• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
There's a few reasons that make Stannis appealing to his fans. One is that he is the single person vowing for the Iron Throne who also realizes the dangers that lurks beyond the Wall. The Lannisters, especially Cersei, consistently dismissed the plies of the Night's Watch to send more men. So do basically all the other players. But Stannis drops his campaign and moves to the North. Yes, there's the argument that he's trying to get the support of the North, but he's doing it by defending the Wall, helping the Night's Watch, and even forging an alliance with the Wildlings.

Stannis has the best posse, too. Davos is a champ, Shireen is lovely, and Mel is manipulative and a sometime fake wizard... but also she's a sometime legit af wizard.
Stannis is also funny.

HAWDOKEN

Stannis was never the underdog, his army would've crushed the Lannisters, even without the Tyrells, had it not been for the wildfire. After that he became the guy who lost and resented it and everyone (in my eyes anyway).

I saw him as the underdog because of the way he is introduced to us. He's isolated, discarded and unloved by those who, one might assume, would be the most loyal to him. Both of his brothers have disrespected him, but he remained loyal to them. When he needed that loyalty reciprocated, he's rewarded with Dragonstone from Robert and the usurping of his claim to the throne by Renly. Not to mention, he was all but ignored when he tried to gain support for his claim by traditional means. The only reasons he had the advantage going into Blackwater Bay were thanks to Daavos convincing Salador Saan and Mel pushing out two shadow babies!

In regards Stannis's percieved slights, I understand that much of this information comes secondhand from Daavos's perspective so it's likely to be intentionally biased in favor of Stannis. But come on...Stannis is a dick, but I can kind of understand why. Also, among the nobility presented in the book, he is the only one (that I remember) heeding council from people of "lower birth". He loves his disfigured daughter. He is outwardly conflicted about Mel's advice to burn Edric (hopefully I'm not conflating that with the show). He admits regret about his conflict with Renly...

The point is that Stannis, to me, is one of the best realized characters in the story. He can say things that can make the reader hate him (like being against Robb Stark), but later he will give some anecdote to help us sympathize with his frustrating cynicism. His character arc feels more like a character wave because he has had so many low and high moments in the book (and show) and I've enjoyed riding that wave.

Carice Van Houten is expecting a baby with her current beau, Guy Pearce. If Mel is in the next season, expect a lot of scenes with awkward blocking.

tumblr_o4aoy1cvHk1uuqhwfo2_540.jpg

Massa

“Dan and I talk about this a lot. This is not us trying to hype it. Usually there’s an episode or two we’re kind of nervous about, that didn’t turn out as well as we hoped. This season there is not a weak episode. We had great directors who knew what they were doing, paired with excellent [directors of photography]. We thought at the script stage it might be our strongest season. Then the episodes came in better than we hoped. We’re always reluctant to say it’s ‘the best season yet’ because so much of that is in the eyes of the beholder. And Dan and I are so close to it that it’s impossible to be unbiased. But that’s my sense – watching them all together now, this is the best one we’ve done. It’s also the one I’m proudest of, because it was the hardest.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/21/game-thrones-season-6-best

“Dan and I talk about this a lot. This is not us trying to hype it. Usually there’s an episode or two we’re kind of nervous about, that didn’t turn out as well as we hoped. This season there is not a weak episode. We had great directors who knew what they were doing, paired with excellent [directors of photography]. We thought at the script stage it might be our strongest season. Then the episodes came in better than we hoped. We’re always reluctant to say it’s ‘the best season yet’ because so much of that is in the eyes of the beholder. And Dan and I are so close to it that it’s impossible to be unbiased. But that’s my sense – watching them all together now, this is the best one we’ve done. It’s also the one I’m proudest of, because it was the hardest.”

rs_480x270-150615152612-Game_of_Thrones-Mothers_Mercy-6_33_11_PM_-_6_33_13_PM-2015-6-14-1.gif

The last time they said something like this was for season 4. Season 6 is better than season 5 confirmed.

Brakke

Banned
Did we ever figure out if that was vinegar for the cockles, or vanilla? I definitely heard "vanilla" on my recent rewatch, and anyway the idea of vanilla extract on shellfish is a really intriguing one so I want to believe.

Massa

"This is our best season because we didn't have to rely on George's story at all. He was holding us back!"

Come on, don't be sour. I think this could be one of the better seasons in large part because of the source material, a lot of people believe TWOW will be the new ASOS (in terms of everything coming together quickly and spectacularly).

Speevy

Banned
Did we ever figure out if that was vinegar for the cockles, or vanilla? I definitely heard "vanilla" on my recent rewatch, and anyway the idea of vanilla extract on shellfish is a really intriguing one so I want to believe.

I was a vanilla guy at first but it's definitely "vinegar" said in a really strange way.

Also vanilla didn't exist in medieval times, I don't think.

Speevy

Banned
Everything really hinges on how they handle 2 storylines.

-Iron Islands
-Tower of Joy

If they nail everything from those two, and we just assume the Battle for Winterfell will be good, we have a decent season.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

-Iron Islands
-Tower of Joy

If they nail everything from those two, and we just assume the Battle for Winterfell will be good, we have a decent season.

didn't the battle of winterfell already happen?

Also vanilla didn't exist in medieval times, I don't think.

It existed, just not in Eurasia. It came to the Old World during the 16th century. And GRRM is actually fairly accurate in his depictions of food compared to our world's history; much like vanilla, you won't find chocolate in the ASoIaF universe.

The only references to vanilla I could find are from places that are cooking food or beverages that appear in the books, and there only in conjunction with other spices in the form of mulled wine.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Sounds good to me. Season 4 is underrated imo.

