• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK:TF's first week sales on XB1 is more than the double amount TF2 sold on PS4&XB1

Seeing the amount of people with this mentality is disappointing. Even though the first one had its population fall off, unless you were playing on PC you would have no issue finding games in just about every playlist. Not buying a game because you don't think people will be playing it is just contributing to the problem.

A) Because games need large populations to support different skill levels. Of course we can find games; what want to be able to do is find games with people that are casual drop-in/drop-out like we are, not the dedicated core. A small pool will be tilted towards the latter.

B) Don't guilt trip people into buying games. Under no circumstance is anyone obligated to buy a game just so you can have a better community. This is Respawn's mistake (from what little we know.) We were saying MONTHS ago that this would happen, and their (or EA's) hubris got the better of them. Blame them.

Scrawnton

Yup the tech test killed a tonne of hype. The full game is vastly improved, but some people have already made their mind up.

And you absolutely shouldn't judge the game based on that test alone. Honestly the final game is TF1 but significantly better and more fleshed out. Game is awesome, campaign and multiplayer.

Then it's respawns fault for releasing a beta that felt completely different from the first game. Everything was off. Even the lack of the Titan sound effects from the first game made me upset. They tried fixing what wasn't broken and it's a lesser experience, in my eyes.

Haines

Banned
It's a shame because I really like the game and want more people to play it.

A sentiment shared by most tf2 players.

You have to remember its just like movies tho where sometimes the average movie makes all the bank and than the sick one bombs.

Look at edge of tommorow, it had tom cruise even

Tf2 is our edge of tmrw

Gator86

How do people feel bad for respawn?

They made a dope game, no doubt. its really good. But its pretty clear from the fact that they have no presence inside EA access that they are operating "on their own" setting their own release dates and marketing.

They sandwiched the game in a terrible spot for no good reason. They sent their own game to die basically.

Yup, the game is terrific but it's not like Respawn didn't dig their own grave. Bad marketing, an awful first impression with the week 1 beta, a hilariously stupid release date, etc. Every time I saw the devs on here proudly posting about how they chose the release date and were feeling confident I just started laughing immediately. Everyone outside of the game design team at Respawn basically dropped the ball right through the planet's core.

Kalentan

If Titanfall 1 released around other big shooters and had done good, I think the decision would have made sense. But TF1 released around no competition and the only thing that came close was Wolfenstien: TNO a few months later and that was going for a completely different section of the FPS player base.

Between that and the fact that the player base for TF1 dropped so quickly, it's just baffling that EA thought this seemed like a good idea.

Like it's crazy that everyone saw this coming when they announced the release date but somehow EA didn't.

jelly

Hey Microsoft and EA.

Xbox One S 500GB in Matte Black with Titanfall Bundle, get it out there for Christmas.

The thirst will be great.

Black Ops 3 and Infinite Warfare pretty much copied the entire wallrunning and boost jumping features from Titanfall... and they're hated because of it. It's why people are willing to pay 80 goddamn dollars for Modern Warfare Remastered, the fans want boots on the ground again.

To be frank, BO3 and IW's implementation is neither here nor there. Titanfall goes all out with mobility and completely unhinges your character movement from whatever semblance it might have with CoD. You either do it this way or don't do it at all.

Ganondorfo

Is this going to be the Resistance 3 of this generation? Because Resistance 3 also didnt sell like they hoped to be, yet now everyone says its the closest thing to Half Life 2.

I am hearing the same from Titanfall 2, that it has one of the best campaigns of all time in recent years (together with Doom and Wolfenstein New Order).

If its a good game people will always play it. Its really not a big deal.
This isn't true on consoles. Even great games have their population dwindle. You can also have a situation where you can get a game, but it's an unbalanced laggy mess because of the low population.

Yup, the game is terrific but it's not like Respawn didn't dig their own grave. Bad marketing, an awful first impression with the week 1 beta, a hilariously stupid release date, etc. Every time I saw the devs on here proudly posting about how they chose the release date and were feeling confident I just started laughing immediately. Everyone outside of the game design team at Respawn basically dropped the ball right through the planet's core.

Exactly, they not only choose the date, they were ADAMANT about it.

I believe thats called hubris. Its a complete shame cause the game is amazing but you cant win a race by doing a victory lap a foot before the finish line.

jelly

God, I hope this game is successful. It's the most fun I've had with a "modern/futuristic" shooter in years.

