• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 is much, much better now. Bless.

sleepykyo

Other Ocean was responsible for the port but Sony is at fault here for outsourcing the port to a developer which couldn't deliver the product as promised.

Game should've been fixed before release, not weeks after. Good that they're looking into it though.

Which means Sony is at least partly responsible for the port. Instead of getting Bluepoint (who has done good for Sony in the past) they went with ex Backbone staff, who mangled various PS3 ports and the MK arcade collection.

maks

So I guess this tests methodology is inaccuate? But ps4 version is still way off.

WTF

I would say its relevantly useful. They tested ps3 and 360 with the same methodolofy and found 5 frames lag on 360. A 3 frame difference between 360 ans ps4 is very noticeable.

vg260

Yeah, it's important to not just look at the "8 frames of input lag" in their test and parade that number around without looking at their other results.
Still, it indicates an issue.

The whole game now feels like the PS4 emulating another system running the game, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, it's important to not just look at the "8 frames of input lag" in their test and parade that number around without looking at their other results.
Still, it indicates an issue.

The whole game now feels like the PS4 emulating another system running the game, if that makes any sense.

Could it be the PS Now version ?

/s

Imm0rt4l

I would say its relevantly useful. They tested ps3 and 360 with the same methodolofy and found 5 frames lag on 360. A 3 frame difference between 360 ans ps4 is very noticeable.
I agree which is why I said ps4 version is still way off. Flawed as it is, it's used across the board so it's still very useful.

Gren

Embarrassing for all three parties involved. It's literally the MCC of SF4; they even claimed it'd be the definitive version when it turned out to be anything but that.

At least Wiz confirmed they have the option of going back to 360 for Evo. I'm sure the things would have gotten even uglier if it had impacted the event.

Don't blame QA. As much as people want to think QA can stop a game from releasing I have seen it not to be true despite the discovery of ship-blocker issues. Even Sony Compliance can fail a submission in which case a little massaging of issues by those in charge will lower issue severity until the game passes. Those in charge of Production has the last say here.

Reach out to the producers at ocean and external producer at sony. They are ultimately responsible and made the decision to release despite these obvious issues.

I hope a message is released soon with an apology and assurance that a patch is in the works. Unfortunately i dont expect patch 1 to fix issues to the FGCs satisfaction. The complaints about input lag is very concerning and may be tough to resolve.

Exactly. I really doubt QA actually played this and thought it was completely fine. Like you said, it was up to production and they thought it was still a KS that they can fix with a patch, which it is.

Embarrassing for all three parties involved. It's literally the MCC of SF4; they even claimed it'd be the definitive version when it turned out to be anything but that.

At least Wiz confirmed they have the option of going back to 360 for Evo. I'm sure the things would have gotten even uglier if it had impacted the event.

Can you go online? Has this game been out for months with absolutely no fix? As someone who played MCC near release, this is nowhere near as bad.

Ziffles

So I guess this tests methodology is inaccuate? But ps4 version is still way off.

WTF

They tally their frame lag at 60hz, so they're showing 2x as many frames as you'd normally hear.

(edit: I think? I just assumed that when most people talk about frames of input lag on consoles, they're usually referring to 30hz, since that's what most console games ran at for a while)

Mikey Jr.

So much broken shit being released these days, there should be some kind of penalty in place.

Yeah, it's called wait a few hours and read impressions before you blindly buy shit as soon as it comes out.

It penalizes the people who released it.

Can't believe people bought this the second it came out. Come on people.

Having said that, Sony deserves all the shit they are getting.

Nyx

Yeah, it's called wait a few hours and read impressions before you blindly buy shit as soon as it comes out.

It penalizes the people who released it.

Can't believe people bought this the second it came out. Come on people.

Having said that, Sony deserves all the shit they are getting.

If no one buys it the second it's released, there wouldn't be any impressions.

farisr

They tally their frame lag at 60hz, so they're showing 2x as many frames as you'd normally hear.

(edit: I think? I just assumed that when most people talk about frames of input lag on consoles, they're usually referring to 30hz, since that's what most console games ran at for a while)

This game displays and runs at 60fps/60 hz. The frame lag count is correct.

Imm0rt4l

I don't think it's unfair to have expected this port to have been done properly.
Not at all since sony was championing this as the definitive version. They sold this to us on false pretenses.

It's 60 for this game and most fighting games

JP

Here's your PS4 video vs. the game on PS3.

ps4.gif7uoxm.gif
ps3bnpik.gif

It's like it's going at half speed
That's so strange, only played it for about 15 minutes but I'm certainly not getting any issues like that. I always have to qualify any Street Fighter comments that I make by saying I'm not a major Street Fighter fan and only play them from time to time so there may well be things that I'm not aware of that others are but I'm definitely not having any issues with it like those.

