• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unlocking Destiny Early (Xbox One)

Oscar

I think faking your address in order to buy from the other marketplaces is the shady part.
Whether or not bans are incoming for that is unknown.

I highly doubt just switching your location to NZ and playing Destiny early will result in a ban though.

I bought mine with USA set as my location (Where i'm from), but switched my location to NZ before downloading the game so I still paid whatever I'm supposed to as a USA resident.

Current screen is:

iAI8Fne.jpg

Should work, we'll see.

If this works I may actually buy my digital copy on the X1 instead of PS4. All of my gamer friends are on PC wishing and hoping for the day it gets released on Steam. Jokes on them!

phants

I might do this too! Oh wait, I live in NZ. Pretty rare that's an advantage in gaming, but I'll take it!

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
I don't think PS4 is region free, so no.

The ps4 is region free. As was the ps3. It's pretty much the reason why the Xbox one is region free. Initially, the Xbox was announced to be region locked, causing people to ask Sony if the ps4 would be. It wasn't, and therefore xbox fans started protesting and voila.

mcfrank

The ps4 is region free. As was the ps3. It's pretty much the reason why the Xbox one is region free. Initially, the Xbox was announced to be region locked, causing people to ask Sony if the ps4 would be. It wasn't, and therefore xbox fans started protesting and voila.

Ah I not sure then. I have a ps4 but am getting Destiny on XB1 so that is all I have tested on.

Oscar

Ah I not sure then. I have a ps4 but am getting Destiny on XB1 so that is all I have tested on.

I believe this is only possible on PS4 by making a new NZ based account and then purchasing the preload, not as simple as with the XB1.

Pure speculation but buying it on a new zealand psn account and then once it unlocks switching to your main account MIGHT work. I think I remember some people doing that with diablo a couple weeks ago. No clue if it will work though.

mcfrank

Pure speculation but buying it on a new zealand psn account and then once it unlocks switching to your main account MIGHT work. I think I remember some people doing that with diablo a couple weeks ago. No clue if it will work though.

Seems like that could work.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I doubt this will ever work, that would be the silliest oversight ever if you could just change timezones and gain early access from wherever. I don't think a software company like Microsoft would leave such a workaround in place as it would be one of the most obvious ways people would try and 'trick' the system.

Worth trying though, I don't think they'll be handing out bans because you're not breaking any TOS.

Rlight

Neo Member
I believe you can only region switch once every 3 months. So this will leave you stuck in NZ time for a while.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

ZeroX03

Banned
I believe this is only possible on PS4 by making a new NZ based account and then purchasing the preload, not as simple as with the XB1.

Yes that would work, except Destiny costs $100USD from the New Zealand store, do you really want to pay $40 extra just to play it 20 hours early?

Bsigg12

I believe you can only region switch once every 3 months. So this will leave you stuck in NZ time for a while.

There's a difference between console and account region. My gamertag is tied to the US and changing that to New Zealand would lock it there for 3 months. The console on the other hand can be changed at will on the system.

Rlight

Neo Member
There's a difference between console and account region. My gamertag is tied to the US and changing that to New Zealand would lock it there for 3 months. The console on the other hand can be changed at will on the system.

REALLY? Interesting! Might be worth a shot then!

Super tempted to try this. Don't want to lose access to playing Destiny at all just to play it a 18 hours early though. Ugh. I wanna play it tomorrow though...

This is pretty much my biggest fear. I don't want to be the guinea pig that gets their account locked.

On XB1 your account is region free. You can change it as you like.

This would be in around 4 hours right? Gonna try it but I bet the servers won't be up.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I don't know why people are worrying. Us in Europe have bought from the US store and got early access on the Tuesday rather than waiting till Friday. I don't see how this is really any different apart from having the game already installed.

I seriously doubt our accounts will be locked or affected in any way. I bought Watch Dogs from the Australian store and was playing it Monday afternoon.

Bsigg12

I don't know why people are worrying. Us in Europe have bought from the US store and got early access on the Tuesday rather than waiting till Friday. I don't see how this is really any different apart from having the game already installed.

I seriously doubt our accounts will be locked or affected in any way. I bought Watch Dogs from the Australian store and was playing it Monday afternoon.

With preloading of games now, this would mean that anyone could start playing as soon as it goes live in New Zealand. For me, that's 19 hours earlier than when it would have unlocked living in the United States. It's kinda crazy.

lockload

Exactly ive got 6 or 7 games early from the USA store on the tuesday instead of waiting to friday

Either way midnight in NZ is 12 midday in the uk so by the time i get home from work im guessing someone will have switched to NZ on console and tried it

I wish games would just come out at one specific time worldwide. Why should I have to wait until midnight if people on the east coast get it 3 hours earlier?

Just seems the whole thing is madness.

Ahh well that settles it for me :) I'll be playing monday after class :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wish games would just come out at one specific time worldwide. Why should I have to wait until midnight if people on the east coast get it 3 hours earlier?

Just seems the whole thing is madness.

EST gets screwed digitally, usually. This isn't unlocking until 3am even when I can go to a store and buy it at midnight.

It is stupid.

ElRenoRaven

EST gets screwed digitally, usually. This isn't unlocking until 3am even when I can go to a store and buy it at midnight.

It is stupid.

it really is. They need to find some way that they can roll out digital games per timezone. You would think they could do that in a way that doesn't screw everyone over.

mcfrank

This is good news. However, are characters tied to server or account? I'm assuming that it's account.

That is a good question, but since there is no server selection screen, it must be account. They would not delete somebody's character because they moved to another country.

Top Bottom