• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 is much, much better now. Bless.

Tesseract

Banned
Pretty much this.

Nope, great Capcom ports happen only when they do the job internally. QLOC's SSF4AE on PC was hot garbage - missing a ton of screen resolution modes/aspect ratios, random lag and stuttering even in training mode, missing lighting effects etc, and as .:Wesker:. posted their other jobs are full of holes. Not as bad as Other Ocean or High Voltage but vastly inferior to ports like DMC4 or vanilla SF4.

i don't remember any of that for ssf4ae

qloc does good, consistent work. lots of regular patches.

def sim

The offline stuttering didn't happen until the steam conversion and I don't think QLOC handled that. This is really the first place I'm seeing qloc hate. Rev 2 and RE5 steam must be really busted?

alstein

You are, but the vast majority of people arent. I highly doubt pros would be either, as evidenced by MKX as well.

The equivalent of this would be(coincidentally) writing off MKX/Injustice because the arcade kollection they outsourced was terrible across all platforms.

I'm also PC only these days. The online junk fees were enough to make me write off consoles- and SFV being PC/PS4 was enough to seal the deal. That's a major factor as well.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The western players will throw a fit if the game doesn't run as well as the 360 version. 360 version is the standard outside of japan.

The 360 version has been the standard in Japanese majors longer than it has been in America.

Hasney

QLOC's SSF4AE on PC was hot garbage - missing a ton of screen resolution modes/aspect ratios, random lag and stuttering even in training mode, missing lighting effects etc, and as .:Wesker:. posted their other jobs are full of holes. Not as bad as Other Ocean or High Voltage but vastly inferior to ports like DMC4 or vanilla SF4.

I had it at launch and don't remember any of that. Worked great and I'm sure I was able to play in 16:10.

EDIT: Heh, in fact I know I could based on my screenshots at the time

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=8814947

Recall

Do we need to make a list of devs that instantly raise the "this has a high chance of being a shit port" flag?

Other Ocean and High Voltage have a terrible track record yet I had no idea until I was caught out with my purchases. If I had known going in I would have held off.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nah, they did that bad port of MK collection last gen and they are ex-Backbone devs, you know the company that can't even port Sega Genesis games to PS360 right.

Though they didn't port the Mega Drive games, but emulated them instead. The emulator is far from perfect, but for all the games that are not timing sensitive, like the Shining Force-games for instance, the emulation is fine.

Kaleinc

Banned

I had it at launch and don't remember any of that. Worked great and I'm sure I was able to play in 16:10.

EDIT: Heh, in fact I know I could based on my screenshots at the time

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=8814947
Most don't remember anything as it was 4 years ago but the port was one good butthurt generator not to mention the idea was to restrict characters available for offline play on PC which was discarded post launch.
Thread on srk, Capcom acknowledging most of the issues.

Dunkley

Nope, great Capcom ports happen only when they do the job internally. QLOC's SSF4AE on PC was hot garbage - missing a ton of screen resolution modes/aspect ratios, random lag and stuttering even in training mode, missing lighting effects etc, and as .:Wesker:. posted their other jobs are full of holes. Not as bad as Other Ocean or High Voltage but vastly inferior to ports like DMC4 or vanilla SF4.

Bought at launch, ran great for me once I set the framerate setting to Fixed. Played a lot of online matches with friends and I never had any issues there, and I was glad to find out too it supported 16:10 monitors properly.

The only thing I just never was sure with was what Smooth ever did, I think they added it in over the regular SF4 port but all it did for me was make the game run terrible.

Edit:

Most don't remember anything as it was 4 years ago but the port was one good butthurt generator not to mention the idea was to restrict characters available for offline play on PC which was discarded post launch.

I see, looking at point three it really does make me wonder what the purpose of Smooth mode was with Fixed already being the solution of keeping up timing throughout framerate drops.

And holy crap yeah the character restriction seemed like the worst idea ever at the time.

Sixfortyfive

Though they didn't port the Mega Drive games, but emulated them instead. The emulator is far from perfect, but for all the games that are not timing sensitive, like the Shining Force-games for instance, the emulation is fine.

The sound emulation on those games sucked and in some cases they were completely missing important features. Sonic 3 was missing the level select, lock-on had to be patched in after people bitched about it, etc. Couldn't rerelease 15-year old games without fucking things up.

Compare those releases to the games that M2 released under the same Sega Vintage Collection banner and it's not even a contest.

I also remember a particularly scathing postmortem that David Sirlin wrote about Street Fighter 2 HD Remix where he said that he had to pick up a lot of slack that the rest of the team brushed off, poor netcode in particular.

You can tell who cares about doing the job right and who doesn't. Backbone did not care.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm sure it's been speculated on... But do we think this port will eventually be patched to perfection (even if it takes months)? Or is this a version I should write off forever?

