• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unlocking Destiny Early (Xbox One)

If I buy US MS credit will I be able buy from HK

Only if you buy the credit from Hong Kong...

Microsoft credit is region locked so if you buy USA credit it will only work in the USA store

You might be able to get Chinese Microsoft cash cards online though and those would work...

Daemul

Wait, so not only can you play it early, you can get around paying your local price and get it cheaper? Surely MS will put an end to this eventually.

It's been going on since the 360 days, they haven't bothered to fix it yet.

Mononoke

Banned
It's been going on since the 360 days, they haven't bothered to fix it yet.

As a 360 owner I never knew this! Crazy. I'm surprised MS and their retail partners would be okay with this. I would have thought they would ban accounts for using this to get it cheaper than their region.

Smidget

Only if you buy the credit from Hong Kong...

Microsoft credit is region locked so if you buy USA credit it will only work in the USA store

You might be able to get Chinese Microsoft cash cards online though and those would work...

A-ha, good to know. Thanks for that info, Gamestop's Treasure Hunt will have to be done from the US store only I guess ;)

Daemul

If I buy US MS credit will I be able buy from HK

No, you need to buy Hong Kong credit. Each store uses it's own credit.

Can you be banned from buying from other regions to pay less

If you could, a lot of us on GAF would have been banned years ago :p. Money is money to MS and publishers, and the amount of us who actually do this is pretty insignificant tbh. The vast majority of people pay what their home store tells them to pay lol

Larogue

No they actually wouldn't mind having all their sales through the us store since they get 100% of the money, unlike the international stores where part of the money goes to tax, international business partners...etc

Squoig

Banned
The difference in price is crazy!

The digital guardian edition is 559 HKD which works out at roughly £44.

The UK store price is £85.99!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
There has to be something done about game releases. The fact that I can go on twitch and watch people play the full game already or people can buy it from another region and play it while others have to wait until 3am is insane.

Something has to change.

Waiting till 3am? Wow, just wow. Such delay, much waiting.

In theory yes. Circumventing regional pricing or store content is against the ToS. To my knowledge they never banned people for this.

However, people were banned for using an exploit to download free games from a region that didn't support Xbox Live.

Search for "Xbox" and "Oman".

I don't think Microsoft is going to ban people. As far as I remember some Microsoft guy even promoted the region free stores in this forum.

The difference in price is crazy!

The digital guardian edition is 559 HKD which works out at roughly £44.

The UK store price is £85.99!

This is the only problem I see.

So, as a UK Gaffer, who bought the game on the US store, does what we have found out mean I will have to wait until the it is 12:01am in the US?

Daemul

As a 360 owner I never knew this! Crazy. I'm surprised MS and their retail partners would be okay with this. I would have thought they would ban accounts for using this to get it cheaper than their region.

Yeah, all you have to do is go on xbox.com and create a US account, download it to your 360, use a fake US address for billing and wallah, you can now buy games from the US store. Of course, you need to get some US credit first lol

100% of the digital items on my 360 are from the US store, I have never had to pay those ridiculous prices you see on the UK store. Fuck paying that shit.

rrc1594

I'm going all digital this gen, so you telling me I can start paying 40 for my games. Just by switching to HK. As a college student this is music to my ears!

Boston

There's a lot of conflicting info in here. Can someone break it down step by step on how to get this game early in the US and for $44??

darthbob

You can be banned for anything, but yeah, this would be Marketplace fraud.

So, they could ban you for it if they wanted to. Whether or not they actually do is, well up to them.

You can be banned for anything, but yeah, this would be Marketplace fraud.

So, they could ban you for it if they wanted to. Whether or not they actually do is, well up to them.
region free console

how are you breaking a law when there's no law there in the first place

Squoig

Banned
isn't Dlc region locked though?

how would the season pass that's included work?

As you said: region free console. As long as the licence has been payed for, then you should be able to download it from any region store.

Or you'll just have to switch back to HK to download and switch back. We'll see what happens

Squoig

Banned
It was considered marketplace fraud on the Xbox 360. I don't have an XB1 so I don't know if that policy was changed.

With the 360 you needed to have a live account registered to a region to access it's store. The One lets you switch regions freely, independent of your Live account.

RdN

It was considered marketplace fraud on the Xbox 360. I don't have an XB1 so I don't know if that policy was changed.

Not only that, but the Xbox 360 marketplace had IP blocking based on location.

If people start changing regions so much on the Xbox One, I sure we'll see it make a come back soon.

If people want the facts about buying from a 'foreign' store, have a read here: http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/co...asing-games-us-xbox-one-store-any-region.html

This guy basically went through the ToS to find exactly what 'rules' were being broken by doing this.

In brief, there is only one:

6.3. Billing. By providing Microsoft with a payment method, you (i) represent that you are authorized to use the payment method that you provided and that any payment information you provide is true and accurate;

So, if you have bought pre-paid cards, then there is NO issues doing this.

And I quote the great Albert Penello from our very own Gaf.

It's totally different.

First - all games are WW signed. Not all 360 games are.

Second - The console will work everywhere (keeping in mind Power Supplies)

Third - You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family.

Now, of course, if you were using Pre-Paid cards... :)

You will still find that music and video content can be geo-restricted based on licensing. (e.g. Netflix works only in supported countries)

Freeser

Has anyone that previously purchased a game from the HK store had any issues with DLC? Did you buy the DLC in your home region or switch back to do so? Also, does licensing work the same? i.e. licenses stay for both console and gamertag when you switch back to your home region.

If anyone purchased Titanfall from the US store with a UK box they can answer these questions too as it is the same scenario.

Thanks.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
This is depressing. Was hoping to play this when I get home. Now i am not gonna wake up at 3AM. Fuck that shit. Will play tomorrow night.

Izuna

Banned
Gunna be buying off of the HK store from now on, or standard UK. I would have played Destiny all night but I had to get it from the US store. FUUUUCK

Gunna be buying off of the HK store from now on, or standard UK. I would have played Destiny all night but I had to get it from the US store. FUUUUCK

Typically, games in the US release on a Tuesday. For most games around the world, it is a Thursday or Friday.

It is only the games like COD or Destiny (HUGE games) which have a worldwide release date.

So, in most cases, it is best to stick with the US store if you want it early.

Well after waking up and it still not being unlocked I gave MS a call. They acknowledged some customers are having problems with unlocking the pre-load and offered a refund if the game had not unlocked within a week. A fucking week. Fucking disgraceful treatment of your customers Microsoft.

Korosenai

Well after waking up and it still not being unlocked I gave MS a call. They acknowledged some customers are having problems with unlocking the pre-load and offered a refund if the game had not unlocked within a week. A fucking week. Fucking disgraceful treatment of your customers Microsoft.
Lol

Top Bottom