• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 preview thread. New footage/info

What spoilers are even being discussed? The tagged bits that Javin posted are literally in the goddamn trailer. Hell, a tagged location he posted is present in these very previews we're supposed to be discussing! Jesus Christ! Some of you need to chill.

strafer

People really like that Uncharted 2 huh.

The train part was fucking awful. Didn't help that Nathan Drake moved like a dumbass and you fall of easy.

Shin-chan

What spoilers are even being discussed? The tagged bits that Javin posted are literally in the goddamn trailer. Hell, a tagged location he posted is present in these very previews we're supposed to be discussing! Jesus Christ! Some of you need to chill.

I get that they could be nothing / innocuous but how do you know that unless you click them, which people avoiding spoilers aren't going to do?

jediyoshi

Naughty Dog manages to get better witch each game they make.Their last game TLOU is the most awarded SSM codified GOAT by a lot of people. Uncharted 2 won't be hard for Neil and Bruce to top, it's already looking to top it.

We're just omitting Uncharted 3 from history, eh.

Shin-chan

If you don't click them, you're not spoiled...

My point was that people discussing spoilers in here makes it more difficult for others wanting to avoid them to discuss anything else. And all it takes is for one spoiler tag to not work or someone to forget.

But, whatever, I'm not a mod so if people want to discuss leaked information then it's not like any of us can stop them. It's just a request to leave it for the appropriate threads and leave this for the discussion of officially released media.

Edit: and I get now that what was posted is not really spoilers, so it's a little overblown in this case. They were still tagged.

As great as 2 was, there was room for improvement. The core of the gameplay has improved undeniably for 4. Uncharted 3 had plenty of examples of what not to do in regards to set-pieces and enemy encounters. Leads from 2 working on 4. All the stars are aligning.

Watched the GDC talk. So awesome.

On a side note, really interesting that more enemies are added in Hard mode. I think that should do well to not only increase replayability, but make it more fun for those who think there's already too much gun fighting because the combat scenarios take them longer, those players can just play on Normal and have slightly less of it to worry about. Then for people like me who prefer more gunfights and greatly enjoy combat, the Harder modes give more of it.
Nice. While I usually start on hard, I'm going to start on normal for my first playthrough, this way I can have a higher difficulty to look forward to that isn't crushing on my second playthrough.

Hopefully it's still challenging.

As great as 2 was, there was room for improvement. The core of the gameplay has improved undeniably for 4. Uncharted 3 had plenty of examples of what not to do in regards to set-pieces and enemy encounters. Leads from 2 working on 4. All the stars are aligning.

It also includes some examples of what you should do. For example, I still think the boat wreckage shootout is probably the best pure gameplay sequence in the series. It's a big open area with tons of combat options. U4 has definitely gone in that direction.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Lots of people, including myself, haven't even watched the trailer, so yes, they are spoilers.

It also includes some examples of what you should do. For example, I still think the boat wreckage shootout is probably the best pure gameplay sequence in the series. It's a big open area with tons of combat options. U4 has definitely gone in that direction.

Uncharted 3's arenas were great, but they were marred by weak encounter and enemy design.

The structure for that shootout is great, but the basic combat was hurt by the aiming being borked (initially), basic enemies' lack of reacting to being shot at times, and the grab/roll controls still hurt that game. And outside of those kind of areas, the more linear encounter design in 3 was generally poor and closer to 1's "dudes just pour into this room," approach.

4 has those areas, but it still has those linear A-to-B fights like what 2 mostly consisted of (which had more careful design than their equivalent in 3). And they can't in good conscience take after those in 3 for 4's.

UC1 = Demon's Souls
UC2 = Dark Souls
UC3 = Dark Souls 2
TLOU = Bloodborne
UC4 = Dark Souls 3

nileseyy-niles-o.gif

Then stay out of Uncharted threads? You're currently posting in a thread specifically about a large hands-on preview.

Yeah, it's not reasonable expect stuff in the OP to not be discussed openly. The leaks are in a separate thread though.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Then stay out of Uncharted threads? You're currently posting in a thread specifically about a large hands-on preview.

You can skim through the thread to read impressions of said trailer/previews, skip over gifs etc and you'll be fine. No need to stay out of the thread.

whoever put the grab function in the same place as the roll button in UC3 should be banned from working on video games forever

love trying to roll away from an enemy and I end up grabbing him for another inescapble button mashing melee QTE

The train part was fucking awful. Didn't help that Nathan Drake moved like a dumbass and you fall of easy.

