• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 multiplayer trailer [Arne Says 30 FPS, Also Answers Lots Of Questions]

To be perfectly honest I'm an Uncharted obsessive. I put countless hours into both the Uncharted 2 single player and multiplayer, and then some more hours perusing and providing feedback on the Naughty Dog forums.

Uncharted 2's multiplayer is my multiplayer of choice. Even with all the undeniable, infuriating bullshit of terrible spawns, piss poor matchmaking, unnecessary, unwanted updates that broke certain elements, and Situational Awareness, I still managed to play (and more or less enjoy) the game everyday.

Prior to the Uncharted 3 multiplayer reveal I was really optimistic about the changes ND would be making. But now? I'm somewhat doubtful.
Even though we've still only seen a tiny amount of gameplay, I've already seen a few issues that I'm sure will sour my enjoyment of Uncharted 3's multiplayer.

My big gripe is Situational Awareness.
Easily the most hated, most requested booster for removal, a booster that should never have been included in Uncharted 2, is gonna be in Uncharted 3.
OK. It's been rebranded. But IMO, we didn't need that shit included in any way, shape, or form. Naughty Dog were supposed to learn from their mistakes, not repeat them.

If the multiplayer is bad, or even just not as fun as Uncharted 2 (in it's glory days), at least I know I'll have an amazingly well crafted single player to enjoy

Ah well. See you in the beta. Oh yeah, the ziplines look really cool.

NearRivers said:
If the multiplayer is bad, or even just not as fun as Uncharted 2 (in it's glory days), at least I know I'll have an amazingly well crafted single player to enjoy

Ah well. See you in the beta. Oh yeah, the ziplines look really cool.
co-op was great too. Multiplayer will probably b very good, but maybe not how everybody wants it.

Anyway, we're all gonna buy it cause these guys are fcuking awesome.

Lince

Banned
MuseManMike said:
Seems like a roundabout method of saying they're implementing skill equalization techniques.

DO NOT WANT.

don't worry, the better players/teams will always come up on top, I don't mind devs these days trying to welcome the less skilled (casual) players into their games as long as they don't end up breaking the game in the process (Killzone 3 and the Marksman class).

Victarion

Didn't see this posted

Uncharted: Naughty Dog Considered Campaign Co-Op
Naughty Dog has had "a lot of internal discussion" on whether it could support a cooperative mode within an Uncharted single-player campaign

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception recently had its competitive multiplayer modes revealed, but Naughty Dog has yet to divulge what it has in store for co-op.

"Naturally, we’ve had a lot of internal discussions on how we could support cooperative play within the structure of our single-player campaign and if that was the right choice to make," Uncharted 3 game director Justin Richmond said in an exclusive interview with NowGamer.

"With Uncharted 2, we chose not to support cooperative play because maintaining the integrity of the narrative, and keeping the player focused solely on the story of Nathan Drake as they played him, was of utmost importance."

Richmond added that there was more to come regarding co-op in Uncharted 3. "When we announced our next game in the series, we made a mention that we’ll be supporting cooperative along with competitive multiplayer modes. We’ve recently revealed our plans for the competitive multiplayer aspect of Uncharted 3, we’ll be discussing more what our plans for co-op are in the future."

Please don't do this ND.

"With Uncharted 2, we chose not to support cooperative play because maintaining the integrity of the narrative, and keeping the player focused solely on the story of Nathan Drake as they played him, was of utmost importance."
That's just as important now.

Samara

Im sorry but, doesn't Uncharted 2 have coop already? I've never played the multiplayer part (verry long loading time) but I think it mentions co op. Would be fun, since Chloe never actually kills anyone

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Samara said:
Im sorry but, doesn't Uncharted 2 have coop already? I've never played the multiplayer part (verry long loading time) but I think it mentions co op. Would be fun, since Chloe never actually kills anyone
It does have co-op but not in the story mode. They're their own missions.

Also Chloe kills the big guy on the train before it crashes.

