• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted (PS4) announced, developed by protozoans and Druckmann's evil karma

Looks like Naughty Dog just followed Emily Rose (Elena Fisher) and Todd Stashwick on Twitter at the same time.

Uncharted4.png

http://www.igameresponsibly.com/201...n-in-uncharted-4-drake-may-not-be-far-behind/

Well, that was a given.

That should be the case. They've had Todd in doing work for awhile, and i'd assume the same goes for the other actors that they can't talk about right now.

Does that mean her part in the game is done, for the most part? The story written, and all that.

Well she was on to writing U4 straight after U3 which finished in 2011 so she's had 2 and 1/2 years to work on most of the story/themes and iron out details. Can't wait to see some of the footage hopefully GDC or E3 will give me the fix I need.

I just hope she left on good terms. But the silence from ND is deafening. If she left on a good note I would have thought we would have heard something directly from her via Twitter by now :(

demolitio

Well she was on to writing U4 straight after U3 which finished in 2011 so she's had 2 and 1/2 years to work on most of the story/themes and iron out details. Can't wait to see some of the footage hopefully GDC or E3 will give me the fix I need.

I just hope she left on good terms. But the silence from ND is deafening. If she left on a good note I would have thought we would have heard something directly from her via Twitter by now :(

Yea, kind of a sad situation but maybe some good can come out of this and she'll go to a studio that desperately needs a good writer since so many games out there miss on that front.

I don't think it will affect U4 at this point since like you said, it's been cooking for quite a while and the story should be nailed down.

I do find the idea that Druckmann or Straley 'forced her out' kind of ridiculous.

Surely they'd prefer focus on something new, than bother her on Uncharted 4?

But then Neil does seem most closely matched in roles (from the outside), so presumably he'd have to take over?

This whole thing sucks, I wasn't particularly excited for a new Uncharted in the first place, which the characters and story being the only thing that'd really interest me. Then losing one of the most influential minds behind these characters.

Honestly, wish they'd just move onto a new IP.

hope they don't kill Elena..i'm scared now.

Same, she's my favorite character. I don't think Emily has recorded anything yet since her pregnancy and season 4 of Haven have kept her busy over the last couple of years. Haven has been renewed for a fifth season so hopefully she's working on Uncharted now and will have enough time to have a significant role in the game before she has to return to Nova Scotia.
Looking at how tight her schedule is there might be a temptation to just kill the character, I really wouldn't like that.

Twix

Now that Amy Hennig isn't apart of ND, what happens next?

I see Richard Lemerchand and Amy Hennig's as the end of Uncharted as we know it.

Losing a lead gameplay designer along with the creative director is a significant loss no matter how people look at it.

U4 will be different to some extent, that's for sure.

I see Richard Lemerchand and Amy Hennig's as the end of Uncharted as we know it.

Losing a lead gameplay designer along with the creative director is a significant loss no matter how people look at it.

That might be a good thing. A standard Uncharted adventure with upgraded visuals is not what I want from ND.

I think, the new open world style of the Next Gen Tomb Raider could work on Uncharted 4, too, but I am not sure, if this could hurt the great cinematic aspect of the series.

Why force different design choices into a game that has it's own formula? Hell, why not make Uncharted a first-person game since Mirror's Edge have done it so well.

Jack cw

And that might be a good thing when looking at Uncharted 3. It was decent, but miles away from part 1 and two. Naughty Dog has top talent, and have proven with Last of Us that they arent depending on Henning to deliver great story and design.

Persona7

Banned
And that might be a good thing when looking at Uncharted 3. It was decent, but miles away from part 1 and two. Naughty Dog has top talent, and have proven with Last of Us that they arent depending on Henning to deliver great story and design.

What about Uncharted 3? Amy Hennig directed and wrote Uncharted and Uncharted 2 as well.

Our goal is to continue what we’ve done in previous console generations and once again deliver the best in storytelling, performance capture, technical innovation and graphics on the PS4
Without any doubt everything that matters in a videogame. Videogames are art and those frikies that prioritize things like gameplay are just a shame for the supah-hardcorl gamahs that started playing thanks to the CGI and view videogames as interactive movies or a way to experience what wasn't possible on real life. Yiiiiiiiiiihaaaa!!!!

Same, she's my favorite character. I don't think Emily has recorded anything yet since her pregnancy and season 4 of Haven have kept her busy over the last couple of years. Haven has been renewed for a fifth season so hopefully she's working on Uncharted now and will have enough time to have a significant role in the game before she has to return to Nova Scotia.
Looking at how tight her schedule is there might be a temptation to just kill the character, I really wouldn't like that.