Hasney

Oh yeah, I remember the offline mode shit. Made me cancel my pre-order (which I ended up putting in again because the first day of the Steam sale fucked up and reduced AE instead of vanilla SF4, which was fun), but that was Capcoms decision rather than QLOC.

The rest I fortunately didn't experience once I switched to fixed mode. The post about aspect ratios and resolutions not being supported looks like only one resolution wasn't supported based on the SRK thread?

Sixfortyfive

I'm sure it's been speculated on... But do we think this port will eventually be patched to perfection (even if it takes months)? Or is this a version I should write off forever?

Personally, I don't know if this version will be completely fixed before SF5's release.

And if that's the case, I wonder how much of a priority it is for the people calling the shots.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The sound emulation on those games sucked and in some cases they were completely missing important features. Sonic 3 was missing the level select, lock-on had to be patched in after people bitched about it, etc. Couldn't rerelease 15-year old games without fucking things up.

Compare those releases to the games that M2's released under the same Sega Vintage Collection banner and it's not even a contest.

I also remember a particularly scathing postmortem that David Sirlin wrote about Street Fighter 2 HD Remix where he said that he had to pick up a lot of slack that the rest of the team brushed off, poor netcode in particular.

You can tell who cares about doing the job right and who doesn't. Backbone did not care.
I can only judge their work on the Mega Drive Collection and yes, the games are not in their original state and I'd rather not play Sonic on the collection (Sonic 3 does not have Lock On, right. The missing level select is absolutely acceptable imo though), but Shining Force, Phantasy Star or Beyond Oasis do not suffer too much. In the collection, they just aimed for acceptable emulation quality and high compatibility with a lot of games though, considering the price, I'm not unhappy with their work there. Without a doubt, M2's work is beyond compare, though, and I'll happily pay more for their superior port / emulation jobs.

Sixfortyfive

I can only judge their work on the Mega Drive Collection and yes, the games are not in their original state and I'd rather not play Sonic on the collection (Sonic 3 does not have Lock On, right. The missing level select is absolutely acceptable imo though), but Shining Force, Phantasy Star or Beyond Oasis do not suffer too much. In the collection, they just aimed for acceptable emulation quality and high compatibility with a lot of games though, considering the price, I'm not unhappy with their work there. Without a doubt, M2's work is beyond compare, though, and I'll happily pay more for their superior port / emulation jobs.

You're talking about the disc Genesis Collection. I was talking about their individual releases on XBLA. Those were even worse.

Wasn't Gunstar Heroes outright missing proper 2-player support or something? I think they coded that release such that if one player pressed Start, then it always took you out of the game and into the emulator HUD... which prevents a player from joining in mid-game.

EDIT: Pretty sure this also made things like various debug mode features in the Sonic games impossible, for the same reason. Some of this stuff is less vital than others, but it just compounded upon the reasons to sigh and shake your head when you found out they were the ones working on a retro collection you were interested in.

It's like... That's just basic shit. They even had to do extra work to fuck that up. (Had the Start button just been mapped to the Genesis Start button function, there would have been no issue there.) Obvious signs that whoever is in charge does not care about the product in question.

Duxxy3

Personally, I don't know if this version will be completely fixed before SF5's release.

And if that's the case, I wonder how much of a priority it is for the people calling the shots.

I guess it depends on if they made their money back or not already. If they are close to breaking even they may not want to spend the money necessary to truly fix this version. Take it as a black mark and keep doing their best with SFV.

They'll probably fix the menu and ui issues and call it a day. The average player won't notice the difference beyond that.

BocoDragon

You'd think Capcom wouldn't want a bad port lurking out there forever, totally disappointing their ongoing courtship of the FGC.

But then again, these are lean times for Japanese console developers, what with SF5 needing Sony funding and all that. They could let this port exist in imperfection forever... But it would be a shame. They'll be selling this in PSN sales for years to come.

Piccoro

The Sega Megadrive Ultimate Collection for the PS3 and X360 has lots of glitches. In Streets of Rage 3 for example, when an enemy drops from above, there's a high screeching sound that sounds like your speakers are damaged.
Another funny glitch on PS3 is that if you have the Bluetooth wireless headset connected to the console while playing this, the sound of the games outputs through the headset. (Usually you can only hear voice chat).
Backbone were always terrible devs. Yet they kept doing ports for some reason.

...how is a missing level select in any way acceptable?

Renekton

But then again, these are lean times for Japanese console developers, what with SF5 needing Sony funding and all that. They could let this port exist in imperfection forever... But it would be a shame. They'll be selling this in PSN sales for years to come.
I'm thinking the contract to Other Ocean carries specific conditions even after successful internal testing sign-off, and Capcom could withhold milestone payment until those conditions (or respective lawyers) are met.