I can't imagine it makes any difference but I'm using one of these which, apart from the slightly cumbersome method of using PS3 pads, appears to be working exactly the same as it did on the PS3.

I'm also using a 2TB hdd rather than the stock drive but I've no idea if that's the area where the issues lie for some people.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I hate to say it, but the less we see of a game the more likely it's going to be bugged to shit when it is released. Gotta watch out for yourself this gen sadly, too many buggy unfinished games.

Gotta make it a common practice to not buy games that are in situations such as these on day one. Silence is scary.

Don't blame QA. As much as people want to think QA can stop a game from releasing I have seen it not to be true despite the discovery of ship-blocker issues. Even Sony Compliance can fail a submission in which case a little massaging of issues by those in charge will lower issue severity until the game passes. Those in charge of Production has the last say here.

Reach out to the producers at ocean and external producer at sony. They are ultimately responsible and made the decision to release despite these obvious issues.

I hope a message is released soon with an apology and assurance that a patch is in the works. Unfortunately i dont expect patch 1 to fix issues to the FGCs satisfaction. The complaints about input lag is very concerning and may be tough to resolve.
Back in my day, if a game racked up enough points during certification, it could certainly fail and be forced to resubmit. I doubt very much these days though, if anyone even noticed 'input lag' they'd bother writing it up, or that the bug would even be vetted if they did.

roknin

Exactly. I really doubt QA actually played this and thought it was completely fine. Like you said, it was up to production and they thought it was still a KS that they can fix with a patch, which it is.

Yeah this is true, though I still wonder if QA did manage to see this stuff as well. Seems like things like the name display bugs and menu lag would have been immediate flags, and disappearing projectiles would be showstoppers hard-release date for marketing or not.

But, I do get that QA's hands are often tied. Either not enough time, or the publisher hand-waiving it all to reach a deadline.

Now I'm more curious which case it is, though I doubt we'll ever find out.

hemo memo

Gold Member
"Ultra Street Fighter IV Is Kinda Broken on PS4"

•Kotaku

Bugs, glitches, lag. You name it, and people are reporting that Ultra Street Fighter IV’s PS4 port has it.
Last year, Ultra Street Fighter IV was released in arcades as well as on the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. This week, the PS4 port hit, and boy, does it appear to have problems.

"Yep, Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 sure looks great"

•Destructoid

Ryu and the gang are back yet again folks for another go at your wallet. The good news?Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 is legitimately one of the best releases yet, which is now available digitally for $25, clocking in at 14GB. It's a good thing because for starters, the PS4 console installbase is thriving, leaving plenty of room for long-term community growth -- until Street Fighter V presumably hits sometime next year of course.
It's the smoothest it's ever been, and I've had no real issues in terms of lag or framerate drops.
1080p60 on a console is nice, and only the most trained veterans will be able to notice the minor input lag from the previous generation to the PS4 -- since it's going to be the new de facto build for tournies, you can only assume this will be patched soon, but nothing has been confirmed yet from Capcom. The menus are a bit slower compared to other versions, which seems like a bug -- still, it's not a dealbreaker unless you compete at a high level.

I don't know what to say..

RedAssedApe

Banned
"Ultra Street Fighter IV Is Kinda Broken on PS4"

•Kotaku

"Yep, Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 sure looks great"

•Destructoid

I don't know what to say..

hehe...although the destructoid stuff isn't really THAT off-base. casuals aren't going to know this port is borked. gonna argue that the online warriors who don't play in tourneys but are ok players might not be able to tell either. but yes this version is fucked for tournament/high level play in its current state

AmyS

"Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 is a bad, bad port"

•Lazygamer

Pro and not-so-pro players from around the globe have expressed their dissatisfaction with USFIV on the PS4, saying that the game has input lag, moves have been unintentionally nerfed, frame data is off and there are glitches galore. Even the menus are slow and choppy.

These are the sorts of issues that completely break the Fighting Game experience – and it’s inexcusable. This would be relatively okay if not for one thing: This is meant to be the version of the game that’s used at EVO and other pro tournaments, displacing the old consoles – but there’s no way on earth the game is ready for that. It’s not even ready to be released.

hehe...although the destructoid stuff isn't really THAT off-base. casuals aren't going to know this port is borked. gonna argue that the online warriors who don't play in tourneys but are ok players might not be able to tell either. but yes this version is fucked for tournament/high level play in its current state
Pretty much from casual POV its perfect. Its the same people who say they have 0 issue Mkx online. But anyone who played a decent amount of fighters can point out right away how trash this port is.

vcc

You'd figure that since Sony and Capcom have significant vested interests in this; they'd make some effort to address performance and frame lag issues? Also some mentioned it wasn't present in previous versions; did they just cock up on one version? It happens, small changes can have massive consequences. Maybe they just need to roll back that change?