She actually asked them to kill off Elena in U3 for that exact reason. But she said by the time she was walking out of their office she was wondering why the hell she asked for that to happen. So, she emailed them and asked them not to do it.

What about Uncharted 3? Amy Hennig directed and wrote Uncharted and Uncharted 2 as well.

She wasn't the game director for U2. Here's a cap from the ending to show that

untitledpuoid.png

Jack cw

What about Uncharted 3? Amy Hennig directed and wrote uncharted and uncharted 2 as well.

UC3 had many things in design and writing that werent really good compared to its predecessors. Story was actually nice at the begining but got weaker until the end and had some plot holes. It was the most linear UC to date, the gunplay (even post patch) is simply bad or not as good as I expect from the series. The ingame store was completely cut. I loved the costumes, gameworld cheats, fast movement, one hit kills etc. just for the fun. Leveldesign was terrible at the end. Everything was done so waves after waves of enemies could approach you. It was ridiculous. The AI is terrible, the camera was misplaced often (ship graveyard). The forced stealth was everything but not fun and executed badly. For me, UC3 combnined many of the things that werent so good in UC 1 and 2 and made them even worse.

Persona7

Banned
UC3 had many things in design and writing that werent really good compared to its predecessors. Story was actually nice at the begining but got weaker until the end and had some plot holes. It was the most linear UC to date, the gunplay (even post patch) is simply bad or not as good as I expect from the series. The ingame store was completely cut. I loved the costumes, gameworld cheats, fast movement, one hit kills etc. just for the fun. Leveldesign was terrible at the end. Everything was done so waves after waves of enemies could approach you. It was ridiculous. The AI is terrible, the camera was misplaced often (ship graveyard). The forced stealth was everything but not fun and executed badly. For me, UC3 combnined many of the things that werent so good in UC 1 and 2 and made them even worse.

I don't know the exact story but apparently U3 had a rough development cycle.
Let me see if I can dig up some information.

I loved the first two Uncharted games, but in some ways Uncharted 3 felt like a bit of a parody of what had come before. In U3, it seemed that every single ledge/pipe/sign you climbed on was collapsing, loose, or falling. Every other moment seemed to have another pre-scripted set piece of scenery falling or blowing up. These moments are supposed to be once-in-a-while moments of "Agh!" but you basically expected it every time you went climbing in U3.

I hope for Uncharted 4 to tone that down a little. Also, less endless waves of enemies, less missile launcher/grenade/riot shield/sniper enemies... that stuff is so annoying.

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
I don't know the exact story but apparently U3 had a rough development cycle.
Let me see if I can dig up some information.

Remember the chase scene through the market area? Some of those gameplay elements featured in trailers. It became apparent after release that those trailer scenes still had to be worked into the story. I don't know if this was shoehorning it in or if this is common procedure during a development cycle but that was one of the things that the community tripped over..

RalchAC

I loved the first two Uncharted games, but in some ways Uncharted 3 felt like a bit of a parody of what had come before. In U3, it seemed that every single ledge/pipe/sign you climbed on was collapsing, loose, or falling. Every other moment seemed to have another pre-scripted set piece of scenery falling or blowing up. These moments are supposed to be once-in-a-while moments of "Agh!" but you basically expected it every time you went climbing in U3.

I hope for Uncharted 4 to tone that down a little. Also, less endless waves of enemies, less missile launcher/grenade/riot shield/sniper enemies... that stuff is so annoying.

Uncharted 2 opening it's probably one of my favorite starts in a game ever. I already played U1 and GA before U2, but that scenes made me feel uneasy. And I have that same feeling everytime I play through them.

My main concern against U3 (aside the fucking ship chapters which killed the game for me) is how "disconnected the story feels. It's like they decided the level first and Amy had to adapt the story to fill all those stages. The ship is the perfect example to show everything that was wrong in the game. Long, boring, story felt like a filler, lots of waves of enemies. And, even if this doesn't affect the whole game, the not so good shooting + the fact that everything is swinging the whole time really made me rage lol.

