• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
stannis was the best

his end on the show still stings

Yup. I was in Vegas for a bachelor party, and there was enough of a lull in the festivities that I could sneak off and watch the finale. Friends found me with a glass of scotch at the hotel bar soon after. Ugh, I couldn't believe it.

I still doubt that comment. Let's not forget where Stannis is right now: stuck in a crofter's village with ravens that can only fly to Winterfell. There's literally no way for him to send a message to Winterfell before the battle begins. Which suggests that Stannis must win the battle and retake Winterfell, given that's the only place with access to ravens that can fly to the Wall.

So did Martin spoil all that? I doubt it. If Shireen burns in Winds it'll either be

1) Melisandre doing it on her own, to revive Jon/wake stone dragon
2) Stannis wins Winterfell, Others arrive somewhere and Stannis writes to Melisandre telling her to burn Shireen in order to wake a dragon to defeat the Others

I really doubt it.

I still doubt that comment. Let's not forget where Stannis is right now: stuck in a crofter's village with ravens that can only fly to Winterfell. There's literally no way for him to send a message to Winterfell before the battle begins. Which suggests that Stannis must win the battle and retake Winterfell, given that's the only place with access to ravens that can fly to the Wall.

So did Martin spoil all that? I doubt it. If Shireen burns in Winds it'll either be

2) Stannis wins Winterfell, Others arrive somewhere and Stannis writes to Melisandre telling her to burn Shireen in order to wake a dragon to defeat the Others

I really doubt it.

They definitely misspoke when they claimed GRRM had confirmed Stannis has a role in Shireen's burning, as Iain Glenn (I don't think I've every typed his name correctly on the first try) was basing his commends on D&D's statements after S05E09 aired.

If Stannis is to have a role in it then like you said he must either take Winterfell beforehand or he loses to the Boltons and retreats to Castle Black. The former seems more likely, given the weather conditions in the North.

Seeing how perfect Dillane was for the role makes me all the more pissed off about his mishandling in the show.

No monologue about his brother's death? Or not asking for the crown?

Such a waste and for what? Some forced romances, Yara and the dogs?

We deserved a better show, I'm getting retroactively hateful of the show.

Bigfoot

Any one pick up the Season 5 Blu ray set yet? Any cool extras in this set?

I just found out it came out yesterday. I've been buying every season so no point in stopping now. I don't get HBO so they is my way of supporting the show.

Any one pick up the Season 5 Blu ray set yet? Any cool extras in this set?

I just found out it came out yesterday. I've been buying every season so no point in stopping now. I don't get HBO so they is my way of supporting the show.
Mine arrived yesterday. Haven't checked out the features yet, packaging is great as usual though.

KahooTs

Christ alive, this was a five minute scene two years ago.

Shocking news- there isn't time to fit every single monologue a character makes into an adaptation.

You'd think they would at least try to work around fitting in the best most character defining stuff though. Why adapt something if you're not going to try and hit those highs? The Stannis stuff was just flat, boring, it's no surprise Dillane wouldn't understand the appeal if he has never read the books, the excitement for his character was all hype from stuff that never made it to the show.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I feel like I'm the only person besides Dillane that hates Stannis, both book and show. While I think he's one of the few characters that had more claim to the iron throne than the Lannisters, I always felt that he was an unlikable cunt.

Dillane was perfect for the role, and I think he was the perfect Stannis. I just don't understand the "Stannis the Mannis" thing. He's a dick. I found him an interesting character because of the aforementioned cunti-ness and Dick-ness, but not a character I want to root for. I'm glad he got his comeuppance (I haven't finished season 5 yet; I'm about halfway through).

Turin

Banned
Stannis was interesting. I didn't hate him but I felt he was deranged and on an inevitable path of self-destruction.

I've always had a soft spot for the Hound. The show version far more than the book version(I didn't read the books till after S1).

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Stannis was interesting. I didn't hate him but I felt he was deranged and on an inevitable path of self-destruction.

I've always had a soft spot for the Hound. The show version far more than the book version(I didn't read the books till after S1).

Hate is a bit of a strong word, because I do find the character interesting as well. I just never understood the "Stannis the Mannis" style adulation of the character. I thought he was just as bad as the other assholes in the books.

I like both book and show Hound. I think show Hound is a bit easier to empathize with because of the subtle emotion that Rory McCann displays during a lot of key scenes. In the books, it's a bit harder to see that the Hound is feeling anything other than anger and rage, and since he isn't a POV character, we don't get into his head. On the show, though, we can see more of his humanity, which helps us empathize with him more. He's definitely one of my favorite characters on the show. Not a good guy, but not black and white evil either. I think the episode where he helps Sansa after Joffrey is being a cunt in Season 1, is when I realized there was more to him than I thought (I was actually in the middle of reading the first book when an asshole co-worker purposefully spoiled Ned's storyline for me, so I just said fuck it, and started watching the show and reading the book at the same time, which was actually kind of neat to see how the show was adapting what I was seeing. I still finished the book before the season ended, though).

