• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 multiplayer trailer [Arne Says 30 FPS, Also Answers Lots Of Questions]

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how I feel about the introduction of Killstre-- Kick-back medals. I'd like more detailed info how they work... beta can't come soon enough.

Yoboman said:
Naughty Dog, please fix up the pissy looking bullet trails. It's not a big thing but these long white trails that hang in the air for far too long look weird. Especially when it looks the same from every gun. The gun fire should add to the look of the game not detract from it

wouldn't those bullet trails be helpful to let you know where the enemy come from?

mr_nothin

Banned
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how I feel about the introduction of Killstre-- Kick-back medals. I'd like more detailed info how they work... beta can't come soon enough.
I'm playing your avatar =]

Yoboman

Callibretto said:
wouldn't those bullet trails be helpful to let you know where the enemy come from?
They can do a better job, most games have bullet trails but they move quick, the trails are short so it looks like actual bullets moving through the air. Not some weird long spear object that you could dodge if you tried

For example:

image_uncharted_3_drake_s_deception-15402-2182_0002.jpg

It looks like he is shooting a damn spear!

BrLvgThrChmstry said:

if I understand it right. at the start of the match (or maybe in player customization screen) you choose which kickback you want to equip. just 1 kickback per character, each kickback have their own medal requirement to use. and the medal depends on how well you play during the match.

you can equip a powerful kickback, but during the match, you have to play really well to activate the kickback. if you're not confident about your skill. equip the less powerful kickback hoping that you get the chance to use it during the match.

for example,let's say there's a kickback that require you to get 10 headshot in a match to activate, and then another kickback that's less powerful, but only require 5 headshot to activate. it's up to you which kickback you want to pick. if you pick the stronger kickback, and you only got 7 headshot in a match, you don't get even the weaker kickback.

maybe I'm wrong though

Thanks for the info. That sounds good to me if true, a lot better than "Get 'X' amount of kills to activate Kick-back" like in CoD (Not comparing it to CoD, just using it as an example). Having to complete a particular requirement in order to use it... yeah, that will definitely work.

Callibretto said:
for example,let's say there's a kickback that require you to get 10 headshot in a match to activate, and then another kickback that's less powerful, but only require 5 headshot to activate. it's up to you which kickback you want to pick. if you pick the stronger kickback, and you only got 7 headshot in a match, you don't get even the weaker kickback.

maybe I'm wrong though

Kickbacks are tied to the amount of medals you earn during a match. During an IGN interview one of the ND employees gave an example of earning 14 medals during one match in order to activate the RPG.

SolidSnakex said:
Kickbacks are tied to the amount of medals you earn during a match. During an IGN interview one of the ND employees gave an example of earning 14 medals during one match in order to activate the RPG.

but didn't you get medal by doing thing like headshot or objectives. I didn't play much of Uncharted 2 multi so I don't know.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
SolidSnakex said:

It really depends on if you have to earn X amount of medals or X amount of specific medals. Racking up 10 medals is pretty easy in UC2.

Callibretto said:
but didn't you get medal by doing thing like headshot or objectives. I didn't play much of Uncharted 2 multi so I don't know.

Yes, but those kickbacks are tied to the amount of medals you earn. So unless they have a kickback for earning one medal then you're going to have to do that. The two examples in the IGN video were 14 (RPG) and 10 (smoke bomb).

Garjon

Callibretto said:
This is what I don't like, In UC2 it was far easier to get a medal just by going for kills rather than objectives.

Garjon said:
This is what I don't like, In UC2 it was far easier to get a medal just by going for kills rather than objectives.

well, I think nothing's wrong with the idea. now it's all about balancing the medal requirement etc so it didn't get abused enough to make a bad player's experience like me hell.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I just hope those medals are creative in the sense that it won't interfere with the overall flow of the match. What I mean by that is that I hope we won't get matches of people trying to get a specific amount of medals throughout the match or try to boost it. I noticed when they added more of the multiplayer trophies on UC2, it changed the way people played the game because they were focused on trying to get the trophies by boosting for them instead of trying to get them naturally.

rdrr gnr

Callibretto said:
well, I think nothing's wrong with the idea. now it's all about balancing the medal requirement etc so it didn't get abused enough to make a bad player's experience like me hell.

No amount of balancing is going to help make the experience more enjoyable. Take for example the idea of the next CoD game going back to 3-5-7 kill-streaks. People will still play like assholes for that 3-5-7 instead of the 5-7-11 or whatever else it goes to now.