My employer (not game-related) was on the receiving end of this before.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
You'd think Capcom wouldn't want a bad port lurking out there forever, totally disappointing their ongoing courtship of the FGC.

It's more Sony's problem than Capcom's.

BocoDragon

Yeah. Sony's publishing it, and Combofiend was quick to point out that the port is pretty much Sony's baby.

Ah... Well hmm.. that might be a good thing? They obviously wanted it on there to promote their platform, and if the FGC rejects it, that effort is all for naught.

So this is what Ocean Eleven and Sany basically did to the fans.

ScanImage0302.jpg

GnawtyDog

Banned
Ah... Well hmm.. that might be a good thing? They obviously wanted it on there to promote their platform, and if the FGC rejects it, that effort is all for naught.

A lesson to be learned? Nope. Will happen again for sure. Hopefully less frequently, much less.
---------------

Given the amount of bugs (and the severity of some) - how long are we looking at here for proper patches and resolution - 1 month, 2 months?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Good thing I didn't get a PS4 yet. How is this fuckup even possible? It shouldn't have been that hard to make this the definitive version right out of the gate.

airjoca

I still can't find Europeans online.

I'm in Portugal, bought the game in the US store because I had credit there. Ever since buying it, no matter what search options I use, I only find people from the American and Asian continents online.

Gaffers from Europe who bought the game from the US and are able to find other europeans, what country are you from?

Hasney

I'm in Portugal, bought the game in the US store because I had credit there. Ever since buying it, no matter what search options I use, I only find people from the American and Asian continents online.

Gaffers from Europe who bought the game from the US and are able to find other europeans, what country are you from?

The UK version is still on 1.00 so I'm assuming it's the same for the rest of Europe. You won't be able to find them if you're on a different patch version, which the US version is.

It's likely if any Europeans are found, it's from people who bought the US version.

I had no problem getting into matches with other players from Germany and Spain yesterday. Bought the game on PAL psn though.

Edit: yeah I'm still on 1.0 and no update here so far.

BocoDragon

A lesson to be learned? Nope. Will happen again for sure. Hopefully less frequently, much less.
---------------

Given the amount of bugs (and the severity of some) - how long are we looking at here for proper patches and resolution - 1 month, 2 months?

Naw I just mean if the Sony machine wanted this port for strategic reasons, it wasn't just a little extra revenue for Capcom: it exists to prop up PS4. There's the reasonable expectation that they'll push the port until it satisfies that need by being a good port that the FGC wants to use.

I hope.

airjoca

The UK version is still on 1.00 so I'm assuming it's the same for the rest of Europe. You won't be able to find them if you're on a different patch version, which the US version is.

It's likely if any Europeans are found, it's from people who bought the US version.

That explains everything then. Thanks

thelastword

Banned
I haven't been a huge fan of their PC efforts. When they started using QLOC it really felt like a step down from back when Capcom did things in-house (Lost Planet: Colonies, DMC4, RE5, Lost Planet 2).

I mean, look at, RE4, Revelations 2, and the Steamworks conversion of RE5. Absolute messes.

Yeah, I agree with you guys, I'm no big fan of QLOC, in my impressions post I meant RAD and not QLOC. Not that they're terrible by any means, but I don't think they're quite in the category of RAD, Nixxes, Hexadrive and Bluepoint. If any of these guys had this port it would be a home run. Having said that, I do believe QLOC would do a much better port than Ocean, but that goes without saying

DryvBy

It's a truly bad port, got home and I've been testing this out.

Visuals

This is the blurriest 1080p game I've seen with no AA, I even increased brightness to max in-game and it's still blurry. The game does not look 1080p sharp at all. I'm thinking it's the inexistent texture filtering, and yes, it's awful.

NO AA and NO AF is a travesty in this 6+ year old game, every stage especially training stage looks like a soupy mess.

In training Stage doing trials, Dan's Avatar is borked, his pink costume seems smeared way beyond his shoulder/face in the top right, similar to guile's fireball glitch, where you see guile stretching past his grounded position and you see his reflection booming away in his own projectile.

Sound

They need to fix the high/lows in the game, playing a game online the game audio seems much lower than offline arcade mode audio. After you play a game online sound gets much louder going back to arcade mode, it's not balanced right.

They should allow me an option to hear the announcer declare the title screen on my tv speakers instead of my DS4.

Lag

The menu lag is awful, it loads and slides super slow both offline and online, it's especially distracting online, because you get the feeling that's how the match is going to run, and sadly most times this is how it runs online, as molasses as the menus. Nothing below a green bar is smooth so far.