Is it not considered the best season?

Also I have no hope for this show. I am going to watch it, but I just do not trust D&D anymore. They need to start developing characters again, and actually have them change for once.

Brakke

Banned
It existed, just not in Eurasia. It came to the Old World during the 16th century. And GRRM is actually fairly accurate in his depictions of food compared to our world's history; much like vanilla, you won't find chocolate in the ASoIaF universe.

The only references to vanilla I could find are from places that are cooking food or beverages that appear in the books, and there only in conjunction with other spices in the form of mulled wine.

Don't the Dornish use peppers? That's a New World crop, right?

However, that's the only exception that occurs to me. No potatoes in Westeros, I don't think.

Speevy

Banned

However, that's the only exception that occurs to me. No potatoes in Westeros, I don't think.

You obviously missed Olly's Mom, though she could be a witch given how much her son is on screen.

Iksenpets

Banned

When Arya is traveling with Yoren, they steal "ears of sweet corn" from a farmer, and talk about eating it straight off the cob. That one stood out to me. Also, I think I remember pumpkins being mentioned once, but I can't remember in what context. I don't actually think GRRM holds to the Old World only thing in the way Tolkien did.

Also, D&D are obviously going to say nice things about their show, but that's way more confident than they were about season 5. You could feel their nervousness over that one.

Gigglepoo

Come on, don't be sour. I think this could be one of the better seasons in large part because of the source material, a lot of people believe TWOW will be the new ASOS (in terms of everything coming together quickly and spectacularly).

I think it will be a good season. It's just funny hearing him boast how great it's going to be knowing that even if they're using plot threads George created, most of the writing is going to be done by the showrunners.

Also, I think I remember pumpkins being mentioned once, but I can't remember in what context. I don't actually think GRRM holds to the Old World only thing in the way Tolkien did.

Pumpkins were mentioned six times across the books.

That is true, there are Dornish peppers. However, perhaps that's just a name; after all, there's plenty of flora unique to the world of Ice and Fire, such as Sourleaf and ghost grass. I don't think GRRM ever described these peppers in particular. I just remember them being called "dragon peppers", which at the very least indicates that it's not something he just brought over from the real world.

Yeah I don't remember potatoes being mentioned in the books.

Speevy

Banned
Does anyone have a link to a really good season 1 to 5 recap, something other than the Gamesradar one. Just factual stuff, not loaded with jokes.

When Arya is traveling with Yoren, they steal "ears of sweet corn" from a farmer, and talk about eating it straight off the cob. That one stood out to me. Also, I think I remember pumpkins being mentioned once, but I can't remember in what context. I don't actually think GRRM holds to the Old World only thing in the way Tolkien did.

I still believe he's probably trying to avoid New World stuff that seems particularly exotic. Corn, pumpkins and peppers have been so ingrained in our conscious as being there forever, so they don't seem as weird as having vanilla or potatoes would be.

In other words, pumpkins don't feel as immersion-breaking as vanilla would be.

Iksenpets

Banned
The infamous Dornish gutbuster burritos and let's not forget the newest rage: Lysene kebabs.

I can imagine GRRM spending like half a page describing a Dornish burrito in excruciating detail, going over every little bit of the burrito that usually we'd take for granted.

Moff

I would be very surprised if this season was better than 5, and this thread here especially will be completely nuts because no one knows what's legit book material and what isn't. I daresay the thread will be better than the show.

Iksenpets

Banned
I would be very surprised if this season was better than 5, and this thread here especially will be completely nuts because no one knows what's legit book material and what isn't. I daresay the thread will be better than the show.

I think the fun of blindly trying to guess what's book material and what isn't is going to be my favorite part of this season. The recriminations when Winds comes out and proves some people wrong and some people right are probably going to get violent.

-Iron Islands
-Tower of Joy

Hmm. Iron Islands sucks and Tower of Joy was exactly one scene. How can everything hinge on those?

so...TWOW in 2016 ya or nah?

choofed.gif

I can imagine GRRM spending like half a page describing a Dornish burrito in excruciating detail, going over every little bit of the burrito that usually we'd take for granted.

"He looked at what the Dornish called a 'burrito'. It was minced meat wrapped in some light, flat bread, which seemed to be grilled. Taking a whiff, he could make out the strong scent of onion and Dornish peppers. Intrigued, he took a bite. The crumbliness of the meat, mixed with the juices of the peppers having softened the bread, caused the contraption come apart almost instantly. He chewed, feeling the oily texture of the stuffing slither down his throat like a snake made of fat, while the spices overpowered his senses, nearly bringing tears to his eyes. As his Dornish host looked upon his guest with concern, he swallowed, and coughed, but gave a thumbs up to signal his host that he was fine.
Little did he know that whenever something goes in, it would also have to come out..."

Moff

TWOW will be finished when the complete GOT blu ray set including all 8 seasons and the movie is released, the book will be the free goodie coming with the set

Brakke

Banned
Oh word I saw that Search of Ice And Fire site before, that's good to know about.

Season 6 isn't going to spoil any Book 6 content guys. Book 6 is just going to be six hundred pages of GRR describing nipples.

so...TWOW in 2016 ya or nah?

There's a chance it comes out in the Fall, but I wouldn't put money on it. If PhoenixDark hadn't gotten himself permabanned he could tell you how many days GRRM has available to write and give you an optimistic projection, but it's GRRM so he probably won't meet it.

Moff

If PhoenixDark hadn't gotten himself permabanned he could tell you how many days GRRM has available to write and give you an optimistic projection
damn, I really miss those, I remember when I joined GAF in 2013 he was already optimistic it might make 2014 based on GRRMs schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom