• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 is much, much better now. Bless.

I just found out. Sadly it does not come with the Vacation DLC. You only get whatever DLC that was available for purchase, before Ultra SF4 came out. (Vanilla and Super DLC) I'd probably just get the game for now though. The vacation DLC goes on sale on Steam quite alot. I paid $7.89 last year for the vacation DLC. I'm sure that the price will be even cheaper by the time Steam sales start up in a few weeks. Also which Madcatz PS3 Stick do you have. SF4 Round 1 and 2 sticks have issues on PCs. Every other stick after those two should be ok.

I have this one, I don't remember which version it is:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JsuuQYTTL.jpg

The ps3 version of course

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ooh, that might be perfect then.

I can plug and play a Madcatz PS3 stick no problem right? And its just the Animal pack thats missing and not the Vacation pack or anything? If so then I don't feel I'm missing anything at all, especially for 12 bucks on PC...

I am under the assumption that Ultra SF4 is missing all the DLC constumes on PC. The Steam page is offering three DLC packages(Vacation, Wild, and SS4AE 'all-in') totaling almost $60 beyond the cost of USF4. ($~80 total)

Seems you would need to buy all three to equal the DLC content of the all-inclusive $25 PS4 port.

AmyS

Finished playing through arcade mode first on PS4 then on PS3. Using standard DS4 and DS3 pads here.

For me, there is a very noticeable input lag on PS4 compared to PS3. Not that there isn't any on PS3, as everyone knows there is, but it's worse on PS4. I'm not a pro or competitive player by any means, but I immediately noticed the difference right away, in arcade mode. Something really does feel pretty off. The time it takes for action to happen on screen with relation to when I'm pressing buttons just seems delayed, with my perception of it anyway. I can't even fathom how frustrated people are who know the SFIV games inside and out.

Imm0rt4l

Ps3 has the same input lag as arcade cabs. Because of hardware issues, the ps3 version can't have this improved upon. With that said, if arcade cabs are the original target platform then the inconsistency from the 360 is really the outlier here.
Ironically the 360 is seen as the definitive version. No big deal since as lupinko has been saying, SF is a console game now.

One thing I don't get, DisplayLag said 8 frames of lag, Gilley says 5 frames similar to PS3 version. Which is right? Because for me it certainly feels minimal.
Always go with Gilley's assessment. The DisplayLags numbers, while consistent is off across the board for all platforms by at least 2 frames. It's only a good indicator that it didn't match the 360.

KAL2006

Banned
I am disappointed in this port I bought it before I knew about the issues. However I am having fun playing the game as a scrub via remote play on Vita. At least it's worth that.

Finished playing through arcade mode first on PS4 then on PS3. Using standard DS4 and DS3 pads here.

For me, there is a very noticeable input lag on PS4 compared to PS3. Not that there isn't any on PS3, as everyone knows there is, but it's worse on PS4. I'm not a pro or competitive player by any means, but I immediately noticed the difference right away, in arcade mode. Something really does feel pretty off. The time it takes for action to happen on screen with relation to when I'm pressing buttons just seems delayed, with my perception of it anyway. I can't even fathom how frustrated people are who know the SFIV games inside and out.

I've been playing the SF4 since launch and have poured thousands of hours into the game since then. I'm still a pretty active player and all I can say is that it feels OK to me. Others feel the same way, but I see others claiming what you claimed. So I'm not sure what to say.

I'm no expert, but I play the game a lot and I think as far as input lag goes, it's the same or not noticeably different.

Gbraga

I've been playing the SF4 since launch and have poured thousands of hours into the game since then. I'm still a pretty active player and all I can say is that it feels OK to me. Others feel the same way, but I see others claiming what you claimed. So I'm not sure what to say.

I'm no expert, but I play the game a lot and I think as far as input lag goes, it's the same or not noticeably different.

Didn't they say the PS3 lag was gone, though? IIRC they said whatever made the PS3 input lag higher than the 360 was fixed, so, even if it's the same, it's still worse than it should be.

Unless they didn't say that, if that's the case, ignore me.

supahkiwi

Banned
Had my PS4 controller die in the middle of me during 2 online matches from the past couple of days..

Sucks to have my PS3 stick cease functioning during an online match. haha

Edzi

Didn't they say the PS3 lag was gone, though? IIRC they said whatever made the PS3 input lag higher than the 360 was fixed, so, even if it's the same, it's still worse than it should be.

Unless they didn't say that, if that's the case, ignore me.

I'm fairly certain that people in this thread have been quoting someone from Sony who said that they "fixed" the PS3 lag. So yeah, even if it's not as bad as some people think, it would still be worse than they promised.

Duxxy3

Ironically the 360 is seen as the definitive version. No big deal since as lupinko has been saying, SF is a console game now.

Always go with Gilley's assessment. The DisplayLags numbers, while consistent is off across the board for all platforms by at least 2 frames. It's only a good indicator that it didn't match the 360.

We don't have all the numbers from Gilley. Just the PS4/TE2 number. We don't have PS3, 360 or PS/Legacy numbers. His numbers can't be directly compared to displaylags.

I'm fairly certain that people in this thread have been quoting someone from Sony who said that they "fixed" the PS3 lag. So yeah, even if it's not as bad as some people think, it would still be worse than they promised.

Gio Corsi mentioned it on the ps blog. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/04/17/ultra-street-fighter-iv-hits-ps4-on-may-26th/

Yeah the uproar would probably be a lot less if they didn't promise this would be the ultimate version of the game and be used for the Capcom Pro Tour.

roknin

To be fair QA has nothing to do with this botched port.
They can report 1000 bugs but if there's no dev time (budget) to do so then nothing will be fixed.

