• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 is much, much better now. Bless.

Skilletor

https://twitter.com/gilley3D/status/603799238523269120

I knew I wasn't just being a scrub. Apparently, Gilley determined his version to have similar input lag to the PS3 version.

I've played this for hours, and I just couldn't feel this "massive input lag" that others were talking about...this is why.

Apparently, the problems that this game has are not exactly consistent for all players.

(P.S. If you don't know Gilley, you should. In the vanilla days he gave us frame data and godlike Guile combo videos. An OG.)

Wasn't Gilley the one that debunked the SF3 input lag for Online Edition?

I for sure remember his combo videos, though. Dude is legit.

Nyoro SF

Pretty much this.

Nope, great Capcom ports happen only when they do the job internally. QLOC's SSF4AE on PC was hot garbage - missing a ton of screen resolution modes/aspect ratios, random lag and stuttering even in training mode, missing lighting effects etc, and as .:Wesker:. posted their other jobs are full of holes. Not as bad as Other Ocean or High Voltage but vastly inferior to ports like DMC4 or vanilla SF4.

Hm? I don't remember ANY of that for the USF4 PC version. Mine ran perfectly, the only thing that was a problem was the stutter freezes online (which were really bad, mind you). But they FINALLY fixed it after they pulled their only software programmer out of dev hell to patch the online code.

mattp

『Inaba Resident』;165512807 said:
Skullgirls isn't out on PS4 yet.

woops! for some reason i thought the port came out already

edit: but mkx uses the driver right? so, same question for mkx. does using ps3 sticks add extra latency?

vg260

Hm? I don't remember ANY of that for the USF4 PC version. Mine ran perfectly, the only thing that was a problem was the stutter freezes online (which were really bad, mind you). But they FINALLY fixed it after they pulled their only software programmer out of dev hell to patch the online code.

It actually appeared to be more of a Steam client P2P matching making issue they needed Valve to help solve, not necessarily an issue with the game's netcode itself.

Skilletor

woops! for some reason i thought the port came out already

edit: but mkx uses the driver right? so, same question for mkx. does using ps3 sticks add extra latency?

Some people have said this is the case, though I don't believe there has been any actual testing done.

Hmm so playing this game offline simulates an online environment. Not terrible, but if it becomes cumulative with actual online play. Then now you have a huge problem.

I'm assuming there's no "network simulation" option like there is in DOA: Last Round.

Was gonna buy this copy of USF4 but I can't tolerate something that feels like a ~133 ping in offline play when it should be zero.

Wow now I'm learning it apperently has the same amount of lag as the PS3 copy. Jeez I'd probably feel right at home then. Maybe I should buy it. This really only slightly fucked over Xbox and PC players.

Skilletor

Hmm so playing this game offline simulates an online environment. Not terrible, but if it becomes cumulative with actual online play. Then now you have a huge problem.

I'm assuming there's no "network simulation" option like there is in DOA: Last Round.

Was gonna buy this copy of USF4 but I can't tolerate something that feels like a ~133 ping in offline play when it should be zero.

Wow now I'm learning it apperently has the same amount of lag as the PS3 copy. Jeez I'd probably feel right at home then. Maybe I should buy it. This really only slightly fucked over Xbox and PC players.

There's far more wrong with the port than input lag.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, great Capcom ports happen only when they do the job internally. QLOC's SSF4AE on PC was hot garbage - missing a ton of screen resolution modes/aspect ratios, random lag and stuttering even in training mode, missing lighting effects etc, and as .:Wesker:. posted their other jobs are full of holes. Not as bad as Other Ocean or High Voltage but vastly inferior to ports like DMC4 or vanilla SF4.
I don't remember any of this. The PC version started to suck when they did their Steamworks hackjob, before that I only had a few typical GFWL problems like not being able to play certain people.

Compared to the other versions, with the extra input delay, it effectively does.
Input delay does not feel like ~133ping online play, it just doesn't. There's hardly any difference in delay compared to PS3 which was closer to the arcade version than 360 and while people have preferences, no one was calling the PS3 online lag.

I know its a bad port but can we keep the criticisms realistic? It only gave my PS4 a virus and my first born a tumor.

Onemic

PC has the same amount of lag as the ps3 version. It doesnt matter anyway because the problems go far deeper than just input lag.

Is the game supposed to be released digitally in Japan this week as well?

