• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 hits PS4 on May 26th, $24.99: PS3 Stick Support Confirmed!

I don't play competitively. I just look for what themes I enjoy most when picking a fighter. I suck at playing T. Hawk but I get a kick out of his cheesey native American gimmick. I love Fei Long to death and Ken is my shoto of choice. I enjoy Guy's speed so I play him. I don't claim to entirely understand the meta-game and I prefer it that way. I usually beat the story with the characters I like, try out the online mode for a bit and then set them down. I played probably 200 plus hours of SF2 back in the day but I just don't have fun playing against people who spam fireballs trying to zone or playing actual good players. I'll freely admit that I enjoy taking on the A.I. far more than real people. I simply have no desire to get really good at the game. I just want to explore the stories and play around with everyone.

As a kid, I loved playing as Blanka (he is easy to play) and Zangief/Dhalsim was hilarious. really, most of the original SF2 cast was pretty awesome and fun to play as in SF 4. I'm hoping in SF5 they bring back characters from the 1st game that they have left out so far. I would love to see them redesigned.

funkypie

Banned
Plinking is irrelevant to what he is asking about and probably way over his head. He's basically asking how to understand frame data. Im on mobile so I dont have a resource handy but you can google SF4 frame data and it will explain linking moves together. Understanding frames is a great way to understand how combos work and what is possible.

As far as Sagat goes he is way tamer now. Dont get bogged down in who is OP or who is popular, just play who you like and look for resources online to help you practice.

I read the whole thing and it did indeed go over my head and wasn't what I was asking lol.

I was just curious why sagat was op, not looking to play op characters.

Meh, I thought his questions about linking and timing were pretty relevant to plinking, but I agree that it's a bit of an advanced technique. Better to learn early on though.
Plinking gives you better odds at landing your links but it does nothing to explain what a link actually is. At high level its a staple of every player, but its also pretty hard to learn. Im not knocking you for helping out, but a lot of times newcomers can get overwhelmed with advanced starts when they really need to take it easy at first.

jacobeid

Banned
Plinking gives you better odds at landing your links but it does nothing to explain what a link actually is. At high level its a staple of every player, but its also pretty hard to learn. Im not knocking you for helping out, but a lot of times newcomers can get overwhelmed with advanced starts when they really need to take it easy at first.

I edited my response after you quoted me in an attempt to provide some useful and less complicated information for the poster.

Ostinatto

iLi2YfymaMqhX.gif

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Capcom is making the PS4 version the official tournament-standard. Can't see this being a shit port.

I read the whole thing and it did indeed go over my head and wasn't what I was asking lol.

Check this link out. The actual frame data may be outdated, but its a decent primer that should help you understand.

Linking is just comboing a move after another one hits. The frame data tells you how long moves take so you can piece together some combos.

Windforce

The game has 20.9K likes already in my PS4 menu... wow. Is this counting the people who rated the rental? If not, the thirst is real.

Vice

Frame data is how much of an advantage or disadvatage you're at after an attack and how fast a a move comes out and stays out. For example Ryu's jab comes out in 4 frames and if it's blocked it's. +2. A sweep comes out in 5 frames but if it's blocked its -14.

Linking is connecting one move to another to combo. They range from difficult, one frame links, to very easy, 3 or more frame links.

ACESmkII

Purchased and started the download remotely. I'm not off work for about four hours, hopefully it is download and installed by the time I get home.

It's been awhile since I played SF4, last version I played was Super on PS3, just like riding a bike though. My timing may be a bit off because of less input lag and jumping around from XRd and MKX.

I don't play competitively. I just look for what themes I enjoy most when picking a fighter. I suck at playing T. Hawk but I get a kick out of his cheesey native American gimmick. I love Fei Long to death and Ken is my shoto of choice. I enjoy Guy's speed so I play him. I don't claim to entirely understand the meta-game and I prefer it that way. I usually beat the story with the characters I like, try out the online mode for a bit and then set them down. I played probably 200 plus hours of SF2 back in the day but I just don't have fun playing against people who spam fireballs trying to zone or playing actual good players. I'll freely admit that I enjoy taking on the A.I. far more than real people. I simply have no desire to get really good at the game. I just want to explore the stories and play around with everyone.

As a kid, I loved playing as Blanka (he is easy to play) and Zangief/Dhalsim was hilarious. really, most of the original SF2 cast was pretty awesome and fun to play as in SF 4. I'm hoping in SF5 they bring back characters from the 1st game that they have left out so far. I would love to see them redesigned.
Thats how I played it on SNES all the time as a kid. Went to the arcade to play Champion Edition and took my first ass beating. To me, it started my path towards learning and getting more competitive. But I say there's nothing wrong with just playing casual against AI and friends, the game is fun on a wide range of skill levels as long as you're evenly matched. People shouldnt miss out on SF entirely because they aren't competitive, it's a great series.

Skilletor

I stuck it out and forced myself to plink all 1f and 2f links. It took awhile, and I don't think I'll ever be 100% at it, but I'm so so glad i did it. It's really worth it if you have the time and patience.

2 frame links are easy for me. 1 frame links less so, but I don't have a problem. I can do Ibuki tsumiji links no problem.

I dunno, didn't want to develop muscle memory for something that's not going to carry over to other games, whereas just learning the timing for things would. I get optimizing for SF4, though.

funkypie

Banned
I'm actually trying online now to find 25 dollar psn cards can only find 10, 20 and 50 for my us account. Obviously don't want to overpay.

Top Bottom