• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 is much, much better now. Bless.

liquidtmd

Banned
They are going to be the ones to "patch" it? Asco, let me not continue to bother with this since Sony / Capcom don't care...

'Working in partnership' could be read as 'emergency Capcom and Sony Dev teams are giving us direct coding notes and what to do' as not to lose face. Plausible from my time in IT if not game development specifically

JP

It's good to see that all three relevant parties are on the case with this, although I don't have any issues with it I can understand why it's really pissed some people off. Hopefully fixing it will be a priority for everybody concerned and they'll get it working for everybody.

Don;t really follow Street Fighter stuff, when is the Evo competition happening?

How do I upload it? It's just so weird. I would think that having it at normal speed would be completely out of there, but yet there it is. It's normal speed for a good while and then after a little bit, it goes right back to the laggy select.

Press the share button. You can then select "upload", choose the video, and upload it to Facebook or to your YouTube account. You can edit/trim the video during that process too.

Danneee

'Working in partnership' could be read as 'emergency Capcom and Sony Dev teams are giving us direct coding notes and what to do' as not to lose face. Plausible from my time in IT if not game development specifically

Most likely. It would be weird if they're like "OK you really fucked this up and obviously have a hard time porting this but we trust you're competent enough to fix everything in a couple of weeks time".

Codiox

How do I upload it? It's just so weird. I would think that having it at normal speed would be completely out of there, but yet there it is. It's normal speed for a good while and then after a little bit, it goes right back to the laggy select.

Amigo you got a big fat button on your controller which says "share"...

thelastword

Banned
Normally my first reaction would be, "No, that can't be right. Are you sure you were at point blank range?" But given the Evil Ryu bug and everything else my first thought was, "I want to see that."
I was point blank, as soon as the ultra whiffed his fireball motion completed, didn't notice any back dash either as he was right in my face. It was a very laggy match though so perhaps that was part of it. It was during this period of play that where hitting dhalism sounded like a robot in arcade mode, so maybe the game was already losing it's bearings prior to that online match. I figured something must have been wrong with the game itself since it crashed as soon as the K.O splash hit the screen.

Since that post, I've been back online playing some ranked and haven't really run into any other issue besides some pretty laggy matches. I've not been getting too many greens in arcade request though, just yellows and below.

Kyoufu

screenshot_2015-05-285tqel.png

Godspeed everyone involved, lol at "some" though.

So... they're giving it back to Other Ocean? Doesn't look like Sony is serious about fixing this in time for EVO. What a disaster!

alstein

I'm thinking they're either fixing it or not getting paid. Either way I don't think a lot of work will be heading their way anytime soon.
The game's too high profile to not stick to the permanent record of everyone involved.
And while Capcom and Sony can shrug it off in time Other Ocean will be stuck with it.
Unless they actually come through with all the promises Capcom and Sony made on the game.

For our sake I hope they bring someone else in to fix it.

Even fixing a broken game doesn't restore your rep all that much if the initial brokenness passes a certain threshold.

gioGAF

This is truly a disaster. Why did they go through all the trouble of getting this on PS4 if they were just going to be lazy about it. I think NO SF4 on PS4 is better than this fiasco. Corsi and Third Party Productions really need to get their act together. This shit is unacceptable. To think, I almost bought this, smh.

Tik-Tok

I strongly suspect that these issues are actually related to some of the weird PS4 power options (suspend / resume) and weird database stuff.

So... they're giving it back to Other Ocean? Doesn't look like Sony is serious about fixing this in time for EVO. What a disaster!

After yesterday it was pretty clear they are giving up on it being played at the big fighting game tournaments this summer.

Now the question is will they bother getting it up to snuff (unlikely if Other Ocean is still working on it) or will they do some half baked patches that fix some issues but not all and abandon it once the fever dies down and the SFV machine starts rolling at e3.

Eehhhhh, maybe I'll just buy the PC version so I can get all those cool "extra costumes" and such. Bummer it didn't work out, was really looking forward to playing this on my Vita. :p

Maybe I'll just wait a few weeks to see if things get hammered out...

Neff

Really don't see how they would even want to hire this company in the first place and not a reputable one to do this port if it was suppose to be used at EVO.

They probably either didn't do their research regarding Other Ocean or underestimated the standards that a game like SFIV should meet, or both. I'm assuming that nobody from Capcom or the FGC was ever involved to ensure that the port was of a sufficiently high quality.

It really boggles the mind how this could have happened.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if anyone hires OO again.

Eh, of course they will. They've got years of experience, get the job done at a face value, and they're presumably cheap.

They just weren't up to porting a polished, precision fighting game, that's all.

Even fixing a broken game doesn't restore your rep all that much if the initial brokenness passes a certain threshold.