It would be a shame if Titanfall 2 flopped.

People always say where is the new IP this gen, the big new IP of the generation like COD, RDR was last gen. Well, it's there in front of you right now, Titanfall 2! Don't let it go out with a whimper to play the same old COD. it's even got free DLC and a great campaign, I would support that over COD or Battlefield any day. Not like you can't play both or others down the line, they'll survive without you. Battlefield and COD with season passes forever or new Titanfall experience and free content support!

dezzy8

I think it's still too early to call it a flop, it took a while for Rainbow six to start selling well. Hopefully titan fall has similar legs
Doubtful. There's not any other tactical shooters like R6 on consoles anymore. You can find plenty of fast paced run and gun shooters like TF2 even if you have your eyes closed. This year has been over saturated with FPS and games are going to flop just like after BF1942 and CoD hit and everyone started making WWII games.

Chris1

To be fair, what do you want them to say? "yeah the release date is a mistake"?

The release date was most likely locked in due to the dewritos and BWW promotions and couldn't really be changed. They also said it was locked in long ago, it's better to put on a brave face than admit your game is doomed.

Although I don't think the release date hurt it that much. Tech test, no hype and didn't have MS marketing machine behind it this time hurt it more IMO

Kalentan

A) Because games need large populations to support different skill levels. Of course we can find games; what want to be able to do is find games with people that are casual drop-in/drop-out like we are, not the dedicated core. A small pool will be tilted towards the latter.

This is truly something people forget. As much as I loved Halo 5's MP it did become hurt like this. Yes it was easy enough to find matches but since the population was lower, you were far more likely to run into players of a much higher skill level but the game will pair you together because it needs to find someone. Granted once they added the option to search for players of a similar skill level (which did increase wait times), that did sort of fix it.

To be fair, what do you want them to say? "yeah the release date is a mistake"?

The release date was most likely locked in due to the dewritos and BWW promotions and couldn't really be changed. They also said it was locked in long ago, it's better to put on a brave face than admit your game is doomed.

Although I don't think the release date hurt it that much. Tech test, no hype and didn't have MS marketing machine behind it this time hurt it more IMO

yeah but if that is true, who signed those deals? Respawn.

Gator86

Exactly, they not only choose the date, they were ADAMANT about it.

I believe thats called hubris. Its a complete shame cause the game is amazing but you cant win a race by doing a victory lap a foot before the finish line.

Respawn would drop an indie football game without the NFL license the same weekend as Madden. "Data shows people buy tons of football games that week! We're feeling confident!"

If it wasn't for Overwatch, the cumulative LTD sales for my top 5 games of the year, including Deus Ex and TF2, would be less than the launch numbers for No Man's Sky. So depressing.

ironmang

Stuff like this annoys me, why does it matter if there is 1000 or 100000 players online, as long as you can get a game. I presume you're not so fickle as to only play popular games.

Because I want to be able to play whatever playlist I want with different players all the time. It keeps it fresh and interesting for me. And I want to be able to do this for several months at the very least. I probably won't be playing this game much soon as other games release this fall and might not dig deep into MP until early next year. Like it or not, games like BF1 and COD are guaranteed to have an active community for years.

So yes, as far as MP goes, I want to play popular games.

That's shame, and weird since everyone saw this happening after release date was announced. I mean everyone else than those who decided this date was perfect.

Seriously, what can you do? Even if EA and Respawn had launched TF2 a different date in the future, I don't believe it would have change TF2 chances that much. Great game left in the dust, for shame EA & Co.

A different date would allow for the hype around BF1 and IW to die down so that more people would pay attention to TF2. The date they chose put it releasing a week after BF1 and a week before IW. So, it ended up sandwiched between the two biggest FPS brands in gaming. And this was made worse because both of those games are heavily backed by console manufacturers. While MS is also marketing TF2, it's pretty clear their focus was on BF1. So, if it were moved to April or some other month next year it would've inevitably received a lot more attention and a different level of marketing.

Welfare

Hey Microsoft and EA.

Xbox One S 500GB in Matte Black with Titanfall Bundle, get it out there for Christmas.

The thirst will be great.

Nah, BF1 bundle would always sell better.

MS actually got a good deal this holiday. Got BF1 marketing for bundles and was able to still have marketing for TF2.

