several months. Going to be busy with FF15, Dishonored 2, and probably a bunch of other games in the next couple months.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Another GAF sheep who follows the flock wherever it randomly goes. The tech test hate wagon had an impact on pre-release sentiment. Everyone hated it, and now it's the second coming. FFS think for yourselves, people. /rant.

Not necessarily, not everyone's that easily lead. I'll be the first to admit I wasn't keen on the tech test and even said so on here, I still felt like this at the end of it. It wasn't Titanfall 1, it wasn't what I loved about the original and I had no interest it.

I basically bought the full game on a whim as I love FPS and wanted to try the single player out. Of course the single player turned out to be amazing but still went into the MP with some doubts. Eventually the more I played, the more I came to really like, even love, the MP. Hell so much so I'm really enjoying Bounty Hunt and I wasn't that keen on it in the tech test. The other thing is that Respawn, IMO, chose the worst maps to include in the tech test, that hurt it too. However it IS still different from TF1 and that will still put some people off. I still think it's utterly fucking brilliant though.

Just did my bit, went out and brought it, hopefully more people do too.

£40 thanks to my girlfriends discount, where she works but I would have paid full price if I had too, just to support Respawn for making a great game and putting effort into improving everything from the original.

eizarus

Banned
Fuck me. I knew it was gonna be bad but this bad? Like wow, EA you really fucked up. It's really a shame that such a great had to be published by the worst publishers. Hopefully word of mouth can help it out a la Rainbow Six Siege.

You either didn't play BLOPS3 or TF2 (other than the shoddy open beta).

perhaps you should play it because that is definitely not the case anymore. they added the drip feed back in and you can build titan meter by doing plenty of other things. for example removing an enemy titans battery gives you like 40% of your meter, as does giving that battery to a friendly titan.

m23

It's not only EA fault

TF1 was simply bad and quickly boring with minimal amount of content and got forgotten soon.

It probably soured people to sequel (which I'm hearing is much better)

I know it's a matter of opinion, but tf1 was amazing gameplay wise. And the support given to it by Respawn was great as well. It was a bit short on content at release, I agree, but multiple map packs and addition of new game modes helped fill out the package after release.

I think this is definitely on EA, Respawn seems to have delivered when it comes to a quality game.

I cancelled my pre order because of other games being released at this time. Had it released in the new year, this would have been a day 1 purchase. Might be picking it up sooner though if I get it for a good price.

I honestly don't know a single person getting this on PS4 but everyone I know with an Xbox one (two people) rave about Titanfall.

I have a PS4 and it doesn't look appealing to me at all.

It might be something to do with it being bundled with XBOXone?

Putty

I honestly don't know a single person getting this on PS4 but everyone I know with an Xbox one (two people) rave about Titanfall.

I have a PS4 and it doesn't look appealing to me at all.

It might be something to do with it being bundled with XBOXone?

I chuckled....

Did you play the first one? Lacking content yes, bad hell no.

Yes - I nearly died out of bordrom when doing tutorial (when they were doing some few hours of free play)

Then I played it on Lanparty and not even unlimited Whisky could save the gameplay which got boring after 45 minutes

Biggest difference is that there was no investment in getting mainstream gaming press to do the marketing job for the game like the original.

If you recall, the amount of major sites that had massive hype articles and podcasts and features about Titanfall 1 was unprecedented.

This time around, none of that. While the impact of major sites decreases every day, they still have mindshare with many core game fans. And without that - as well as other good points raised here - this game never had a chance.

Triteon

Yes - I nearly died out of bordrom when doing tutorial (when they were doing some few hours of free play)

Then I played it on Lanparty and not even unlimited Whisky could save the gameplay which got boring after 45 minutes

These kind of statements always make me wonder if i even play the same games as other people. How can i think its amazing and you struggle to have fun?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
perhaps you should play it because that is definitely not the case anymore. they added the drip feed back in and you can build titan meter by doing plenty of other things. for example removing an enemy titans battery gives you like 40% of your meter, as does giving that battery to a friendly titan.

I know what they did. I played the second week of the tech test. It was lip service. They should never have removed the 2 minute timer. Or proper rodeoing.

Assuming we even get Titanfall 3, hopefully they'll learn their lesson and give us what they SHOULD have given us.

Titanfall 1 with slide, a campaign, better graphics, more MP content. That's it. Don't touch ANYTHING ELSE.

Welfare

Uh isn't Friday the general release date for the UK (2 days of tracking btw)? An extra 3 days wouldn't make this debut any better.

But, but, the "release date was locked a long time ago," there is "no changing it." EA doubled down on the release date, and here we are. Everyone on NeoGAF said the release date was awful the day it was announced, you could see this coming months and months ago.

Cartho

Sadly the original was so massively overhyped that EA probably went the other way with this one. I mean I remember the games press, egged on by MS, singing TF1's praises for months before it was even launched. Constantly going on and on about it, how it was going to revolutionise the genre, the "cod killer" etc.

Then it kinda died and EA clearly were much more cautious about the second one - more hype money went on BF1.

It's sad because it deserves to do well - the campaign is genuinely outstanding and the MP is just as brilliant as it was in the first. If they had released this as the first game it would have blown everyone away.

Will rent from redbox for SP campaign. Definitely not buying with numbers like those for MP though.

Stuff like this annoys me, why does it matter if there is 1000 or 100000 players online, as long as you can get a game. I presume you're not so fickle as to only play popular games.

samar11

1IXa0k

How do people feel bad for respawn?

They made a dope game, no doubt. its really good. But its pretty clear from the fact that they have no presence inside EA access that they are operating "on their own" setting their own release dates and marketing.

They sandwiched the game in a terrible spot for no good reason. They sent their own game to die basically.

Top Bottom