• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 is much, much better now. Bless.

Pretty much. They probably just ran out of time and said fuck it. I'm glad I didn't buy this mess yet.

In fairness to the developers I'm sure the decision was more than just 'fuck it.' Slipping a patch deadline is expensive as hell. I don't envy the people crunching through a holiday weekend only to slip anyway.

Justinh

Pretty much. It's why, for example, when preparing for tourneys, even something as seemingly simple as the monitor being used is such a big deal. You practice things like BnB combos and such on whatever is standard (or as close to standard as you can get), so that when it comes time for the big show, your muscle memory isn't thrown off.

A few frames of lag can make a huge difference. It's the reason there was such a big push for 360 to be the standard to begin with (since PS3 version was notoriously laggy).

Having things like an E. Ryu Ultra just randomly whiff mid-combo is... unacceptable.

If they got this fully patched before Evo, I would be absolutely amazed... buuuut I dunno' if I would trust it if I were a tourney-level USF4 player.

Thanks for clarifying. I appreciate it.

A QA department given more than a week to test any piece of software would have found a lot of problems related to frame delays, stuttering menus and sound bugs. My money is on a failure to finish the day 1 patch attributable to mismanagement.

Probably a good guess. Some of this stuff seems so crazy to get through. It all seems patachable however.

edit: The real question is, will they actually fix it.

HardRojo

hehe...although the destructoid stuff isn't really THAT off-base. casuals aren't going to know this port is borked. gonna argue that the online warriors who don't play in tourneys but are ok players might not be able to tell either. but yes this version is fucked for tournament/high level play in its current state
Yep. People who only play FGs casually will not notice much difference to be honest. A couple of friends bought it and they told me they hardly see anything wrong with the port lol. They don't really play FGs.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yep. People who only play FGs casually will not notice much difference to be honest. A couple of friends bought it and they told me they hardly see anything wrong with the port lol. They don't really play FGs.

Hmm...I'd probably not notice a thing either then. I just wanted to play some other random scrubs online and enjoy the outfits, pretending this is just a prettier SF2 from the early 90's. Maybe it is safe to buy...?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hmm...I'd probably not notice a thing either then. I just wanted to play some other random scrubs online and enjoy the outfits, pretending this is just a prettier SF2 from the early 90's. Maybe it is safe to buy...?

probably. too bad they don't have demos like the 360 had for its digital games.

Duxxy3

8 frames of lag. This won't be fixed anytime soon. Time to send back the PS4 sticks and bust out the 360 sticks.

rhandino

Banned
i saw the name glitch and the laggy menus... but found this no where near "unplayable" . Sure it can be improved but so could the PS3/Xbox version

OOTsOQ4.png

I get that some people don't mind laggy menus and framerate issues in some of their games but, just like in competitive shooters, some of these issues are really unacceptable.

Sound issues? Funny! Labels issues? Funny! Input delay and/or animation glitches? HELL NO!

-----

And please, let's fucking not with the excuse/comment "Oh! but the regular Joe will not notice this issues, only the Pros" because that's incredible awfull. People feel these kinds of things, they may not be able to pinpoit and name what is wrong but they will notice there are problems in there...

SgtCobra

So any official word on a patch besides that one tweet by the PS4 port guy?
They're still investigating stuff. I like how the Other Ocean dev Twitter accounts don't post anything related to this screw up. Meanwhile lots of fighting game fans have been tearing them apart on Twitter, same goes for Capcom.

Icarus

Other Ocean? Why didn't they use Q-Loc, who did all of the work on the PC versions of SF games and all of the development on all platforms for Ultra? They do the best ports.

L2P

Neo Member
http://i.imgur.com/OOTsO

And please, let's fucking not with the excuse/comment "Oh! but the regular Joe will not notice this issues, only the Pros" because that's incredible awfull. People feel these kinds of things, they may not be able to pinpoit and name what is wrong but they will notice there are problems in there...[/QUOTE]

Im not an average joe.. at least i dont think... I did every 1 frame link combo that i normally do... and I dont plink my shorts. its seems fine

As long as they fix it asap, and by asap i mean less than a month, then i'm okay with this.

I will try to play online tonight to see if it's any better. Yesterday, i couldn't get a game but maybe that was due to the fact that the game just came in... ?

kewlbot

oh my god the dudley sound glitch is hilarious
reminds me of the silent hill collection sound issues
and when i think of that i think of high voltage.....hmmmm

these are seriously bad. i don't plan on buying this game again but i really hope they fix these stuff for those street fighter faithfuls

Onemic

I played in training mode for a bit. I only used a controller though and not a stick, so I can't say for sure if I noticed any lag or not. I'll connect my stick later today and see if anything feels different.

stn

For those who are new to fighting games, 8 frames of lag is a HUGE deal. Hell, ONE frame of lag would constitute a huge deal. Unfortunate that these guys shipped the game without any quality testing. Ridiculous.

Dai101

Banned

And thanks to people like yoursefl shit like this happens.