This is truly a disaster. Why did they go through all the trouble of getting this on PS4 if they were just going to be lazy about it. I think NO SF4 on PS4 is better than this fiasco. Corsi and Third Party Productions really need to get their act together. This shit is unacceptable. To think, I almost bought this, smh.

They really did just create a bad conversation for themselves going into E3 with SFV. Now the newest SF-related thing going into SFV's E3 showing is SFIV being broken. Not only that, but this probably is going to cause a sentiment of "is this one going to work?" when SFV gets close to release.

SFV is of course being handled by entirely different people than this port, so it wont be a particularly logical connection, but that's what happens to a brand name after something like this happens.

Danneee

They really did just create a bad conversation for themselves going into E3 with SFV. Now the newest SF-related thing going into SFV's E3 showing is SFIV being broken. Not only that, but this probably is going to cause a sentiment of "is this one going to work?" when SFV gets close to release.

SFV is of course being handled by entirely different people than this port, so it wont be a particularly logical connection, but that's what happens to a brand name after something like this happens.

Thing is, the brand name isn't hurt. Street Fighter 4 and the Super and Ultra iterations are still great games. This is just one shitty port. And anyone who would care most likely know by now that the reason behind said shittt port is a shitty studio.

Games are seldom judged by the worst available version.

Thing is, the brand name isn't hurt. Street Fighter 4 and the Super and Ultra iterations are still great games. This is just one shitty port. And anyone who would care most likely know by now that the reason behind said shittt port is a shitty studio.

Sure. I guess I more mean that when they get interviewed and otherwise talked to about SFV, it's going to be through a lens of SFIV being busted. It's going to come up in interview questions. Eg. "So, SFIV had a lot of difficulties at launch, what are you doing to ensure the same doesn't happen to SFV?" Questions/assumptions that they otherwise would not have had to deal with.

Thanks, so now we have proof that it is a shitty porting problem and not the ps4 performance, right?

That's what I'm guessing. I mean how the hell do the menus work for ten seconds no lag, then just lag out of nowhere? Makes no damn sense. But at least it shows that it can at least work for moments on end. It makes me wonder if you wake the game up from rest itself, does it fix the input delay too?

SgtCobra

Easy, money was probably a big part of why Other Ocean was picked.

Maybe they should have used this "expertise and technical know how" on the game before putting it up for sale.

I mean, did no one at Capcom or Sony looked at the game at all ? In less than a few hours, there were multiple bugs and glitches found, not to mention the input lag, and menu slowdown.
Better late than never right? Even though this could've been prevented.
I've expressed already that the port should've been handled by a competent dev, the fact that they stated that they're going to fix every problem is at least "something"
I'm neutral at the moment.

Codiox

That's what I'm guessing. I mean how the hell do the menus work for ten seconds no lag, then just lag out of nowhere? Makes no damn sense. But at least it shows that it can at least work for moments on end. It makes me wonder if you wake the game up from rest itself, does it fix the input delay too?

Now it gets interesting. But I don't think you can get into the game in this short time, do you?

No. It fixes itself immediately from going from rest into the game. So if I go to rest right before the menu shows up, and then play from there, it can probably record at least one or two screens of menus before it lags again.

Or perhaps someone can do the test who has lag measuring equipment and go from there? From a restart from rest mode?

So I went into training mode, picked my characters and waited for it to load up.
Once in game, I went into rest mode and started it back up.
I'm using my ps3 stick and while I don't think the input lag has changed, the game seems faster.
I'm not sure if its just me but it doesn't feel as sluggish as before. Also, the training mode menu has no lag and it isn't going away.

vg260

Better late than never right? Even though this could've been prevented.
I've expressed already that the port should've been handled by a competent dev, the fact that they stated that they're going to fix every problem is at least "something"
I'm neutral at the moment.

I dunno. I feel like the window for adoption of the port was already small and the damage is done. I'm bummed because I was hoping a lot of the current user base would move to PS4, and help consolidate it. I think it will have a significant impact on how it is perceived even if patched, and will hasten people dropping it for other fighters or passing until SFV. I hope it's fixed fast and I'm wrong.

liquidtmd

Banned
How can you mess up a port? Serious question.

This isn't a defence at all but pretty damn easily as evidenced.

Its not just a case of pressing a 'convert' button but if you're not up to converting a hardcore centric precision based fighting game, this should as been assessed and identified by Sony before they got the job. I don't blame Other Ocean for screwing up, they ultimately wanted 'worked with Sony on Street Fighter' for their portfolio to court further business so they aren't going to turn it down...I blame Sony for not saying 'wait, the Mortal Kombat screw ups - lol no'

Top Bottom