UberTag

So much broken shit being released these days, there should be some kind of penalty in place.
The penalty is that consumers need to start holding publishers accountable with their wallets.
And, if they refuse to do so, we will all suffer.

Justinh

This would have to be fixed really quickly, wouldn't it? Like...they couldn't just show up at EVO's or CEO's doorstep with it going "Hey, guess what? Works now!" right?

I was always under the impression that players trained on certain hardware in order to prepare for tourneys, since all the different console versions "feel a tiny bit different."

Maybe I think this because of the Chris G thing a couple years ago, but it makes me think they really have not enough time for the big tourneys.

unrelated:
I was actually thinking about going to spectate at CEO this year since it's only like 10 minutes away and I've always wanted to check it out. If they were going to use the PS4 version (doubtful) I feel I'd have no choice but to go.

Yeah this is true, though I still wonder if QA did manage to see this stuff as well. Seems like things like the name display bugs and menu lag would have been immediate flags, and disappearing projectiles would be showstoppers hard-release date for marketing or not.

But, I do get that QA's hands are often tied. Either not enough time, or the publisher hand-waiving it all to reach a deadline.

Now I'm more curious which case it is, though I doubt we'll ever find out.

A QA department given more than a week to test any piece of software would have found a lot of problems related to frame delays, stuttering menus and sound bugs. My money is on a failure to finish the day 1 patch attributable to mismanagement.

I can agree with this. I'm a low to mid range player at best and exclusively an online warrior, so aside from the slow menus and the multiplayer name glitch it plays well to me. :\

I played 25 or so matches in about an hour and a half and the experience seemed smooth to me on all but 3 matches. I'll keep playing and having blissfully unaware fun until a patch comes along.

What I'm saying is that I can see where some reviewers would see this as a great port. Almost no reviewers are anywhere near tourney level players. If the reviewer is someone like me, it seems OK.

Onemic

I can agree with this. I'm a low to mid range player at best and exclusively an online warrior, so aside from the slow menus and the multiplayer name glitch it plays well to me. :\

I played 25 or so matches in about an hour and a half and the experience seemed smooth to me on all but 3 matches. I'll keep playing and having blissfully unaware fun until a patch comes along.

What I'm saying is that I can see where some reviewers would see this as a great port. Almost no reviewers are anywhere near tourney level players. If the reviewer is someone like me, it seems OK.

Dont you get glitches/bugs relating to your username when playing online though? Or the other sound bugs people have posted?

roknin

This would have to be fixed really quickly, wouldn't it? Like...they couldn't just show up at EVO's or CEO's doorstep with it going "Hey, guess what? Works now!" right?

I was always under the impression that players trained on certain hardware in order to prepare for tourneys, since all the different console versions "feel a tiny bit different."

Maybe I think this because of the Chris G thing a couple years ago, but it makes me think they really have not enough time for the big tourneys.

Pretty much. It's why, for example, when preparing for tourneys, even something as seemingly simple as the monitor being used is such a big deal. You practice things like BnB combos and such on whatever is standard (or as close to standard as you can get), so that when it comes time for the big show, your muscle memory isn't thrown off.

A few frames of lag can make a huge difference. It's the reason there was such a big push for 360 to be the standard to begin with (since PS3 version was notoriously laggy).

Having things like an E. Ryu Ultra just randomly whiff mid-combo is... unacceptable.

If they got this fully patched before Evo, I would be absolutely amazed... buuuut I dunno' if I would trust it if I were a tourney-level USF4 player.

EDIT:

A QA department given more than a week to test any piece of software would have found a lot of problems related to frame delays, stuttering menus and sound bugs. My money is on a failure to finish the day 1 patch attributable to mismanagement.

Yeah, same... I kinda' forgot the sound bugs, no way in hell that got past anybody lmao.

Razzorn34

Pretty much. They probably just ran out of time and said fuck it. I'm glad I didn't buy this mess yet.

Dont you get glitches/bugs relating to your username when playing online though? Or the other sound bugs people have posted?

Yeah. I mentioned that I did experience the multiplayer name glitch. It reminded me of when I bought the PC version of vanilla long, long ago. I think that game had similar issues for me.

L2P

Neo Member
i saw the name glitch and the laggy menus... but found this no where near "unplayable" . Sure it can be improved but so could the PS3/Xbox version

Top Bottom