• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] Xbox One S 500GB/1TB launch increase sales by 989%, PS4 Slim launch increase 22%

Chris1

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/slim-release-sees-xbox-one-hardware-sales-rocket-1-000/0173127
If you get an error click your address bar then press enter and it should load

The release of the firm's new slim 500GB and 1TB SKUs saw Xbox One sales rise 989 per cent week-on-week.

The Xbox One had a 71 per cent share of the hardware market for the week ending September 24th, according to GfK data obtained by MCV. That’s an increase of 76 per cent year-on-year.

A new slimmed-down PS4 arrived earlier this month, but sales have so far been slow. PlayStation 4 had a market share of just 19 per cent last week, with unit sales declining 66 per cent year-on-year, although sales were up 22 per cent week-on-week. When the launch weeks for PS4 Slim and the 500GB/1TB Xbox One S are compared, Microsoft’s were stronger to the tune of 361 per cent.

Ban Puncher

FIFA-17-Xbox-One-S-Bundle.jpg

Chris1

When you don't sell that much a % increase is much larger

10->100
1000->1300
While that's true...

"When the launch weeks for PS4 Slim and the 500GB/1TB Xbox One S are compared, Microsoft’s were stronger to the tune of 361 per cent."

mossypne

While that's true...

"When the launch weeks for PS4 Slim and the 500GB/1TB Xbox One S are compared, Microsoft’s were stronger to the tune of 361 per cent."

I bet most of the X1S sales are people who have a PS4 and decided to jump in to an X1 with the new revision.

Chris1

I bet most of the X1S sales are people who have a PS4 and decided to jump in to an X1 with the new revision.

It's possible, I think most people interested in a ps4 will be holding out for the pro aswell.

That target deal exploit

Nah we don't have target in the UK, that was US and their slim launch was what feels like months ago :p The 500gb/1tb slim only launched here last week I believe, with 2TB a while back.

The war has been lost globally, but Microsoft can still remain competitive in the UK and could eke out a narrow win in the area by the end of the generation.

You never know.

Strootman

They did a great job with the S. Congrats!

Also it's clear now that scorpio's reveal didn't kill the sales of xbox one like people predicted.

black070

Good on both, but this is just launch week sales right ? In which case the comparisons don't seem relatively noteworthy unless it's been a continued trend.

lol.

Fifa + XBO S came out a week earlier than PS4. Also, the old Xbox has been out of stock for a while actually.

Stats for people who like em:

Biggest electronics shop in Belgium => Yesterday, we sold 234 copies of PS4 Fifa... And 7 copies for FIFA XBO.

Source: I work in it.

Bessy67

PS4 slim doesn't really offer any reason for current PS4 owners to buy it while Xbox One S does (4K). Not that surprising. Plus PS4 slim is ugly.

Ein Bear

Microsoft have done a great job of turning the Bone around from it's disastrous launch. It's got a great lineup of games, and backwards compatibility is a killer feature.

Be interesting to see how sales go over the next few months. As an owner of both systems, I feel like Sony have been resting on their laurels recently after exploding out of the gates at launch.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I seriously wonder how much Xbox Ones were sold the week before, since this is an insane week-over-week increase AND (probably the biggest reason I'm wondering) PS4 is...not doing as hot as before? I mean, last week was 66% down compared to last year, despite a 22% week-over-week increase, so I suppose sales were quite down the week before as well.

Not a Xbox guy but this can only be seen as good news. Might mean a more competitive market which is something Sony hasn't had and I personally feel they've become lazy with their output because of it.

I don't think so, not with 1 year head start PS4 Pro sales coming up.

This weekend's old model PS4 fire sale will almost certainly stamp that out.

You're both probably right but I don't think all is lost for them in the UK and believe they can make a decent fight of it.

(I say this as someone who has both machines, has an S coming next week and plan on picking up a Pro - essentially, I have no loyalty lol)

Strootman

lol.

Fifa + XBO S came out a week earlier than PS4. Also, the old Xbox has been out of stock for a while actually.

Biggest electronics shop in Belgium => Yesterday, we sold 234 copies of PS4 Fifa... And 7 copies for FIFA XBO.

Yes but that's in Belgium, not UK.

gamz

By adding 4K and making Xbox S a sexy as hell at a fair price is why it's selling. Probably the same in the US.

Vuze

Nice to hear. Great looking console, great feature set. Play Anywhere is the icing on the cake. Really enjoy mine (first Xbox ever).

Footos22

They did a great job with the S. Congrats!

Also it's clear now that scorpio's reveal didn't kill the sales of xbox one like people predicted.

They were practically giving them away in the UK last week.

I bought one for 239 with fifa, overwatch and horizon 3. I basically got the console for £119. Once I sell those three.

Ps4 pretty much sold out last night in theor stock clearance sell. I expect similar numbers.

T.O.P

Banned
lol.

Belgium is U.K.?

Skele7on

Banned
Got one last week it's lovely!

Will play much gears of war on it.

Also for the OHHH LOOK AT THE SALES CRAP.

Stop it, just because it's not ps4 doesn't give you an automatic right to be a prick about things. healthy competition is good for all, or do you want arrogant ps3 Sony again?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i was tempted to buy an xb1s even though i already have a ps4 and pc. i just miss halo so much and want to play some of those old 360 games i have like red dead, skate 3, and fallout 3.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Except it flat out says Microsoft took 71% of the market. So. Yea.
If one has a 989% increase and the other a 22% and it's a 71:19 split in favor of the one with 989% increase, then they most likely based on my math abilities did not start at the same number.

Business

lol.

I believe it but that's in continental Europe where Xbox is basically dead.

Larogue

UK is Xbox's second best market after USA. It's already around 1:2 to PS4, not a big difference as the rest of euro. 989% sales boost is huge!

Got one last week it's lovely!

Will play much gears of war on it.

Also for the OHHH LOOK AT THE SALES CRAP.

Stop it, just because it's not ps4 doesn't give you an automatic right to be a prick about things. healthy competition is good for all, or do you want arrogant ps3 Sony again?

from unfettered joy to meltdown in four sentences

Coxy100

Banned
PS4 slim doesn't really offer any reason for current PS4 owners to buy it while Xbox One S does (4K). Not that surprising. Plus PS4 slim is ugly.

As an owner of a Slim - it is far from ugly. Might not be as unique as the OG PS4, but damn it's a simple beauty in the flesh.

Top Bottom