If they're unsatisfied with how UC2's co-op worked out, they should go the Portal 2 route and have a completely separate co-op campaign with its own story. Yes, that'd be expensive. Yes, it'd be worth it to preserve the single-player experience as it should be.

lol, people doubting Naughty Dog.

Oh how it brings back those wonderfull pre-Uncharted 2 release memories.

As it was back than, it will be the same once Uncharted 3 is released. Plenty of crow eating will be had by all.

Darkatomz

One thing that I found curious was how the game helps the folks who are behind or who are not doing as well. It clearly takes a lot of tweaking and balancing to get things to where people don't feel like they're getting cheated out of their experience if they're very hardcore, for example. So how do you all approach that?

Well, the way we look at it is it's as much an opportunity for the winning team to advance further by earning more cash or more XP as it is for the trailing team to catch up a little bit. We've been tweaking the experience so that if you've got the stronger team, they're going to win more often than not. We don't want to flip the switch so far that it becomes like a rubber band where you can kind of slingshot past, but the team that's ahead is going to earn more points during what we call a "power play" and it's a short burst - it's an event that lasts about one minute and it changes up the play styles of a given match.

So even outside of the effect of having the trailing team catch up, it makes the experience more interesting. One of those power plays is called "marked man," during which one or two members on the leading team get marked, and if the trailing team can kill them, they'll get three points for that kill so it can help them catch up. It's a very interesting dynamic because as soon as someone gets marked, the opposing team can all see exactly where he is and the leading team gets to defend him, so it changes the experience for this short little burst.

It becomes kind of like the Killzone game mode [my edit: ape the whole warzone mode, plz] where you go from death match to capture the flag to territories and the like. Over the course of a 10-minute death match you'll probably only experience maybe one or two of these power plays but for those short bursts you get a different flavor.

I'm sorry, how is this a good idea?

1min is a LONG time in TDM. Games end in 6-7min most of the time in my experience. This aside, you're giving the other team 3 points for killing the best/luckiest player that you can see through walls?

If the defending team actually plays it smart and protects the marked target, the defenders will probably have a good chance of getting killed just by protecting the marked man (whether or not the losing team is coordinated), assuming they don't even get to pick him off. Points. If the defending team is completely disconnected from one another, then the target is going to wander on his own, making him an easy kill. Points.

Yeah, how skillful the individual players and the teams are matters, but I just see this as a really easy way to make a huge comeback. It should only occur when the score is like 10 points apart, and only for 30-45sec.

Darkatomz said:
I'm sorry, how is this a good idea?

1min is a LONG time in TDM. Games end in 6-7min most of the time in my experience. This aside, you're giving the other team 3 points for killing the best/luckiest player that you can see through walls?

If the defending team actually plays it smart and protects the marked target, the defenders will probably have a good chance of getting killed just by protecting the marked man (whether or not the losing team is coordinated), assuming they don't even get to pick him off. Points. If the defending team is completely disconnected from one another, then the target is going to wander on his own, making him an easy kill. Points.

Yeah, how skillful the individual players and the teams are matters, but I just see this as a really easy way to make a huge comeback. It should only occur when the score is like 10 points apart, and only for 30-45sec.
Stuff like this is what the beta is for.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
French said:
People didn't want MP and look how it turned out.

ND is one of te best team in the world, I trust them.
The problem is that most gamers think they know better than developers, which is an inane concept in itself. Not to mention that plenty of people are totally unimaginative, and just assume words like "co-op" and "competitive multiplayer" can only mean one thing.

"It's obviously going to be like RE5, even though games like Gears of War have already proven co-op can be done properly through campaign!"

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
On one hand I think this games needs moments of solitude to really hit some right notes. On the other hand, having co-op would be great. Would it be acceptable to have times in the game where the 1st player is left to play alone and 2nd player has to wait it out and just watch what 1st player does? Or even better, 2nd player ends up in some completely different place and they eventually meet up? This would of course only work with online co-op and would require making special 2nd player specific levels that most people would never even see.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lord Error said:
On one hand I think this games needs moments of solitude to really hit some right notes.