Pretty much.

QA has a lot less power than people tend to think. Granted, that's also on an employer-by-employer basi (my current job is really good about listening to QA concerns).

They can find all they want but if the dev or pub come back and say "no time to fix it"...

...well, here we are

Dr. Kaos

Banned
The game is absolutely broken. Online is very noticeably laggier than the PS3 version. The slow menus and lack of AA/AF is shameful.

I'm not going to lay blame on anybody. The guilty know themselves and don't care.

The game is absolutely broken. Online is very noticeably laggier than the PS3 version. The slow menus and lack of AA/AF is shameful.

I'm not going to lay blame on anybody. The guilty know themselves and don't care.

I played about 70 online matches in 2 days and I don't see any difference in how the online performs on this and x360 or ps3. :\ before someone asks I'm not going to evo.

edit: I'm saying I guess it depends on your connection perhaps? then again when this is brought up all the sudden everyone is on Google fiber lol.

Tripon

Display lag PS4 numbers are also higher than their PS3 numbers. I just want to see more independent testing at this point.

Swarna

I don't remember any claims that arcade's input lag = PS3's outside of some guy making a thread on SRK basing his rough tests on an arcade emulator. The emulator runs with your graphics driver settings like any other regular PC game so the input delay varies with your unique configurations (can be faster than the 360 version or slower than PS3). Therefore it's an unreliable indicator of input lag on actual machines.

DisplayLag's numbers are more useful for comparing versions to each other, not necessarily comparing in a vacuum. They might want to check out the PS4 version with more controllers if the legacy stick delay in MKX is anything to go by.

I'm not expecting a quick fix. But please at least take care of the slow menus and username placement during online play for this first patch.

levelplane

Neo Member
Ports a damn shame. Seems like a wasted opportunity. Imagine being in the dev studio that spent sweat on a port just to have it thrown to the side by fans.

Seen a few assumptions on here that an 7 yo fighting game with quite a bit of dlc is an easy port. Is that really the case though? It has to be spot on for the tournament players. The developers were also foreign to the code.

As far as qa goes. They probably didnt have any testers with a tournement level fighting experience. Not surprised they didnt see anything wrong with some of the character specific problems.

Also, I'm wondering how much the ps4s video record feature plays into showing bugs around the internet. Im sure some of the odd ones are super rare. Only one person has to get it to happen once, then it gets posted everywhere.

Anyways, holding off to see what future patches bring. Was pumped to play. Not so much now. Back to 3s oe.

RE_Player

All they had to do was delay it a week or two and fix some of the major problems even casuals can see and this wouldn't have been as huge of a problem. Whoever was in charge of QA and managed this release for Sony has to seriosuly revaluate their processes.

vg260

I'm not expecting a quick fix. But please at least take care of the slow menus and username placement during online play for this first patch.

That and enabling AF. It shouldn't have been off in the release since Sony supposedly addressed the issue with devs recently.

Keeping my fingers crossed any extra latenecy was related to the menu issue and was some sort of overlooked firmware/suspend conflict issue in hardware.

Auctopus

All they had to do was delay it a week or two and fix some of the major problems even casuals can see and this wouldn't have been as huge of a problem. Whoever was in charge of QA and managed this release for Sony has to seriosuly revaluate their processes.

Are you suggesting that this will be fixed within a fortnight? Seems like a bigger issue than that.

GorillaJu

I can't believe they'd actually use the PS3 version as a starting point instead of the PC version. If nothing else, wouldn't the PS4 architecture lend itself to being easier to port from that direction?

That and enabling AF. It shouldn't have been off in the release since Sony supposedly addressed the issue with devs recently.

Is it as simple as a flick of a switch? The lack of AF is very annoying as well. I hope that's in the first update as well. I just thought that would take more time.

vg260

Is it as simple as a flick of a switch? The lack of AF is very annoying as well. I hope that's in the first update as well. I just thought that would take more time.

From my understanding it's a very basic GPU feature with negligible performance hit which was oddly missing in a number of games. It was an issue in the DmC release, but they patched it about a month ago. There was a whole thread about it, but I can't find it atm.

SnakeEyez

Because of the state this launched in and the developers (probably) making the patch, I say we should keep our expectations in check. There's a slim to no chance that this one patch is going to fix everything. Let's hope for something smaller like menu fix, psn id placement and hopefully a fix to decapre teleport and gen/Honda combos...

lupinko

It's still really asinine that they ported the PS3 version over instead of you know the PC version.

If Sony wasn't lazy and cheap, the PS4 game could have been based off the PC version or better yet you know the Arcade version, which itself is a Windows PC.

RE_Player

Are you suggesting that this will be fixed within a fortnight? Seems like a bigger issue than that.
I never said it would be completely fixed or a perfect product but some of the obvious bugs like invisible projectiles or other weird character bugs could have been resolved lessening the negative reaction.

Boke1879

It's still really asinine that they ported the PS3 version over instead of you know the PC version.

If Sony wasn't lazy and cheap, the PS4 game could have been based off the PC version or better yet you know the Arcade version, which itself is a Windows PC.

Shouldn't Capcom have given them PC version to port over though?

Considering the architecture of the PS4 versus of the PS3, you would have figured it would have been easier to port from the PC too.

Coda

I have faith that these issues will be fixed but you always run into new problems with these patches many times. Let's hope we don't have a SFxT situation on our hands.

Wouldn't it be up to Capcom to decide which version to port over?

Top Bottom