Skilletor

For those who are new to fighting games, 8 frames of lag is a HUGE deal. Hell, ONE frame of lag would constitute a huge deal. Unfortunate that these guys shipped the game without any quality testing. Ridiculous.

Especially after saying they eliminated the lag from the PS3 version. lmao @ it being worse.

RobRSG

I'm not seeing any reason for optimism. 8 frames of lag is pretty much the death blow. They released it like that, obviously it wasn't fixable to begin with.

Pretty much it. I guess to solve this they should port it from ground again or give it to a skilled dev to make a structural change.

We pretty much seen this on Zone of the Enders HD.

I preferred thinking that Other Ocean messed up the updates and state Something like this: "We are sorry! There's was a problem with the day 1 patch roll out, and we are committed to release a correction pretty quickly!"

But their silence is already the death blow.

Yup! Menus will be a little slow, but it doesn't really matter.

Is the 8 frames of lag only with a stick?

Grakl

The numbers actually show that the PS4 version has 3 more frames of lag than the Xbox 360 version. So, if you consider the 360 version effectively lagless, or at least the benchmark, then the PS4 version doesn't have 8 frames of lag, but 3. The PS3 was always said to have around 2 frames of lag, not 6.whatever even though that's what the data says -- that's 2 more frames than the 360 version. So it's not 8 frames bad if you're used to the 360, but 3 frames is still shit (and worse than the PS3 lmao).

FranXico

Im not an average joe.. at least i dont think... I did every 1 frame link combo that i normally do... and I dont plink my shorts. its seems fine

Are you using an arcade stick or the DS4? There seems to be additional lag introduced by faulty integration of the Zero Labs driver.

The same people saying 8 frames of lag also said 360 has 5 frames of lag so you're gonna have to hold it.

Duxxy3

The 360 version is 5.1 frames of lag, the PS3 version at 6.4 frames of lag. If the pro players got the PS3 version thrown out of all tournaments for that difference, what did Sony/Capcom think the pros would think of 8 frames of lag?

On a side note - Capcom has known about that difference between the 360 and PS3 versions and never fixed it. The game is seven years old and it was never fixed. People that think an even larger discrepancy can be fixed in 50 days, along with every other bug, aren't seeing things clearly.

Hasney

They should have gotten them but wasn't the PC version a mess as well

Kind of. Vanilla was great, so was Super AE at launch... Then they removed GFWL and the netcode went to shit and that was how Ultra launched as well. But they fixed it, the change to Steamworks and no longer using GFWLs matchmaking threw them a curve ball it seemed.

L2P

Neo Member
The 360 version is 5.1 frames of lag, the PS3 version at 6.4 frames of lag. If the pro players got the PS3 version thrown out of all tournaments for that difference, what did Sony/Capcom think the pros would think of 8 frames of lag?

have you ever played on a sf4 cab? the PS3 version was fine

On a side note - Capcom has known about that difference between the 360 and PS3 versions and never fixed it. The game is seven years old and it was never fixed. People that think an even larger discrepancy can be fixed in 50 days, along with every other bug, aren't seeing things clearly.
It could be easily fixed, you have no justification for saying it cant be based on PS3, that had a crazy hardware architecture. In the same way though, I have no justification for saying they will fix it.

I'd bet on everything else being fixed easily, and input delay being brought down to 360 levels may or may not happen.

Just asked for a refund:

Josue: Thank you {NAME}, in this case I do apologize but it is not possible to process a refund. According to the PlayStation User Agreement all sales are final. However we can try to fix the issue.

Josue: It seems some internal data in the PS4 may be corrupted, please follow this link https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044/kw/safe mode once you enter into safe mode, select the option 5 that is "rebuild data base" This should solve the issue.This will not erase any game or saved data.
If the issue still persist, please delete and re-install the game, if it is an issue with the game, maybe the developers with launch a patch soon.

Helpful.

Things are way different now then before. Sony/Capcom have a deal for SF5 to get people off the Xbox for Street Fighter. I really doubt Sony is gonna let this port stay in this condition, but at this point all I can do is speculate.

RedAssedApe

Banned
also whats the the talk of this being an outdated 1.04 version...were there multiple versions of the original last gen console versions of ultra (i.e. patches to that game)?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I thought ps3 input latency suffered an extra 2 frames on all games due an issue with the ps3 itself. So 360 was the preferred tourny system for all fighters.

Onemic

Not good enough for tournaments apparently.

From what I remember the main people that complained about input lag on PS3 were American/European players that didnt have access to SF4 cabs, since sf4 cabs had the same amount of input lag as the PS3. Of course since most majors were held in the US, most tournaments were on the 360. EVO was the exception until last year when MS sponsored the event. It's also why some jpn players complained about dropping combos on the 360 version of the game, because of the lag difference.

I thought ps3 input latency suffered an extra 2 frames on all games due an issue with the ps3 itself. So 360 was the preferred tourny system for all fighters.
I remember hearing this too, a lot of other fighters also had that delay on PS3.

Its almost like they ported the PS3 version instead of the more logical PC or even 360 version.

Top Bottom