Considering you spend literally every scenario in U2 with an AI partner, I don't see how replacing that AI with my competent friend would be a detriment to the game's impact.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
thetrin said:
Considering you spend literally every scenario in U2 with an AI partner, I don't see how replacing that AI with my competent friend would be a detriment to the game's impact.
No, there were times when you were alone, and they felt that much better because of that, I think. Even some places that had an NPC partner wouldn't work with a real player controlling them (Tenzin or Flynn)

This also poses another question - will it be ok for a second player to play as multitude of characters though the course of the game?

thetrin

Lord Error said:
No, there were times when you were alone, and they felt that much better because of that, I think. Even some places that had an NPC partner wouldn't work with a real player controlling them (Tenzin for example)

This also poses another question - will it be ok for a second player to play as multitude of characters though the course of the game?

Why not? It's not like anyone actually cares who they're playing as, as long as they're enjoying the story, and shooting fools in the head.

To be honest, my biggest problem with the co-op in U2 was that it was painfully short, and never got an expansion. I'm happy with a separate co-op campaign if they actually have more than 3 levels. The total lack of a strong co-op component in U2 was a major problem for me, since I play with my friends a LOT.

Metalmurphy said:
MP doesn't directly mess with the SP campaign.

Putting co-op in it automatically does.
Again, this is totally unimaginative. You just assume they'll screw it up like RE5, when other great games have already proven that co-op through the campaign can actually be awesome.

It's amazing how little faith you guys have in ND, even after two amazing installments in the series.

Yeef

thetrin said:
Again, this is totally unimaginative. You just assume they'll screw it up like RE5, when other great games have already proven that co-op through the campaign can actually be awesome.

It's amazing how little faith you guys have in ND, even after two amazing installments in the series.
Apparently they have little faith in themselves as well, since they've said many times that they won't make the main campaign cooperative, because it doesn't fit in with what they're trying to do.

And just out of curiosity: I'd like you to name some story-driven games where co-op and single player shared the same campaign and both modes worked well.

thetrin said:
Apparently Naughty Dog thought it would be detrimental, since they considered that idea and decided against it.

Irish

I don't understand one fucking bit why people are so against co-op. Not one fucking bit.

Have you guys forgotten everything you played before Resident Evil 5? Does anybody here remember how co-op used to be done? Anyone?

Here's what you do:

You drop some random fucking nobody right alongside Drake and then you never acknowledge him once. Not once. This person doesn't even get a name. That person will never appear in the cutscenes either. All that person does is shoot shit up and platform along with ND. You also double the enemy count.

It was the go-to method for years, why are we all against it now?

Hell, it's one of the big reasons I've played R:FoM more than Resistance 2.

Now, I know Uncharted has some of those set-piece moments that seem like they could only work with a single person, but those can easily be shown using a very simple method. First person there activates the section and, if necessary, the other player warps in right alongside him. If it is a cutscene, the random automatically disappears and the two people get to enjoy the cutscene together as it was in SP.

Besides, people will play the SP first anyway, so a little bit of jankiness in co-op means little.

In addition to that, you can also bring back the small U2-style Co-Op sections.

I can think of several epic scenes from Uncharted 2 SP that would simply not work in co-op. Compromises are always made when doing stuff in co-op.

Lince

Banned
RyanardoDaVinci said:
With what they did to U2's multiplayer?

Absolutely.

no need to say more, ND earned a lot of praise for Uncharted / Uncharted 2, but what they did to U2' mp was totally uncalled for and stripped all the fun from the game, heck the mp maps are not designed around the new health/damage and spawn system, I'm still wondering who (and why) took that sad decision, I stopped playing shortly after that patch.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Irish said:
I don't understand one fucking bit why people are so against co-op. Not one fucking bit.

Have you guys forgotten everything you played before Resident Evil 5? Does anybody here remember how co-op used to be done? Anyone?

Here's what you do:

You drop some random fucking nobody right alongside Drake and then you never acknowledge him once. Not once. This person doesn't even get a name. That person will never appear in the cutscenes either. All that person does is shoot shit up and platform along with ND. You also double the enemy count.