Ell Oh Ell

That last part is particularly funny since "auto-platforming" is such a common complaint.

UC1 = Demon's Souls
UC2 = Dark Souls
UC3 = Dark Souls 2
TLOU = Bloodborne
UC4 = Dark Souls 3

I'm pretty sure Uncharted 4 is going to be better than 1 and (maybe) TLoU, not worse.

I actually dont think UC4 will be better TLOU, at least for me. Like I'm sure it'll be the best UC game, but there are things about the Last of Us the Uncharted series can't replicate. Just an inherent limitation of the formula they got going on, with all its clambering bits and Pg-13 violence and matinee adventure storytelling.

Javin98

Banned
I know, right? The spoiler sensitivity has been getting ridiculous as of late.

SomTervo

You're insane. It's the greatest train level ever. ND managed to turn tiny train carriages into stealth/combat sandboxes, while also functioning as an excellent cinematic set piece.

I've fallen off a few times but it was always my fault. Sounds like you're the one who moves like a dumbass

UC2 has 96 on Metacritic (not that this means much by itself). It is a fucking gem of a game

I actually dont think UC4 will be better TLOU, at least for me. Like I'm sure it'll be the best UC game, but there are things about the Last of Us the Uncharted series can't replicate. Just an inherent limitation of the formula they got going on, with all its clambering bits and Pg-13 violence and matinee adventure storytelling.

For gameplay it should pass it rather easy but for certain other things it might not for some.
Like you said TLOU and UC very different in tone.

There are actually things about the TLOU gameplay that I generally prefer, through a combination of factors. The M-rating allows for a level of visceral violence that UC can't do, with some really brutal animations and incredible sound design. The stealth/action hook and survivor aspect with the intelligent AI made every encounter pretty tense. Its to the point where getting into melee fights with random thugs could end in death, where UC it just kinda looks cool and you're never in any real danger. There's a tension to many of TLOU's best encounters UC doesn't really have, due to the availability of all its ammo, or all the movement options you have, and your regenerating health. Its a power fantasy where TLOU was like...a struggle fantasy, lol. And the way they married those mechanics and ideas to their larger narrative ambitions is on another level from Uncharted.

He's not wrong about the train part. It's the worst part of the game easily imo.

I think it's excellent. I like the gameplay, which has you climbing the roof, move in and out of windows and move through the cars, dodging signs and fighting enemies, with your aim affected by the train's movement. Jumping from car to car is ace as well.

It mixes things up well, from the clever way you take out the machine gunner to the turret scene and the helicopter fight prior to it.

The scenery is awesome as well, I especially like the way it transitions from a lush jungle to a dark tunnel to snowy mountains.

Only the boss at the end is shit.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just finished my first Crushing run of U2, game still fucking rocks. Elena was really adventurous in it, she pushed Drake into so much crazy situations. On PS3 I only finished it once on Normal.

In the next few weeks I only plan hunting for few remaining U2 trophies. I will start the crushing run of U3 only after I am finished with U4.

As for U4, my first playthorugh will most likely be on Normal. I want to have the freedom to experiment during firefights and have fun. I really don't recommend anyone to use Crushing for their 1st run. That difficulty really pushes the player to play very safely and with minimal risk taking.

I think it's excellent. I like the gameplay, which has you climbing the roof, move in and out of windows and move through the cars, dodging signs and fighting enemies, with your aim affected by the train's movement. Jumping from car to car is ace as well.

It mixes things up well, from the clever way you take out the machine gunner to the turret scene and the helicopter fight prior to it.

The scenery is awesome as well, I especially like the way it transitions from a lush jungle to a dark tunnel to snowy mountains.

Only the boss at the end is shit.
Fair points but I still don't like it :p

Alienous

I appreciate there is a thread for it, and I've been entirely respectful of that in this thread.

(...)

I'd love to know how you feel these things will affect your enjoyment of the game?
And I'd love to know if you think you could still enjoy the game if you knew the ending?

I don't want to know anything the developers don't want me to know prior to release. It's not a case of 'but I'd still enjoy it'; I'll be paying full price day one and I want the full experience, twists, turns and all. It isn't necessary but it's preferable to being spoiled.

SomTervo

Why bring it up, then?

1. It indicates some measure of quality, however subjective that idea is.

2. It's in the top .1% best rated games of all time. It's fine to think Drake handles like a balloon, but this clearly wasnt a big issue for tens/hundreds of critics who scrutinised the game.

1) not everyone feels that way about it
2) you don't get to decide that for other people
3) you can't undo a spoiler, and can only go into something without knowing what happens once

No matter your stance on it, ultimately, it boils down to "keep it in the spoiler threads."