I can already see it. Someone sits behind cover because they need to grenade one more treasure carrier for a medal or some crap. The only way it'll work is if kickbacks/medals are tied to game-types. For example, in Plunder the only medals you can earn are picking up an objective, returning it, killing a carrier, and so forth. The moment it allows for, earn 5 kills with this gun, grenade this many people, get this many double-downs -- everything goes to shit.

Medal of Honor called them score-chains, Uncharted calls them "kickbacks" there is no getting around it -- they are essentially KILL-STREAKS.

The problem is... I don't care how it's implemented, people will farm for the required amount of medals/kills/etc. regardless. Even if acquiring a certain medals didn't involve kills but were solely objective based -- you'd still have players who will find a way to farm for the 'X' amount needed, i.e. camp the treasure during plunder and wait carriers from the opposing team to pick it up until you reach the required amount for your kick-back.

Honestly, I don't there is a way to completely deter players from doing this. Sure, it won't be as easy, but it can and will be done. I doubt it'll be as bad or an epidemic problem like in other shooters that have a similar mechanic.

Polo67

Kinda off topic but I'm watching GTTV with uncharted 3 and there showing Gear 3 voice actor for Jace.. What happen to Drake? how did he loose the voice acting part?

rdrr gnr

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
The problem is... I don't care how it's implemented, people will farm for the required amount of medals/kills/etc. regardless. Even if acquiring a certain medals didn't involve kills but were solely objective based -- you'd still have players who will find a way to farm for the 'X' amount needed, i.e. camp the treasure during plunder and wait carriers from the opposing team to pick it up until you reach the required amount for your kick-back.

Honestly, I don't there is a way to completely deter players from doing this. Sure, it won't be as easy, but it can and will be done. I doubt it'll be as bad or an epidemic problem like in other shooters that have a similar mechanic.

I said in a post from a few pages ago, a way in which I would be okay with this underhanded implementation of kill-streaks, would be to NOT TRACK K/D in objective game-types. This means, it won't appear on the scoreboard during the game, it won't appear in your personal stats in the main menu, and won't be available to access online. Again, that's only in objective game-types. You could still track K/D in elimination, deathmatch, and team deathmatch game-types. Farming for kills and minimizing deaths is the whole point of those game-types so I don't care how you achieve your end goal.

I just don't want to see it with objective play. By not tracking K/D there is no point to farm for kills -- they won't track, you won't even know, nobody else will know (which is the core of the problem) and it emphasizes winning over everything else.

And have winning matter and losing hurt. Have the losing team lose third of all the experience and give it to the winning team. Have W/L associated trophies. Crap like this is the only way to deter against the evolved selfishness of online gaming to a degree, like you so eloquently said, there will always be some asshole-ishness. A small part of it will always be there, but it can be minimized if there is sufficient reward and substantial punishment. Not to sound like a masochist, but punishment works. You can't just add kill-streaks to your formula and expect it to stick. BALANCE.

MuseManMike said:
I said in a post from a few pages ago, a way in which I would be okay with this underhanded implementation of kill-streaks, would be to NOT TRACK K/D in objective game-types. This means, it won't appear on the scoreboard during the game, it won't appear in your personal stats in the main menu, and won't be available to access online. Again, that's only in objective game-types. You could still track K/D in elimination, deathmatch, and team deathmatch game-types. Farming for kills and minimizing deaths is the whole point of those game-types so I don't care how you achieve your end goal.

I just don't want to see it with objective play. By not tracking K/D there is no point to farm for kills -- they won't track, you won't even know, nobody else will know (which is the core of the problem) and it emphasizes winning over everything else.

And have winning matter and losing hurt. Have the losing team lose third of all the experience and give it to the winning team. Have W/L associated trophies. Crap like this is the only way to deter against the evolved selfishness of online gaming to a degree, like you so eloquently said, there will always be some asshole-ishness. A small part of it will always be there, but it can be minimized if there is sufficient reward and substantial punishment. Not to sound like a masochist, but punishment works. You can't just add kill-streaks to your formula and expect it to stick. BALANCE.

err.. no. I'm against punishing the bad players. because I definitely belong to that group, but I still want to have fun and don't like the idea of being punished on top of losing the match.

r.gun

Neo Member
MuseManMike said:

Punishing the losers will never work, because they will just quit before the game is over. It already happens to a certain degree in most online shooters, and I believe I read somewhere that ND is actually working on a system that will allow the losing team to work towards getting some better rewards than they would have in Uncharted 2 for the sole purpose of trying to stop losers from quitting out.