Now, I know Uncharted has some of those set-piece moments that seem like they could only work with a single person, but those can easily be shown using a very simple method. First person there activates the section and, if necessary, the other player warps in right alongside him. If it is a cutscene, the random automatically disappears and the two people get to enjoy the cutscene together as it was in SP.

Besides, people will play the SP first anyway, so a little bit of jankiness in co-op means little.

I agree with you, but the issue here is that a lot of the setpieces that make Uncharted great wouldn't really work with a second person.

KAL2006

Banned
Irish said:

Here's what you do:

The problem with co-op in story mode is all those things you said, for example triggering a cutscene, having a crazy set piece moment happen to one person while ht e other misses out on, say for example you have a torchligh and you have to investigate in a cave, while person A actually does investigate with his torchlight and triggers a cut-scene, while person B gets left behind and warps right into the triggered cutscene because of person A. Basically person B misses out on the immersion due to person A already doing everthing, warping next to your partner, missing out on cinematic events, and triggering cutscenes you are not aware of is rather gamey, Uncharted is more of a cinematic and immersive game, co-op takes away this.

However I do agree co-op still should be included as a extra bonus even if it does feel awkward and tacked on to have it in the main campaign, maybe have players needing to unlock co-op as playing the story mode on your own first go is vital, playing story mode in co-op in replays should then let you have a blast and just go through the campaign for jokes.

Mikey Jr.

The train opening wouldn't work for instance. How the hell would you make that co-op without ruining the feel?

Like when Drake has to run out of the train because it was falling off a cliff. What do you do for co-op? Let Drake run out, and wait for the co-op player to run out? Yeah, that won't ruin any sense of suspense. Or have the second player constantly dieing?

Uncharted is built around things happening around Drake, the player.

Irish

Like I said though, who is really going to play through this the first time in Co-Op? It's an added thing not meant to replace the SP entirely, but to enhance it on a second playthrough.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Keep that shit separate. I can think of many setpieces in UC2 that would be very compromised if they were set up for co-op. UC2 did it best. Modify certain sections of SP for co-op.

Also with the rumoured mirages, that wouldn't work in Coop either. Drake is suppose to be alone in that desert, barely surviving (I think) and starts to see mirages, is the coop player seeing the same shit? How do they respond to drake if not, it would be weird. Pretty much any moment Drake is alone, its to create a feeling of isolation and danger and contribute to the story.

Falling from that train, "Where am I", etc.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It would be cool if they just create a separate co-op adventure to please people (like me) who want to a mini adventure co-op type game for Uncharted OR simply make the co-op missions in UC2 bigger/longer. Co-op is always great and I for one would love to see more of it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Quick question that may have been already answered. Do we know if the weapon customization is purely cosmetic or will they have an effect on the performance of the guns?

Irish

Lion Heart said:
Also with the rumoured mirages, that wouldn't work in Coop either. Drake is suppose to be alone in that desert, barely surviving (I think) and starts to see mirages, is the coop player seeing the same shit? How do they respond to drake if not, it would be weird. Pretty much any moment Drake is alone, its to create a feeling of isolation and danger and contribute to the story.

Falling from that train, "Where am I", etc.

That's the thing though. You don't have to explain anything about this secondary character. You guys are putting too much thought into the RE5 style of coop and not just seeing the simplicity of it all.

Look, I'm not saying they should or shouldn't add in campaign co-op, I'm just pointing out a way to do it without compromising anything really. Is it slightly janky? You bet. Does it effect SP at all? Not really.

Zoibie

Mikey Jr. said:
The train opening wouldn't work for instance. How the hell would you make that co-op without ruining the feel?

Like when Drake has to run out of the train because it was falling off a cliff. What do you do for co-op? Let Drake run out, and wait for the co-op player to run out? Yeah, that won't ruin any sense of suspense. Or have the second player constantly dieing?

Uncharted is built around things happening around Drake, the player.

There are ways of putting him in these setpieces without breaking the feel. In the train setpiece Sully could have jumped out at the last second and he has to help Drake climb back up by throwing down ropes or something. Co-op doesn't mean both players have to be doing the exact same thing.

Top Bottom