Sean C

On the show, though, we can see more of his humanity, which helps us empathize with him more.
I really don't see that. The Hound in the books has many times more characterization and development. The show cut down his interactions with Sansa almost to nothing, and those are key to understanding his whole storyline.

I really don't see that. The Hound in the books has many times more characterization and development. The show cut down his interactions with Sansa almost to nothing, and those are key to understanding his whole storyline.

I've said it before but I also feel like him being so much older in the show meant those scenes would never really hit home.

Perhaps it could have been rewritten to a more fatherly affection towards Sansa but I'm actually glad they steered clear of any suggested romance between the two (and hope it stays that way).

Christ alive, this was a five minute scene two years ago.

Shocking news- there isn't time to fit every single monologue a character makes into an adaptation.
A five minute scene which took more than 5 hours to create and should have taken less than 5 seconds to be casually dismissed from the writers table.

I really doubt it.

NIGHT LAMP THEORY

Read it. :D

HAWDOKEN

Hate is a bit of a strong word, because I do find the character interesting as well. I just never understood the "Stannis the Mannis" style adulation of the character. I thought he was just as bad as the other assholes in the books.
For me, Stannis represented the underdog and I tend to root for an underdog. I also liked his dry sense of humor (mainly in the book) and his interactions with Jon (also mainly in the book).

As a side note, I love the show because it introduced me to this really engaging story. On rewatches, however, the timeline switch with Stannis getting financial support from the Iron Bank before he sails for the north breaks the immersion. The logic of that decision doesn't work because he has knowledge of Joffery's death and knows that the Lannisters are weak. Under those circumstances, why wouldn't he take the sell swords back to King's Landing instead of wasting time in the north?

Another thing, I now realize what the vision Stannis saw in the flames (on the show) a great battle in the snow was a metaphor for Jon and Ramsay fighting and both he and Mel misinterpreted the meaning of the vision.

Moff

The logic of that decision doesn't work because he has knowledge of Joffery's death and knows that the Lannisters are weak. Under those circumstances, why wouldn't he take the sell swords back to King's Landing instead of wasting time in the north?

although you seem to love stannis so much you forgot his most important quote "I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne"

NeoGiff

although you seem to love stannis so much you forgot his most important quote "I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne"

A quote that didn't make it to the show.

Paganmoon

For me, Stannis represented the underdog and I tend to root for an underdog. I also liked his dry sense of humor (mainly in the book) and his interactions with Jon (also mainly in the book).

Stannis was never the underdog, his army would've crushed the Lannisters, even without the Tyrells, had it not been for the wildfire. After that he became the guy who lost and resented it and everyone (in my eyes anyway).

Natalie Dormer, who seems like a class act, talks about the age disparity between herself and Dean Charles-Chapman, pointing out that romantic pairings where the woman is much younger than the man are very common in movies (she holds up Blade Runner, where the 40-year-old Harrison Ford was paired with the 23-year-old Sean Young, as a random example). Also, she and Mylod talked sensitively about these issues on set—scenes between her and Tommen weren’t thrown in for titillation.

I mean, she's definitely correct in principle... but that's really not what's going on here is it?

The GoT wiki is claiming Tommen is 19 as of Season 6 but he was maybe 10 in season 1? He certainly doesn't act like an 18 year old in season 5, either.

NeoGiff

I mean, she's definitely correct in principle... but that's really not what's going on here is it?

The GoT wiki is claiming Tommen is 19 as of Season 6 but he was maybe 10 in season 1? He certainly doesn't act like an 18 year old in season 5, either.

Tommen being 19 is such an asspull. Where are they getting that information from?

What hooded figure?

vbjJmnE.jpg

From the behind the scenes video we can make a pretty solid guess than the character up front is
Meera

Hg6bQU6.png

There's a few reasons that make Stannis appealing to his fans. One is that he is the single person vowing for the Iron Throne who also realizes the dangers that lurks beyond the Wall. The Lannisters, especially Cersei, consistently dismissed the plies of the Night's Watch to send more men. So do basically all the other players. But Stannis drops his campaign and moves to the North. Yes, there's the argument that he's trying to get the support of the North, but he's doing it by defending the Wall, helping the Night's Watch, and even forging an alliance with the Wildlings.

Brakke

Banned
Stannis has the best posse, too. Davos is a champ, Shireen is lovely, and Mel is manipulative and a sometime fake wizard... but also she's a sometime legit af wizard.

Tiktaalik

Boiled Leather Audio Hour is doing a patreon so that they can get better equipment and justify doing shows more often. I'm considering donating because Boiled Leather is one of my favourite media sources on the book/show.

Speaking of Boiled Leather Audio Hour, they put up another episode, where they speculate on what they bet will happen in Winds of Winter. (lol like the book will ever come out..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom