• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] Xbox One S 500GB/1TB launch increase sales by 989%, PS4 Slim launch increase 22%

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why does every thread where there is positive Microsoft news always turn into a pile of shit?

1.Sony fanboys are super defensive about their system of choices place in the market and would like to smash Xbox fans down a peg for daring to proclaim that Xbox One has what they feel are better prioritized features/games and/or messaging.

2. Xbox fanboys get super smug and act like MS is suddenly on top of the world for winning like a month of NPD by 2000 units or something, and suddenly The Age Of Sony Is Done.

Generally speaking, it could be either of those sentiments at any time.

I have a feeling that Sony could be sort of regretting not putting that 4K/UHD optical hard drive in the PS4 Slim or Pro now. Imo, they should of definitely included an UHD drive in the PS4 Slim and of course the same applies to the PS4 Pro. Even if you are not going to use the 4K optical drive, it's nice to have the option there just in case. That has got to be a major contributing factor for XBox S's surge in sales. Very intelligent of Microsoft to make the Xbox S the cheapest UHD player on the market. Reminds me Sony with the BluRay play in a way.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I have a feeling that Sony could be sort of regretting not putting that 4K/UHD optical hard drive in the PS4 Slim or Pro now. Imo, they should of definitely included an UHD drive in the PS4 Slim and of course the same applies to the PS4 Pro. Even if you are not going to use the 4K optical drive, it's nice to have the option there just in case. That has got to be a major contributing factor for XBox S's surge in sales. Very intelligent of Microsoft to make the Xbox S the cheapest UHD player on the market. Reminds me Sony with the BluRay play in a way.

I doubt it had much to do with the UHD player itself. But the marketing and messaging that Xbox had features Playstation did not have will automatically contribute to better word of mouth and sales.

I doubt most people who pull the trigger will do so because they have 4KUHD BR's they just can't check out without an XB1.

LordofPwn

Comparing percentages with percentages is not a good idea.

40% market share to 71% is a 31% point increase and at the same time a 76% increase in percentage points... One number looks way more impressive than the other, and that's why percentages can be misleading, though I'm sure I don't need to remind the Brits about that.

Also good for Xbox, the S looks sleek and the PS4 pro is around the corner. Wonder how much market saturation PS4 has achieved and if maybe it's anywhere nearing the ceiling.

Comparing percentages with percentages is not a good idea.

40% market share to 71% is a 31% point increase and at the same time a 76% increase in percentage points... One number looks way more impressive than the other, and that's why percentages can be misleading, though I'm sure I don't need to remind the Brits about that.

Also good for Xbox, the S looks sleek and the PS4 pro is around the corner. Wonder how much market saturation PS4 has achieved and if maybe it's anywhere nearing the ceiling.

Steady on, old chap. No need for unsportsmanlike conduct!

; _ ;

geordiemp

It looks like there is demand for the Xb1S, thats good.

Ps4 slim is not so hot.

Everyone I play with on Ps4 is getting or wants a Pro and have not pre-ordered, I have not yet, I think Sony will be hot with the Pro as well.

I would bet with anyone that Pro will have shortages.

The market will be good this xmas, console players can relax.

Just entered this thread for the first time since afternoon. It was already pretty bad then, but now...

1jA8IFU.png

Skeff

There could be some interesting post comparisons from this thread and next week's thread.

This thread is a result of Microsoft dropping price by £50 with a digital pack in.

Next week's thread is sony dropping the price by £100 with a physical pack in.

Edit: To clarify if there are any significant price drops in the UK that console is likely to see a large boost in sales regardless of brand.

wapplew

I mean, couple of weeks ago, PS4 sales increase almost 20000% in Japan with slim launch, I won't make conclusion about Slim finally crack Japan or 4K UHD support doesn't matter or Pro announcement doesn't affect Slim sales.

Lots of posters upset the X1s is beasting the charts and dominating the PS4 with its lacklustre game library.

Come on people, it's okay if the X1s wins one week, the PS4 will still be win the generation. You don't have to worry, your console of choice will still win the generation, even if it is the weakest one on the market by the time the next generation rolls around...

I can't believe how many people fell for this. We got the old Miles "Troll" Prower back for a little bit.

Or maybe Miles Edgeworth is a better name?

This isn't surprising. Primarily, there's more room for growth for Microsoft than Sony which may be more saturated, but even beyond that, the Xbox One S is a more intriguing console than the PS4 Slim, which besides being uglier than the PS4, really offers nothing else.

Meanwhile, the Xbox One Slim is a beautiful console, with a better controller, 4K video playback, HDR (right?), built in power brick, and it's substantially smaller than the original Xbox One. The Slim offers a decent purchase proposition for existing Xbox One owners, but a strong purchase proposition for non-Xbox One owners, while the PS4 slim offers virtually no purchase proposition for existing PS4 owners and only middling purchase proposition for non-PS4 owners.

I came here to write exactly this. *Cheers*

Curufinwe

Meanwhile, the Xbox One Slim is a beautiful console, with a better controller, 4K video playback, HDR (right?), built in power brick, and it's substantially smaller than the original Xbox One. The Slim offers a decent purchase proposition for existing Xbox One owners, but a strong purchase proposition for non-Xbox One owners, while the PS4 slim offers virtually no purchase proposition for existing PS4 owners and only middling purchase proposition for non-PS4 owners.

So Sony are going to come 2nd in the September and October NPD?

Ushay

And they said Xbox Scorpio would slam One S sales.. looks like its the other way around. Pro seems to have slammed Slim sales?

And they said Xbox Scorpio would slam One S sales.. looks like its the other way around. Pro seems to have slammed Slim sales?

Sony doesn't care, the PS4 Slim is just a revision that replaces the original model....

Of course people are waiting for Pro, you know it's coming in a few weeks.

Scorpio is coming in 14 months.... :D

Dabanton

Yeah, the thirst for $30 movie discs is huge....
LOL

it is if your internet is shit. And you have a 4K tv

And even with superfast internet you're not actually streaming '4K'. There would certain movies I would be interested in seeing on 4K disc format which don't have to compromise on picture or sound.

Dabanton

Define certain? Two movies a year?

For me? Probably 15 and upwards if the transfer is excellent, but like most things prices go down,Blu Rays used to cost 30 quid I remember buying some DVDs for 45 quid when they were newish. And then prices fell as they made more and adoption grew. The same will happen with UHD discs.

Top Bottom