• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unlocking Destiny Early (Xbox One)

mcfrank

Hasn't MS banned people for playing games prior to street date in the past?

As I posted earlier,

For all the talk of people getting early game bans it doesn't match with my experience. I live in LA and know which stores break street dates and have gotten the following games early usually the Friday before,

Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo Reach
Halo 4
Mass effect 3
Street fighter x Tekken
Rock band 3
Guitar hero 2
GTA 5

I have played all of these games online on xbox or playstation as soon as I got them and never seen a ban. If you legitimately payed for a game, it is highly unlikely you will get banned. For me, this trick is actually getting the game later than I would by finding a place that will sell it early.

pixlexic

Banned
Patience-yoda.jpg

RoKKeR

This seems like it's too easy...

If it works this time around I imagine it will be the last time. Can't see MS letting something like this slide.

mcfrank

This seems like it's too easy...

If it works this time around I imagine it will be the last time. Can't see MS letting something like this slide.

What do they care? It encourages people to buy digital which makes more money without them pissing off retailers by advertising early release. It is good for Microsoft.

I need to know what you did.
New Zealand PSN account.

I don't have payment information attached to the account though, so it's likely I'm just going to be locked out of the game as soon as it releases and they attempt to charge me for it.

Though I am very tempted to actually drop more money on an early release like this, I already have the same version pre-ordered on my US PSN account, and I can't get a refund on that as far as I know.

Or did you just buy from the NZ store/account?
Yeah.

majik13

I don't think PS4 is region free, so no.

Yes on Xbox you can change it back to local time.

XOne is region free?

Edit: I guess so, and I guess PS4 is as well.

What do they care? It encourages people to buy digital which makes more money without them pissing off retailers by advertising early release. It is good for Microsoft.

just because it isn't advertized doesn't mean they cant or wont be pissed. But who knows.

Mononoke

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if MS caught on with this. And while it's not a breach of TOS, I could see them banning accounts for trying this (if it ends up being a big thing). But even if they don't, i can't see them leaving this exploit up after Destiny (again, if it becomes a big thing where a lot folks do it).

Would have been better if people doing this didn't bring attention to it lol

Personally, I could care less. I don't get why MS would care either. If someone really wants to play this earlier by switching time zones, then why not? It's not like a majority of people will do this. It will be such a small %. So just let them be.

Wouldn't be surprised if MS caught on with this. And while it's not a breach of TOS, I could see them banning accounts for trying this (if it ends up being a big thing). But even if they don't, i can't see them leaving this exploit up after Destiny (again, if it becomes a big thing where a lot folks do it).

Would have been better if people doing this didn't bring attention to it lol

Personally, I don't care. I think the whole release date stuff is kind of silly anyways.
This same thing happened with Diablo III though, and while Sony caught on and fixed it for both Diablo and future releases, Microsoft didn't do anything about it.

Mononoke

Banned
This same thing happened with Diablo III though, and while Sony caught on and fixed it for both Diablo and future releases, Microsoft didn't do anything about it.

So you guys think MS will just continue to allow it to happen? That's interesting. I edited my post. But I honestly don't see why these companies should care. I highly doubt this is more than a very tiny % of users that would do this.

Sofa King

I'll cancel my preorder for physical copy if this works. I actually think this is the carrot that consoles should be using to get people to buy digital (buy digital, get games for the weekend before physical release).

Tak3n

Banned
The Bans people keep going on about were for Halo 4 if I recall when a leaked copy of the game was pirated...

and so MS looked at people playing early and down came the ban hammer...

I can not see why MS will be bothered about people playing a day early, as there will be people with the disc version today/ tomorrow that will be playing early...

Care to elaborate what happened with Diablo 3?
Originally you could pre-order Diablo III from any region on PSN, pre-load the entire thing, then switch over to a New Zealand account and it would show that region's release time.

So I could buy the game from my US account, pre-load it, and play it early by just switching over to my New Zealand account to unlock it, then switching back to my US account so my progress saves to the account I'm actually going to use.

But shortly before the New Zealand release, this got fixed, while the similar method Xbox Live users could use never got fixed.

Since then, it doesn't seem to work the way it was going to for Diablo III.

For instance, if I want to play Destiny early, I'm going to have to buy pre-order and pre-load Destiny using my New Zealand account, because the US version and New Zealand version are counted as two different games.

Right now I have two versions of Destiny installed on my PS4. I've got the one I pre-loaded from my US account, and the one I pre-loaded from my New Zealand account.

