• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unlocking Destiny Early (Xbox One)

cripterion

There has to be something done about game releases. The fact that I can go on twitch and watch people play the full game already or people can buy it from another region and play it while others have to wait until 3am is insane.

Something has to change.

Not to be a dick but one day isn't going to kill anyone, I get some of you are enthusiastic to play this but it's not like you have to wait for months...

EvB

Out of curiosity, someone who has it locked still, can they post a picture of the dialogue box that appears when you highlight Desting in my Games and Apps and press L+R+Back

Tawpgun

3am could be there because it might be a simultaneous release by country. Unfortunaly the us has 3 time zones and whatever Hawaii is.

The most logical thing would be to have the game unlock when it's midnight where you live but I guess they don't have the capabity to do that?

majik13

3am could be there because it might be a simultaneous release by country. Unfortunaly the us has 3 time zones and whatever Hawaii is.

The most logical thing would be to have the game unlock when it's midnight where you live but I guess they don't have the capabity to do that?

I'm prety sure that is the reason. there is only 1 NA store, and people could just change their location and timezone, easily to circumvent.

But that is a moot point when there have been plenty of games released digitally on PSN that have unlocked at 9:00PM PST, 12:00AM EST.

Maybe since it is such a huge game that they didnt want to piss off retailers too much?

Hawaiian time zone is Hawaiian ST. :p

I just moved from Hawaii and loved digital releases. I'd be playing a game at 2100 with enough time to get some game time in before bed and work the next day. All this won't matter anyways in a few hours.

There has to be something done about game releases. The fact that I can go on twitch and watch people play the full game already or people can buy it from another region and play it while others have to wait until 3am is insane.

Something has to change.

No matter when you get the game, there will somebody else out there who has it 3 days before you. It's part of gaming life and has been since we starting getting together to discuss this shit on the internet.

Just be thankful it's not like 10 years ago when you couldn't tell what store would have it on release day, it was whenever they got it. Hell, even Gamestop wouldn't have games on release day a lot of times. If all you had was a Wal-Mart nearby, you were waiting until Friday or beyond.

We have it good these days, just play it when it's unlocked in your area and be happy.

Boston

I live in the US, I could switch my location to Japan, buy the game on the Japan store for cheaper and play it now?

flkraven

its also not going to kill publishers if they release it everywhere simultaneously.

I'm not the most tech-savvy person in the world, but wouldn't it be bad if every single region unlocked the game at the exact same moment and slammed the various servers?

Orca

People got this to work by picking it off the HK store? Did they just switch regions on the console or set up a new account? A friend wants to play with me today and doesn't have it preordered but I'm not sure he'd be up for making a new account of that's required.

lockload

OK this is probably old but its been confirmed by people i personally know who pre ordered from the hong kong store a week or so ago and live in the uk and their pre orders unlocked as expected 3 hours ago at midnight hong kong time

Their console was set to hong kong region at midnight and it unlocked they then switch console back to uk and have been playing fine for the last 3 hours

So definitely timezone of store that you purchased in

lockload

Playing a few hours in advance is worth paying extra? Hmm
Activision get on that ea subscription thing pronto!

Depends what you mean by a few hours, 15 hours i think

The game is actually cheaper on the HK store than US price so not sure about he extra 40 bucks comment

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Got Destiny an hour ago from HK store. So far its been 100% worth the extra 40 bucks :)

Err the game is cheaper in the HK store than the US store.
I believe HK has the cheapest price right now of all the XBone stores...Unless India is cheaper but last time i tried india as a region i got nothing.

Enjoyed my quick 3 hour session, but damn i got shit to do.
Be back online in a couple of hours dont know if US gaf is gonna have unlocked the game yet but hoping some gaffers will be online, no one i know has Destiny yet so FireTeams are a bitch to setup.

Ive already seen people who are pushing level 10 at the tower.....thats damn damn fast, theyll be done with this game before USGaf even gets a chance to play.

How do I purchase Destiny from the HK store? (Im in the US)

Switch console region to Hong Kong?
Have you not read any of this thread yet?

Err the game is cheaper in the HK store than the US store.
I believe HK has the cheapest price right now of all the XBone stores...Unless India is cheaper but last time i tried india as a region i got nothing.

Enjoyed my quick 3 hour session, but damn i got shit to do.
Be back online in a couple of hours dont know if US gaf is gonna have unlocked the game yet but hoping some gaffers will be online, no one i know has Destiny yet so FireTeams are a bitch to setup.

Ive already seen people who are pushing level 10 at the tower.....thats damn damn fast, theyll be done with this game before USGaf even gets a chance to play.

Switch console region to Hong Kong?
Have you not read any of this thread yet?

I think he means how do you pay for it,when you try to register your card it defaults to the HK country so you cant use your own credit/debit card.

Black_Stride

I think he means how do you pay for it,when you try to register your card it defaults to the HK country so you cant use your own credit/debit card.

Thanks for the snark. I've done that but I'm not sure how to set up payment. I'm getting an error using my US zip code and phone number for my credit card.

You guys must be doing something wrong.
Because, i use my current credit card(not from HK) to buy Destiny and it unlocked perfectly.
Just enter a random address when asked, after the purchase download and you should be all set.
Switch back to your region after you have game'd a bit and you should be sweet.
HK post code is 999077 fyi.

Thanks for the snark. I've done that but I'm not sure how to set up payment. I'm getting an error using my US zip code and phone number for my credit card.

It's possible that your credit card company is simply blocking it due to it being in Hong Kong. Maybe?

Black_Stride

It's possible that your credit card company is simply blocking it due to it being in Hong Kong. Maybe?

Thats actually possible.
But i would think (if they work like my bank) that you would still get charged and then you would get the call from Anti-Fraud about a suspicious purchase in Hong Kong.

Top Bottom