• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted (PS4) announced, developed by protozoans and Druckmann's evil karma

He's a smart programming dude. He did a Siggraph presentation last year on UE4 shading. Probably why ND took interest in him. But studio culture is a real thing; Epic and ND may differ greatly in that aspect. The timing is a bit peculiar, though.

Indeed, I wonder if Henning brought him on?

monome

The timing is a bit peculiar, though.

1 month.

for someone whom you say is a professional.

and no matter what it is said, occurences of a Game Director leaving a project while it's in full production is weird. Especially for a long time employee. And one of the driving forces behind ND's "breakout" series.

Aklamarth

stryke said:
I'm not sure if this should be of concern. It's most likely a coincidence but timing is a little suspect -

s9nTYYS.png

D2uJ90l.png

It's not like we're seeing a mass exodus so it's probably unrelated to whatever is going down at ND at the moment but to not even stick around for 2 months...he must have not liked it there.

Wow....so this guy basically worked on ND 1 month and a few days ? Situation is kind of crazy...

Wow....so this guy basically worked on ND 1 month and a few days ? Situation is kind of crazy...

It's not crazy. ND has a policy of getting rid of "bad apples", as they describe them. If things aren't working out, they open the position to someone else who might fit in better.

Cause it wouldn't be Uncharted anymore.
Seems like you wanna play a different IP.
You should keep Mirror's Edge.

I was responding to a comment that suggested to implement the "Tomb Raider" formula to the series.

I'm not sure if this should be of concern. It's most likely a coincidence but timing is a little suspect -

s9nTYYS.png

D2uJ90l.png

It's not like we're seeing a mass exodus so it's probably unrelated to whatever is going down at ND at the moment but to not even stick around for 2 months...he must have not liked it there.

Wow, this is.... very strange. First the SSM fiasco now even ND is affected. The hell is going on in Sony's FPStudios?

I was responding to a comment that suggested to implement the "Tomb Raider" formula to the series.

Wow, this is.... very strange. First the SSM fiasco now even ND is affected. The hell is going on in Sony's FPStudios?

What is strange about it and what does this have to do with SSM or Sony First Party?

KAL2006

Banned
Sony need to hurry up and show a full first party game from either Santa Monica or Naughty Dog, I don't want shit cutscenes but gameplay. The past few weeks have been disappointing, Drive Club disappearing, The Order looked nice, but no multiplayer, and brief gameplay didn't impress me. Uncharted got a boring teaser. Santa Monica new IP got cancelled with staff let go, Amy Hennig let go. I need to see something Sony, I know you ave stuff cooking but keeping quiet is not helping.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
She's more than a writer though, right? Doesn't she direct games?

No need to be smug.
She was the creative director. Not the game director.

Technical people hire other technical people. Because only technical people can assess the skills of other technical people in their field.

You ever stop to think that possibly he was the issue? Not Naughty Dog?

ICPEE

Sony need to hurry up and show a full first party game from either Santa Monica or Naughty Dog, I don't want shit cutscenes but gameplay. The past few weeks have been disappointing, Drive Club disappearing, The Order looked nice, but no multiplayer, and brief gameplay didn't impress me. Uncharted got a boring teaser. Santa Monica new IP got cancelled with staff let go, Amy Hennig let go. I need to see something Sony, I know you ave stuff cooking but keeping quiet is not helping.
Don't worry bud. All is good with Sony's first party studios. I'm sure development of their projects have gone unaffected.

Massa

Don't worry bud. All is good with Sony's first party studios. I'm sure development of their projects have gone unaffected.

Yeah, except for the ones that were canceled or lost their creative director I'm sure everything is peachy over there.

andycapps

They don't really need to do any of that. Settle down. They have PR cycles, events that they'll be putting information out at, etc. You throwing a fit on GAF about these things isn't going to do anything.

I just noticed there is a '4' in the video (Uncharted 4 reference?). See skull. Also, if you see the video, the way that mark is drawn, is very obvious it is a 4.

uncharted4.jpg

KAL2006

Banned
They don't really need to do any of that. Settle down. They have PR cycles, events that they'll be putting information out at, etc. You throwing a fit on GAF about these things isn't going to do anything.

Well it's already March, usually big games for holiday 2014 get announced around March-April. So there is still hope I guess. If Sony don't announce anything new by E3, I guess The Order and delayed Drive Club are the only big titles left for 2014 for Sony. New E3 stuff is usually for 2015 games. Drive Club is cool I guess, but I'm not too fond of The Order, I wasn't a huge fan of Ready at Dawn's PSP games, and I still am not convinced they can match Last of Us in story telling, gameplay from that brief video seemed to QTE eavy, and lack of multiplayer is big for a shooter especially if The Order is the big game of 2014.

s9nTYYS.png

D2uJ90l.png

I'm doubting this has anything to do with Amy Hennig. Also, do you believe Naughty Dogs culture changed that much in those months? I don't.