Sounds like a way of getting your console banned. I wouldn't risk it.

Why would they ban you for changing a setting on your console? This is not an exploit, there aren't any mods or VPN setups involved.

Sure...they could ban you. If they feel Xbox One is doing well enough and have no interest in keeping their customers.

Over the last few years I invested a lot of my money in their ecosystem. This includes digital games on Xbox 360/One, Xbox Live, Xbox Music and EA Access subscriptions.

If they feel the need to ban me because I started buying my games in stores that don't match my physical location or for unlocking games a few hours early by simply changing a console setting then they should go ahead and do it. As a result I'd simply suppport the competition.

I would have never tried Metro Redux if it weren't available for 19 € in the HK store. I also would never pay 99 € for Destiny DGE in the German store. In the end they still got 73 € of my money because I bought it in the US store instead.

If the people at Microsoft have a problem with their customers changing regions to buy or unlock content early, they should implement IP locks again.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
uh-oh?

from support.xbox.com

You won’t be able to change your region if any of the following conditions apply:

You changed regions within the last three months.

EDIT: nevermind. this is for migrating your actual live account, not the console

Oscar

uh-oh?

from support.xbox.com
Apparently this was the case with the 360. I've been able to change my region multiple times on XB1. Either way, I don't see myself buying anything else digitally for the next 3 months so I'm good.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
that was actually for migrating your live account. xbone migration shouldnt be an issue. whew

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
"They" (MS) don't necessarily care. Microsoft's retail partners, which are required to street date the game for midnight, care very much. Digital gaming is already a give and take. Retailers would be greatly displeased if pre-orders were canceled because you could digitally play it a day earlier. I mean why do you think the pre-load exists (with the unlock date) in the first place? Why don't you just set your console date to 8am 9/9 right now and try and see?

The only realistic chance is PS4 or XBONE users downloading the game from the NZ store. THAT might actually work. But just downloading the US version and futzing with your clock (whether time or region) makes about as much sense as showing up to a midnight launch with your watch set ahead two hours and telling them YOUR clock says midnight so it's ok.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft has banned people for all kinds of little things in the past. No one can say you'll be safe with absolute assuredness unless you're protected by the terms of service -- and even then, you might still get screwed temporarily.

Personally, though, I think it's worth the risk.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Microsoft has banned people for all kinds of little things in the past. No one can say you'll be safe with absolute assuredness unless you're protected by the terms of service -- and even then, you might still get screwed temporarily.

Personally, though, I think it's worth the risk.

this is seriously all myth.

mcfrank

"They" (MS) don't necessarily care. Microsoft's retail partners, which are required to street date the game for midnight, care very much. Digital gaming is already a give and take. Retailers would be greatly displeased if pre-orders were canceled because you could digitally play it a day earlier. I mean why do you think the pre-load exists (with the unlock date) in the first place? Why don't you just set your console date to 8am 9/9 right now and try and see?

The only realistic chance is PS4 or XBONE users downloading the game from the NZ store. THAT might actually work. But just downloading the US version and futzing with your clock (whether time or region) makes about as much sense as showing up to a midnight launch with your watch set ahead two hours and telling them YOUR clock says midnight so it's ok.

Which is exactly what we are doing.

As far as I understand, to unlock your pre load you download a small 'license' file from the store. If you have your xbox set up to access a store where that license will be up earlier..you're golden.

Bry0

This isn't all that different from using a vpn to play pc games early. I've done that all the time and there is no issue, I don't see why MS would ban for it, thats just silly.

Bsigg12

Well we'll find out tomorrow if it works. People already switch to the US to buy games for cheaper and then go back to a EU region and that works just fine. This is a little different but we'll see in just under 18 hours.

RyudBoy

I dare Microsoft to ban me for buying a digital copy of Destiny and playing it early...

All they need at this point is more negative word of mouth.

RoKKeR

What I meant to say is that publishers aren't going to be as open to it as MS may.

Mononoke

Banned
Well we'll find out tomorrow if it works. People already switch to the US to buy games for cheaper and then go back to a EU region and that works just fine. This is a little different but we'll see in just under 18 hours.

I'm pretty sure it will work. Unless they make a fix between now and the release date. I'm more so thinking, they might do something about it in the future if this starts to become a big thing. As someone else pointed out, MS probably doesn't care. But their retail partners do. All it takes is them complaining about it, and MS would make the fix.

Top Bottom