Noobcraft

I didn't get it for a few reasons. Titanfall XB1's price dropped off very quickly (many EA games do), Titanfall's community dropped off incredibly fast, and this fall is just super busy for me so I don't have the time to jump in to anything until around Christmas. So for me personally it's going up against FFXV too.

Anth0ny

not surprised, terrible timing launching so close to battlefield and cod

should have been a spring or summer release

Haines

Banned
This isn't true on consoles. Even great games have their population dwindle. You can also have a situation where you can get a game, but it's an unbalanced laggy mess because of the low population.

Yeah i guess i was thinking more of great oc games. Consoles do die quicker, but console mp games only go so deep with a controller so usually best to move on to a new game anyways

rackham

Banned
If EA doesn't care, no one else should either. Maybe Respawn will finally move away from them. Anyone know if EA owns Titanfall or if Respawn does?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Because I want to be able to play whatever playlist I want with different players all the time. It keeps it fresh and interesting for me. And I want to be able to do this for several months at the very least. I probably won't be playing this game much soon as other games release this fall and might not dig deep into MP until early next year. Like it or not, games like BF1 and COD are guaranteed to have an active community for years.

So yes, as far as MP goes, I want to play popular games.

I mean just using PC as an example: CoD and the first one were "TDM only or fuck off" in terms of play modes. As an objective player, why would I buy them?

This is sad news, Titanfall 2 is one of the best shooters i've played in a long time. Seriously people, don't sleep on this gem.

I'm 2 hours in the campaign and man, i'm hooked ! It's really good, feels very good to play, shooting is very satisfying, love the mobility, speed... it shits on Call of Duty any day of the week.

Hopefully, the game has legs and sells better by word of mouth because it delivers and deserves to be a good seller. It would be sad if this is the last Titanfall, this franchise deserves a long healthy life.

Kalentan

Why the hell did EA do this to this game?

Really comes down to hubris. EA believed in their own hype and believed that between BF1 and TF2 that they could finally slay the juggernaut known as Call of Duty. Yet in the end, it will be Call of Duty once again that outsells them.

John Wick

Respawn took the decision to go with Xbox. Unfortunately for them PS4 is the leading console. So Titanfall's main player base is on Xbox. They should have expected this.
What's worse is releasing the game in the holiday season between the big hitting franchises. Sheer stupidity.
People always claim the PS4 has no exclusive games during the holiday season. BOOM! There's the reason!
Sony spread their titles out over the year to avoid this shit

"PS4 is going to save TF2"
"When this comes to PS4 it will sell buck loads "
"The sequel NEEDS to be on PS4"

PS4 saved it, saved it for the trash can! Ahahahaahahaahaha! Choo Choo motherfuckers!

Seriously, what can you do? Even if EA and Respawn had launched TF2 a different date in the future, I don't believe it would have change TF2 chances that much. Great game left in the dust, for shame EA & Co.

It could have with the original, maybe even the sequel, but not at that release date. They should have also teamed up with Sony to increase exposure on PS4 marketing-wise, maybe even hype it up as a big deal of improvement for the pro.

Chris1

Respawn took the decision to go with Xbox. Unfortunately for them PS4 is the leading console. So Titanfall's main player base is on Xbox. They should have expected this.
What's worse is releasing the game in the holiday season between the big hitting franchises. Sheer stupidity.
People always claim the PS4 has no exclusive games during the holiday season. BOOM! There's the reason!
Sony spread their titles out over the year to avoid this shit

Well Sony made that decision for them, when Respawn went to them first.

As for Sony spreading their titles out over the year, I'm pretty sure they'd like to get games out during the holidays the problem is they always end up getting delayed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Respawn took the decision to go with Xbox.

No they didn't. EA is the one that did. And EA did it because they were close to canning the first one due to costs. See: The Final Hours book or whatever by Geoff.

Chris1

No they didn't. EA is the one that did. And EA did it because they were close to canning the first one due to costs. See: The Final Hours book or whatever by Geoff.

Even then, Sony was Respawns first choice. MS was pretty much their last chance to get the game made.

Titanfall was mediocre? lol

giphy.gif

The first game was fucking amazing. The problem was the Tech Test played nothing like Titanfall 1, they were practically two completely different games, thus Xbox gamers who loved the first one pretty much completely lost interest in 2.

He's a Tottenham fan, they aren't exactly known for being bright.

Top Bottom