It's probably the only Uncharted game I'm sure I won't repeat on higher difficulties. I'm used to play everything on normal at first. I have GA platinum, beaten U2 in hard (sometime this year I'll go for crushing) and I want to revisit sometime U1 too. But 3? Never again, that game is bad for my health. If I want to have a heart attack sometime, I'll play that thing on crushing lol

Bundy

Banned
Why force different design choices into a game that has it's own formula? Hell, why not make Uncharted a first-person game since Mirror's Edge have done it so well.
Cause it wouldn't be Uncharted anymore.
Seems like you wanna play a different IP.
You should keep Mirror's Edge.

She actually asked them to kill off Elena in U3 for that exact reason. But she said by the time she was walking out of their office she was wondering why the hell she asked for that to happen. So, she emailed them and asked them not to do it.

Yeah, I'm aware of that.

Looks like the UC3 hate has arrived in full force so I'll show myself out.

Thread title seriously needs to be changed though.

X-Factor

Amy Hennig leaving pretty much means that Elena will be killed off in Uncharted 4.

She removed all of The Last of Us media she had on her twitter page yesterday but retweeted a fan mention of Elena being her favourite character.

https://twitter.com/amy_hennig/

One of the Last of Us' directors allegedly wanted to kill off Elena in Uncharted 2.
I hope they don't kill off Elena. She is one of the best video game heroines, with personality too.

ixR8fYqyhs1Cp.jpg

Rather than the likely route of killing off Elena and trying to prolong the series, I think the Uncharted series should end after U4 and Naughty Dog should make a new IP
if that is the direction they are headed in.

Persona7

Banned
Uncharted 2 opening it's probably one of my favorite starts in a game ever. I already played U1 and GA before U2, but that scenes made me feel uneasy. And I have that same feeling everytime I play through them.

My main concern against U3 (aside the fucking ship chapters which killed the game for me) is how "disconnected the story feels. It's like they decided the level first and Amy had to adapt the story to fill all those stages. The ship is the perfect example to show everything that was wrong in the game. Long, boring, story felt like a filler, lots of waves of enemies. And, even if this doesn't affect the whole game, the not so good shooting + the fact that everything is swinging the whole time really made me rage lol.

It's probably the only Uncharted game I'm sure I won't repeat on higher difficulties. I'm used to play everything on normal at first. I have GA platinum, beaten U2 in hard (sometime this year I'll go for crushing) and I want to revisit sometime U1 too. But 3? Never again, that game is bad for my health. If I want to have a heart attack sometime, I'll play that thing on crushing lol

I remember reading something about the story forced to be written around set pieces already made instead of the other way around. I wonder if that is true.

One of the Last of Us' directors allegedly wanted to kill off Elena in Uncharted 2.
I hope they don't kill off Elena. She is one of the best video game heroines, with personality too.

Well, it's not like Bruce or Neil have shown that they have any interest in returning to Uncharted. And why would they? They basically have free rein to make anything they want.

stryke

It's like they decided the level first and Amy had to adapt the story to fill all those stages.

It's how they approached UC2 as well, it just seems they did a better job at stringing them together. I wish I had the energy to source this but I'm fairly certain the train segment was the first to be prototyped and actually the last to be completed, but for a long time they didn't have a reason as to why Drake had to work his way through the train.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I remember reading something about the story forced to be written around set pieces already made instead of the other way around. I wonder if that is true.
That's true about Uncharted and also the BioShock games. Source: Amy Hennig and Ken Levine.
IIRC it's true of all games, because re-writing is easier than modeling, scripting, texturing environments and changing game mechanics.

stryke

I'm not sure if this should be of concern. It's most likely a coincidence but timing is a little suspect -

s9nTYYS.png

D2uJ90l.png

It's not like we're seeing a mass exodus so it's probably unrelated to whatever is going down at ND at the moment but to not even stick around for 2 months...he must have not liked it there.

I'm not sure if this should be of concern. It's most likely a coincidence but timing is a little suspect -

s9nTYYS.png

D2uJ90l.png

It's not like we're seeing a mass exodus so it's probably unrelated to whatever is going down at ND at the moment but to not even stick around for 2 months...he must have not liked it there.

The guy can't even use an apostrophe correctly*. I'm not surprised Naughty Dog 'forced' him 'out'.

Unless he clumsily meant, it has felt like, but there was no joke material in that reading of it.

cameron

http://i.imgur.com/s9nTYYS.png

http://i.imgur.com/D2uJ90l.png

He's a smart programming dude. He did a Siggraph presentation last year on UE4 shading. Probably why ND took interest in him. But studio culture is a real thing; Epic and ND may differ greatly in that aspect. The timing is a bit peculiar, though.

Top Bottom