"But playing the game is what matters mos-"

just keep it in the spoiler threads

"It's just as frustrating to hear people complain about spoi-"

ok. keep it in the spoiler threads

"all I'm doing is discussion vague aspects of the leaks, not-"

keep in the spoiler threads

Did my post really require that kind of response from you? I opened with "I keep it in the spoiler thread, and I also like that they exist". I don't need that reiterated to me in a churlish fashion.

I acknowledged that there are viewpoints other than my own on spoilers and I was asking one specific poster (who posted wonderfully and probably more respectfully than me below) how he feels it would impact his experience if the ending was spoiled for him.

I don't want to know anything the developers don't want me to know prior to release. It's not a case of 'but I'd still enjoy it'; I'll be paying full price day one and I want the full experience, twists, turns and all. It isn't necessary but it's preferable to being spoiled.

But you would still enjoy it? I can understand being upset by major spoilers, although I still enjoyed TLoU immensely after being spoiled.

But I don't understand what you can actually read into discussion of these leaks. I feel like these leaks themselves are totally uninformative. I think the one way they WOULD spoil the game is by acting as a measure for how far through you are. Maybe that's damaging to the experience?

If you think that's "churlish," or that your publicly-posted posts can only be responded to by whoever you originally quoted, then you must have a rough time on message boards in general.

EDIT: and if you say "I promise you can still enjoy the game, even if you DID know every story beat," in response to someone asking spoiler discussion/speculation over leaks be taken to the right thread, then people will assume you don't get it, and, in turn, need to read a post like the one I made.

The train part is like the most impressive part of the whole game.

The only thing that sucked maybe was the boss fight at the end, but the rest was gold.

Gurish

There are actually things about the TLOU gameplay that I generally prefer, through a combination of factors. The M-rating allows for a level of visceral violence that UC can't do, with some really brutal animations and incredible sound design. The stealth/action hook and survivor aspect with the intelligent AI made every encounter pretty tense. Its to the point where getting into melee fights with random thugs could end in death, where UC it just kinda looks cool and you're never in any real danger. There's a tension to many of TLOU's best encounters UC doesn't really have, due to the availability of all its ammo, or all the movement options you have, and your regenerating health. Its a power fantasy where TLOU was like...a struggle fantasy, lol. And the way they married those mechanics and ideas to their larger narrative ambitions is on another level from Uncharted.
Agree completely, ND always makes U4 looks super cool in their gameplay presentations, like they constantly move, run away from enemies and re engage them, using ropes etc, and we all know there isn't any actual need for that, ypu have plenty of ammo, regenerating health, there is no real sense of danger, it can never be as intense and nerve breaking as TLOU's combat.

Honestly I was kind of hoping they would at least cancel the regenerating health for U4, I don't know any game that has a real sense of danger and tension with this health system, it sucks.

Agree completely, ND always makes U4 looks super cool in their gameplay presentations, like they constantly move, run away, using ropes, and we all know there isn't any actual need for that, ypu have plenty of ammo, regenerating health, there is no real sense of danger, it can never be as intense and nerve breaking as TLOU's combat.

Honestly I was kind of hoping they would at least cancel the regenerating health for U4, I don't know any game that has a real sense of danger and tension with this health system, it sucks.

What you talking about depends on difficulty .
Things were in now way intense and nerve breaking in TLOU on normal .
Plus on higher difficulty regenerating health don't mean much when 2 or 3 shots can kill you .
I can see on the hard difficulty and above you need to used all your tools in UC4 .

Alienous

But you would still enjoy it? I can understand being upset by major spoilers, although I still enjoyed TLoU immensely after being spoiled.

But I don't understand what you can actually read into discussion of these leaks. I feel like these leaks themselves are totally uninformative. I think the one way they WOULD spoil the game is by acting as a measure for how far through you are. Maybe that's damaging to the experience?

These won't be the only leaks, and it's better to just keep them all in the appropriate threads. Different people perceive spoilers in different things. If we stick to only discussing things that are part of the marketing in regular Uncharted 4 threads, and stick to posting leaked information in the Uncharted 4 Spoiler threads, then it's less likely people will be accidentally spoiled on elements of the game. As Spring-Loaded said in his posts, keep it in the spoiler threads.

Would I still enjoy Uncharted 4 if parts of it were spoiled? I imagine yes. I also imagine I'd enjoy it less and less with every spoiler. If it can be avoided I'd prefer not having parts of the experience spoiled.

Top Bottom