I agree with you, but only to an extent. While I do believe an emphasis on W/L needs to greater (Inability to view K/D during a match works.. maybe?), I think not tracking K/D in objective based modes is a bit excessive.

I'm not for punishing a losing team either, especially in the matter you described. Heh, I think losing in itself is punishment enough. Plus, if anything, punishments for losing will just increase the number of players dropping from a match because of a potential loss.

I think displaying only the score during a objective based match would help (works in BC2). But that still doesn't take into the account the real culprit... the killstreak(s). What then? ...rid all objective based modes of them?

KAOz

Short bus special
Polo67 said:
Kinda off topic but I'm watching GTTV with uncharted 3 and there showing Gear 3 voice actor for Jace.. What happen to Drake? how did he loose the voice acting part?

Conflict with schedules, so Drake couldn't do it. So, they had to switch.

rdrr gnr

So we should cater to bad players? I'm not trying to offend anybody. But, if you feel as though the game is too difficult and feel the urge to quit -- good riddance. Catering to bad players is absolutely not the direction to in.

ALL issues of quitting + bad players having a frustrating experience should/can be solved by improved matchmaking. Plain and simple. If you get put into a group and then against a group of similarly skilled players, your problem is solved. There is always "social" style matchmaking where you can just have a fun time where nothing counts and so forth.

I'm not trying to/looking create/for an ultra hardcore gaming experience, I myself play MP casually. I understand this is a business and how the industry works. I'd be more surprised if there wasn't some CoD influence on a game boasting about their MP. All I'm asking for is balance. I want them to appeal to the core MP crowd as much as the CoD crowd. I don't think it's too much to ask.

Also: Kill-streaks have become the bane of my existence.

r.gun

Neo Member
From the blog:

A couple of things we’ve learned over the past year and a half of reviewing thousands upon thousands of Uncharted 2 matches is that it really sucks to be blown out on the way to losing a match and that winning or losing a tightly contested match by some kill made way off-screen is a bit of a letdown. We’ve thought of some ways to make these inevitable multiplayer moments a bit more exciting and satisfying. Power Plays activate when one team is way behind in the score count. They provide the team on top with an opportunity to maximize their cash for the match, while evening the odds a little for the team on the losing end of the equation and giving them the opportunity to close the gap a little.

If matches are too close to call as they get close to the end, Overtime will activate, giving either time an opportunity to win the match by more than one point within a limited time. If the game is still too close to call, the match enters Sudden Death. Sudden Death is similar to Elimination – there are no respawns and the last player standing wins the match for their team.

Sound like some good additions to me.

jett

D-Member
I wonder what changes are they going to bring to plunder. Was my favorite game mode until ND utterly ruined it with the health changes. I'm not one of those militant 1.04 fans, but they undeniably destroyed Plunder.

jett said:
I wonder what changes are they going to bring to plunder. Was my favorite game mode until ND utterly ruined it with the health changes. I'm not one of those militant 1.04 fans, but they undeniably destroyed Plunder.

One change I'd like to see is the ability to roll to cancel the treasure pick-up animation. It seems like half the time I die in Plunder is when I'm picking up up the treasure and reduced health made it ten times worse. It's even hard to get the Protectorate medals because the treasure carrier dies so fast that you can't protect them. And as well as everyone on the team getting a captured medal I think that whoever puts the treasure in the chest should get an extra medal too along with a Capture assist or something for another player who had the treasure in the last 5-10 seconds.

KAOz

Short bus special
electroshockwave said:
And as well as everyone on the team getting a captured medal I think that whoever puts the treasure in the chest should get an extra medal too along with a Capture assist or something for another player who had the treasure in the last 5-10 seconds.

Did you play the BETA? Because, yeah, originally only the guy who put the treasure in got a medal. This didn't really work though, because fuckasses started doing nothing but standing back at the start, just waiting for people to throw the treasure up, so they could grab it and get the points. Pissed me off alot. Since they did nothing but do that.
And that was part of the change to everyone getting the medal.

Maybe I am just cynical, but that would just reappear if they changed it all "back".

jett

D-Member
KAOz said:
Did you play the BETA? Because, yeah, originally only the guy who put the treasure in got a medal. This didn't really work though, because fuckasses started doing nothing but standing back at the start, just waiting for people to throw the treasure up, so they could grab it and get the points. Pissed me off alot. Since they did nothing but do that.