Servbot24

Banned

Not really. This will basically happen at any random company, usually a few times a year. I imagine that a very difficult to get into company like ND is even more strict about who they keep on.

Not to mention, most people become developers because of their passion for games. If you get stuck on a game you're not passionate about it's natural you'd look for work elsewhere.

You can scratch the SSM game off the list. They canceled their game that was likely coming out soon and they usually take a long time to release games. So Barlog's GOW is not going to be shown so soon I'd presume.

stryke

I'm doubting this has anything to do with Amy Hennig. Also, do you believe Naughty Dogs culture changed that much in those months? I don't.

I didn't intend relate this with Hennig in particular (and since he's tech he'd have very little to do with her) but I don't think he entered ND at the greatest of times. I have no idea what the atmosphere is like there, it could be rainbows and unicorns for all I know but I'm not convinced ND are in a phase right now where everything is smooth sailing (or maybe such a thing is rare in a game dev world lol but maybe he was a little turned off by that...maybe. But no I don't think ND culture has fundamentally changed either, they're very capable of trucking along without her.

It's amazing that two people leave a studio and now there's apparently something wrong wit them. People forget all about all the hirings that ND has done lately, including one really important one in Corrinne Yu because of two departures (one from a guy that people probably didn't even know was there until he announced that he was leaving),.

andycapps

Well it's already March, usually big games for holiday 2014 get announced around March-April. So there is still hope I guess. If Sony don't announce anything new by E3, I guess The Order and delayed Drive Club are the only big titles left for 2014 for Sony. New E3 stuff is usually for 2015 games. Drive Club is cool I guess, but I'm not too fond of The Order, I wasn't a huge fan of Ready at Dawn's PSP games, and I still am not convinced they can match Last of Us in story telling, gameplay from that brief video seemed to QTE eavy, and lack of multiplayer is big for a shooter especially if The Order is the big game of 2014.

Infamous is about to come out. Destiny is this year, unless you're only looking at exclusives. MLB 14: The Show is this year. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, The Witness, and Transistor seem like really cool exclusives that they have coming.

I think you're going to see some more announcements at E3. Media Molecule has been up to something, for sure and I think that should make a big splash there.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Not really. Some jobs have about a month long period to acclimate yourself to see if you're a good fit for the environment there. Epic also may have just really wanted him back and offered him more money.

With fans like these, who needs a Comms department?

It just so happens that I'm relaying pretty much the exact words Jason Gregory (lead programmer at ND) told everyone (and showed in a slide) in a talk he gave at my old university, called "Dogged Determination: Insights Into the Development Process and Key Technologies Used by Naughty Dog", last week. And I just so happened to be there!

But hey, nice try I guess.

Andrefpvs

It just so happens that I'm relaying pretty much the exact words Jason Gregory (lead programmer at ND) told everyone (and showed in a slide) in a talk he gave at my old university, called "Dogged Determination: Insights Into the Development Process and Key Technologies Used by Naughty Dog", last week. And I just so happened to be there!

But hey, nice try I guess.

I was at the same talk, and can confirm he used those exact words. He was mostly talking about programmers who don't fit in, I believe.

I was at the same talk, and can confirm he used those exact words. He was mostly talking about programmers who don't fit in, I believe.

Yeah, I know, that's why I was replying about Brian Karis (Senior Graphics Programmer at Epic Games) leaving ND so soon after getting in as "not crazy".
It also wouldn't surprise me if this policy was the same for everyone in the company, but I was specifically talking about that guy.

You can scratch the SSM game off the list. They canceled their game that was likely coming out soon and they usually take a long time to release games. So Barlog's GOW is not going to be shown so soon I'd presume.

Given that we never saw or really heard anything about it, that's impossible to say (unless I've missed something, which is possible given how busy I've been lately). Maybe Sony cancelled it because it'd ended up in development hell and was still years off release.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They aren't going to announce release date for Uncharted on a PS Blog post in a list of other games. The date hasn't been confirmed for 2014 so they aren't putting it in the list.

Yeah, they'll want Uncharted's release date to have the spotlight all to itself.

EGM1966

You ever stop to think that possibly he was the issue? Not Naughty Dog?

Indeed. When you get a join/leave/return to previous company that quick its 99% of the time down to the employee, and that goes for any industry.

Seems very unlikely this means anything terrible about ND in general.

Top Bottom