Cause I'm not seeing it listed anywhere in the Japanese PSN store.

Hmmm... it's not on the HK PSN store either.

Dai101

Banned
So this is what Ocean Eleven and Sany basically did to the fans.

ScanImage0302.jpg

Poor Max. Damn d00d.

thelastword

Banned
My Gief just missed 2 Ultra's (Ultra1) at point blank range whilst playing against a Gouken who was doing an anti-air fireball. As soon as the match ended (online ranked), the game crashed. My first crash so far (obviously it knew something didn't go right there), lol.

I also got some strange sound whilst hitting dhalism in the arcade mode, almost like some robotic sound, though not as bad as the famous Dudley video, maybe it's because my audio volume is on low, but I still picked it up nonetheless.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
My Gief just missed 2 Ultra's (Ultra1) at point blank range whilst playing against a Gouken was doing an anti-air fireball. As soon as the match ended (online ranked), the game crashed. My first crash so far (obviously it knew something didn't go right there), lol.

I also got some strange sound whilst hitting dhalism in the arcade mode, almost like some robotic sound, though not as bad as the famous Dudley video, maybe it's because my audio volume is on low, but I still picked it up nonetheless.

Ultra Street Fighter IV Rainbow Edition in full effect!

nikos

The input lag is present even with PS4 sticks and controllers. My first thought, about 15 seconds into Training Mode, was "it feels like I'm playing online." When you do play online, it's even worse. The rest of the bugs/glitches can be fixed, but this is the main underlying issue here.

vg260

Input delay does not feel like ~133ping online play, it just doesn't. There's hardly any difference in delay compared to PS3 which was closer to the arcade version than 360 and while people have preferences, no one was calling the PS3 online lag.

I know its a bad port but can we keep the criticisms realistic?

How is playing a version with more input latency feeling similar to playing online not a realistic criticism? That seems like the most reasonable comparison. Isn't that what the online simulation setting does? Simulate more input latency?

My experience so far with this game: I plugged in my (PS3/PC) Hit Box controller, picked Ryu and went through Arcade mode. Then I spent some time in the training room. I didn't notice any problems at all. No menu lag, no input problems, nothing. I then played a few matches online, and started to see what everyone is complaining about. Everything felt slower, whether that was from internet lag or just with the game, I don't know. I also had trouble finding a Ranked match with a good connection.

Overall, I had no problems playing offline modes, but the online play did feel 'off'. But it certainly hasn't been the travesty that others are describing.

Stacey

Banned
So offline mode is basically simulating online play at the same rate of input lag as the ps3 version?

I dont get the fuss regarding that, however the bugs need to be fixed asap.

Paltheos

My Gief just missed 2 Ultra's (Ultra1) at point blank range whilst playing against a Gouken who was doing an anti-air fireball. As soon as the match ended (online ranked), the game crashed. My first crash so far (obviously it knew something didn't go right there), lol.

Normally my first reaction would be, "No, that can't be right. Are you sure you were at point blank range?" But given the Evil Ryu bug and everything else my first thought was, "I want to see that."

vg260

Amy word from Sony about this issue and if it's going to get patched.

Nothing other than they're looking into it.

Don't bother trying to request a refund, or request an exception via manager, even if done reasonably and politely as it will be denied as expected. Sadly, even in cases where something is fundamentally not what was advertised, they will not budge. "A patch is being worked on" is all they need the cover themselves. Seems they are on top of this and already directing people to Capcom's post on the issue, and to contact Capcom themselves, which is actually not helpful in this case.

So offline mode is basically simulating online play at the same rate of input lag as the ps3 version?

I dont get the fuss regarding that, however the bugs need to be fixed asap.

The reduced lag was a touted feature and very significant for establishing tournament standards.

Neoxon

Should I just pick it up now to experience the glitches before they're patched out, or just wait for the patch? Some of these bugs I need to see for myself.

vg260

Should I just pick it up now to experience the glitches before they're patched out, or just wait for the patch? Some of these bugs I need to see for myself.

Absolutely not. Not sure if you're joking, but they should not be rewarded for pushing out the game as-is. If they fix it, sure.

Dai101

Banned

Yeah. "Let give our money to this companies for their half assed efforts. That'll teach them to not do it again."

For real?

mhs004

Finally got around to play the game today. No problems when I was in training mode and fucking around with CPUs. It may be a different story when I go online though.