I noticed there maybe some input lag when I tried Zangief's 17th trial, it requires perfect timing and there seems to be a slight delay from going from a crouching normal to chaining a few standing jabs, it seems off compared to all other versions I've tried. It's hard to time it here. I hope it's not me trying to adjust to the DS4 pad.

Doing other trials and playing arcade mode seems fine for the most part, I can pull of most combos just fine, but something feels amiss still.

Suggestions

Having said all that, I think the issues here can be fixed in short order. Just add 16xAF and some AA (8xAA at least) and that takes care of most of the visual issues. Fix the glitches with fireballs and avatars. Fix the sound level issues and you have a good start to correcting this mess as it is. I've not noticed the name duplicating issue or text issue that some have had however.

After they've done that they can move on to sorting out the issues with Evil Ryu missing an Fadc or the game glitching in trial mode etc. It's really a sad state of affairs but I'm thinking they should fix the most glaring issues over the next few days and sort out the rest in the next two to three weeks. Who knows what is causing some of these issues maybe it's the driver from Lab Zero which may have some incompatibility issues, but they better source it and kill it right away.

The biggest problem I see these guys having is sorting out the matchmaking and quality of online bars. I just searched for a ranked game online and it came up with one yellow connection and all the rest were greyed out, meaning not even a red beyond that, so it doesn't seem to be working quite well as of now.

It's really a shame that we keep getting products that have so many glaring and simple issues that could be avoided by a more competent dev, the decision to hire these guys was just a bad decision. I truly hope this is the last nail that drives publishers away from outsourcing their product for a cheap conversion, there's just too much headache in the aftermath. I'm also sure that the money they did not want to spend initially, will have to be used to fix this port. For Heavens's sake use QLOC, Nixxes, Hexadrive or Bluepoint. Nobody elese is worth your time.

I finally got to play last night. I'm not anywhere near competitive in a regard where I can say I understand the timing of SF games. I'm a beginner and have been since the SNES days.

I just wanted to touch on the fact that this game really is ugly. I'm optimistic about games most of the time. It takes a lot to make be really call something out if I can find beauty in other things. But what's said about the graphics is spot on. The lack of AA just makes this game look really bad. It doesn't even look 1080p. And the backgrounds look really ugly.

I didn't have a lot of problems with the controls, but I'm not linking combos. Plus, I've only played a total of 4 matches. But I doubt this post is incorrect giving what was said about the graphics, menu lag and sounds.

Imm0rt4l

How do I go about getting a refund? It's not a psn credit thing is it?

If I were Capcom I'd sue Sony over the damage to the brand. Bought it when it came online but played it yesterday for the first time. Game is sluggish and unresponsive. Can't consistently pull of special moves and forget about supers and ultras but that might be Ds4 as well. I feel robbed eventhough it was only 25 bucks:( Imagine someone gets this and does not know about Sony's involvment, gets soured and when SFV comes around thinks "Oh, THAT game!" And passes due to bad experience. What the hell was Sony thinking with this port?
Sue the guys that are bankrolling your latest title and pro tour and whose platform you make games for? Because a bad port of an 8 year old game?

K den

TacosNSalsa

my question is how does companies like other ocean and high voltage keeps getting work? Do they work for like minimum wage salary?
I would think so ..Or at least they are the lowest bidder
. Maybe also they were the only ones available to get it out in time for EVO . I guess I'm taking it better than most because I haven't played in months after my Xbox died so I had to re-acclimate myself to it anyway. I imagine those that never stoped playing the difference was jarring.

Tried to get at least a partial refund, but was meant with bad and idiotic consumer service. Disappointed in Sony's service and was a worse experience than with Nintendo, which was surprisingly good :(

I would think so ..Or at least they are the lowest bidder
. Maybe also they were the only ones available to get it out in time for EVO . I guess I'm taking it better than most because I haven't played in months after my Xbox died so I had to re-acclimate myself to it anyway. I imagine those that never stoped playing the difference was jarring.

Turns out getting it out in time for EVO doesnt matter as Capcom is supposedly pulling this version from its tours. They are also flat out blaming everything on Sony and their third party production group.

Maybe with the tarnished image there will be a huge push and patches will come quick and furious.

https://twitter.com/gilley3D/status/603799238523269120

I knew I wasn't just being a scrub. Apparently, Gilley determined his version to have similar input lag to the PS3 version.

I've played this for hours, and I just couldn't feel this "massive input lag" that others were talking about...this is why.

Apparently, the problems that this game has are not exactly consistent for all players.

(P.S. If you don't know Gilley, you should. In the vanilla days he gave us frame data and godlike Guile combo videos. An OG.)

mattp

forgive me if this has been discussed already:
is there added lag when using ps3 sticks on ps4 skullgirls(compared to ps4 pads)?

Top Bottom