Maybe I am just cynical, but that would just reappear if they changed it all "back".

Yep, beta was a clusterfuck. The way it is right now is the only way it can work.

KAOz said:

No, I didn't play the beta but I'm not surprised that people would do that, which is why I'd want the Captured medal to remain for the whole team and the addition of the capture assist medal for whoever's throwing the treasure up.

Speaking of betas, does anyone know if the UC3 beta will have co-op too or just competitive?

Kinyou

Irish said:
Perfectly tossed grenades should not get you kills? I don't see the logic behind that.

Still, you have no business worrying about the grenades. You'll be spending 95% of your time in Co-Op anyway. :p
The problem is that throwing them isn't hard at all, most of the times the grenade lands exactly where the reticule points at. Also are the grenades always perfectly cooked and explode almost immediately after they hit the ground.
For example is it way harder to kill someone with with grenades in CoD 4 since you have to throw them in an angle and time how long you hold the grenade.
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Didn't people already do this in Uncharted 2 even though there were no Killstreaks?

MuseManMike said:
And have winning matter and losing hurt. Have the losing team lose third of all the experience and give it to the winning team.
Bad idea.

If you want to reward the winning team even further give them a 1.5% Cash bonus, like in Killzone 2. I don't see the need for it, though.

On another note, here's a new Badge of Honor for you ND: Like A Boss: You can only walk while using this and it gets you $30k every 5 kills.

jett

D-Member
RyanardoDaVinci said:
On another note, here's a new Badge of Honor for you ND: Like A Boss: You can only walk while using this and it gets you $30k every 5 kills.

Should be renamed The Camper's Choice.

Yeah..................don't quit your day job buddy. :p

Yeef

Irish said:
Perfectly tossed grenades should not get you kills? I don't see the logic behind that.
Watch it again. At 1:40 on the plaza king of the hill match the guy on the left clearly jumps out of the grenade's range but still gets killed by it. Uncharted's grenades were extremely temperamental because of the netcode. Reducing the radius didn't make the jankiness of the grenades any better, but it does reduce the chance of that kind of stuff happening. That said, i always felt that the ideal radius was somewhere in between the old and the new, but if I had to choose between them I'd stick with the new unless Naughty Dog can clean up the netcode.

ACE 1991

ProtoCents said:
That's dubstep?

Interesting.

Nope, it's not. Skrillex's songs have a lot of dubstep elements in them, but they aren't strictly dubstep. This song does definitely not fall into the genre. Still catchy though =P

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Please, no stupid multiplayer trophies.

It was perfect in U2 with just completing 1 of each mode and then having dedicated MP trophies in the DLC packs.
so...yes stupid MP trophies? They don't have to be the main ones attached to the platinum.

alr1ghtstart said:
Better look at the HUD
[]http://i.imgur.com/28P8e.jpg[/IMG]
[]http://i.imgur.com/NeKYI.jpg[/IMG]

& popups (let us turn these off)
[]http://i.imgur.com/2mni0.jpg[/IMG]

kill notification seems broken. lol

It was FFA

-viper-

Banned
Rewrite said:
Sorry, but I disagree with you. I don't feel like it's outdated at all. I strongly believe that weapon pick ups make things more interesting and more fair because everyone starts with the same set of weapons. It's a fair game from the very beginning and you have the option to pick up additional weapons/ammo wherever they are in the map. Not only does this lead to exploration of the maps, but it makes you learn the maps. I can see new players being annoyed because they don't know where all the weapons are, but that's easily fixed in a couple of matches and even if you don't get the general concept of where everything is, there's always cinema mode where you can explore the map at your whim by yourself. I honestly have never had any of my team mates complain because I pick up a power weapon like the RPG or a Sniper Rifle in my whole time playing Uncharted 2. Yes, there's some risk in trying to get them, but since it's a third person shooter, you have the ability to always check your surroundings at all times (thanks to the camera), making it less of a risk and more of a strategic attempt.
I agree 100%.

Weapon pick ups >> loadouts.

Bolded one of the main reasons why I prefer weapon pick ups. It also helps cut down on camping

jett

D-Member
Game looks a lot better in-game than in the cinematic angles of the trailer. Funny that.

p.s. I don't need to be told how much money each kill has given me....I'm gonna miss the simplicity of U2MP, aren't i.

Top Bottom