Onemic

Need a Gysnc monitor and it would be the best, but I think you can still match 360 with control panel vsync. displaylag tested them.

http://www.displaylag.com/reduce-input-lag-in-pc-games-the-definitive-guide/#prettyPhoto

Control panel vsync actually raises it to 0.1 higher than the PS3 version. Best way it seems is to do a windowed vsync, which gets it below the 360 version if you have an AMD GPU. tbh I've been using it with vsync on for almost a year now, so reducing it would just negatively impact my play. It's already difficult for me to go from PC to 360 because of the lag difference, haha.

Too bad G-Sync monitors are so damn expensive. It'll probably be a few good years before I ever buy one :(

Like what...? I have vsync off and there's absolutely no problems on my pc version...

Maybe they fixed this through some of their patches, as I havent played with vsync off for about a year,(so during the AE2012 days) but vsync off messes with the frames or something. Links are much easier to land with vsync on than vsync off. Once I switched and saw the difference, I never went back. Of course there's also screen tearing.

Tain

Like what...? I have vsync off and there's absolutely no problems on my pc version...

You'll get screen tearing assuming you aren't using a gsync monitor. Which may or may not bother you, especially given that it's less noticeable in a fighting game than in many other genres, but it's definitely present if you're running full screen with vsync off.

Maybe they fixed this through some of their patches, as I havent played with vsync off for about a year,(so during the AE2012 days) but vsync off messes with the frames or something. Links are much easier to land with vsync on than vsync off. Once I switched and saw the difference, I never went back.
Oh, interesting.

BokehKing

Banned
I want to get this for offline play, in my old age I have a hard enough time beating the computer on medium, let alone these kids from the younger generation. Does it work fair enough offline?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If they use this version at tournaments they'll have to keep the dualshock controllers locked in a safe during each match.

Directions on how to use the Lab Zero PS3 stick driver for USFIV on PS4

For one player:

Power up the PS4.
Use a PS4 controller to sign into an account or the guest account.
Load up USFIV.
Once the game is loaded, plug the PS3 stick of your choice into the other USB slot and the stick should now function.
Please note that:
the PS4 controller will also control the character even though the PS3 stick is plugged in.
the PS4 controller used to sign in must remain synched to the PS4. If it loses power or connectivity, the joystick will become deactivated.
For two players:

Power up the PS4.
Use a PS4 controller to sign into an account or the guest account.
Load up USFIV.
Once the game has loaded, player 1 should unplug the PS4 controller, yet ensure that it remains synched and plug in a PS3 stick of choice into one of the vacant USB slots. It should now function.
Player 1 should head to versus mode.
Once at the selection screen, Player 2 will then have to sign into another account or a guest account.
Once signed in, Player 2 should then press the “option” button to join versus mode.
Player 2 should now be able to move around the selection screen.
Once this is completed, player 2 should unplug in the PS4 controller, yet ensure that it remains synched and plug in a PS3 stick of choice into one of the vacant USB slots. The stick should now function.
Please note that:
the PS4 controllers will also control the characters even though the PS3 sticks are plugged in.
the PS4 controllers used to sign in must remain synched to the PS4. If either loses power or connectivity, the corresponding joystick will become deactivated.
With USFIV now out for PS4 and SFV coming out next year, the PS4 is the only console you'll need to fully experience Street Fighter moving forward. I know I have mine; do you have yours? If so, I'll see you online sometime.

Let's goooo!

UPDATE:

Please note that these statements are from Capcom.

For those experiencing issues and wondering about a patch, we are aware that you are experiencing problems with the PS4 version of USFIV, which was published and developed by SCEA’s Third Party Production group. SCEA and Capcom are currently looking into the issues that some users may be experiencing and are working to resolve them as quickly as possible. We will continue to provide updates on our progress.

A lot of our more competitive players have wondered how the USFIV version of PS4 will affect them and the tour. To that we'd like to advise that the integrity of the Capcom Pro Tour is a top priority for us and we will continue to work with tournament organizers worldwide to ensure that the highest quality event will be run. Each region will maintain its current hardware standard for the remainder of the 2015 Capcom Pro Tour until otherwise announced. We will keep you updated as to when the PS4 version of USFIV will be integrated into the Pro Tour.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Stay tuned for future information.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofiend/blog/2015/05/27/usfiv-on-ps4-out-today-update

Top Bottom